rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

General Travel Questions

General Travel Questions

Hey all, first time poster/long time lurker!

I recently got a new job that pays me enough to be able to travel a bit, so I was planning on taking a 2 week vacation at the end of summer to either Romania, Estonia/Latvia, or Poland.

I've never really taken a large trip overseas like this before on my own, so I'm a little unsure of how to get things rolling. All of this is dependent on my being able to save up enough money in time so it may all be for naught anyway or have to wait until 2012.

What are your guys thoughts on those countries? Obviously I'm looking to collect some new flags, but also see some amazing scenery and old world sights. What country would be the best? I'm feeling Romania, as I hooked up with a Romanian girl before in the US, and I just cannot get over how stunning she was, even years later. But I hear Estonia and Latvia have some of the most interesting cities in EE.

And any general tips for a young (well, 25) solo traveler would be good too. I'm not a wimp or anything, but I'm not that street smart, especially in foreign places.

Go balls deep

General Travel Questions

I recommend you not start your first abroad trip in Eastern Europe if this is your first abroad trip.

Of the countries you listed, if you have to do EE, do Estonia.

General Travel Questions

Obviously the big time travelers/flaggers on his forum are long time travelers with lots of vacations and travelling abroad under their belt accumulated over many many years.

I know there are a lot of younger guys like me who read the stories and can't wait to reach that point but many of us don't know where to start. I, for one, don't want to bite off more than I can chew and end up completely overwhelmed in a strange land. While Eastern Europe, Russia, Thailand, Colombia, and other countries sound great, I wonder if such places are good for a first time traveler. It sounds like a certain amount of experience and wisdom is needed before going to the more hardcore locations.

You crawl before you walk. What/where should newbs be focused on in order to take off the training wheels?

General Travel Questions

I should have been more clear. I've been to Europe before. France, Germany, Czech Republic. The only difference is that I was with friends that time, and this time I'd probably be alone. I've traveled across the US on my own before so the travel experience doesn't scare me or anything. Plus I am very good with languages and have a working knowledge of Russian and Spanish, so moving to a western Slavic or Romance language shouldn't be too drastic. With Estonian, I'm screwed on the language front (as are most people I'm sure).

What is it about EE that's unwise for me to try? I have to start somewhere, and I was probably going to visit a friend in London for a bit as well to get my feet wet before going east. I want an adventure, but I'm not looking to put my life at risk either.

Go balls deep

General Travel Questions

based on your criteria of collecting new flags, and seeing scenery and old world sights I have some suggestions:

Ireland: very easy to access from London, people are super fun, big drinking culture, plus EVERYONE SPEAKS ENGLISH

Spain and Portugal: You already have Spanish and these two are pretty cheap compared to the rest of the Euro zone.

Hungary: Hungary is a Western European country in terms of culture but it doesn't use the Euro. Budapest is a big party city that attracts women from all accross Europe.

If you already have Russian why don't you go to the Ukraine or Russia?

I don't know how long you have but you want to think about how you are going to travel around. are you planning to use budget carriers and if so how confident are you that you will be able to travel in a logical way, i.e. are their cheap flights from the right city in Estonia to the right city in Poland?

Why those countries? I believe other posters have said that, for instance, summer is not the best time to go to Krakow (one good location you have selected, although perhaps not on the main circut), as students are not around and it is floded w tourists. ...

good luck

General Travel Questions

I have never been to Poland, Romania or Estonia so I can't help you there.

However, I just put all my Riga, Latvia info into one EZ guide: http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2011/04/the...guide.html

If you are going at "the end of summer", I would try to hug that pretty close to August if you go to Riga.

I was there last Sept and it was already colder than a polar bears toenail.

General Travel Questions

Quote: (04-22-2011 09:33 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I have never been to Poland, Romania or Estonia so I can't help you there.

However, I just put all my Riga, Latvia info into one EZ guide: http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2011/04/the...guide.html

If you are going at "the end of summer", I would try to hug that pretty close to August if you go to Riga.

I was there last Sept and it was already colder than a polar bears toenail.

Awesome guide. I guess I should work on my judo takedowns before I go east then? Russian dudes are pricks. I have to teach during the summer, but I get two weeks off before fall semester starts so any vacation I take has to be in late August. Cold is no issue for me, but probably kills the nightlife a bit.

Upon reading, maybe Latvia's not the place for me. My game is probably not nearly as tight as yours, and if you had trouble hooking up I probably would even moreso.

I like Romania mainly because I'm a Dracula nut, and my ideal chick has dark features, with black/dark red hair, and that olive tinge to the skin.

