rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

About opening a business in Europe

I have been thinking in a business idea for a couple of years, i have been learning from people who have applied it. I thought initially in execute it in a nearby and more cultural alike country, but lately i'm thinking europe can be a better option.

The major obstacle the fact that the country that i'm most interested in (france), has strong labor regulations and bureocracy.

Now, i looked at one business based in italy that is very close to what i'm looking to do and realized their homebase is in the UK, the owner anyway, lives in the UK too, and was italian by born though i suppose he still did it to avoid getting raped by bureocracy and taxis.

The business that i have thought is mostly service oriented, so i don't think a big amount of capital is required to start it, nor it will generate a dozens of jobs, but it should get some casual employees.

How can i do make this happen in Europe? the idea would be to legally set up the company in another country less likely to tell me to fuck off, while getting the business in action in another. Or finding a way to easy residence, not by marrying.

Quote: (01-05-2015 11:17 PM)Dat ass Wrote:  

I have been thinking in a business idea for a couple of years, i have been learning from people who have applied it. I thought initially in execute it in a nearby and more cultural alike country, but lately i'm thinking europe can be a better option.

The major obstacle the fact that the country that i'm most interested in (france), has strong labor regulations and bureocracy.

Now, i looked at one business based in italy that is very close to what i'm looking to do and realized their homebase is in the UK, the owner anyway, lives in the UK too, and was italian by born though i suppose he still did it to avoid getting raped by bureocracy and taxis.

The business that i have thought is mostly service oriented, so i don't think a big amount of capital is required to start it, nor it will generate a dozens of jobs, but it should get some casual employees.

How can i do make this happen in Europe? the idea would be to legally set up the company in another country less likely to tell me to fuck off, while getting the business in action in another. Or finding a way to easy residence, not by marrying.

I've built a business in the UK, from scratch, and now employ a number of people. We have a few clients in other parts of Europe too. I'm no expert, but hopefully I can help point you in the right direction.

What's your nationality of birth (Argentinian)?

Have you ever built a successful business before?

What do your capital reserves look like?

What's your rate of burn on the money you do have?

Do you have any experience of Europe, and speak the language of the country you are considering setting up in?

Do you know anyone on the ground in these countries that can help you get set up?

You say the service you're looking to provide won't generate a lot of jobs, and will only require casual labour. There are a few professions where this is viable and it's possible to make decent money (high end catering, niche technology, for example), but by and large I would say it's not a good sign for a business if you can confidently predict you'll never expand much before you've even begun.

I'd also say from my own experience that building a business almost always costs more money and takes more time than the uninitiated. If you have previously built a stand-alone business that genuinely made you proper money, then I'm sure you already know what you're doing. If you haven't, it's worth considering that you probably have to deal with the following:

Move abroad indefinitely - cost of travel (not cheap across the Pacific), accommodation as an overhead, cost of living/providing for yourself etc.

Start new business - start up capital, reserve capital for when it inevitably costs far more money than you originally planned, overheads/office contracts/employees (and the relevant legislation in a foreign language you'll have to get to grips with), and a culture that may be different from the one you conceived your idea in - ie a market that may not be receptive to your product/service.

My own stance on it is that building a business is incredibly difficult when you already have most of the starting advantages in place. Trying to do it in a foreign country, with foreign legislation (and potentially a totally different legal system), and a market you don't really have any experience for, whilst having to foot all the overheads and deal with the distractions of being in an unfamiliar place, gives you an awful lot of hurdles to overcome. Whilst I'd strongly encourage anyone with a good idea to have a go at making a success of it, I would counsel against stacking the deck so heavily against yourself. This shit is HARD, I think it would be a mistake to make it any harder by introducing all of the uncertainties you mention.

Perhaps there is more to the idea than you have let on though, and the above is not relevant.

I'm Costa Rican, i haven't built a business exactly, but i have done some side hustles, resell stuff, offer services, etc. It have go decently well.

