rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Report: 'Young, Hip Vibe' Strikes D.C.

http://gawker.com/#!5798898/report-young...hington-dc

Dudes that live in DC are gonna laugh at this article and this ridiculous comment. My friend forwarded this to me from gawker. It talks about DC becoming young and hip and the SWPL-ization of the city. It even goes as far to say that DC is on it's way to being considered a 'cool city'.

The icing on the cake is the first comment on the article. I still can't decide whether the guy is a closeted homosexual or a chump of chumps who gets off on getting dinner dates:

smhsmh Thu 05 May 2011 12:01 PM
I lived in NYC for 8 years (college plus 4 years of working). I'm now finishing grad school in DC and will start an AWESOME job three weeks after graduation. I love NYC, but DC is a really great place. It has everything I love about NYC but on a much smaller, more manageable scale. I'd be getting paid slightly more with my job in NYC, but my cost of living would be at least 30% more. I can actually afford to have my own, nice apartment in a great neighborhood in DC. I couldn't do that in NYC.

Great food, the city is really clean, interesting architecture everywhere, cheaper cost of living, great metro system, tons of culture (museums are FREE!), etc. The city is really starting to gentrify and areas like Columbia Heights have a cool confluence of diversity (ie. minorities have not been priced out, it's safe and also great for young people). Similar to NYC, the DC suburbs blow and I could never imagine living in them. Ick.

DC is missing the pretentiousness of NYC, which is A-OK with me. For a straight single guy, this city cannot be beat! The women are very attractive, approachable, successful and well educated. I've had an AWESOME time dating in this city, it's blown my mind. DC, due to the number of embassies, is extremely international with a wide variety of restaurants, clubs, types of music, etc. And yes, lots of gorgeous international women! The music and club scenes are great, we get 90% of the artists who make stops in NYC.

I'm really loving DC and don't miss NYC all that much. I still go up to NYC once a month to visit my friends, party with them and enjoy the city. However, I really do enjoy the fact that I get to come back to the relative quietness of DC. It's just a much more peaceful place with a higher standard of living than NYC. I'm not sure there's a better place to live in all of the US.
Edited by smhsmh at 05/05/11 12:10 PM

(I put this in the Girls forum since the choad talks about DC girls in his comment, but if it needs to be moved to travel then that's all good)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/cens...ml?hpid=z3

Quote:Quote:

“I was just going to be here for six months,” said Shinomiya, 28, who works as a lobbyist for an insurance company. He lives in a Glover Park apartment, practices yoga and bar-hops not just in Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle, but lately also around H Street, Penn Quarter and Logan Circle. “It’s just steadily gotten a lot more hip. A lot of my friends who left for grad school have come back.”

Yeah because grad degrees in pol sci is so fucking hip.

Funny thing is those people calling the city hip are seen as very UNHIP but us old-timers. All the bring is their SWPL baggage and Gap stylings. They are gentrifying everything and turning DC into a cookie cutter shithole without a scrap of edge or character.

I hate DC with all my heart.

I thought the cost of living was high up there? Then again, I'm spoiled being in Texas

"The cost of living" of a given place doesn't just include the dollar cost. There's also an opportunity cost of living in a shitty place with fewer options and daily irritations. A lot of morons like that beta commenter don't take that into account.

DC has a very high (true) cost of living. LA has a low one.

Quote: (05-06-2011 02:13 PM)Agent_GQ Wrote:  

Similar to NYC, the DC suburbs blow and I could never imagine living in them. Ick.

I've never heard a real man use the girlish semi-word "ick." That commenter was obviously a checkered-work-shirt-tucked-in-while-at-the-bar, lame beta supplicator with shriveled balls.

It's not surprising he finds those type of women "attractive." He has the attraction cues of a woman.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

DC is missing the pretentiousness of NYC, which is A-OK with me. For a straight single guy, this city cannot be beat! The women are very attractive, approachable, successful and well educated. I've had an AWESOME time dating in this city, it's blown my mind. DC, due to the number of embassies, is extremely international with a wide variety of restaurants, clubs, types of music, etc. And yes, lots of gorgeous international women! The music and club scenes are great, we get 90% of the artists who make stops in NYC.

I could see how someone could say this, if you like chunky 5's and 6's or Asian/Middle Eastern women this place could be paradise.

Well...it depends on the guy.

Some guys care only about her looks and could care less if she worked at Dairy Queen.

Me?...if a chick is not at least "close" to my income...I am not hollering at her.

To me...a paid "7" beats a broke "9".

"Great food, the city is really clean, interesting architecture everywhere, cheaper cost of living, great metro system, tons of culture (museums are FREE!), etc."

These are true positives. (Is the city really "clean" these days though?")

DC has some great things about it. It's international, people are sophisticated, smart, and the city itself is pretty beautiful.

The downsides:

Sucks if you have no dough/ connections
Girls suck (although there are some gems, the average is horrid)
The people suck: horrible attitudes. People are way ruder than NYC
The weather sucks outside of May
The last decade stole the cities "soul"

Although now I assume there is crack cocaine available on literally every corner.

