rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Playing sports vs. Lifting

If you don't have a ton of time to spend on physical activity, would you choose playing sports or lifting?

These days I'm working a nice 60 hours a week, and on the side, I am working on my music and trying to get it to be a legit side business.

This leaves me with less hours to do physical activity, and over the last few years, I've had nagging injuries develop from lifting weights.

I'm finding playing sports to be better on my body (with proper stretching, pilates on the side to keep joints healthy) and also a decent way to meet new people.

But the lifestyle effects of lifting weights are obvious and missed. Don't think there is a thing out there that gets a woman's attraction going like the aesthetic benefits of weights.

I'd suggest lifting weights.
With sports there are too many variables that can get you hurt.
Lifting in a gym you can at least control the weights, reps and intensity.
Gym's can be social as well...meet other bro's that lift and give you direction if you aren't lifting correctly.

Lifting can only take as little as three 1 hour sessions a week. From personal experience you will put on way more muscle from lifting with the correct nutrition and sleep then you will from playing sports and will be less likely to get an injury as well. If you have to choose one over the other definitely go with lifting.

I usually feel fine playing sports, but lifting always results in some sort of RSI type injury.

I've had forearm tendonitis on and off for 2 years so I had to stop lifting for awhile and then when I returned, had to lift much lighter. Its compounded by my use of a mouse at work, which there is no way I can really get out of.

I had IT Band syndrome in my knee area the last few months, which through a lot of rehab, I was able to recover, but that took me out the leg press/squat/deadlift game for a long time.

I've just encountered too many little issues like this that pop up and even with stretching, rest and foam rolling, they never fully go away.

Playing sports also needs weight training for cardio and flexibility.

I've been lifting for 20 years, but until recently it was only as an aid for other sports.

First it was kickboxing, then it was rugby, then it was muay thai/MMA. These were the pursuits I had goals in, lifting was just something to help me achieve them.

But so long as you have specific (S.M.A.R.T.) goals in lifting, I don't see any reason why lifting for liftings sake couldn't be fulfilling. It all depends on you.

Quote: (11-06-2014 12:53 AM)DonovanVC Wrote:  

I had IT Band syndrome in my knee area the last few months, which through a lot of rehab, I was able to recover, but that took me out the leg press/squat/deadlift game for a long time.

Hey Donovan,

I've the same problem my IT band. What did you do to fix it? I'm trying to rehab with glutes/hip strengthening exercises but getting nowhere. Tried foam rolling,ice but nothing's seemed to work.

I always sucked at sports. Was uncoordinated, weak, etc.

After I started lifting I surprisingly got better at sports.

However, I still look at lifting as one of those "foundational" things that makes everything else better.

I say lift.

I'd split. Mondays (and Wed) are ballin' night at my gym. I'd try to get in a good day of ballin' per week, but definitely get in lifting during the rest of the week.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

I usually feel fine playing sports, but lifting always results in some sort of RSI type injury.

I've had forearm tendonitis on and off for 2 years so I had to stop lifting for awhile and then when I returned, had to lift much lighter. Its compounded by my use of a mouse at work, which there is no way I can really get out of.

I've just encountered too many little issues like this that pop up and even with stretching, rest and foam rolling, they never fully go away.

You legitimately sound busy, but also sounds like this injury thing is the real problem. A basic lifting program to at least maintain your size and strength shouldn't take much time (though travel to gym, etc. adds to that and given how busy you are energy is also a factor). Even two days a week would do a lot. Say bench/deadlift one day, squat/overhead press the other, and do some pushups, core, and pullups whenever you have a chance--got room at home for a pullup bar?

So the injury thing seems like the problem. Has the lifting you've been doing been high volume? A basic strength program isn't much volume so overuse injuries would seem unusual (but I am not a trainer or anything).

But you didn't ask for lifting advice. The only answer I can give you to your "sports or lifting" question is that your interests may change over time. Perfectly fine to go back and forth. Do what you enjoy, play sports for awhile, then go into offseason mode and build your strength and size back up.

