rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The case for eating Couscous

Couscous is made of small granules of semolina flour, and is traditional in North African cuisine. It is also available made from whole-wheat flour, which slightly increases the fiber and boosts nutritional value. Why you should be eating this ultra-healthy food:

1. A 1 cup serving (quite a large amount) of couscous provides only 176 calories (8-11% or your daily calorie intake), compared to pasta's 390 calories per cup or the 205 calories per cup in rice. Furthermore,1 cup of couscous adds 6g of protein to your day, or 12% of your recommended daily intake. Other grains typically provide a lower levels of this macro-nutrient, which is needed for muscle building after exercise, and sustaining energy. All types of couscous generally have less than 1g of fat per cup.

2. Couscous contains some vitamins, but crucially it contains the trace mineral selenium. Selenium is needed by the body needs in small quantities, acting as an antioxidant and protecting healthy cells from the mutating effects of toxins that change the DNA and structural composition, leading to disease and premature aging.

3. It will act as a base for you to experiment with a whole new cuisine (North African, usually Moroccan) which is delicious and incredibly healthy compared to our artificial Western foods.

4. I find Couscous to be filling if you eat enough of it, but it never makes you feel bloated like pasta sometimes does.

Overall, it is clear that couscous is very good for you. RVFers who are trying to gain muscle and lose fat should seriuosly consider eating this, with its relatively high protein amounts and its low fat. For those worried about carbs, a cup contains around 1/4 of your recommended carb intake, but if you're working out then this shouldn't affect you too much.

I'm sure it's good for and all, but try and say "I'm eating couscous" and sounding like a man.

I generally advise people to avoid grains and grain based products. It's too easy to overdose on the stuff, and people seem to be much healthier when on a grain free diet.

Any other forum members who regularly eat couscous?

Quote: (09-20-2014 09:42 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I generally advise people to avoid grains and grain based products. It's too easy to overdose on the stuff, and people seem to be much healthier when on a grain free diet.

Do they eat much garri and fufu in South Africa? That's what I tend to engage in but my regular repast is brown rice and yam (not what american call yam but African/West Indian yam).

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (09-20-2014 02:46 AM)britchard Wrote:  

Couscous is made of small granules of semolina flour, and is traditional in North African cuisine. It is also available made from whole-wheat flour, which slightly increases the fiber and boosts nutritional value. Why you should be eating this ultra-healthy food:

1. A 1 cup serving (quite a large amount) of couscous provides only 176 calories (8-11% or your daily calorie intake), compared to pasta's 390 calories per cup or the 205 calories per cup in rice. Furthermore,1 cup of couscous adds 6g of protein to your day, or 12% of your recommended daily intake. Other grains typically provide a lower levels of this macro-nutrient, which is needed for muscle building after exercise, and sustaining energy. All types of couscous generally have less than 1g of fat per cup.

2. Couscous contains some vitamins, but crucially it contains the trace mineral selenium. Selenium is needed by the body needs in small quantities, acting as an antioxidant and protecting healthy cells from the mutating effects of toxins that change the DNA and structural composition, leading to disease and premature aging.

3. It will act as a base for you to experiment with a whole new cuisine (North African, usually Moroccan) which is delicious and incredibly healthy compared to our artificial Western foods.

4. I find Couscous to be filling if you eat enough of it, but it never makes you feel bloated like pasta sometimes does.

Overall, it is clear that couscous is very good for you. RVFers who are trying to gain muscle and lose fat should seriuosly consider eating this, with its relatively high protein amounts and its low fat. For those worried about carbs, a cup contains around 1/4 of your recommended carb intake, but if you're working out then this shouldn't affect you too much.

According to this post:

Whole Wheat = Good
High in Fat = Bad
Calorically Dense = Bad
Men should eat 1760 calories, less than 60 g of protein a day

The only redeeming quality of couscous is that it contains Selenium.
Not a lot of bang for your buck considering things like oyster and nuts which provide much more selenium among other things.

Doctor, some of the toughest guys I've ever met would have say something to say about that. They're Moroccan, and in July (Moroccan summer) last year they were working as mountain guides DURING Ramadan. Basically they ate a shitload of couscous just before the sun rose, were out on the mountains all day with no food or water and then had to wait till the sun went down.

Do they know how to take a joke?

But seriously, say "I'm eating couscous" and "I'm eating grits". Which one sounds manlier?

You don't have to sell me on couscous. I'm sold. I munch on it with relish.

All right. Now that that's out of the way, how about you share with us some recipies?

Let's get some mileage out of this thread.

Do you know some succulent tagines, perhaps? In the Arab world, Moroccan food is second only to Lebanese/Syrian.

Tell us some stories of slow-cooked tagines in open fires, of meals eaten under the open sky in the company of the fellah, or something else good...

I prefer couscous with a good tagine laced with almonds and apricots, or with a meat dish of grilled goat or sheep.

Mumtaz!!!!!

Quote: (09-20-2014 09:53 AM)Moma Wrote:  

Quote: (09-20-2014 09:42 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Do they eat much garri and fufu in South Africa? That's what I tend to engage in but my regular repast is brown rice and yam (not what american call yam but African/West Indian yam).

No, the most common staple in South Africa is pap, which in my opinion is toxic. It's a major driver of obesity and constipation in South Africa and trying to get people off the junk is difficult (especially since it is so cheap).

Quote: (09-20-2014 05:17 PM)Doctor Wrote:  

But seriously, say "I'm eating couscous" and "I'm eating grits". Which one sounds manlier?
Who cares?

Im Latin American and we also eat couscous back in my home, we call it marmaón. If you add sliced pieces of chicken meat along with some other condiments it is fucking delcious and I can eat piles of it. I have never cooked it so I don't know what else you add to it.