Comparing it to NYC is laughable.

DC is a bad "B" grade city. Maybe the worst "B" grade city.

NYC is "A" grade all the way.

NYC has an energy and diversity of industries (banking, law, fashion, media) that DC will never be able to replicate. DC is also becomes a ghost town at night once all the office workers go home...except for a few parts (Gtown, Midtown, Adams Morgan) a few days a week (Fri and Sat) the place is dead at 9pm. The problem w/DC is the majority of industries it caters to having boring, lackluster people (law, government). Government workers are the laziest, blandest, most depressing, least passionate people around and that becomes somewhat contagious. They go thru the motions and count the days to retirement but they enjoy the security of a government job. The other problem is 3/4 of the city is off limits if you are looking to get shot and robbed in 'da hood

Quote: (05-07-2011 03:34 PM)Brian Wrote:  

NYC has an energy and diversity of industries (banking, law, fashion, media) that DC will never be able to replicate. DC is also becomes a ghost town at night once all the office workers go home...except for a few parts (Gtown, Midtown, Adams Morgan) a few days a week (Fri and Sat) the place is dead at 9pm. The problem w/DC is the majority of industries it caters to having boring, lackluster people (law, government). Government workers are the laziest, blandest, most depressing, least passionate people around and that becomes somewhat contagious. They go thru the motions and count the days to retirement but they enjoy the security of a government job. The other problem is 3/4 of the city is off limits if you are looking to get shot and robbed in 'da hood

This is true, and it also why DC is never going to attract young, hot women in any large numbers.

The only chicks who move to DC seem to be chubby, pasty white girls who have grad degrees in Poly Sci or Public Relations (or some other bullshit) and want to work in a gubbymint job or for a non-profit.

[/quote]
The only chicks who move to DC seem to be chubby, pasty white girls who have grad degrees in Poly Sci or Public Relations (or some other bullshit) and want to work in a gubbymint job or for a non-profit.

[/quote]

Yep, pretty much. Some of these chicks end up being hot but hot chicks aren't wired for that kind of work. You get a few hotties at some of the consulting companies (Accenture is pretty good about hiring hot chicks) but they're in the overwhelming minority and benefit from a supply/demand issue. Also, the ones who are attractive and have grown up in the area are usually basically spoiled princesses who have been having their asses kissed their whole lives and have no concept of reality. What I've also noticed is that a ridiculously high number of people I've met have come here from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is to DC as Mexico is to SoCal - all the natives leave for one for the hope of a better life elsewhere

After reading those lines I really wonder if this guy has ever lived in DC.
LOL.

What I've also noticed is that a ridiculously high number of people I've met have come here from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is to DC as Mexico is to SoCal - all the natives leave for one for the hope of a better life elsewhere

Both my sisters followed this path. They became bitchier and more mannish having lived in the DC area for years.

DON'T MOVE SOMEWHERE JUST FOR A JOB! You'll regret that shit.

Quote: (05-07-2011 05:35 PM)rakishness Wrote:  

After reading those lines I really wonder if this guy has ever lived in DC.
LOL.

oh i'm sure he has lived here before, i'd just bet he considers most 5 and 6's attractive

Quote: (05-06-2011 08:30 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

"Great food, the city is really clean, interesting architecture everywhere, cheaper cost of living, great metro system, tons of culture (museums are FREE!), etc."

These are true positives. (Is the city really "clean" these days though?")

DC has some great things about it. It's international, people are sophisticated, smart, and the city itself is pretty beautiful.

The downsides:

Sucks if you have no dough/ connections
Girls suck (although there are some gems, the average is horrid)
The people suck: horrible attitudes. People are way ruder than NYC
The weather sucks outside of May
The last decade stole the cities "soul"

Although now I assume there is crack cocaine available on literally every corner.

Comparing it to NYC is laughable.

DC is a bad "B" grade city. Maybe the worst "B" grade city.

NYC is "A" grade all the way.

Ment to say:

Although now I assume that is crack cocaine isn't available on literally every corner.

Man, Roosh and The G said it all.

Though, in defense of DC's weather, I'd say September and October aren't bad...if one likes Fall weather.

I made a terrible mistake leaving the Mountain West to come back here.

Actually, DC can be ok, IF, you are a certain kind of person.

I really feel that DC really appeals to Latin American "patricinha" types, or Argentinians or Latin American whites.

It's pretty conformist, bourgeois and relatively upscale. If you're goal is simply to have a stable, upper-middle class lifestyle and you are fairly conservative, it may be the city for you.

It's more for people who work, want to unwind on the weekends and mostly seem to have steady girlfriends or maybe date around somewhat. However, DC does seem to weed out the extremes of society including real creative energy and excitement....

It's better than it was in the 80's and early 90's though, when the whole city dressed in Brooks Brothers and Ann Taylor and almost anyone would immediately jet out of the area.....

