rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Meeting Recruiter

Meeting Recruiter

I have a quick question, would be very thankful for your thoughts:

I want to work for company XYZ and started networking to meet people who work there. It actually worked very well - I managed to get a meeting with the Vice President of an internal department, and the meeting went very well. I expressed my interested to work with the company, and he said he will see what he can do. They don't have any open positions now, but they might in the future. He told me to send him my resume, and he will pass it on to HR - which I did.

Now I just saw that there happens to be a career event in the next days where a recruiter from exactly that company XYZ will revue resumes and advise people on how to improve their resumes. The event has nothing to do with company XYZ, though - it's an independently organised event. They just invite guest recruiters from various companies to the event. I booked a ticket to the event, but now I'm having second thoughts. I am actually not really sure if it is advantageous to meet that recruiter from company XYZ in person.

As I said, she already received my resume some time ago from my contact at the company. Not sure if she remembers my name though. But if I get an interview at a later time, she will definitely recognise my face if I go to the career event and speak with her about my resume. Do you think this is a good or a bad thing? Also, if I go to the career event, should I tell her that my contact already sent my resume to Human Resources? Or shouldn't I go to the career event at all?

Would be glad to hear your thoughts.

Meeting Recruiter

Quote: (10-07-2014 11:36 AM)Ice Wrote:  

(snip)

I'd go and don't mention the previous contact. Make sure your resume is perfect and tailored to them before you go. If the vibe is good when she is reviewing yours, say something like "Thanks and, hey since you're from XYZ - Are you guys hiring because I've had you in mind ever since I read about the Interesting Blah Blah Project in the news. I happened to talk to Bob from XYX about it X weeks ago." Then write down whatever she says like she's the wisest person you've ever met. Smile, thanks, goodbye.

You don't know for a fact she actually got your resume.

Meeting Recruiter

Quote: (10-07-2014 12:03 PM)Engineer Wrote:  

Quote: (10-07-2014 11:36 AM)Ice Wrote:  

(snip)

I'd go and don't mention the previous contact. Make sure your resume is perfect and tailored to them before you go. If the vibe is good when she is reviewing yours, say something like "Thanks and, hey since you're from XYZ - Are you guys hiring because I've had you in mind ever since I read about the Interesting Blah Blah Project in the news. I happened to talk to Bob from XYX about it X weeks ago." Then write down whatever she says like she's the wisest person you've ever met. Smile, thanks, goodbye.

You don't know for a fact she actually got your resume.

Hey thanks for the info.

Yeah it's true, I don't know for a fact that she got my resume. It's also possible that there are several recruiters at the company and someone else go my resume.

I will probably go to the event and do it how you described.