rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do you psyche yourself up for heavy sets

So you're going for your heavy set of squats or deadlifts, perhaps trying to break a personal record. What do you do immediately before you do that first pull? Do you visualize yourself doing the exercise? Clear your head? Mentally psyche yourself some other way? What about gaze and breathing?Any tips are welcome.

Gangster rap. Punk rock. Kanye West.

Also deep breath's.

no psyching up, calming down instead.

stand in front of the bar, deep breaths, set my shoulders, feet, lock down abs. calm. tight.

then go!

Quote: (11-06-2014 10:17 AM)Downtown Wrote:  

no psyching up, calming down instead.

stand in front of the bar, deep breaths, set my shoulders, feet, lock down abs. calm. tight.

then go!

Embrace suffering. Learn to love the struggle. Reframe your brain to love the pain.

If you enter into a heavy deadlift with dread thinking about how much you're going to suffer and completely ignore the benefits that you're going to accrue, you will wuss out when the going gets rough.

Instead adopt the attitude that pain is just weakness leaving your body.

Remember this when the pain is searing through your glutes on a PB breaking squat.

Just that small reframe has always been enough to see me through the toughest lifts.

I don't at all subscribe to this myself, but one of my friends in college was a competitive powerlifter. Before big sets on the bench, he'd place a wooden plank under his shirt to protect his sternum, crank up the music on his headphones, and then sniff ammonia.

Apparently it's fairly common in powerlifting circles. I can't imagine it's good for you though

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-ar...erlifters/

Looking at what works for me, and what works for the heavy lifters in my gym:

Hyperfocus is key. If you're used to shooting the shit with other people, cut it out. At least a minute before the set, you're quiet and alone with your thoughts. Instructions (e.g. for your spotter) and preparations are taken care of and you can concentrate on the bar.

Visualize the reps. Go through the movements in your head. Become one with your muscles. Sounded weird when I first heard that, I think from Arnold, but placing your mind inside your contracting muscles is highly effective.

Music. Not everyone likes it, and tastes vary so bring a headset. Rap, hard techno and metal can work. Aggression is an emotion that can be induced very well by the right sound. It's not a coincidence ghetto kids don't listen to Mozart.

Great advice/insight from davyjose, about needing to crave the suffering:

Quote:Quote:

If you enter into a heavy deadlift with dread thinking about how much you're going to suffer and completely ignore the benefits that you're going to accrue, you will wuss out when the going gets rough.

Edit: Don't forget breathing. Breathing right before and during the set is important. It depends on the person and movement, but don't breath too much (e.g. first to reps no exhaling at all) and generally exhale just after you start pushing (e.g. upwards with squat or bench).

Metallica.

I stare at myself in the mirror with intense focus and I look like a psychopath.

I imagine all the people who have doubted me in my life and wanted me to fail. All the people who told me it couldn't be done, that I'd never amount to anything.

I start getting angry. I tell myself that they are watching now. That if I don't give it my all, I'd be proving them right.

Then I think of people who have supported me. I think to myself that I have to do this for them because they are my fans. I can't let them down.

Sounds a little weird, but it works for me.

I use this technique when I need motivation in several different types of tasks.

I talk to myself.

Quote: (11-06-2014 07:05 PM)Neo Wrote:  

I stare at myself in the mirror with intense focus and I look like a psychopath.

I imagine all the people who have doubted me in my life and wanted me to fail. All the people who told me it couldn't be done, that I'd never amount to anything.

I start getting angry. I tell myself that they are watching now. That if I don't give it my all, I'd be proving them right.

Then I think of people who have supported me. I think to myself that I have to do this for them because they are my fans. I can't let them down.

I use this technique when I need motivation in several different types of tasks.

Love it.

Love it.

Music wise I like to listen to dark, evil, malevolent "broken-beat" techno from the likes of Surgeon, British Murder Boys, Oscar Mulero, Ancient Methods..

If this shit doesn't get you lifting like an uncaged animal nothing will..

Jump up and down on the spot then Tadasana pose.

"Pain is certain, suffering is optional" - Buddah

Nothing. I just put the weights on the bar, then lift it. When I am physically unable to finish a rep, I drop the bar or lower it onto the guard.

I listen to this song and stare at myself with a evil look on my face in the mirror.

This song puts me in rare form... Its not upbeat and super heavy like a lot of my workout music.. but it makes me feel evil as shit. The lyrics strike home for me and get me pumped up to get as strong and big as I can.
"Some of them want to abuse you" I think of getting into fights and protecting myself
"Some of them want to be abused" I think of hot sluts I want to dominate

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

I go to a university that is about 65% female, and one of the most attractive student bodies in Canada for sure.
Having cute girls watching is better than a pre workout

Deep breath.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

I just remind myself that the only reason my body is different from the body of the average skinny twerp or a fat blob is the fact that I choose to lift heavy weights. I choose to embrace that pain. I choose to climb that mountain every day I'm in the gym. The day I don't push myself to do those heavy sets is the day I start to slide back toward average.

And I refuse to be average. So that heavy weight gets lifted hard every time.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Quote: (11-06-2014 11:02 AM)sixsix Wrote:  

Visualize the reps. Go through the movements in your head. Become one with your muscles. Sounded weird when I first heard that, I think from Arnold, but placing your mind inside your contracting muscles is highly effective.

This is what works for me, especially on squats where I get often stuck at the bottom when fatigued. It's hard to explain, but I visualise the energy being transferred from my legs into the ground as I power the bar upwards - almost as if I'm pushing into the ground rather than focusing on lifting the bar up. If I spend ten seconds doing this before the lift, it always seems lighter and I am less likely to fail the rep.

Watch this on loop, /endthread.

http://nattyornot.com/tips-prepare-mind-heavy-lifting/

Like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMN1vLa1O1w#t=1m00s

Great post. Additionally, I feel this is the perfect track for lifting, short but enough to last a whole set:

You might not love the physique or bodybuilding in general, but gotta love the attitute of the legend Coleman... Yeah buddy lightweight!!!

I download CT Fletcher Youtube videos as MP3 files with http://www.youtube-mp3.org , put them on my iPod and listen to him get crazy!

Check out Pimp Game, Picking Up Strippers, The Fun Way!, Weaponized: Add Cold Reading to your arsenal! and Tarot Game.

Game isn’t what I use to get what I want out of women.
Game is what I use to get what I want out of life.