rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

International Internet Problems--Tips, Tricks, Fixes

OK I started this because

1) I spent at least 10 hours my first week in Philippines trying to get good phone internet working. Can offer ideas.

2) Also, I have tried to get Tinder going with no success. Need help.

I'm sure others can add and surpass my level of experience but I think a thread on this is useful.

=================================
1) LTE internet for your modern cellphone is definitely happening in big cities in Phils, I am in Cebu and did a speedtest today with vendor SMART cell service LTE and got 40 Mbs download, quite good.

The Marco Polo offers --as an upgrade from their reliable but weak WiFi --4 Mbs for about $5 per day which tested out at an actual 3.9x Mbs.

There's a catch, vendor GLOBE had a rep for better internet but I bought their service and although they call it "unlimited" in fact it is strictly limited or was with me. After using 1GB download in a day they throttled me to 2G speed, and sent me a sweet sounding text.

I changed my number to a SMART number and I've been using it a couple days, and I tried to get SMART store employees to admit there really is a hidden "cap" on use but they maintained they don't have one.

TL;DR:
SMART LTE is better than GLOBE, who claim "unlimited" then throttle you.

2) Tinder trying to force use of USA number for verification-- why?

I'm using an iphone bought in USA, with a SIM so I can now use it in Philippines.

I also started the Facebook profile which I am using in the USA.

Tinder is forcing a +1 prefix for my verification phone number (USA), which is impossible for me since I am in
Philippines with a +63 phones number.

Ideas? Is this intentional maybe?

Quote: (09-07-2014 02:59 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

TL;DR:
SMART LTE is better than GLOBE, who claim "unlimited" then throttle you.

Did you happen to test GLOBE's speed?

Because it was not even in the vicinity of 40mbps here in Davao. I never actually tested it but I don't think it was even 10mbps for the 4G LTE. I'm guessing it's just a regional thing, because I would shit my pants if I find out SMART was offering 40mbs download speeds this entire time. I'll have to try it.

And the 1GB cap is definitely a huge crock of shit, especially since you can pay monthly (30GB) but there is no rollover between days.

Talking to cell phone employees is pretty much pointless. None of them know what the fuck they're talking about and are essentially worthless. This is probably a bit better in Cebu with more expats and better English though.

Quote:Quote:

2) Tinder trying to force use of USA number for verification-- why?

I use Tinder on a US bought tablet and haven't had this problem. Is the phone unlocked? If you go to one of those random electronic stores in the mall (they're always on the floor here) they can completely unlock your phone for like $10.

Here's what I found to get reliable internet connection in Manila (Legaspi Village, Makati) ..

A fiber connection is probably best, but requires a 12 mth minimum contract and the cheapest package is about PHP3500/mth, so not practical.

A common system uses a "little box" that sits by the window and seems to receive the signal from cell towers, but it does not use a sim card. You can elect to pay for 2Mbps or 6Mbps speed, which is quite expensive and in my experience not that great and drops out completely a lot. Is basically shit.

Use a "pocket wifi" device or your cell phone or tablet set up as a wifi hotspot.
This is not a bad solution as you probably have your prepay sim set up for data anyway. Unlimited for PHP1000/mth.
However, it can still be slow at times and drop out completely. Especially 9am to 1pm weekdays.

Then I looked into 4gLTE. It offers a good solution provided it works in your exact location.
Getting it set up can be a minefield.
You are going to use Smart or Globe, as Sun does not have 4g (Sun is owned by Smart anyway)

You will need an LTE sim card, which is different to the common 3g sims. The common sims cost PHP40-50. The Smart LTE sim costs PHP40-150. The Globe LTE sim costs PHP295. (and were unavailable in June)

You will need an LTE capable phone, iPad, tablet, or pocket wifi device. Note that there are cheaper pocket wifi devices, but they are not LTE capable.
Further potential traps:
For Smart, your device needs to work on 2100 frequency. (despite them falsely claiming to also offer 1800)
For Globe, your device needs to work on 1800 frequency.

iPhone 5 onwards are good, and later model iPads work fine, but iPads will not operate as a wifi hotspot on Globe. Globe say they are "working on it".
Also note that if you buy the pocket wifi device from Smart or Globe it will be locked to their network. Unlocked ones are available from around PHP5500.

If you do not have ALL the criteria right, you will still get internet but at the sub par non LTE standard.
There is the potential for either provider to throttle the supposed unlimited Mb's at some daily limit.

My plan was to have both providers on LTE at a total of PHP2000/mth including use when out and about.
Both providers boast up to 42 Mbps speeds, but independent audits suggest that the average for LTE in Philippines is about 4 [Image: dodgy.gif]
This is actually still good. The key thing is that it seems to be continuous and doesn't drop out all the time.
My less scientific test is to run Youtube videos and watch the "buffer band" that shows how fast it's loading. The LTE passes that test.

The short answer is to use an iPhone 5 or later with a Globe and/or Smart LTE sim. You will then have internet on the phone and via wifi hotspot for your laptop, etc.
Other phones should work IF they are LTE capable at 1800 and 2100.

This advice should apply anywhere in Phil, SUBJECT TO testing the LTE signal in your exact location.

Good luck [Image: smile.gif]

^I'm not sure I understand you.

What is the advantage of using your phone as a hotspot over the pocket wifi? The fact that you can use two different SIMs and get a more continuous signal?

Also, what is the advantage of an unlocked pocket wifi?

Globe definitely throttles your speed drastically past 1GB per day, by the way.

Hi Enigma

"What is the advantage of using your phone as a hotspot over the pocket wifi?"

The advantage is not needing to buy an extra device if you already have a suitable phone, and one less thing to carry to maintain the data connection when out and about.

"The fact that you can use two different SIMs and get a more continuous signal?"

This would only potentially work from one phone if it is dual sim. I'm not sure if there are any dual sim LTE capable phones with 1800 and 2100 frequency?

"Also, what is the advantage of an unlocked pocket wifi? "

That you have the option to use either network, and use it in other countries.

"Globe definitely throttles your speed drastically past 1GB per day, by the way."

I believe you. It seemed to happen to me on Smart one day too.

PS Will be back in Manila in October

Don't know how many of you are hotel travellers but you know you get some hotels where you have to pay an extra fee for additional devices.

Plug one of these in and you get one connection and can add as many devices as you want.

Also if you've got an ethernet wire you can plug it in and get a great wireless connection.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/netgear-t...00-etherne

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos