rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Conversation with guys

Conversation with guys

Wherever i go i hear them talk about sports and some even do it just to open conversations and fights with others. They are addicted to sports. I on the other hand I'm not interested in watching any kind of sport on TV because its fucking boring for me.

Conversation with guys

Which country is that?

I only give a damn about sports if my hometown baseball or US football team makes the playoffs. If I get stuck with one of those sports guys, and man do they usually suck, I tend to focus on the more cultural aspects of sports since I am going to look like a fool if I talk stats or current strategy. For example, some athlete is always in trouble with the law in the US, or having an affair with some actress, or doing some other douchey thing. You can mock some opposing team's fans (very easy in the frontrunner-heavy US) or bring up an era of the sport's history when you were actually still a fan (hello, early nineties basketball!).

Do you like music? Switch the conversation to that, sports fans usually like rock and roll or whatever "musica popular" exists where you are.

Conversation with guys

Football is part of being a man (although that does not include the American degeneration of the sport).

And it is increasingly becoming a sport for women as well. Some of them even know stuff. But it should definitely never be the only thing someone talks about.

Conversation with guys

Quote: (03-24-2011 11:55 AM)Ajiaco Wrote:  

Which country is that?

I only give a damn about sports if my hometown baseball or US football team makes the playoffs. If I get stuck with one of those sports guys, and man do they usually suck, I tend to focus on the more cultural aspects of sports since I am going to look like a fool if I talk stats or current strategy. For example, some athlete is always in trouble with the law in the US, or having an affair with some actress, or doing some other douchey thing. You can mock some opposing team's fans (very easy in the frontrunner-heavy US) or bring up an era of the sport's history when you were actually still a fan (hello, early nineties basketball!).

Do you like music? Switch the conversation to that, sports fans usually like rock and roll or whatever "musica popular" exists where you are.

Never thought of music subject. Sounds like good idea. I tried to talk about cultural aspects if sports with a friend once but i did that without noticing.
Thanks for info

Conversation with guys

The weather?

Hahaha Seriously though, I agree with the Dos Equis man that I refuse to talk about the weather even if my town was in the middle of a hurricane.

I met this business guy back in University that gave me a few pointers on how to keep a conversation rolling with someone even if you don't know anything them or what they are talking about. Just keep picking up on key words in their responses and asking questions about it. That way even a lame ass subject has the potential to turn into something great. Here's an example from this guy at the gym I was talking to after my workout. I asked how he was doing then he asked how my workout went. Then we started talking about working out legs and I was bitching about how no one gives a shit about them but you gotta do it because nothing is worse than those disproportionate guys that look like gorillas. Then he laughed and said he would have been like that if he didn't buy these shoes. They were those weird barefoot workout ones that kinda look like crocs on steroids. I'm sure you've seen them. His shoes were the key word in that response. So I just asked about them. He started talking about that more, then he said he used to think they were really gay cause all the guys at work used to have them or something. Work is the key phrase here. So I asked what he did and we started talking about that a little more. So in less than 5min I went from just saying "Hey how are you doing?" to knowing this guys whole backstory. Knowing how to keep a conversation rolling is a huge advantage in life. It's basically the same way you should be picking up women except don't do kino and don't throw sexual innuendos at them. Hahaha

Conversation with guys

There are all different types of guys out there. I can break down and analyze the play in most team sports like American football, baseball and hockey, and I like playing them because I did as a youth, and I also like attending live events, but I find following a team to be repetitive year after year, for the most part. Therefore, you won't get much team sports chatter out of me.

However, I can get into individual sports like wrestling, MMA and boxing. To me, those are the ones worth talking about. Its also exciting that the same guy only fights/competes once every so often.

I'm not sure what Gavin means by the American degeneration of football. American football is a completely different sport from the sport that the rest of the word refers to as football. No one else plays our football, and I'm pretty sure that our 'soccer' players play by the same rules as the rest of the world. At least insofar as it our soccer playing couldn't be called a degeneration of 'football'. Maybe you want to clarify, Gavin. Or perhaps its completely baseless and mindless USA bashing.

Conversation with guys

I honestly couldn't give a shit about American football outside of big games and two of my favorite teams, even then I don't really care. Pretend like you know what you're talking about without getting too technical and people will take over the conversation. Learn enough about the games that are popular in whatever country you're in to speak up every now and then without embarrassing yourself and you'll fit right in. I've been doing this for YEARS in the states.

This is the easy (and most practical) solution. The other way is to actually get interested hardcore and study whatever sport it is that these guys are interested in. To me, this is a cop out and unless you genuinely enjoy it, is a waste of time and still fake.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Conversation with guys

:-D Yeah, always happy to bash the US. I still don't get why your football is called football anyway. It doesn't make sense. But let's not get sidetracked.

Seriously why not talk about sports with guys, it's an easy way to connect and you can quickly go on to other topics through that. At these business meetings I always run into people from all kinds of places. The World Cup was always a good topic last year when you don't really know the guys. You don't even have to know much or be an expert. Generally, do like Khaleth said. His advice is quite universal to small talk in general and very sound.

Conversation with guys

Quote: (03-24-2011 02:54 PM)Gavin1234 Wrote:  

:-D Yeah, always happy to bash the US. I still don't get why your football is called football anyway. It doesn't make sense. But let's not get sidetracked.

Hey, no problem. If you want to let it stand that you proved yourself a useless jackass by comparing two sports that couldn't be more different, and saying that one was a denigration of the other, then by all means...

