rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone started their own Business?

I'm tired of spending 60-70 hours of my "youth" making these idiots rich.

I want out.

Anyone gotten out of "the matrix" (and into a new matrix,lol)

You're preaching to the choir when it comes to me. I'm still researching the idea of starting up your own business, and if I find anything decent I'll holla.

Read The Four Hour Workweek. Very inspirational.

I quit my job at a big tech company and now I run my own software company that I am still trying to get off the ground. Still just me, and I work from home. And yeah, I should be working rather than posting on this message board. [Image: smile.gif]

Do you have a knowledge or skill in something that with a step or two you can monetize?

Find out what people want and give it to them. Start with what you know and work from there.

i started at my own about two years ago, I still work my 9-5 (at a very very big organization) just for extra money, my boypartner quit his job about 8 months ago, he handles the day to day business. We didn't start making real money to the beginning of this summer, I expect to quit my main job by October.

I'm currently starting an internet based business. I'm only pulling in $500 or so a month right now, but I'm reinvesting all that to help grow that number. The idea is that once its running, I'll be able to work from anywhere in the world! Coolness.

I started an online "gift store" 3 years ago, an online resume writing business 2 years ago, and do a a few more things. I'm still in school but its pays for most living expenses and months of vacation each year. My goal is also to be making enough $$$ in 2 years when I graduate that I can afford a nice lifestyle in a cheap South American country.

The Four Hour Workweek is definitely a great book to read. If you want to maximize how much work you get done for your business in time you have, Getting Things Done by David Allen is also a great read.

Although I'm still in college, running my own business is where I see my future headed. Would love to hear any tips from those who have made it on their own already.

Quote: (09-15-2008 10:54 PM)jmb Wrote:  

I can afford a nice lifestyle in a cheap South American country.

Here here!

I didn't start my own business but I decided to give something a try. It's one of those take survey sites and what not. I've tried a couple in the past but they were a real pain since it was hard getting accepted to the top dollar surveys or getting enough to actually make any money at it.

I tried this thing called Treasure Trooper and first let me say it's not a "get rich quick" kind of thing at all. It requires some time to learn, to get used to, and to figure out how to do certain things to make money from it. When I first started I was having moral issues with the whole thing, but then later learned that so long as my responses and intent was honest from the get go that everyone is basically getting what they want.

The first month I made $120 and they did pay which was nice. There are some other perks involved but it requires a lot of time to learn and then to decide if it's something for you. By the time I learned the ins and outs I spent about 2 hours a night at about 40 hours a month to amass $120. That comes out to be $3/hr but I thought to myself well heck... I usually have 2 hours at home where I'm doing absolutely nothing so I can spend that time trying to make some spare cash or just sit around and do nothing at all. So I chose the former and I'm quite pleased with it. I probably can do the same this upcoming month in less time as I'm starting to really learn how all of this works.

Anyhow, I'm passing this along to the community. I've tried it out myself first and I think it may be worth the time to at least look into. Just click on the link in my sig to get started.

And, Roosh, if you got a problem with me posting this sig let me know and I'll remove it. Thanks.

Perfect time to buy income-producing real estate. If you havent read already, look into "Rich Dad, Poor Dad." It's written for beginners but it will make you start thinking about passive income. There's no doubt in my mind real estate is the way to go to making lots of money in your sleep.

While it's tricky to get investment property loans in this market, it's still very much possible especially if you have a relationship with a local bank or you are a solid credit-worthy borrower.

There are plenty of places now where you can buy a property for $50k and rent it out for $1000/m. In this scenario, your net cashflow is over $500/m which is $6000/yr passive.

There are some amazing deals out there, especially REO's and short sales. These are all listed on MLS.

The beauty of real estate is that anyone can get started anywhere and with just simple common sense you'll be doing fine. You can gradually start buying more deals and more interesting deals as your comfort level goes up.

"There are plenty of places now where you can buy a property for $50k and rent it out for $1000/m. In this scenario, your net cashflow is over $500/m which is $6000/yr passive."

Where the hell is this?

Where I live 50k might buy you a doghouse.

- MPM
The Guide to Getting More out of Life
http://www.thegmanifesto.com

Given, if you live in Cali/Hawaii/NY/etc you'll have to look outside of where you live. No worries though, tons of people are absentee investors and they are fine as long as they have a reputable property management company handling things. Plan on 8-10% of gross rent towards property management.

Quote: (10-22-2009 06:40 PM)gringoed Wrote:  

Given, if you live in Cali/Hawaii/NY/etc you'll have to look outside of where you live. No worries though, tons of people are absentee investors and they are fine as long as they have a reputable property management company handling things. Plan on 8-10% of gross rent towards property management.

Where do you recommend?

I have though about doing it, but I literally never go to places where you could get positive cash flow.

" as long as they have a reputable property management company handling things"

That part is key.

- MPM
The Guide to Getting More out of Life
http://www.thegmanifesto.com

Quote: (10-22-2009 05:11 PM)gringoed Wrote:  

There's no doubt in my mind real estate is the way to go to making lots of money in your sleep.
Hey Gringoed,

I ask because I want to know not to sound like an ass.

Have you ever bought a short sale or reo? Did you feel like a weasel? And is that kind of stuff a side of the real estate business just flooded with weasels?