Quote: (05-09-2011 01:19 AM)whosyourdaddy Wrote:  

Actually, DC can be ok, IF, you are a certain kind of person.

I really feel that DC really appeals to Latin American "patricinha" types, or Argentinians or Latin American whites.

It's pretty conformist, bourgeois and relatively upscale. If you're goal is simply to have a stable, upper-middle class lifestyle and you are fairly conservative, it may be the city for you.

It's more for people who work, want to unwind on the weekends and mostly seem to have steady girlfriends or maybe date around somewhat. However, DC does seem to weed out the extremes of society including real creative energy and excitement....

It's better than it was in the 80's and early 90's though, when the whole city dressed in Brooks Brothers and Ann Taylor and almost anyone would immediately jet out of the area.....

Honestly dc is just not worth living or dealing with because of this if you are a minority and in your 20s:

-If weather were a woman then dc would be the queen, the weather is so inconsistent and illogical (40 degrees one day, then 80 degrees the next) that it really can affect people's moods and attitudes..
-Every 5 thinks they're a 7 and so on
-There is a plethora of preppy douchebags oozing out from Georgetown onwards.
-Neighborhoods filled with culture and diversity are being disolved and turned into breeding grounds for kids trying to slum it with the safety of a whole foods in the vicinity.
-The nightlife is.. less than desirable, of course that's because we have such high standards comparing it to NYC but still some places close at 1.. metro basically ends at 3 on weekends but trust me if you take the metro after 2 don't expect to get home for a while with all the delays and construction.
-First conversation starter is always "what's your job.." lame just lame
-Only hot girls are the ones studying at the universities.. and logistics can be a nightmare.
-And honestly.. I don't even know why girls go out here? for every cool girl you meet there is always 10 other girls who are in some kind of staring content in the middle of the bar not even drinking (I mean seriously?)

But for all the negatives the great positive is that if you can game succesfully here it'll only strengthen you.. no lie.

the weather here really isnt that bad. its not SoCal or South Florida but its also not Chicago or Boston. Spring and Fall are nice, and if you get a mild winter or a cool summer things arent bad at all.

Hey, I don't mind the "what do you do?" line. I guess it depends on the guy and how comfortable he is with what he does.

Keep in mind, EACH person will have a different take on what THEY THINK which attributes should be viewed as a higher priority over others.

For the person who is in the gym all day or into fashion....they want the fashion weighed more.
For the person who is more about business and career...they want the business/career weighted more.

For the guy who is more financially into "taking care of his girl"...he may care about her looks and that is it.
For the guy who doesn't get into financially into "taking care of his girl"...he may care more about having a most established female.

There are currently NO rules on which is better.

Depends...IF your black...DC is heaven on earth...if your anything else...probably sucks. The amount of educated - fiyah looking women is insane in DC..sorry but if you don't have diverse tastes, probably wanna move to Salt Lake City or something. Job market is healthy and I don't feel like i'll be discriminated against when I walk in the door to win business or get a job...plus the diversity of the women is incredible...you can be with a sista, latina, white liberal feminist, asian, indian all in one week if you meet the right time...and the city is so convenient, everything is so connected by way of metro, airports, cabs, walkable sidewalks, bicycles, bus.... seriously I don't see how ppl can hate it...

Quote: (05-09-2011 05:49 PM)Caramel Communist Wrote:  

Depends...IF your black...DC is heaven on earth...if your anything else...probably sucks. The amount of educated - fiyah looking women is insane in DC..sorry but if you don't have diverse tastes, probably wanna move to Salt Lake City or something. Job market is healthy and I don't feel like i'll be discriminated against when I walk in the door to win business or get a job...plus the diversity of the women is incredible...you can be with a sista, latina, white liberal feminist, asian, indian all in one week if you meet the right time...and the city is so convenient, everything is so connected by way of metro, airports, cabs, walkable sidewalks, bicycles, bus.... seriously I don't see how ppl can hate it...

depends on your tastes...i'm a white guy and mostly only date white girls and some latin (more south american then central america). no interest in blacks, asians, indians, or middle eastern girls, which dramatically reduces the numbers. if you like all of the above you are in a good spot.

IF your black...DC is heaven on earth.

I know black guys that would disagree with you in a second.

Quote: (05-10-2011 12:00 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

IF your black...DC is heaven on earth.

I know black guys that would disagree with you in a second.

possible...I would love to hear their reasons. They would be the first blck guys I"VE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE unhappy with DC...maybe it's low career ops..

low career ops for black guys in DC? there probably isnt a better place in the country for black guys to get solid middle income jobs mostly related to the government

I definitely see alot of black guys with fly white girls in DC but those guys are more fashionable (either custom suits, preppier, or less hip hop) and educated, you don't see alot of guys who look/dress like souljah boy going around with alot of the wasps and japs around here..

Also there is a huge ethiopian community in DC and alot of the black guys I know are ethiopian and they seem to be doing better on a whole.. but they are content with sticking to ethiopian girls.