I'm actually learning the language of the countries i'm interested in, but as i said. if i can find a way to install a business in another euro country it will be easier. And yes i have enough friends where i want to move.

I have to clarify, i want to still do another stuff, i have experimented with a lot of jobs and developed skills for some enterpreunerships i want to accomplish. BUT for those i would need some serious money.

The business i'm talking about here requires minimal investment and is something that i have enjoyed for the lifestyle. I have work in event management/services industry, some media companies, guys who sold travels to students, throw parties, etc. Different companies, different guys whith similar stories.

Imagine teaching game for example, you need a guy that can speak to a camera, a website, some marketing and some thirsty clients.

I don't want to do that because i don't like to scam hopeless guys, but the point is, if you really want to don't have a lot of money to start, you can probably do that shit yourself without even register it, but if some other guy has the same idea and doesn't like the competition he will fuck you up, that's about the same with what i want to do. The guys i have met have done it from scratch, being almost them at the beginning and then registering it and hiring another people when they can't take it all for them. As a foreigner i want to do my shit spotless to avoid problems.

I'm a young guy, i don't have the money to startup an app/web company for example, also people wouldn't trust in me for my lack of experience and education, still i have been looking at the edge of development here in latinamerica, i have learn some web dev skills, etc. Someday.

But i can do this kind of business i'm talking about, i could probably do it in my country right now. So why not? Because i just don't want to, guys here can try to pick up girls in their own country, and they still decide to travel to get something different, i would like to live in a better environment, experience another culture, etc.

You tell me is hard as fuck, ok, but i have decided since some time ago that i want to move, any other country in latin america will be a different culture too, you are basicly telling me to say fuck it just because it is hard. As i see i can just resign and work for a minimum wage while go to college until i graduate and do an intership. Or i can do the shit i want to do, it maybe work good or maybe not, but if it doesn't i still can go the route of studying and intership. I can't see why i shouldn't try then.

I apreciate your advice and yout dose of reality, also the fact that i haven't thought about expanding it in another areas, i'm thinking i can register the business as something with bigger aspirations, because i actually have another ones that i would like to explore in the future, i was just talking about this that doesn't require so much shit to start.

But i can't really see your point of what would i loose if i try, you say the capital and money of the tickets. As i said is something that i'm willing to do because the required capital is not so much, and i want to go to experience another place, whatever the business works or not. I have no resposabilities for now.

My basic question is how do i get a visa to register this shit in Europe being a broke student, if it isn't possible i will try to find someway, or look again at latin america. I still have to get my degree, that is why i'm looking at europe as the possibility to get a better education while i try the enterpreneur way.

UK is a good place to start a business. Most of Europe really is not. Hence the fucking recession there.

Regulation is fairly good, taxes are not as high as other European countries.

I own a successful business. I cannot even imagine how difficult it would be to run one in a country where you do not have a native level of language ability (fucking hard!).

Quote: (01-06-2015 08:58 PM)Dat ass Wrote:  

my basic question is how do i get a visa to register this shit in Europe being a broke student, if it isn't possible i will try to find someway, or look again at latin america. I still have to get my degree, that is why i'm looking at europe as the possibility to get a better education while i try the enterpreneur way.

About Italy : last time i checked a student visa required (among other things) proof of having at least 400 euros for each month spent there.So if being a student costs that much you can imagine any investor/business start sort of visa in Europe would cost much more,as an example the figures to start a business in Portugal,the poorest European country,start at 500 thousand euros or legally employing 10 people there

"Go be fat on someone else's time."

Quote: (01-06-2015 08:58 PM)Dat ass Wrote:  

I'm Costa Rican, i haven't built a business exactly, but i have done some side hustles, resell stuff, offer services, etc. It have go decently well.

I'm actually learning the language of the countries i'm interested in, but as i said. if i can find a way to install a business in another euro country it will be easier. And yes i have enough friends where i want to move.

I have to clarify, i want to still do another stuff, i have experimented with a lot of jobs and developed skills for some enterpreunerships i want to accomplish. BUT for those i would need some serious money.

