rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Butter Coffee for more energy?

Butter Coffee
This Weird New Way To Drink Coffee Might Be A Game-Changer

[Image: 1zqyhpv.jpg]

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt/b...offee.html

Butter Coffee is the latest development in the “high-fat diet” movement. The recipe for the coffee was introduced by Dave Asprey on his website, The Bulletproof Executive, and has since made headlines in the Daily Mail, various health food blogs, and even reached the hallowed lips of Matt Lauer on the Today Show (although he found it repulsive — that Lauer!).
Asprey first got the idea to create his own version of the coffee after being “rejuvenated by a creamy cup of yak butter tea at 18,000 feet elevation near Mt. Kailash in Tibet.” Using butter in tea or coffee is a common practice in many parts of Southeast Asia and Africa, and is especially beneficial to those living at high altitudes. Asprey states that he starts every morning with butter coffee and claims that it will give you “the best mornings of your life, with boundless energy and focus.”

Before you grab a stick of butter and start using it as a stir stick, here's the actual recipe:

Blend 2 Tbsps of non-salted, grass-fed butter, 1 tsp of MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) Palm Oil and Coconut Oil and 1 cup of coffee in a blender until frothy.

Asprey claims that grass-fed butter “optimizes cholesterol levels.” Although many health organizations advise against regular consumption of saturated fats, studies have found that MCT oils may not carry the same risks as other saturated fats and are very easily absorbed and turned into energy by the body. Plus, they are supposed to make you feel full longer, which can help with weight loss.

Each cup of butter coffee weighs in at about 100 to 200 calories, which is a lot for coffee, but if you subscribe to the mentality of the high-fat diet, it is not the amount of calories that matters, but the type.

The catch?

As with any new trendy health-food item (acai berries, quinoa, kale) you don’t just add it to your diet and then kick back and relax as the pounds melt away and you develop into a high-functioning, Adonis-like manbeast. The classic pillars of health — regular exercise, lots of water, rest, and a balanced diet — must be maintained (although, there is a lot of debate these days as to what exactly a “balanced” diet is).

Those who swear by the “high-fat diet” maintain that diet is a bigger factor in weight than exercise. However, the benefits of exercise on the mind and body are not lost on anyone. If you’re trying to lose weight, drinking a cup of butter coffee every morning and then going to sit on your butt for eight hours in an office might not be the best way to go about it. It may be better to save this energy-boosting treat for workouts, sports, and impressing women with your knowledge of health. And for the days when you’re not climbing mountains in the Appalachians, try acquiring a taste for drinking a cup of good quality coffee — black.

Team Nachos

I've been drinking coffee blended with about 4-6tbsps of Kerrygold unsalted butter in the mornings for about three years now.

It is my favorite way.

I'll use the MCT if I have it, but very little, as i think that is the factor that makes me a little too wired.

Its getting mainstream now. These two girls are opening 'butter coffee' shops in Toronto. Good savvy business move, but fans of BP coffee are complaining since they don't blend it fresh for you, it comes from massive thermoses where they blend it all at thier main store.

BP coffee co. Has to aggressively link thier name to 'butter coffee' so that it becomes the Kleenex of butter coffee in which the brand names is synonymous with all the same style products.

As far as the coffee goes. It worked for me when I was drinking it last spring. Gave me heavy shits tho I won't even lie. I don't drink coffee often so that and the CO Oil acted like a laxative to my system.

I'll use butter in my coffee (espresso americano, to be precise) occasionally when I don't have any milk or cream. For the most part I use heavy whipping cream. I never noticed any difference in energy or focus over whipping cream or just drinking it black.

Tastes better with some bourbon in it too.

As for energy level, it's just fat. Unless your body is already in ketosis burning primarily fat for fuel, you won't feel much of an energy spike.

Well you get the obvious caffeine kick from the coffee. The butter is probably easily absorbed energy by your digestive system. Not to mention cholesterol which is used in the production of testosterone. I'm sure it's just as easy to butter up a few pieces of toast though.

Team Nachos

I also use Kerry Gold butter into my coffee on occasion (I dont really drink coffee - I just use caffeine pills if I need energy). The taste and texture of the coffee is really good with a little butter blended in.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

So would I look like a fool if I started adding butter to my hot green tea? Its got caffeine in it and I don't drink coffee.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (11-02-2014 08:20 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

So would I look like a fool if I started adding butter to my hot green tea? Its got caffeine in it and I don't drink coffee.

I tried it, tastes terrible.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

What's all this butter nonsense people are yapping about?

Is butter good for you or something?

Please be yes!

Quote: (11-02-2014 08:41 PM)RawGod Wrote:  

Quote: (11-02-2014 08:20 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

I tried it, tastes terrible.