My family and I did real estate for almost 10 years. The bulk of the time I was far away. It was great. I loved all the female realtors willing to do what it takes to close a deal. The men I wanted to choke. We got rentals out the ying so one of my cousins started a management company. Things got shitty and we quit buying.

The are so many of these reo's and whatevers flying around Hawaii right now, and I know I could be making serious dollars. Tons of beachfront at low low prices. I want to get back at it but I don't know. I think that behind every dollar I'd make there would be some family in a shelter?

My father says its the scumbag thing to do. I've read a wise man's writings about being a "People's Champ." Would I just be kicking people that are down? Is it possible to do it in a non-weasel way?

Aloha!

Hey Kona,

I dont see it that way at all!

With a short sale, you're actually helping someone that would otherwise be in foreclosure, keeping that from happening. They get to walk away from a house they can't afford without the black mark on their credit or the shame of having a house forcibly repossessed.

REO's are already owned by the bank and somebody is going to buy them. Better me, who will rehab it and turn it into decent housing for a hard-working family, rather than somebody who will just hold onto it (these are speculators) leaving it vacant and bringing the whole neighborhood down.

When you do a nice rehab and your future tenants walk into your house and fall in love with it, and tell you about how this will be their first time not living in the ghetto, that their kids will finally have a nice block to live. You will not feel like a weasel guaranteed!

When you buy a vacant building that is bringing the whole block down, rehab it and bring in good tenants, you are helping everybody: the seller, the neighbors, you, your tenants.

It's not so passive when your renter stops paying and you have to evict him.

Quote: (10-23-2009 11:19 AM)gringoed Wrote:  

you are helping everybody: the seller, the neighbors, you, your tenants.

Hey that's a good way to sell the idea brah!

Regular guys gotta get into that kind of thing before the weasels do take it all over.

Aloha!

I am putting together plans to launch a consulting business on the side. The field that I work in well positioned for outside work opportunities. I am planning on keeping the "day job" while trying to see if I can secure a few gigs on the side. I work for an organization that is considered the 'gold standard' in my field so I would want to continue my connections there while attempting to build a client list.

I noticed that when I am busy (with work, studying etc) I tend to spend less money and feel a lot more alpha, being able to build something. If this Consulting deal pans out, I could be saving a good chunk of money, while making more money doing something that is pretty easy for me.

Not to hijack this thread but I am thinking: 1. Professional looking seo optimized website 2. Actively searching for openings. The best part is the relatively low start-up costs.

I did read the 4 hour work week and I see that happening in the future, right now I need the connections at work.

Quote: (11-15-2009 09:59 PM)BostonBMW Wrote:  

I am putting together plans to launch a consulting business on the side. The field that I work in well positioned for outside work opportunities. I am planning on keeping the "day job" while trying to see if I can secure a few gigs on the side. I work for an organization that is considered the 'gold standard' in my field so I would want to continue my connections there while attempting to build a client list.

I noticed that when I am busy (with work, studying etc) I tend to spend less money and feel a lot more alpha, being able to build something. If this Consulting deal pans out, I could be saving a good chunk of money, while making more money doing something that is pretty easy for me.

Not to hijack this thread but I am thinking: 1. Professional looking seo optimized website 2. Actively searching for openings. The best part is the relatively low start-up costs.

I did read the 4 hour work week and I see that happening in the future, right now I need the connections at work.

This will make you a fortune:

Figure out how to merge online dating and online universities.

Then bring in online gambling.

You can do it.

Aloha!

Mah BizNezzz

#1 In high school, I exported foreign candy and sold it to my buddies for 500% markup.

#2 When I was a freshman in the university (circa the end of the tech-bust), I started an ink-refilling business. I was working part-time for an office supply retailer and noticed how people are getting screwed for the inks. So I started, with my buddy who is now in the Army, an ink refilling business whose business plan I bought online from some guy. The business ran relatively well for two years in the mall (lol), until we got closed down by a bigger competitor.

#3 Also during college, I had a kettle corn rental stand and an organic cotton candy cart selling to the snooty professor's kids and other snobbish townies during the local green farmer's market.

I made decent money from these businesses, but mostly importantly, I learned a shit load. I also got to brag being featured in the local news as well as being a campus business star.

Now I work for a firm doing taxation. lol. Funny thing about someone with an entrepreneurial streak is that I have no qualms about working for someone else, it actually makes business sense to me for now. Maybe i'll do consulting down the line as I have a highly specialized niche, maybe.

I realize the older I get, the more risk-averse I become. So I suggest that if you're still young and have nothing to lose to go and take the risk!! At the same time, if you're older then you should really re-evaluate your cards and sometimes it is better to just hunker down and keep it tight.

There are plenty of places now where you can buy a property for $50k and rent it out for $1000/m.

Really?

Quote: (11-28-2010 02:24 AM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

There are plenty of places now where you can buy a property for $50k and rent it out for $1000/m.

Really?
I am curious about this as well. The only place I know you can buy property at those prices are waaaaay upstate New York by the Canadian border or in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania. Even in the heart of the hood in NY its hard to find single family houses for less than 250K that don't require a gut renovation.

Quote: (11-28-2010 02:24 AM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Really?

There are many places all over the US like this.