The business i'm talking about here requires minimal investment and is something that i have enjoyed for the lifestyle. I have work in event management/services industry, some media companies, guys who sold travels to students, throw parties, etc. Different companies, different guys whith similar stories.

Imagine teaching game for example, you need a guy that can speak to a camera, a website, some marketing and some thirsty clients.

I don't want to do that because i don't like to scam hopeless guys, but the point is, if you really want to don't have a lot of money to start, you can probably do that shit yourself without even register it, but if some other guy has the same idea and doesn't like the competition he will fuck you up, that's about the same with what i want to do. The guys i have met have done it from scratch, being almost them at the beginning and then registering it and hiring another people when they can't take it all for them. As a foreigner i want to do my shit spotless to avoid problems.

I'm a young guy, i don't have the money to startup an app/web company for example, also people wouldn't trust in me for my lack of experience and education, still i have been looking at the edge of development here in latinamerica, i have learn some web dev skills, etc. Someday.

But i can do this kind of business i'm talking about, i could probably do it in my country right now. So why not? Because i just don't want to, guys here can try to pick up girls in their own country, and they still decide to travel to get something different, i would like to live in a better environment, experience another culture, etc.

You tell me is hard as fuck, ok, but i have decided since some time ago that i want to move, any other country in latin america will be a different culture too, you are basicly telling me to say fuck it just because it is hard. As i see i can just resign and work for a minimum wage while go to college until i graduate and do an intership. Or i can do the shit i want to do, it maybe work good or maybe not, but if it doesn't i still can go the route of studying and intership. I can't see why i shouldn't try then.

I apreciate your advice and yout dose of reality, also the fact that i haven't thought about expanding it in another areas, i'm thinking i can register the business as something with bigger aspirations, because i actually have another ones that i would like to explore in the future, i was just talking about this that doesn't require so much shit to start.

But i can't really see your point of what would i loose if i try, you say the capital and money of the tickets. As i said is something that i'm willing to do because the required capital is not so much, and i want to go to experience another place, whatever the business works or not. I have no resposabilities for now.

My basic question is how do i get a visa to register this shit in Europe being a broke student, if it isn't possible i will try to find someway, or look again at latin america. I still have to get my degree, that is why i'm looking at europe as the possibility to get a better education while i try the enterpreneur way.

Actually you completely misinterpreted my post. I am not telling you to say 'fuck it' and get a minimum wage job, quite the reverse. What I am telling you to do is give yourself a snowflakes chance in hell of actually achieving what you want to, by going about it in a way that you're not sabotaging yourself from the start. I attempted to set up an office for my company in South America, and had opened all sorts of doors to top level government officials and major figures in that countries business community (within my niche). All this with a proven track record of success on my UK business, and global brands on my client list. It STILL proved too tricky at that point in our development to pursue the opportunities we were creating, due to restrictions imposed on company creation etc by that country's government.

None of this is designed to put you off starting a business, or to encourage you just to settle for a dead end job. On the contrary, I want you to succeed, and am giving you my time, which is valuable, to try to point you in the right direction. As the guys above me have suggested, this IS REALLY HARD, and trying to do it without experience, without cash reserves, and without (seemingly) even having your shit dialed in on how exactly your first year is going to work (detailed business plan?), is only setting yourself up to fail, when you may very well have a GOOD idea, that CAN succeed, and bring you a good deal of SUCCESS, assuming you stack every chip you can in your favour. That may well mean making sacrifices in the medium term on your other desires, like moving to Europe. I know I sacrificed a shitload to get my business going, and in fact continue to sacrifice many things I'd rather be doing right this second, in pursuit of the bigger picture.

What you choose to do is noone's business but your own. All I want to do is give you the benefit of my experience having sat exactly where you now sit, and having had to swallow the uncomfortable reality that in order to achieve in some areas, you often have to make temporary sacrifices in others.

Do you have a full business plan at this point?