And I understand why you would openly pontificate as to why they are named the same... It doesn't make sense! I'm with you buddy. I'd say that's about right for what likely dominates your thoughts. I'm sure you stare at airplanes for hours wondering how they can stay in the air, maybe get startled when loud noises come from the television, and perhaps are amazed that the food goes in the microwave cold and comes out hot. All unsolvable mysteries of the world, and almost as worthwhile to think about as why we named our sport football. Keep thinking bud, I can almost hear the gears a turnin'...

Conversation with guys

Quote: (03-24-2011 11:22 AM)Andreas Wrote:  

how could i make a conversation with guys who know only football stuff?

How could you make a conversation with a retard who only wants to talk to you about stuff like baseball (the most retarded sport ever besides curling) or World of Warcraft? Easy. You do not.

Conversation with guys

Quote: (03-24-2011 04:00 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

How could you make a conversation with a retard who only wants to talk to you about stuff like baseball (the most retarded sport ever besides curling) or World of Warcraft? Easy. You do not.

"Easy, you do not" Perfect answer !

Conversation with guys

the football im talking about is guys running in a field and use their legs only to kick each other, not the American football that players beat each other with both, hands and legs. No offense to these sports but all those people around me, made me hate it. Anyways i'm gonna try those things and see how it goes.

@ oldnemesis: i didnt mention WoW simply because i forgot about it [Image: tongue.gif]

Conversation with guys

Quote:Quote:

American football

I call it hand-egg.

[Image: Handegg_thumb4.jpg]

Conversation with guys

I myself am trying to adjust to talking to guys who are not into sports. I watch BOTH college and NFL. Now basketball and baseball is more of just the playoffs. I am also a huge boxing fan. For a LONG time, I could not understand how there were guys who did not even pay attention to ONE sport...but I am finding more of them now (no homo).

Conversation with guys

With guys, sports is a topic that is safe and easy to fall back onto. It's like how girls talk about clothes or how they are fat or reality tv. There's no substance or vulnerability. It's all about how comfortable people feel around each other. I'm into sports, and so are many guys I know, but with my friends who I share a deeper connection with, sports is just another topic.

You may talk about other things with women because you have an incentive to form a deeper connection (fucking them). So maybe that is why you tend to have more meaningful conversations with them.

Conversation with guys

Talk about girls.

Conversation with guys

Quote: (03-24-2011 11:59 PM)UrbanNerd Wrote:  

For a LONG time, I could not understand how there were guys who did not even pay attention to ONE sport...

Some of us prefer to act instead of "paying attention".
To me watching sports is basically the same as reading books about weight training; I prefer going to gym.

Conversation with guys

Quote: (03-24-2011 10:21 PM)Andreas Wrote:  

the football im talking about is guys running in a field and use their legs only to kick each other

Are you sure you're talking about football? Sounds more like kung-fu to me.

Quote:Quote:

@ oldnemesis: i didnt mention WoW simply because i forgot about it [Image: tongue.gif]

Or some Oprah show a girl wanted to talk to me recently. Well, at least she had the opportunity to explain me who Oprah is, as while I heard the name, I had no idea it is the actual person. Apparently she's a middle-aged black chick, nothing really to talk about.

Conversation with guys

Quote: (03-24-2011 04:00 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Both are 'past times' and not real sports. Curling is a cultural thing. We'd go to the curling rink on Sunday nights and hangout. What bowling is to Americans is what curling is to Canadians.

Conversation with guys

Quote: (03-25-2011 03:41 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Quote: (03-24-2011 11:59 PM)UrbanNerd Wrote:  

For a LONG time, I could not understand how there were guys who did not even pay attention to ONE sport...

Some of us prefer to act instead of "paying attention".
To me watching sports is basically the same as reading books about weight training; I prefer going to gym.

Going to the gym is no sport. It's training.

I like putting my body to use. Looking good and being fit is great, but I love physical competition. But then again, I grew up a sportsman.

Conversation with guys

Guys in my country, wherever i go i hear them talk about sports and specificly about football and some even do it just to open conversations and fights with others. They are addicted to football.i on the other hand im not interested in watching any kind of sport on TV because its fucking boring for me. i only go to the gym btw.
how could i make a conversation with guys who know only football stuff? with women, it's great,they dont talk about sports a lot.with guys i fail miserably to maintain a conversation...

Talk about cheerleaders or groupie gangbangs....Voilà, sports is fun for everyone!

Conversation with guys

Very interesting points made here. I will slowly practice it and if i see that i dont do well i will just say "Fuck it" and start talking to ladies.

Conversation with guys

Who the hell cares about sports. 95% of the women I know who get excited by sports are very masculine and fairly repulsive. As for the guys, they are boring and satisfied with their boring lives and girlfriends.

Conversation with guys

If you dont want to talk about sports or girls you can always talk about sex and the city or your your favourite brand of tampon

Conversation with guys

Quote: (03-25-2011 05:26 PM)Luckystar Wrote:  

Both are 'past times' and not real sports. Curling is a cultural thing. We'd go to the curling rink on Sunday nights and hangout. What bowling is to Americans is what curling is to Canadians.

Are you saying curling is actually played???? Not just by loonies in the laughing house who invented it thinking it is hockey, but by normal (at least they think so) people???

The Apocalypse is definitely around the corner. This is worse than a fucking nuclear meltdown.