I don't know. When I'm sick I like buttered toast and hot tea with lemon. It doesn't taste too bad washing it down. I guess as long as you're ingesting the butter and caffeine somehow it's all good.

I guess the heat of the liquid loosens up everything in your bowels, the caffeine wakes you up and makes you poop and the butter primes up your system with some needed energy.

Team Nachos

I'm thinking the main benefit of this isn't the optimum cholesterol, its having the coffee without any additional breakfast foods which are usually carb heavy. I do bulletproof coffee instead of breakfast most mornings. Not sure if its really all that MCT oil but it seems the fat and lack of carbs gets my metabolism going.

How many cups of this are you guys drinking? I'm usually only doing 8oz in the AM. Need to experiment with the amount of MCT and Butter.

Lately I've been doing 3 Nespresso Capsules + Butter + MCT oil.

Its the MCT oil thats key. The butter just helps with emulsion and taste.

It seems as though butter is well and truly 'in' this season. It even made it on the cover of Time magazine

[Image: Time-Saturated-fat-Butter-cover-sm.jpg]

Although so did Hitler so take from that what you will. I did implement this into my daily routine for a time and can say I definitely enjoyed drinking it. As to the claims made by new age guru's such as Dave Asprey about it's health benefit's I'm not a bio-chemist so I don't know but it definitely filled me up and gave me energy

"You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge" Scroobius Pip

TIME blows where ever this wind takes them. They were in love and sold Hitler to the American people as it mirrored views in the American establishment whom gushed at him. Once he started drooling at Czechoslovakia and roasting people they turned on him.

But hey. The shock the soft plastic aka Margarine is no good for us, versus natural dairy fat and acids found in butter. Plus I believe the big dairy lobby has been hit hard with decreased milk consumption as more people drink alternatives such as soy and almond milk which have been seeing steady increases in sales.

This sounds like something Kramer would push.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

Just a little heads up on MCT Oil.

I used this stuff in college when I was busy as hell, full time student(16 credits), 25+hours a week of work, part time radio DJ at the school and going after girls.

Its very powerful. I would simply drink a chug of it a couple times a day. I almost never felt like I had an empty stomach but I was eating less and full of energy. I also lost almost every ounce of body fat, so be careful.

After this, I told all my fat/overweight friends and immediately 3 took me up on the idea and lost a lot of weight and have kept it off. This is 10+ years now. Game changer. Check it out. Be careful.

Quote: (11-03-2014 01:27 AM)kosko Wrote:  

TIME blows where ever this wind takes them. They were in love and sold Hitler to the American people as it mirrored views in the American establishment whom gushed at him. Once he started drooling at Czechoslovakia and roasting people they turned on him.

But hey. The shock the soft plastic aka Margarine is no good for us, versus natural dairy fat and acids found in butter. Plus I believe the big dairy lobby has been hit hard with decreased milk consumption as more people drink alternatives such as soy and almond milk which have been seeing steady increases in sales.

Agreed, I love the title and how it says, "Why scientists were wrong!"

Yeah, maybe this is why people shouldn't treat highly credentialed individuals as demi-gods who are infallible.

Keto followers will know this as good ol' 'Bulletproof coffee'.

Add a bit of cocoa powder and a couple of drops of vanilla, then you have the closest tasting Keto thing to a McDonalds milkshake type dessert thingy.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Quote: (11-03-2014 07:38 AM)ball dont lie Wrote:  

Can you or anyone else reading this suggest the best sources for MCT Oil?

I buy both Coconut Milk, and Coconut Oil regularly, would more of this be sufficient or is there a big difference between MCT Oil and Coconut Oil?

That KerryGold butter is a scam. They admit that they feed GMO grain to their "grass fed" cows.

That KerryGold butter is a scam. They admit that they feed GMO grain to their "grass fed" cows.
http://kerrygoldusa.com/faq/#qa34

Quote: (11-03-2014 03:03 PM)LeBeau Wrote:  

Quote: (11-03-2014 07:38 AM)ball dont lie Wrote:  

Can you or anyone else reading this suggest the best sources for MCT Oil?

I buy both Coconut Milk, and Coconut Oil regularly, would more of this be sufficient or is there a big difference between MCT Oil and Coconut Oil?

No. MCT oil is just easier to work with. Both the oil and CO Oil are basically the same MCT chained fats. I forget what MCT oil is sources from but another MCT chain type far is Palm oil. Even less versitile (color and rich taste) but its way cheaper if you can track down the cold pressed stuff.

I changed my coffee up a bit. Used more beans, less butter and more MCT. Feel a little more energy/focus. Could be from the stronger brew of coffee though.

For many centuries, it has been a Mongol custom to drink tea with butter added.

I remember reading that once in a book about the Mongol "yurt" culture on the Asian steppes (a "yurt" a tent-like habitation).