rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice on Bogota...

Advice on Bogota...

Have been trying to plan for awhile but from early March 2015 I will be spending 6-12 months travelling alone to Colombia & also maybe Chile in the summer just to watch the Copa America Futbol Live, but starting with Bogota in terms of Hotel/apartment location is Chapinero a good option? I think the precise area is "Calle 55 #10-73 Bogota Distrito Capital Colombia" Any information on this would be great.

I've been practicing & over the last 2 months my spanish has slowly improved but am I right to be looking at applying for a student visa with the intention of becoming as close to perfect with my spanish as possible with lessons? I realise without a Student Visa I would only be allowed 90 days.

Other parts of Colombia I plan on visiting are Medellin, Barranquilla, Manizales, Cali, Pereira, Santa Marta & Cartagena. I have managed to save up £18,000 GBP which is about $28,004.58 USD (66,311,386.56 COP) Is that enough for me to make my trip achievable?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Advice on Bogota...

28k will definitely last you 6-12 months. I was paying about $600/mo rent in Medellin for a pretty nice place. Food is maybe $3-4 a meal if you eat out every meal, say $500 a month to be safe. So you have $900 a month for travel, drinks, etc. Assuming you're okay with spending your whole bank account, yeah you could last 12 months [Image: tongue.gif]

Advice on Bogota...

I'm generally pretty sensible with my money so definitely won't be out in Colombia living a P Diddy Lifestyle Haha

I've heard some really poor reviews on Bogota, Is Bogota really that bad compared to Medellin?? Reasons for me wanting to start my trip in Bogota is because UK doesn't seem to do flights to anywhere in Colombia apart from Bogota, also to improve my Spanish with the classes which would be better for me if I plan on visiting other areas of Colombia that speak no or very little english & also a girl from Bogota that I've been talking to now for quite awhile, practically every day for the last 2/3 months which is also helping my Spanish has said she will look after me in Bogota which was quite cute & she seems genuine enough Lol Something that could definitely help me settle as I'm sure it will be a big culture shock compared to life in England.

Advice on Bogota...

I was in a similar situation as you three years, new to Colombia and new to the Spanish language. Actually, I stayed for over two months in the exact apartment complex you mention in your OP, the building is called "Living 55" as I'm sure you already know. I wouldn't book a room there before hand as I never have and I've stayed there several times over the past three years and they've never been full. The building is decent, I would ask for rooms 207 or 208 (the corner ones) but either way that building is on a busy street and noisy as fuck so you may want to bring some ear plugs. The building is decent and the barrio is cool too although I will change locations next time I'm in the capital as I got bored with Chapinero the last time I was there two months ago. Its centrally located between the upper class north and the riff raff to the south, its almost a buffer zone, you can have a great time in Chapinero, but I'm keen on knowing the north more.

As far as Bogota goes, I stayed there for about three months in total and while I enjoyed my time there, I won't live there again, but will definitely stay there for short visits of about 3-5 days to visit friends and party. Its the capital of Colombia and as such is the most populated and diverse city with tons of night life options and many different scenes. You will find the most educated Colombians here since there's so many head offices of multi national companies, embassies, etc and also Bogota is home to many universities and many students flock there from all over the county, so that means lots of girls away from their judgemental families. You will also find the most English speaking girls in Bogota although that may not be the best situation for a student of Spanish. There are quite a few private Spanish language institutes in Bogota, I can recommend one called Nueva Lengua which is located in Chapinero, about a ten minute walk from the apartment on calle 55, but its not cheap, I paid $240 per week USD three years ago. You can probably find cheaper ones if you look elsewhere but the instruction at the one I recommend was top notch in my opinion.

Honestly, you reasons for staying in Bogota are weak, of course UK airlines only fly to the capital, same as most national airlines, you can get a flight to another city for less than $75 or take a bus to Medellin or Cali for $25-40. You mention a chick that you've connected with online, that's all good and is basically what I did (I stayed in Bogota for over two months because of a chick I met online), but trust me, don't get caught up with one girl down here as you are the prize, being a foreigner. That being said, don't expect chicks to be jumping on your cock because you are a foreigner, you will have to put in effort and hard work, especially if you aren't the type of foreigner that Colombian women jump all over. In case you guys are wondering, that's a combo of a few things and could be any of the following: tall, blond, blue eyes, jacked, great dancer. I'm none of the above but I put in the effort of learning Spanish and I'm comfortable here with the girls I"m pulling, this isn't Asia and I could see how a guy could come here and not get laid, it isn't unheard of.

