rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

NY Times: Single Moms, Not College Students, More Likely to be Raped

The New York Times takes on the college sexual assault myth and comes to the conclusion that...poor single moms are more likely to victims.

The entire article is pasted below -- important parts in bold, my notes in italics. They closed the comments section already, but if you can stand giving them a click, it's worth going over there to see how far in outer space some of their readers are ("Campus assault is a civil rights violation!!" Oh, so I guess then assaulting a non-college-educated woman is a civil rights victory.)

Privilege, Among Rape Victims
Who Suffers Most From Rape and Sexual Assault in America?

By CALLIE MARIE RENNISONDEC. 21, 2014

DENVER — LATELY, people have been bombarded with the notion that universities and colleges are hotbeds of sexual violence. Parents fear that sending their teenagers to school is equivalent to shipping them off to be sexually victimized.

But the truth is, young women who don’t go to college are more likely to be raped. Lynn A. Addington at American University and I recently published a study based on the Department of Justice’s National Crime Victimization Survey data from 1995 to 2011. We found that the estimated rate of sexual assault and rape of female college students, ages 18 to 24, was 6.1 per 1,000 students.

(My note: notice how this doesn't add up to 1 in 5. Are we making progress in that the paper of record went public with this?)

This is nothing to be proud of, but it is significantly lower than the rate experienced by women that age who don’t attend college — eight per 1,000. In other words, these women are victims of sexual violence at a rate around 30 percent greater than their more educated counterparts.

The focus on sexual violence against some of our most privileged young people has distracted us from the victimization of those enjoying less social and economic advantage.

(Heheheh. I'm sure mattress girl loved reading that one.)

Surprisingly, we don’t know much about the latter group. After an exhaustive search, colleagues and I could find no major study that focuses on the relationship between social and economic disadvantage and rape and sexual assault risk in the United States. But existing research does show that disadvantaged women are more likely to experience violence generally, as well as violence perpetrated by an intimate partner. Does this hold true for sexual assault?

(You're kidding! There's more violence in poor communities?! Shocked. Stunned!!)

I recently tried to answer this question by comparing female sexual victimization rates with a variety of social and economic disadvantage measures from National Crime Victimization Survey data, from 1992 to 2012. These data, like all data, are imperfect, and it is believed that they underestimate sexual victimization rates to some degree. But for my purpose this underestimation was unimportant since it was constant and therefore would not affect the relative differences between groups.

The statistics did indeed show that disadvantaged women, age 12 and older, were sexually victimized (including rape or sexual assault) at the highest rates. Women in the lowest income bracket, with annual household incomes of less than $7,500, are sexually victimized at 3.7 times the rate of women with household incomes of $35,000 to $49,999, and at about six times the rate of women in the highest income bracket (households earning $75,000 or more annually). Homeownership is another example of how economic advantage serves to protect women from sexual violence. Woman living in rented properties are sexually victimized at 3.2 times the rate of women living in homes that they or a family member own.

There are also disparities in rates of violence when marital status and children are taken into account. Single women with children living in the home have the highest rate of sexual victimization: 2.3 times that of single women with no children living in the home; 3.6 times that of married women with children living in the home; and 9.1 times that of married women with no children in the home.

(What conclusion do we draw from what I put in bold? Single women who have kids should not bring strange men home? Ding ding ding!! We have a winner. Sadly, this will not be what anyone in the lamestream media will think -- even though all our grandparents knew this instinctively.)

Finally, we can look at educational attainment and the risk of sexual violence. Women without a high school diploma are sexually victimized at a rate 53 percent greater than women with a high school diploma or some college, and more than 400 percent greater than those with a bachelor’s degree or more.

More research should be done to replicate these findings, but it is clear that there is a relationship between disadvantage and sexual victimization. To better understand why disadvantage acts as a catalyst for sexual violence, we must hear directly from the women affected, who can provide valuable information as to how they cope with living on the margins.

