rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

First ever lifting session a few questions.

Just had my first ever lifting session [following stronglifts]. I did deadlifts, squats and the bench. The deadlift I think went relatively fine but there's a few things I need clarification on regarding squats and the bench.

For the bench I was pretty sure I was following proper form [Hips and upper back on bench making a lower back arch and elbows 45 degree to torsoas well as shoulders tightly squeezed together] yet I didn't feel anything on my chest and mainly felt it in my biceps and upper back.

In regards to squats I think my form was fine but I couldn't fully finish off my 5 sets [and this is with just the bar!!!]. I done one rep on the last set and my legs just gave in and my form was terrible on the last few reps in the 4th set so I didn't finish off my last set.

I just want to ask whether or not these things are normal for a noob? How fast can I expect my strength to go up considering that I'm on a cut [Was obese now overweight].

Don't expect major growth when you are not eating enough. Even if your diet is perfect, it takes months to see anything. Give it a day or two after the workout to feel sore, you can't miss it. If the empty bar is too heavy, do dumbbell/kettlebell squats with a lighter weight (I also recommend walking lunges). There is no shame in stopping if you can't move the weight with good form. Just go a little lighter and finish your reps. Keep it up, you're doing fine.

Quote: (09-22-2014 07:16 AM)Möbius band Wrote:  

Just had my first ever lifting session [following stronglifts]. I did deadlifts, squats and the bench. The deadlift I think went relatively fine but there's a few things I need clarification on regarding squats and the bench.

Deadlifts and the bench are in separate workouts in Stronglifts. Moreover, you do squats first in each workout.

Are you using the Stronglifts app to help with your workouts?

"I'm not worried about fucking terrorism, man. I was married for two fucking years. What are they going to do, scare me?"

Everyone starts somewhere, just work on keeping progress and observe your form. I did strong lifts for a while and found it to be helpful. Keep watching the videos to get the proper form burned into your mind so it becomes habit. Like one-two suggested, start light to finish the reps/sets and go heavier when you complete the sets. Keep track of your progress with either the apps available or on your own to keep you motivated to keep increasing the weights.