rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What shoe brands last longer?

As a lad, I never cared about anything other than color and didnt pay attention to what brand was what. Now that I have more awareness of the world, and some experience buying my own shoes, I have realized that some shoes are garbage. I work at a retail store and the shoes we sell pretty much all are crap. I bought these boots that lasted almost two years, but sometime in there the pleather started peeling, the laces busted up, and a week or two ago I discovered the heel is detaching. And of course the ever-present heel holes that indicate its time for a new pair.

I went to look at Macys, J C Penney, Champs, and Famous Footwear. Interesting options, better than where I work, but also at least twice as expensive. I looked at Nikes, Reeboks, and Dr Scholls, but wasnt sure if the price increase carried over proportionally in durability, so I didnt buy any.

I am looking for a pair of work boots (do not need steel toe) and regular boots, having found that boots look better and carry more authority. Additionally, a girl once said she liked my boots vs no one ever saying they liked my shoes.

So what are good quality brands? And are they worth it? My price range probably maxes out at $50. After that, I feel that it would be ridiculous, unless you can strongly recommend that $60-80 is better or something. The guy at Macys suggested some shoes that were $80 and up and I found that unnecessary.

My impression is unless you get things discounted somewhere, it costs a bit more than $100 to get a real solid made boot with heavy leather and very redundant stitching that you can abuse and not have it start to shred. Here's the classic Timberlands that look pretty solid but they're $130 list price.

I think you could wear those every day for a couple years before they die. I think you're supposed to give shoes a chance to dry out so the leather doesn't rot however.

http://shop.timberland.com/family/index....Id=4273885

I got a second pair of work boots from walmart for really heavy commercial and industrial jobs and their indestructible. They've held up better than my redwings.

I currently have Red Wing boots. Can recommend. A little stiff in the beginning but that's how real leather is.

For high quality: Loake 1881.
They should last 20 years if you are taking care of them.

Sorry mate, but $50 is never going to get you anything quality. Saying $50 and quality in the same sentence is crazy.

What you want in a boot is quality leather. First this will dictate comfort and protection, second they wont look like shit in a year.

Second is sole. The sole should be high quality acid/oil resistant and perhaps most importantly (if the leather is good) is that it is replaceable. Especially the heels. Boots are heel stompers.

The only way to make a cheap shoe or boot is to glue the shit out of them. Toxic process that end up in landfills after a few months. This process is just bad for everyone.

I second Red Wing.
I prefer Dayton.
Workboot- Terra. Steel toe, made in Canada.
People seem to love Freye.

You are better off saving some $$ and getting something good. But you are looking at minimum of $200 to $450. Think about though, my Daytons were $400 and I bought them seven years ago. That about $5 a month.

Sorry mate, but $50 is never going to get you anything quality. Saying $50 and quality in the same sentence is crazy.

What you want in a boot is quality leather. First this will dictate comfort and protection, second they wont look like shit in a year.

Second is sole. The sole should be high quality acid/oil resistant and perhaps most importantly (if the leather is good) is that it is replaceable. Especially the heels. Boots are heel stompers.

The only way to make a cheap shoe or boot is to glue the shit out of them. Toxic process that end up in landfills after a few months. This process is just bad for everyone.

I second Red Wing.
I prefer Dayton.
Workboot- Terra. Steel toe, made in Canada.
People seem to love Freye.

You are better off saving some $$ and getting something good. But you are looking at minimum of $200 to $450. Think about though, my Daytons were $400 and I bought them seven years ago. That about $5 a month.

I have some Alden shoes that have lasted a really long time. One pair is 15 years old and just needs to be re-soled.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

RedWings all the way, I love mine.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Work/rugged boot- $300-450:
Red Wings
Wolverine 1000-mile boots
Blundstones

Style boot- $350-500:
Alden
Allen Edmonds

If you go with chukka or desert boots, Ecco, Clarks, or Wolverine are fine and cost around $150-$200. The boots by all these brands should last at least five years and up to 10 or 15 (except the Ecco and Clarks, because they have rubber soles) if you use shoe trees, polish and treat the leather, and rotate your daily use. I buy one pair of black and one pair of brown, then rotate wearing them every other day. It allows the leather a day to come back into shape. Putting out $500-800 for a pair of boots may sound onerous, but it's worth it in the long run.

I have a 400€ pair of Tod's Boots.

Look great, are super confortable and will last at least 10 years.

Money well spent.

Quote: (10-17-2014 10:56 PM)zaqan Wrote:  

So what are good quality brands? And are they worth it? My price range probably maxes out at $50.

Try Walmart. That's not even the wholesale price for a good pair of shoes.