There are obvious steps we as a society can take to better support all victims of sexual violence: We have to stop blaming and shaming survivors, and to start holding perpetrators accountable. But we also need to do much more to support women in disadvantaged communities. These are the same women who have the least flexibility at work, the least access to reliable transportation, the least help with child care, and the least resources with which to pursue legal representation or medical treatment on their own. We need to do a better job of bringing health, legal and psychological services to them.

Above all, we need to remember these women when we talk about rape and sexual assault. Women at the margins are the ones who bear the brunt of the harshest realities, including sexual violence, and they do so with the least resources. Am I saying that we should ignore sexual violence against the wealthy and educated? Of course not. Nor is it wrong to pay special attention to college-age women: The one risk factor that remains consistent whether women are advantaged or disadvantaged is age, and women ages 16 to 20 are sexually victimized at the highest rates.

(Showing rape probably has more to do with horny low-grade guys wanting to fuck hot young women than "violence." It's been called a reproductive shortcut by some.)

But we cannot let attention to a particular group, or the suggestion of an epidemic where one does not exist, distract us from the pressing needs of others.

(I almost spit out my orange juice reading that. The college rape epidemic doesn't exist -- says the NYT.)

Callie Marie Rennison is the co-director of the Criminology and Criminal Justice Research Initiative at the University of Colorado Denver’s School of Public Affairs.

Also - their children. Think step-father's in close proximity with children, soon to be all grown up, who aren't his.

G

It always baffles me how people can be so naive to believe whatever bullshit numbers "statistics" and survey data gets put in front of their faces. Anyone can go to fbi.gov and look at actual crime stats reported annually.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/cri...crime/rape

For the 2012-2013 year, the FBI expanded it's definition of rape (surprise surprise) to be more broad. The wording went from:

Quote:FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program Wrote:

... the carnal knowledge of a female forcibly and against her will.

to:

Quote:FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program Wrote:

Penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.

Here is the truth:

Quote:Quote:

-There were an estimated 79,770 rapes (legacy definition) reported to law enforcement in 2013. This estimate was 6.3 percent lower than the 2012 estimate, and 10.6 percent and 16.1 percent lower than the 2009 and 2004 estimates, respectively. (See Tables 1 and 1A.)

-The rate of rapes (legacy definition) in 2013 was estimated at 25.2 per 100,000 females.

Thats 0.0025%. Keep in mind this does not reflect actual convictions or false convictions - simply crime reports. You have a better chance of having an IQ over 150 or being drafted into major league sports from High School* than being a female rape victim.

* http://www.norwichcsd.org/Downloads/ProSportsOdds.doc

Yeah, I have known this for awhile. Also, to be fair I do think I have read some feminist blogs and articles that make some of these same points. Though, they do still peddle the 1 in X number (x = 2 or 3 or more commonly 4, 5, or even 6).

One thing to keep in mind is how drug use and other dysfunctional behaviors probably relate to the higher rates in the lower SES groups. The oxy addict mom is not only more likely to trade sex or sexual access for drugs, she is probably more likely to end up around fucked up people who don't mind, probably due to being fucked up and high themselves, taking advantage of her when she passes out. Or to pimp out her own teen daughters. Or to pimp out herself and end up getting raped by some trucker behind the motel six.

Then there are other things to consider too. I have heard that gangs will often use rape as a recruitment tool in a number of different ways. When women want to join the gang they will rape them in. When guys, and I understand this is somewhat common with gangs like MS-13, join the gang they will go out and look for a rivals woman to rape.

So, if you are a poor woman living in the projects then you are probably a likelier target than an upscale woman. I am sure that the lack of policing in those communities only aggravates the situation.

I remember reading an account from a reformed gang member on reddit awhile back. He pointed out several times that there were all sorts of rules that were known that somewhat kept the peace. Where as a guy like me would be fucked over big time if the cops stopped me and found illegal guns or drugs on me, he said it was a regular occurrence for cops to simply seize their shit and then press them for some info. They gave the info, usually on a rival, and were let go.