Go balls deep

General Travel Questions

Here's my tip for you: if you want to get a flag, pick ONE country. Two weeks isn't a lot of time.

Getting flags and notching countries (like backpackers do) are two different things. Pick a country (your gut says Romania--go for it), narrow it down to 2 or 3 cities, then research the fuck out of them. Find lodgings which allow you to bring girls back (i.e. not hostel dorm rooms) and get a list of venues to hit day and night spots. Flag hunting takes work when you're limited on time. The worst thing you can do is roll up on day 1 with a Lonely Planet guide and no plan.

Quote:Quote:

What/where should newbs be focused on in order to take off the training wheels?

Big cities in Argentina/Colombia are fine for newbies who have common sense. If you feel comfortable there, Brazil shouldn't be a problem. I can't speak for Eastern Europe yet but I'm pretty sure it's safer than South America.

General Travel Questions

Thailand / SE Asia is very easy for the first time traveller and not at all dangerous.

General Travel Questions

Roosh: Yeah, I think Romania is where I'm leaning towards. Spreading myself too thin between countries, besides being a logistical nightmare, might make any game I run feel more rushed and awkward since I know I have a short time limit. Plus, I want to explore some countryside too, rather than just cities. I'm looking at couchsurfing.com, what are your thoughts on this?

Gringo: I've messed with Thai girls, and while they are pretty much down for any crazy thing I can think up, I have ZERO interest in SE Asia as a travel destination. Just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. None of the Far East does for that matter. Just not a fan of the culture (or food for that matter)

Go balls deep

General Travel Questions

DTA,
Roosh's tip and suggestion is a good one (about picking one place, researching all you can about it and then just go). However, if I can give you one advice is that of keeping a more open minded. I was exactly like you before, without even an ounce of interest in SEA. As soon as I landed there in BKK, I knew this place was like no other place and now, long story short, I'm hooked on Asia and I have the yellow fever. LOL. All in all, don't disregard Asia or SEA that quickly. It's an awesome and extremely addictive place and it's probably the most tourist friendly place on Earth. Give it a shot, you won't regret it, as a matter of fact, I can bet you that you'll be kicking yourself for not having made it there earlier...

General Travel Questions

I have ZERO interest in SE Asia as a travel destination. Just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. None of the Far East does for that matter. Just not a fan of the culture (or food for that matter)

Strange. I think if you went you would like it, just like every other person who goes does. It's a really easy place to fall in love with and has some of the best food in the world (not to mention friendly people, great girls, beautiful landscapes and scenery, loads of amazing things to, diversity i.e. busting cities, tropical islands, mountains and rainforests). You won't find beter food on the street than Thai anywhere else in the world.

What puts you off so much DTA?

General Travel Questions

Quote: (04-22-2011 07:00 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

I have ZERO interest in SE Asia as a travel destination. Just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. None of the Far East does for that matter. Just not a fan of the culture (or food for that matter)

Strange. I think if you went you would like it, just like every other person who goes does. It's a really easy place to fall in love with and has some of the best food in the world (not to mention friendly people, great girls, beautiful landscapes and scenery, loads of amazing things to, diversity i.e. busting cities, tropical islands, mountains and rainforests). You won't find beter food on the street than Thai anywhere else in the world.

For me to want to go somewhere, I really need to be interested in the culture. While I do have a soft (hard) spot for Asian girls, I just have ZERO interest in Asian culture. It seems too crowded there, and too hectic, of which I'm not a fan. So while I may be open to it in the future after I've exhausted Europe (my absolute favorite continent), I'd rather spend whatever money I can scrape up on a place I'm really fascinated by. Plus, I have an even softer spot for Euro women.

Lastly, I absolutely HATE Asian food. I love Indian food and sushi, but the rest I can't stand for some reason.

Go balls deep

General Travel Questions

Quote: (04-23-2011 01:42 PM)DTA Wrote:  

Quote: (04-22-2011 07:00 PM)Gringo Wrote:  

For me to want to go somewhere, I really need to be interested in the culture. While I do have a soft (hard) spot for Asian girls, I just have ZERO interest in Asian culture. It seems too crowded there, and too hectic, of which I'm not a fan. So while I may be open to it in the future after I've exhausted Europe (my absolute favorite continent), I'd rather spend whatever money I can scrape up on a place I'm really fascinated by. Plus, I have an even softer spot for Euro women.

Lastly, I absolutely HATE Asian food. I love Indian food and sushi, but the rest I can't stand for some reason.

I'm fascinated with Europe, I don't care for Asia, I love Indian food and sushi. Sounds so cliché.

I agree with VP, broaden your mind a bit.

