rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting into a Trade in Australia at 25

G'day everyone

My work for the past 4 and a half years has been in the Army as an infantryman, last year I was promoted and received a Cert 3 in leadership and Training. I'd decided at the start of this year that I didn't want to go any further with my career and wanted to get into a trade, but not with the army because I wanted my freedom back. (Start of the year was when I discovered the red pill as well)

I've moved to Brisbane recently and have applied for an apprenticeship as an electrician through a few companies, however it seems they all won't be starting until January next year. I have considered going into carpentry or cabinet making as well but one thing I've noticed is the job ads always say juniour wages apply.

I know our Gov't provides incentives to companies to hire adult workers looking to re-skill, but I thought I'd ask around and see if there's anyone who's taken the same route I have in getting a trade at a later age and if you'd have any pointers in getting your foot in the door despite your age

cheers

Cant give you any specific advice but I can give you encouragement. I would think you provide great value as an older apprentice. Being a bit older than the average apprentice may give you an advantage to develop quicker.

Less nights out drinking and not pissing away what you do get or the ego to want the new ute and concentrate on getting your tools, etc.
(Actually I think there is a government loan or incentive to help you buy your tools available.)

Also, being in the army you are used to taking directions, being on the bottom rung so to speak so should be able to navigate your way around the work environment and the hierarchies a bit smoother.

I have several mates who are experienced tradesmen and they have a lot of troubles with their apprentices. All they want is someone with the good work ethic and a desire to learn but they are hard to come by apparently.

I have heard of scenarios where apprentices work Saturdays or Sundays, once they've proven themselves, for more appropriate wage levels to help bump up their wages.

Also, if you prove yourself, I have heard of Employers and apprentices negotiating to average out wages over the 4 years so instead of going up in increments per year, you have the one regular income to help with budgeting and extra responsibilities you may have being a bit older.

Quote: (09-10-2014 05:52 AM)jumbo tron Wrote:  

Cant give you any specific advice but I can give you encouragement. I would think you provide great value as an older apprentice. Being a bit older than the average apprentice may give you an advantage to develop quicker.

Less nights out drinking and not pissing away what you do get or the ego to want the new ute and concentrate on getting your tools, etc.
(Actually I think there is a government loan or incentive to help you buy your tools available.)

Also, being in the army you are used to taking directions, being on the bottom rung so to speak so should be able to navigate your way around the work environment and the hierarchies a bit smoother.

I have several mates who are experienced tradesmen and they have a lot of troubles with their apprentices. All they want is someone with the good work ethic and a desire to learn but they are hard to come by apparently.

I have heard of scenarios where apprentices work Saturdays or Sundays, once they've proven themselves, for more appropriate wage levels to help bump up their wages.

Also, if you prove yourself, I have heard of Employers and apprentices negotiating to average out wages over the 4 years so instead of going up in increments per year, you have the one regular income to help with budgeting and extra responsibilities you may have being a bit older.

yeah the days of getting smashed before work the next day are over, Army life had a unique way of punishing you for making that mistake. Most of the apprenticeship programs I've applied for don't start until next year unfortunately so I'm trying to break into Labouring at the moment, just waiting for responses to my emails.

I think with the incentive it may just be the employer not being bothered to go through the paper work to get the subsidies with the government is what I'm worried about the most.

I think you're on the right track. Get your White Card and apply for as many temp jobs prior to that.

At your age and having come out of Defence, apprentice pay mightn't be anything to write home about but hopefully you'll be a bit smart with it, expecially having seen some of the things people in the Army blow their pay on. [Image: smile.gif]

I take it you'd be suffering a drop in seniority which will come as a bit of a shock to the system, but like any entry-level process you'll pick things up like that.

You're right that they'll expect more out of you, but you'll probably have your shit together anyway and set an example.

It's a no bullshit environment, but there's no shortage of fuckwits around at all levels of the food chain.

The best advice I can give is having been in the Army, ask around and find out if there's anyone you know that could set you up with someone happy to take you on as an apprentice. You might've served under a WO that might know someone useful in civvy life.

The government provides financial assistance of about $500 a month for apprentices 25 years and over.

http://www.australianapprenticeships.gov...ustralians

I've got about 5 months left on an apprenticehsip I started in my 30's - employers are happy to have someone with more maturity, but it is hard to find yourself on the bottom rung again. Nobody has tried to make a punk out of me, but you do need to moderate yourself. Where before I might have told someone to get fucked, as an apprentice I have to just let it slide.

I don't actually find it too hard to survive on my wages, despite having a mortagge to pay and a couple of kids too feed, but this job does allow me to travel a lot, and pocket the ~$200 a day (tax free) travel allowance. If you don't work away, you might find it hard.

Quote: (09-11-2014 06:46 PM)Vroom Wrote:  

The government provides financial assistance of about $500 a month for apprentices 25 years and over.

http://www.australianapprenticeships.gov...ustralians

I've got about 5 months left on an apprenticehsip I started in my 30's - employers are happy to have someone with more maturity, but it is hard to find yourself on the bottom rung again. Nobody has tried to make a punk out of me, but you do need to moderate yourself. Where before I might have told someone to get fucked, as an apprentice I have to just let it slide.

I don't actually find it too hard to survive on my wages, despite having a mortagge to pay and a couple of kids too feed, but this job does allow me to travel a lot, and pocket the ~$200 a day (tax free) travel allowance. If you don't work away, you might find it hard.

Oh ok that is pretty helpful, so when you started the government, you had to apply for the payments at an Apprenticeship centre? I'm not to worried over living off $500 a week, I own my own car and rent at the place im in at the moment is only $70. It would just mean my excursions into the city on a weekend would be cut down to maybe one night a fortnight