Another thing he pointed out was that for the most part they wouldn't ever fuck with outsiders, especially wealthier white outsiders, from their projects and streets. The reasoning was that nobody cared if a black or brown gangbanger got shot or stabbed but if some college student looking for drugs got harmed then the cops, fueled by the media, would be tearing apart the ghetto and disrupting their operations and cracking heads.

My .02

Women these days think they can shop for a man like they shop for a purse or a pair of shoes. Sorry ladies. It doesn't work that way.

Women are like sandwiches. All men love sandwiches. That's a given. But sandwiches are only good when they're fresh. Nobody wants a day old sandwich. The bread is all soggy and the meat is spoiled.

-Parlay44 @ http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-35074.html

Most people on this forum would already know this, however the general public believe anything the media tells them, even if it contradicts their actual experiences.

The main reason why we hear so much about the college and post-college rapes of middle-class white women is because they're the demographic with the most free time to kick up a fuss. A white college girl has 30 page assignment but 'needs' to protest about the alleged 'sexually motivated' assault of similarly-orientated acquaintance? Some beta fuckwit will do the work for her, whilst posting about how 'brave' she is for protesting.

Then a high school dropout single mum wants to protest that her best friend was raped (with incriminating video evidence) but her checkout assistant job doesn't allow her stop working as she has 2 kids to feed. White college feminists will discard her as and uneducated whore (often true, but hypocritical from feminists) and refuse to support her.

This is a great snake eating its tale moment. Its a third rail topic for many men in print/media to write about in this manner. You have to have balls and a iron clad reputation to not have your editor come down on you if the heat gets to hot to write it. For females they get a free pass and can relish and benefit from the shit storm of anger and attention these types of articles will bring. Plus even with the UVA scandal, the DOJ stat dump is even more damming. It isn't some fringe research group they can overlook, its hard data from their beloved government that they can't ignore. It is right there to all to see.

Will 2015 see the death of the "rape industry" many woman have feather their career caps writing nonsensical junk surrounding fake rape hysteria. Hopefully these women will be shun to the wolves. I predicted that these losers tossing around a powerful word such as rape will see the same fate as parasite civil rights "activists" who overused the race card and the N-Word. The N-word is as tame as baby oil in today's climate and soon rape will be the same.

single moms more likely to be raped and children of single moms more likely to be abused by their boyfriends/step fathers...just another negative of being an 'independent woman' that her eat pray love friends won't mention.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Only Nixon could go to China.

For better or worse reality has to come from people who are at least sympathetic to SJW causes. In this case they're pointing out how poor minority women are getting shafted (as usual) in favor of privileged white chicks and the data they have to do it with just happens to pop a bubble in the rape culture article.

Conveniently left out of the story though is the fact that men are actually more likely to be sexually assaulted on a college campus than off it.

Class warfare as usual.

Single moms are the new WW2 and 1950-1970's colonial wars widows, the untouchables in our current political and social system.

Feminists, who are essentially all White women from the upper middle class and above, will manipulate the lower classes, in this case single moms, into doing their bidding.

Quote: (12-22-2014 03:08 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Thats 0.0025%. Keep in mind this does not reflect actual convictions or false convictions - simply crime reports. You have a better chance of having an IQ over 150 or being drafted into major league sports from High School* than being a female rape victim.

To play devil's advocate, it's actually 0.025%, and that's only one year's worth. Over the course of an 80-year lifetime, the probability of reporting a rape is then 1-(1-.00025)^80 = 1.98%.

Feminists claim that 1 in 5 women are raped at college. Just to get to 1 in 5 women being raped in their entire lives, you'd have to assume that all rape reports are true, and that 90% of rapes go unreported. Obviously the assumptions would have to get even more outrageous to jive with their college "statistic."

CONCLUSION: Feminists either have zero research skills, have no numerate individuals among their ranks, or willfully spread misinformation. I think it's some combination of the three.

