rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Derek Jeter Goes Out As The Ultimate Winner

The video speaks for itself. This is how it's done; this is when reality exceeds any kind of hype and any chatter. Props to DJ, a true player in every way.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

For those who haven't seen it, this is the beautiful Gatorade commercial made in tribute to Jeter and New York City:

Jeter IS like God in NYC. I wish I could trade places if just for a day.

Here is Jeter's last home at-bat narrated by the only voice it should be narrated by, John Sterling:

I'm a die hard Met fan and I have to admit that the Jeets walk off sent tingles down my spine. Not as many as the Mike Piazza 9/11 home run or the Robin Ventura "grand slam single", nor did I get choked up like I did after Johan threw the "no hitter". However, I can recognize greatness when I see it. Even if they play on the wrong side of town. Now if I only knew what I did with the 1993 Upper Deck SP rookie card of his that I had...

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

Quote: (09-27-2014 09:34 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

For those who haven't seen it, this is the beautiful Gatorade commercial made in tribute to Jeter and New York City:

The way he says "me either" about the phone to the older lady is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

He earned it. I never saw him give less than 100% effort.

I was at the Stadium last Saturday. Not an ass was in the seat whenever Derek Jeter came up to plate. It's going to be weird not having him on the team next year. That's an era that's spanned pretty much my entire conscious life so indeed it is marking the end of a period of life for me. I remember getting to go onto the field when I was 8 years old (a bit of a long story) and the employees and coaches at the old stadium were calling Derek Jeter "the new, young guy." This was in 1996.

Time really does march fast.

And of course, Captain's got a long and distinguished list of ladies. While George Clooney marries a 36 year old lawyer that's pretty much already hit the wall, Captain Clutch is currently banging this lovely lady:

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o456/...286062.jpg

[Image: agree.gif]

RE2PECT.

Read my Latest at Return of Kings: 11 Lessons in Leadership from Julius Caesar
My Blog | Twitter

My first job in life was selling ice cream in the Con Ed section of Yankee Stadium was I was 14. This Yankee team has disappointed me. I give Jeter props, but I always preferred guys like Bernie Williams. I actually think the Jeter thing was too much. That being said Jeter had a great career.

Yeah I do agree it was a bit too much. It really did seem like the team was pulling some wool over our eyes this year with Jeter and last year with Mo to cover up the fact that they're pretty much in decline and getting to the playoffs every year is no longer a certain thing.

Still, at the same time, Jeter has meant so much for this team and the city so I do understand the motivation.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year now that the circus which has essentially lasted for two years is over.

Read my Latest at Return of Kings: 11 Lessons in Leadership from Julius Caesar
My Blog | Twitter

Probably my favorite Yanquis ever, Mr. October

Have you forgotten the list of women in his life?

Mariah Carey, Jessica Biel, Minka Kelly are just a few.

Quote: (09-28-2014 07:27 AM)Libertas Wrote:  

Yeah I do agree it was a bit too much. It really did seem like the team was pulling some wool over our eyes this year with Jeter and last year with Mo to cover up the fact that they're pretty much in decline and getting to the playoffs every year is no longer a certain thing.

Still, at the same time, Jeter has meant so much for this team and the city so I do understand the motivation.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year now that the circus which has essentially lasted for two years is over.

Not to derail the thread, but you do realize that 80% of the opening day starting rotation went down with injury. The fact that they were still in the hunt at the beginning of September is an accomplishment in itself.

The circus isn't over. We still have the conclusion of the A-Roid saga to look forward to. He will be back. He's the only drawing card the Yanks have left.

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

Quote: (09-28-2014 07:27 AM)Libertas Wrote:  

Mariano Rivera was not in decline when he retired. Here are his stats by year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/player...html?redir

2013 was just an average year for his career. It does not stand out in any way; his ERA was better in 2013 than it was in 2000, 2001 or 2002. His WHIP was better than in 1997, 1998, 2000, or 2004. These are years from the prime of his career. He looked exactly the same when he retired at age 43 as he did in his prime. It's hard to believe but it's true. But then, he's Mariano Rivera.

Jeter's production did decline in later years, which is the case for more or less every player not named Mariano Rivera. But that was no secret to anyone, and no one was pretending otherwise.

I don't think that the last two years should be characterized as a "circus". These extended farewells were right and appropriate for two guys who were incredible in every way, and loved and respected by everyone without exception. They exceeded all hype.

EDIT: rereading your post, I think you were talking about the Yankees as a team being in decline rather than these guys. That is certainly true, and not that surprising. It is too much to expect the level they were at for so many years to go on forever uninterrupted.

Steve Sailer article on how good Derek Jeter really was.

The highlight (I recommend the whole article for a takedown of some statistics nerds and a discussion of his defense):

Quote:Quote:

Jeter played in a remarkable 158 post-season games (basically, a full regular season). 158 games is a giant sample size. He hit .308 with 20 homers, 111 runs scores, and 200 hits (second place all-time is Bernie Williams with 128 postseason hits). That’s pretty much the exact same statistics as during his regular seasons (.309 career average), with a little extra power.

That’s impressive. October baseball is more intense than the rest of the season, with much better pitchers. Thus, it’s not surprising that, say, Alex Rodriguez has only hit .263 in 75 postseason games. Similarly, Mickey Mantle hit .257 in 65 World Series games. Mantle was batting against Koufax, Spahn, Gibson, Marichal, and Drysdale, so .257 was pretty good considering.

I can recall when the late George Steinbrenner gave the young Jeter an immense long term contract after the 2000 season: $189 million over 10 years. The deal received some criticism from sabermetricians pointing to Jeter’s defense and only moderate home run power, but Steinbrenner’s view was summed up in an NYT reporter’s article:

Quote:Quote:

“Steinbrenner has always been reluctant to sign his younger players to long-term deals before they become eligible for free agency, but Jeter has been treated differently because he is different. Jeter has played little more than five full seasons with the team, and the Yankees have won four World Series championships; he already has more than 1,000 career hits. Jeter is viewed as an heir to the Yankees’ tradition of greatness that began with Babe Ruth and was passed down to the likes of Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle. He is already a clubhouse leader, and Yankees Manager Joe Torre once suggested that Jeter would eventually be the team’s captain for years to come.”years to come.”

Respect for the sportsman, even in Fenway Park.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Jeter is cool as fuck. I was a teenager in the mid-late 90s when the Yankees really got going and I remember watching every game. That 98 team especially was incredible. You had Paul O'Neill, Bernie Williams, Jeter, Tino Martinez etc.

Quote: (09-27-2014 09:34 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

Great commercial but when I first saw it I ws kind of surprised they hadjeter doing their commercial

Overjoyed for Derek

Even back at Kalamazoo Central, you just knew he would be a star. I was a senior when his freshman class came in, guys I know today talk about how down to earth he was and how he would be quick he participate in pickup bball games at school. He still has some of the guys come out to visit from time to time. Same ole Derek from what I hear.

The whole town is extremely proud that he lived up to his full potential, so when people talk about how he's a god in NYC, just imagine back home.

Same town to produce Greg Jennings (Vikings) and a whole lot of other talented cats that never got to that level.

Salute #2 the Captain, Kazoo stand up!!!

MDP