Anyway, I can write more but I think I made my point, if I was you I'd stay in Bogota for two weeks and then move on, the other cities have much nicer weather, are cheaper in all aspects and overall are more livable. I will be in the country until April so there's a chance that we could meet up and I'll be more than happy to meet up for drinks and show you around.

Advice on Bogota...

For what it's worth, Bogotá is one of my favorite places. The girls can be tough to crack, a bit like Tokyo birds, but they have a lot of redeeming qualities. They are artistic, educated, thin, intelligent, and still pretty feminine. They're also fashionable. This is all concerning northern Bogotá - southerners tend to keep it real a bit more, but are also fatter and uglier.

Having said that, for a number of reasons (search around on the forum for language learning tips), you'll almost certainly be in a better position to learn Spanish if you're in a smaller city or even town. You'll be distracted in Bogotá.

Cachacos/rolos have a reputation for being cold and distant, but this is relative. Coming from certain parts of the UK, I think that you'll find Bogotá to be a breath of fresh air.

Have fun!

Advice on Bogota...

Hello there mate.

I have been in & out of Bogotá for the past 2 years. Staying here in Bogotá till Feb 2nd. 2015.

Quick advice:

1. Chapinero is aight as long as you are OK with the hippyish vibe, the area is not really considered ºniceº. Used to be the place where upscale Colombians lived maybe 20 years ago, now is very commercial, noisy, a bit dodgy at nights. I used to purchase my weed there. If I were you I will stay at park Virrey or closer to the 93 Where I am now. Place is on the posh side, tons of nice women, nice places to eat, bars, coffee places,etc...Considering your budget I will stay there. I am right next to Andino mall.

2. Bogotá´s nighlife ends quite early comparing to other Colombian cities. Checking Chia´s Andrés Carne de RES is a must. Go there, you will have the time of your life. Guaranteed.

3. Traffic is insanely terrible. Try to stay in a place close to the bars you want to hit every night.

4. There is a website where Colombians want to practice english with a native english speaker. The site works like this: You registered and then you go to a bar or a coffee shop. You speak english to them, then they buy you a drink or a coffee as way to thank you (They already know english, they just need somebody to practice it with and maybe fix some pronunciation flaws or whatever). Great way to meet people, most guys/girls who are on there are college students/professional with good network and connection to beautiful women, this was my way in. I will come back to you with the name.

5. Stay as long as possible in Manizales /Zona cafetera. Cheap as hell, great coffee, nice women, very open to foreigners. I spent only a week. Thinking in going there for 6 months or so. Place is underrated as shit. Make sure you fly from Bogotá. I took the bus and took forever, it was like 300km and took over 12 hours.

6. Medellín has enough information on here. My 2 cents, if you like massage parlors go to LOUTRON. I am not that into that scene but I went there with an Asian customer. Never seeing so many hot women together in my life. Worth checking out.

This is what you need to know regarding nighlife in Bogota:

> Lunes: Go for a Beer at Park of 93.
> Martes: Gringo Tuesday en La Villa
> Miércoles: Quiebra Canto en La Candelaria, una mezcla entre música occidental y los éxitos de Colombia
> Jueves: El Coq en la Zona T, con buena música electrónica e indie
> Viernes: Parque 93, practique Salsa en el Galeria Cafe Libro o baile en el hermoso 6L6
> Sábado: Que sea una noche para recordar, vaya a Chia a Andrés Carnes de Res o a Theatron en Chapinero
> Domingo: Vaya a la Calera al Mirador Paloma para cenar y escuchar música en vivo con impresionantes vistas de Bogotá.

The harder you practice, the luckier you get.

Advice on Bogota...

Great posts guys...I just returned from bogota and taxis are a challenge if you are going far. I was staying far from la T and to go there and return was a challenge as they refused to go. I had to tip. The traffic is crazy.