The college rape moral panic has actually unraveled faster than I would have predicted, and with that, it's possible that the current generational wave of progressivism has also peaked, as previous waves did in the 1970s and 1990s. (Note that social shifts worked by each of these waves are never actually rolled back, but there is a pause and a conservative cultural moment after each one).

I'm stocking up on popcorn for the coming 2-3 years of culture wars including the 2016 election.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Also a note about the numbers for college women: it's for women attending school but that doesn't mean the perpetrators are college men. I'm sure some are but I would not be surprised if most were not in school. Which is really pretty typical - women berating the good men for the crimes of the bad men.

Anybody else sick of the whole Privilege Olympics thing? It seems as if its a competition to see who's the most hard done by. Who do these statistics help? Nothing I've read here is more than common knowledge

Lower class is more susceptible to crime
Single mom generally equals lower income.

I forgot that common sense oppresses women.

Quote: (12-23-2014 01:32 AM)DrewP Wrote:  

To play devil's advocate, it's actually 0.025%, and that's only one year's worth. Over the course of an 80-year lifetime, the probability of reporting a rape is then 1-(1-.00025)^80 = 1.98%.

Feminists claim that 1 in 5 women are raped at college. Just to get to 1 in 5 women being raped in their entire lives, you'd have to assume that all rape reports are true, and that 90% of rapes go unreported. Obviously the assumptions would have to get even more outrageous to jive with their college "statistic."

CONCLUSION: Feminists either have zero research skills, have no numerate individuals among their ranks, or willfully spread misinformation. I think it's some combination of the three.

Not quite.
There surely aren't very many 80 year old women being raped
or 1 year old girls.
You should instead factor it by 20 years instead of 80, since the ages between 15-35 is where pretty much all rapes happen.
I'm not a math whizz, but if you could plug that in, I'm sure your rate will drop significantly.

Quote: (12-23-2014 04:10 AM)Muk Wrote:  

Not quite.
or 1 year old girls.
You should instead factor it by 20 years instead of 80, since the ages between 15-35 is where pretty much all rapes happen.
I'm not a math whizz, but if you could plug that in, I'm sure your rate will drop significantly.

On the right track. DrewP's formula takes rape prevalence, a variable distributed across women, and assumes it's independent and identically distributed across age. Two problems: first, you're undercounting the risk for ages 16-20 by taking the rate of rape across all women; second, you're overcounting the lifetime risk by extrapolating from the base female rate across all life expectancy years, rather than just the prime risk years.

Are we at the point yet where our society will stop celebrating single moms? Single moms have it so hard and yet most single moms become single moms by choice.

"Who cares what I think?" - Jeb Bush

Thanks for catching my misplaced decimal. Apologies for presenting flawed data, but my point still stands and you all see it as well - the rates are minuscule compared to what is claimed in the media. The rape hysteria needs to end. It creates a toxic social environment and also illegitimizes real sexual violence.

EDIT: Also, if you poke around prison statistics you'll see that males are incarcerated at a rate of ~1.3% and there is a very high rate of sexual assault on males in prison. I can't be bothered to grind away at the numbers right now but I'd be willing to bet your average man has as good a chance (better?) of getting incarcerated and raped in his lifetime than a woman getting raped.

Quote: (12-23-2014 04:10 AM)Muk Wrote:  

Not quite.
or 1 year old girls.

You can't just change the exponent to 20 because the 0.025% figure comes from people of all ages. If you wanted to make the assumption that there's only a 20 year window when a woman can be raped, you'd have to multiply the yearly probability of being raped by 80/20=4. The lifetime probability then becomes 1-(1-.001)^20 = 1.98%.

The difference between this and my original figure (which I just intended to be an approximation) is so insignificant, it's lost in rounding. It's good you brought it up though, because this exercise shows that the approximation isn't sensitive to assumptions about how the probability of rape is distributed across ages, therefore the 1.98% is likely spot on.