Do Freeletics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGnAQqlrKoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuhzWKbRq6s

I've been doing Freeletics for 60 weeks now and my body is as hard as a rock and I never got injured. When you endure the pain of the first weeks it takes you only 2 hours a week on average to complete the full week of training. (not counting the time to recover and time to stretch before the training). You will only need a pull up bar as an equipment, no need to join the gym.

Before Freeletics, I played football (what Americans call soccer) for my entire life and I got injuries on every part of my body you can imagine. I was very prone to injury. My dear Freeletics never got me injured. As a bonus, the girls I bang can't seem to get their hands off my body.

It depends on your priorities. If you want to have fun and blow off steam, I'd say that you should play sports. If you feel like you have the energy, and would prefer to spend your time making a big physical difference to your body (as opposed to having fun playing sport) then I'd say lift weights.
If undecided, I'd go for lifting weights.

Its up to you man, what do you enjoy more? Life is about living and enjoying it. Looking back, what will make you happier to have done?

Quote: (11-06-2014 04:31 AM)davyjose Wrote:  

Hey Donovan,

I've the same problem my IT band. What did you do to fix it? I'm trying to rehab with glutes/hip strengthening exercises but getting nowhere. Tried foam rolling,ice but nothing's seemed to work.

Hey man that is a terrible injury and after several months its finally going away for me now. I used a solid PT program of:

1) Pelvic curls
2) Straight leg raises (lie on your back, with one leg bent, then raise the other leg straight up to the same height as your knee on the bent leg)
3) Clams
4) Table tops

I would do these four exercises that mostly focus on building greater hip strength, probably one set each for about 10 reps. As you get stronger, you can try 2 sets. I did this 2-3 times a week. Its quick enough to do as a warm up on perhaps your bench press days instead of walking/jogging etc.

I would follow it up then with some hip stretches and foam rolling.

Slowly and surely it worked.

Quote: (11-06-2014 10:04 AM)Ryre Wrote:  

You legitimately sound busy, but also sounds like this injury thing is the real problem. A basic lifting program to at least maintain your size and strength shouldn't take much time (though travel to gym, etc. adds to that and given how busy you are energy is also a factor). Even two days a week would do a lot. Say bench/deadlift one day, squat/overhead press the other, and do some pushups, core, and pullups whenever you have a chance--got room at home for a pullup bar?

So the injury thing seems like the problem. Has the lifting you've been doing been high volume? A basic strength program isn't much volume so overuse injuries would seem unusual (but I am not a trainer or anything).

But you didn't ask for lifting advice. The only answer I can give you to your "sports or lifting" question is that your interests may change over time. Perfectly fine to go back and forth. Do what you enjoy, play sports for awhile, then go into offseason mode and build your strength and size back up.

My main weight lifting injury is forearm tendonitis. I injured it about 2.5 years ago when I was clearly trying too much volume. I rested it for months and had some cortisone shots, and it went away for about a year, and I got back in the weight room for close to a year.

Then, inexplicably, when I moved back to the US about 7 months ago, it just came back. It is clearly aggravated by using the computer at work, especially the mouse. Making my workstation more ergonomic has helped but the arm is still on fire after long bouts of the computer.

I am considering trying rehab for it so I can lift again, but in the meantime I've been getting into golf, walking, pilates, and want to maybe do some rowing.

But I can't get away from the appeal of weights, its just that any upper body exercises are just a no go with the forearm tendonitis.

Id say it depends on your end game. Playing a sport develops your coordination and helps create fluidity in your movements. It will also help you get more muscle fibers firing in a functional way.
Think of playing sports as developing your athleticism
And lifting weights as developing power.

Lifting weights will make you stronger and bigger but will not make you a better athlete per say.
Playing sports may make you slightly bigger as you use the muscles for athletic movements. But for the most part it is just trying to "wake up" what you already have.

I feel like I kinda just talked in a circle lol, hope it helps...

Attraction and passion are non-negotiable

I hear ya. I dont know, with the state of my foraerm, i dont see any way for me to lift again.

I do both. ¿Por qué no los dos?

But it sounds like your injury issues are caused by neither sport nor lifting. Fix your bad habits at work first so you don't make your injuries worse and give your body the chance to heal.