General Travel Questions

Quote: (04-23-2011 02:45 PM)Luckystar Wrote:  

I'm fascinated with Europe, I don't care for Asia, I love Indian food and sushi. Sounds so cliché.

Pay for my ticket to Asia, and I'll gladly go and probably have an amazing time. However, since I'm not rolling in cash, I have to be more selective about where I go. I'd rather start with places I really want to see. Explain how this is cliché?

Anyways, Romania is definitely my destination. Looks gorgeous there, and I'm a sucker for their women.

Go balls deep

General Travel Questions

Quote: (04-23-2011 04:15 PM)DTA Wrote:  

Quote: (04-23-2011 02:45 PM)Luckystar Wrote:  

Pay for my ticket to Asia, and I'll gladly go and probably have an amazing time. However, since I'm not rolling in cash, I have to be more selective about where I go. I'd rather start with places I really want to see. Explain how this is cliché?

Anyways, Romania is definitely my destination. Looks gorgeous there, and I'm a sucker for their women.

I'll say this...Romanian girls can be very HOT.

I've had the pleasure of two Romanian girls in my life. Solid 9s.

Everyone tells me Bucuresti is a complete dump and that Constanta and Cluj-Napoca are better for girls.

General Travel Questions

Romania is tough unless you have excellent networking skills, and can get in.

General Travel Questions

Quote: (04-23-2011 05:50 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Romania is tough unless you have excellent networking skills, and can get in.

I have horrible networking skills. Do they not allow many westerners in? I've heard that about eastern Europe, especially Russia.

Go balls deep

General Travel Questions

I'm sure he didn't mean get in to the country, more likely get in with the right crowds to meet people etc.

I just have ZERO interest in Asian culture. It seems too crowded there, and too hectic, of which I'm not a fan

Is it because you don't know much about Asian culture? It's pretty diverse, rich, interesting and unusual. Asia has literally something for everyone, it's not one set culture, pretty unique from country to country to wright a whole continent off makes little sense.

I absolutely HATE Asian food. I love Indian food and sushi, but the rest I can't stand for some reason.

You've probably just tried bad Asian food at home.

Do they not allow many westerners in? I've heard that about eastern Europe, especially Russia

I don't know where you heard that these countries don't allow Westerners in, of course they do. It's Europe we're talking about here.

General Travel Questions

Quote: (04-23-2011 06:03 PM)DTA Wrote:  

I have horrible networking skills. Do they not allow many westerners in? I've heard that about eastern Europe, especially Russia.

No, typically they do not (I assume you understand we're talking about the people, not the country in general - you don't even need a visa to enter the country). It is actually very similar to Russia - you can meet people, and they will be very friendly toward you, and you can go out with them, and it will feel like a date - but as soon as you try to escalate, this will be your last date. Even if you escalate it to the point where you got laid - which would be very rare - this still would be your last date. It may work if you escalate slowly (i.e. getting for the kiss on date three), but then you'd spend much more time, and it only would make sense if you are trying to find an LTR. There are other options, of course, like finding a girl who'd enjoy clubbing and dining with you in expensive places - at your expense, of course - and she will put out. However it makes little sense as the whores would be much cheaper.

How much time you're going to spend there?

General Travel Questions

Quote: (04-23-2011 04:29 PM)Luckystar Wrote:  

Everyone tells me Bucuresti is a complete dump and that Constanta and Cluj-Napoca are better for girls.

I'll agree with Cluj, and disagree with Constanta. Also check Iasi and Timisoara.

General Travel Questions

When I was in Cebu, I met a german guy, middle aged, well off, who lived in Romania for a while and he said that Romania was a goldmine up until 2006, but since then, companies like Ryan air and other cheap cariers in Europe brought loads and loads of horny guys. As a result, nowadays, girls there are very hardcore and cold. Something to keep in mind...

General Travel Questions

Quote: (04-25-2011 08:02 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

When I was in Cebu, I met a german guy, middle aged, well off, who lived in Romania for a while and he said that Romania was a goldmine up until 2006, but since then, companies like Ryan air and other cheap cariers in Europe brought loads and loads of horny guys. As a result, nowadays, girls there are very hardcore and cold. Something to keep in mind...

Welcome to Eastern Europe.

General Travel Questions

I don't think Romania has quite suffered as badly as other places like Poland, Latvia, Czech etc. It's still not a prime stag / holiday destination.

General Travel Questions

Quote: (04-26-2011 02:43 AM)Gringo Wrote:  

I don't think Romania has quite suffered as badly as other places like Poland, Latvia, Czech etc. It's still not a prime stag / holiday destination.

True, but it is/was a notable sex tourist destination.