Stay close to where you will go out.
Another thing, I was bored on a Thursday night being solo, I went to a few strip clubs. The prices are ridiculous. North American prices.... Water, 10 mil,,, $5 usd. No cover but still. Chicas, 400 mil $200 usd...for an hour. Medellin, 180. See the difference. Didn't sample it, but heck got to practice my spanish talking to the chicas on a Thursday night,

Note: for those who choose to partake, just providing info. Palo Alto provided great information. Wish this post was written before I went.

Bogota has some good points as does every other place. The longer you are there, the more you will enjoy it. Make friends, learn about good spots to hit etc.

Advice on Bogota...

Great info bro ^^

Advice on Bogota...

Quote: (12-30-2014 09:22 AM)Palo_alto Wrote:  

Hello there mate.

I have been in & out of Bogotá for the past 2 years. Staying here in Bogotá till Feb 2nd. 2015.

Quick advice:

1. Chapinero is aight as long as you are OK with the hippyish vibe, the area is not really considered ºniceº. Used to be the place where upscale Colombians lived maybe 20 years ago, now is very commercial, noisy, a bit dodgy at nights. I used to purchase my weed there. If I were you I will stay at park Virrey or closer to the 93 Where I am now. Place is on the posh side, tons of nice women, nice places to eat, bars, coffee places,etc...Considering your budget I will stay there. I am right next to Andino mall.

2. Bogotá´s nighlife ends quite early comparing to other Colombian cities. Checking Chia´s Andrés Carne de RES is a must. Go there, you will have the time of your life. Guaranteed.

3. Traffic is insanely terrible. Try to stay in a place close to the bars you want to hit every night.

4. There is a website where Colombians want to practice english with a native english speaker. The site works like this: You registered and then you go to a bar or a coffee shop. You speak english to them, then they buy you a drink or a coffee as way to thank you (They already know english, they just need somebody to practice it with and maybe fix some pronunciation flaws or whatever). Great way to meet people, most guys/girls who are on there are college students/professional with good network and connection to beautiful women, this was my way in. I will come back to you with the name.

5. Stay as long as possible in Manizales /Zona cafetera. Cheap as hell, great coffee, nice women, very open to foreigners. I spent only a week. Thinking in going there for 6 months or so. Place is underrated as shit. Make sure you fly from Bogotá. I took the bus and took forever, it was like 300km and took over 12 hours.

6. Medellín has enough information on here. My 2 cents, if you like massage parlors go to LOUTRON. I am not that into that scene but I went there with an Asian customer. Never seeing so many hot women together in my life. Worth checking out.

> Miércoles: Quiebra Canto en La Candelaria, una mezcla entre música occidental y los éxitos de Colombia
> Viernes: Parque 93, practique Salsa en el Galeria Cafe Libro o baile en el hermoso 6L6
> Sábado: Que sea una noche para recordar, vaya a Chia a Andrés Carnes de Res o a Theatron en Chapinero
> Domingo: Vaya a la Calera al Mirador Paloma para cenar y escuchar música en vivo con impresionantes vistas de Bogotá.

How long ago were you in th coffee region? Recently?

Advice on Bogota...

Tomtud, next time you're in Bogota and want to hit up some strip clubs, taxi a taxi to Santa Fe (downtown) and go to Paisas, La Troya, La Piscina or El Castillo, they're all pretty good and cheap, beers are 4000P and bottles are reasonable, as are the prices for other services. Its a bit dodgy down there so don't walk around the streets, but its a good time, I've had some wild nights in Bogota!

Myself, I'm in Cali and today is the last day of the feria, I've been here for six weeks and its time to move on but I can't decide where to go, I"m either going to hit up the feria de Manizales and chill in the zona cafetera for a bit or I'm going to the carnaval de Pasto and visit Ecuador for a few days.

Advice on Bogota...

One recommendation: There is a place in Bogotá called La Calera.

It overlooks the northern part of the city. There is a small restaurant where you can order beer (and they don't overcharge). It is one of the most beautiful places that I have seen, and perfect for getting to know friends. Future RVF mini-meetups could be held there.

I went during the day with a beautiful rola. It was the highlight of my trip to Colombia.

Advice on Bogota...