In the $150 range I like Chippewa, for a workboot-styled shoe. Some of them are ugly but they have a few decent styles. The oiled leather acquires a nice character over time.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

If a $20 pair lasts a year or two, a $200 pair better last 10-20, maybe more considering all the maintenance. Do they last this long? If not, I am not sure its worth it right now.

For less than 50 bucks the only work boots you can get are probably the walmart brand. If price is the ultimate issue in this, maybe you could get a cheap pair first and then save up for later.

For work boots: try buying US military combat boots. Try eBay. Lots of guys sell off extra pairs of new boots they were issued.

There are some boots I prefer but can't remember the specific ones. But combat boots in desert tan are pretty tough and depending on the model, very comfortable.

Cheap low quality shoes is one of the worst investments you can do.
You are walking around all the time so why the hell you would not consider to invest in something comfortable that lasts for a while.

I can't understand people who are greedy and saving up on this.
Don't look on price tags,get something your feets like.

There is nothing worse than a uncomfortable shoe.

I'm going real leather all the way baby.

My cheap Walmart workboots have held up better than the $125 Caterpillars.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Johnston Murphy has a series of black oxfords that are surprisingly comfortable and can not only be re-soled, but sent back to the factory for a rebuild, inside and out.

For some reason women tend to notice these too. I guess a good quality basic leather oxford without a rubber sole stands out in a sea of frat boy sketchers and such. It might seem silly to spend this kind of coin on shoes, but they last well into your adult work life and go with just about any suit. Five or six pairs of cheap lookalikes over time will only be a lot less comfortable and worse looking. You get what you pay for, really.

Quote: (10-19-2014 01:01 PM)zaqan Wrote:  

If a $20 pair lasts a year or two, a $200 pair better last 10-20, maybe more considering all the maintenance. Do they last this long? If not, I am not sure its worth it right now.

a 20$ pair will probably fuck up your spine in the process. Im pretty sure 180$ extra are worth it, just because of that.

Quote: (10-20-2014 04:13 PM)Wreckingball Wrote:  

Quote: (10-19-2014 01:01 PM)zaqan Wrote:  

a 20$ pair will probably fuck up your spine in the process. Im pretty sure 180$ extra are worth it, just because of that.
I go barefoot in the house and around the yard, so that may not be a huge issue. Shoes in general probably hurt you no matter what.

Great advice all around tho. I had to go with cheap crap and bought two pairs to alternate and see which lasts longer. Ill start considering to save up for something better. I did think of looking into army boots, or seeing what Rothco has. They make a lot of good stuff.

Double second anyone who said eBay. I've acquired John Varvatos boots, Allen Edmonds, and ferragamo boots/shoes for between $20 and $50 online. You have to be patient and do your legwork through searching all the brands and spelling differences that people might misspell their auctions under. I've saved conservatively $1000-$2000 on high end shoes by bidding smartly and snatching good deals at Nordstrom Rack where you can find wolverine boots occasionally for $100 (I don't work a job where I need them so I've never picked them up. Buying high end shoes brand new is about a dumb a decision as buying a brand spanking new car.

There are more people out there with more money than brains and will sell shoes for just about anything with limited mileage on them. If you're really looking for longevity on a fashion boot/shoe look for Alden, Allen Edmonds, or any other British/Italian brand that advertises Goodyear welting as that particular feature allows you to resole the leather sole when it gets worn dorn for 1/3 of the cost of a brand new pair

For workwear Red Wings were the best I used, but I still trashed a pair every 6 months.

For dress wear/office jockey wear, Cole Haans last forever. I have 4 pair I bought back in 2009 that I still wear almost every day now and still look fantastic.

Quote: (10-19-2014 09:37 AM)RexImperator Wrote:  

In the $150 range I like Chippewa, for a workboot-styled shoe. Some of them are ugly but they have a few decent styles. The oiled leather acquires a nice character over time.

I second the Chippewas. I got these for $130 a few weeks ago with the Amazon 20% off boots. Not as clean as my Wolverine's but they are really comfortable (Vibram soles) and can be worn with jeans on a night out.

Donald J. Pliner.
Got these about 4 years ago.
http://philipnyren.com/donald-j-pliner-rex-shoes/
Wore the heck out of them - all kinds of weather.
Still look great. Leather hardly has any creases despite never using a shoe horn.

I have to throw shoes away every year or so because the heel wears off. I usually buy cheaper shoes, but not too cheap. Currently have Rockport for a little over $100 which I like. Would buying more expensive shoes solve this problem? I mean, the heal wears off because of the way I walk and how much I walk. Do expensive shoes have different kind of soles resistant to wear?