It depends on the sport. Will you gain any jersey chasers/puck bunnies?

I know my limits and what I'm capable of. I'm busy as hell but bust my ass to hit the gym and make it to my hockey games even when I'm feeling spent.

You know your body. You might just need a kick in the ass and someone to tell you to do both. Wake up early and hit the gym. Catch the game of pickup when you have spare time. Just don't do a specific lift that might hurt you.

You are never too busy for self improvement.

Playing sports is better than lifting weights. If you play half-hour of football, than it makes your body more than weightlifting. By the way its my view, i prefer playing sports instead of lifting weights.
rating

Hey Donovan,

I know I am a little late to the party, but when I had ITBS, this is what I was told by my masseusse, coach and teammates. IT band problems are fundamentally a tightness problem, so the solution is stretching, foam rolling and massage. When I had it, it was bad enough that I couldn't walk down stairs without pain. It took me about a month and a half to rehab which consisted of stretching and foam rolling three times a day, icing atleast once a day. By the time I started seeing the masseusse, he told me that everything was fine except for a giant knot right in my butt which the foam roller couldn't get to. Between him working on it twice and me working on it daily (through stretching and self massage), I was able to get rid of the problem. I ain't saying that strengthing exercises are useless, I'm just saying what helped me get over it was massage and stretching specifically related to the knot which was causing problems. Hopefully this helps.

To be honest if you really didn't have time for anything else I'd suggest 3 boxing sessions per week. I got fast and powerful from just doing hard training 3 days per week. Best way to get into shape.

However in terms of lifting I achieved a 2x bodyweight squat and massive legs by doing 20 mins sessions of only squats and deadlifts 3 times per week. Lifting takes only as long as you allow it.

Quote: (11-07-2014 12:54 AM)DonovanVC Wrote:  

Hey Donovan,

Hey man that is a terrible injury and after several months its finally going away for me now. I used a solid PT program of:

1) Pelvic curls
2) Straight leg raises (lie on your back, with one leg bent, then raise the other leg straight up to the same height as your knee on the bent leg)
3) Clams
4) Table tops

I would do these four exercises that mostly focus on building greater hip strength, probably one set each for about 10 reps. As you get stronger, you can try 2 sets. I did this 2-3 times a week. Its quick enough to do as a warm up on perhaps your bench press days instead of walking/jogging etc.

I would follow it up then with some hip stretches and foam rolling.

Slowly and surely it worked.

Hey Donovan,

Thanks for that man. Between three physios and scouring the web looking for info I've not come across anything solid that properly addresses the issue from a weight training perspective apart from this below..

http://fuckyeahheavylifting.wordpress.co...n-help-it/

Anywhere else seems to address IT band problems from a running point of view, and I suspect that in order to get your band right for heavy squats and deadlifts requires a different approach than running.

The above link while good paints some very broad strokes in what you need to do, and is short in terms of an actual solid rehab plan.

Between it all what I've put together is close enough to what you're doing, bar pelvic curls. Seems to be what I'm doing is the right way, just need to give it a bit more time.

Cheers for the help.

Sports will definitely increase your cardiovascular capacity & conditioning but muscle alone is built through progressive tension overload (i.e. increasing strength) and with sports you don't have as much guarantee of/control over that.

With a minimalist program involving nothing more than 1 heavy set of squats, bench, chinups, and deads you can build muscle in less than 30 minutes a week. Here is one such program.

Quote: (11-06-2014 09:14 AM)heavy Wrote:  

I'd split. Mondays (and Wed) are ballin' night at my gym. I'd try to get in a good day of ballin' per week, but definitely get in lifting during the rest of the week.

This is what I'd recommend. I started out just ballin' during my lunch hour 4 times a week. If you bust your ass in full court basketball you will see results. Girls I had known for a little while began commenting that I looked stronger. The only real difference in my upper body was my reduced body fat percentage made me look much more cut. However, I eventually gained the time to incorporate weights at night and I noticed a huge difference in my leg strength.

If you don't have the opportunity to play any sports with people that hustle a bit then it isn't really worth it though. You need to use the sport as an excuse to get a ridiculous cardio workout in.