Scotian,,thanks for the tips. Check out pereira as it's not that far and it's known for being the exporter of whores to spain, Japan etc. Not that I'm suggesting you pay, but shoring definitely.

Or pick up and go to the DR for some hot beaches and biatches if you need a break from colombia for a week or 2.

Advice on Bogota...

Quote: (12-30-2014 05:07 PM)tomtud Wrote:  

Scotian,,thanks for the tips. Check out pereira as it's not that far and it's known for being the exporter of whores to spain, Japan etc. Not that I'm suggesting you pay, but shoring definitely.

Or pick up and go to the DR for some hot beaches and biatches if you need a break from colombia for a week or 2.

I'll probably end up in the DR for a couple of weeks before I head back to Canada in the spring, should be a great time. So I've decided to bum around the zona cafetera for a couple of weeks and will likely leave tomorrow for Armenia, this is a last minute trip and I have to set schedule but I plan on hitting up all three cities (Pereira, Armenia and Manizales, the latter during the up coming feria) and also some small towns such as Salento, Santa Rosa de Cabal, etc. I will mix it up with hostels and private apartments in the cities and spend as much time in rural areas and natural settings as possible, I can't wait to tour a coffee farm and drink freshly brewed, high quality coffee. If anyone has any pointers or tips for the zona de cafetera, please let me know.

Advice on Bogota...

Arrived in Bogota today. Made a little planning mistake and now living in La Candelaria, the most dangerous zone of town, haha.

Having just spent a couple of hours here I can't give many comments yet, but will let you know.

Failure is caused by unwillingness to adapt!

"If it's not rough, it is not fun!" - Lady Gaga, Philosopher

Advice on Bogota...

Great to hear people's experiences & some brilliant info for me to take on board. For the amount of time I plan to stay in Colombia I don't think I'll have any problem missing out on visiting any recommended cities, I might just take it week by week on deciding how long I actually stay in each city.

About the girl situation I mentioned don't worry, I don't intend in falling in love with this girl but with the amount of food she said she'll cook for me when I arrive I would be silly to refuse such an offer [Image: smile.gif] haha

Yeah that's cool Scotian, I planned to arrive in mid February but realistically will be March now so will definitely be in touch later to the date.

Advice on Bogota...

Quote: (12-30-2014 10:28 PM)Dr Feelgood Wrote:  

Arrived in Bogota today. Made a little planning mistake and now living in La Candelaria, the most dangerous zone of town, haha.

Having just spent a couple of hours here I can't give many comments yet, but will let you know.

La Candelaria is fine during the day but be cautious down there, I know of two foreigners who were robbed at knife point in broad day light down there as they wondered onto deserted streets with their Iphones or cameras out. At night it can be a bit sketchy as there's tons of crack heads roaming around there, so be careful but the area can be fun, there's lots of students down around there and quite a few cheap bars and clubs to party at, good luck.

Advice on Bogota...

My first time in Bogotá I stayed in La Candelaria for 2 weeks. I stayed in a shitty hostel called Alegrías and then moved to a more upscale one around there. This place is full of dutch DTF chics. I got my first bang with a lady 37 year old gym rat lady from maastricht. I banged her in the hostel shower, then we played ping pong. Good times.

Eventhough La Candelaria is dodgy at night, place has some vibe. Cheap, good restaurants that cost nothing and full of gringos. Also is very close to the museums and historics center, which was great.

I suggest visiting CHORRO DE QUEVEDO where the people tell jokes around midnight. Place is full of students drinking, smoking bowl and chilling. Go there at night, it is extremely dodgy, just bring cash and ID. You will have a good time.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorro_de_Quevedo

Advice on Bogota...

Quote: (12-30-2014 10:39 PM)scotian Wrote:  

La Candelaria is fine during the day but be cautious down there, I know of two foreigners who were robbed at knife point in broad day light down there as they wondered onto deserted streets with their Iphones or cameras out. At night it can be a bit sketchy as there's tons of crack heads roaming around there, so be careful but the area can be fun, there's lots of students down around there and quite a few cheap bars and clubs to party at, good luck.

Thanks, where or what is knife point? Google won't let me know.

It's so incredibly cold here and no heating in the house. I didn't get away from the european winter to be in the cold again...

Do you happen to know of any good NYE parties?

Advice on Bogota...

Quote: (12-31-2014 11:23 AM)Dr Feelgood Wrote:  

It's so incredibly cold here and no heating in the house. I didn't get away from the european winter to be in the cold again...

Colombians spend New Years with family. Your best bet will be finding some other expats and travelers.

Advice on Bogota...

Hi there mate,

I was there for 10 days in April this year. Went mainly for this tour:

http://www.tripadvisor.cl/Attraction_Rev...tment.html

I always loved coffee and wanted to check the whole process. Totally worth it. The place is very relaxing, full of high end backpackers go there, a lot of hotties actually. Lot´s of boyfriends also though.

I took the bus from Bogotá to Manizales (Take the flight!) then I went to Armenia and Pereira. I knew a chic through Facebook in Pereira that allowed me to stay in her place for a couple of days, the hospitality of the people is awesome. Girls are pretty and down to earth, Latina cute no like Medellín but more natural. Think of LELA STARR before the surgeries.

I truly fall in love with this area and i will come back there tomorrow. Also strip joints are cheap as hell. 1 Dollar beers, lap dances for 10 bucks, did not asked for more.

You have the real coffee experience there + women worth taking home as the mother of your children.

Trust me on this one. Go there!

Quote: (12-30-2014 02:24 PM)viajero Wrote:  

Quote: (12-30-2014 09:22 AM)Palo_alto Wrote:  

Hello there mate.

Quick advice:

How long ago were you in th coffee region? Recently?

Advice on Bogota...

For nightlife guys, any particular venue suggestions? Is Zona Rosa a big step up over Chapinero? How long will the taxi ride be from Chapinero to Zona Rosa at night?

Advice on Bogota...

Quote: (12-31-2014 11:25 AM)viajero Wrote:  

Colombians spend New Years with family. Your best bet will be finding some other expats and travelers.

GO TO ANDRES CARNE DE RES FOR NEW YEAR´S

http://andrescarnederes.com/es/

Thank me later.

Advice on Bogota...

Robbed at knife point simply means being robbed with a knife, in both cases the guys I know told me that they were either taking photos with an SLR camera or walking around with an Iphone looking at Google maps when a guy came up to them with a knife and demanded that they hand over the goods.

Quote: (12-31-2014 11:29 AM)viajero Wrote:  

For nightlife guys, any particular venue suggestions? Is Zona Rosa a big step up over Chapinero? How long will the taxi ride be from Chapinero to Zona Rosa at night?

The two barrios are fairly close, maybe a ten minute taxi ride, depending on traffic, will probably cost about 5000P. The two aren't really comparable for night life, Zona Rosa is mostly high end and very condensed, especially in zona T, then you also have the near by Parque 93, which is also posh. Chapinero is full of shitty, grimey bars full of students, a decent place for some cheap drinks and there's a few good rock bars, reggae clubs, etc. I used to go to the bars on la Septima (Cr 7) and calle 51 where the students hang out and get shit faced on Fridays from about 5-9, from there I'd often go north to the Zona Rosa or another area. Chapinero is the gay capital of Colombia so there's queers everywhere and a lot of the bars and clubs are centered around that lifestyle, Palo Alto recommended Teatron, the largest gay night club in South America, myself I haven't been but I can imagine that place is crazy.

NYE is generally dead in Colombia from my experience, literally most things will be closed down but some bars and clubs will open at midnight and people will go out then to party as tomorrow is a public holiday.

For some more in-depth information on everything Bogota, I recommend reading the posts of RVF member Tully Mars who has been living in the city for a couple of years now and knows it very well: for example.

Advice on Bogota...

Knife point, haha, got it! English is not my mother tongue, but I wanted to stay far away from that fucking knife point, because everywhere it says that people are robbed at knife point in Bogota... I thought that place must be dangerous as fuck...

Advice on Bogota...

Quote: (12-31-2014 11:32 AM)Palo_alto Wrote:  

GO TO ANDRES CARNE DE RES FOR NEW YEAR´S

http://andrescarnederes.com/es/

Thank me later.

I second this. Did this a few years ago and had a great time.