rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Physical requirements for police/army

I've been trying my best to increase my strength lately. I've been searching around for "benchmarks" like the police and army fitness tests as good goals to reach and surpass.

I can't seem to find any standard set of requirements online. Any retired military or police officers remember the goals on the physical tests?

The only thing I can find is this:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...217AAzPD7x

Edit: The overall goal is to be in above average strength compared to your standard army and police officer.

PFT is the standard for the USMC and the other agencies will have as well

These are what you should shoot for:

20 pullups
100 situps in 3 min
3 mile (18 min is good)

I believe how it works is that you are given a certain amount of points off the bat and when you fall short points are deducted accordingly. So a 20 minute 3 mile time would probably still be a passing mark but not perfect.

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas

To be honest I think the 3 mile run is a stupid test. When do you ever have to run for 3 miles straight in real life?

A shorter dash should be the focus for the military no? Or a long march. I think the whole focus on long runs is due the cost of other training methods, and some fake sense of "mental discipline"

Doesn't it seem weird that the average soldier cannot beat me in a 100m? I don't even train. Calistenics are good tho.

They let women do it so it cant be that hard [Image: lol.gif]

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

It all depends on the department if we're talking police. I know for a fact that LAPD and LASD have different requirements and academies.

I know for cardio the initial entry test for LASD uses a 1.5-mile run on a treadmill. I usually just crank up the treadmill to as high as it will go and see how long I can go without needing to stop.

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

Quote: (08-26-2014 02:18 PM)objectivist tree Wrote:  

Women don't even have to do pull ups, they do flexed arm hangs. I believe their 3 mile times can be longer as well.

Quote: (08-26-2014 05:28 PM)mmedeiros14 Wrote:  

Quote: (08-26-2014 02:18 PM)objectivist tree Wrote:  

Women don't even have to do pull ups, they do flexed arm hangs. I believe their 3 mile times can be longer as well.

Western women are never held to the same standard as men, whether that standard is physical, mental, or social it makes no difference.

But expect them to reap all the benefits just the same.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Guys, I'm not a chick so keep the standards higher for me [Image: tongue.gif]

We'll if you want high standards...

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/surviv...aining.htm

Or

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/surviv...e-born.htm

Army physical fitness test scoring:

http://www.wiu.edu/coehs/military_scienc...ndards.htm

Soldiers had to get a 60 out of 100 in each category to pass, total out of 300. They might have changed it since I got out. However, I wouldn't take them too seriously... there's a reason we have the saying "PT hero, field zero." Mid 200s was pretty standard in the infantry, and I was usually a 280-295 kind of guy. I never did max the pushups but I'd max sit ups and the 2 mile run easily enough. It only mattered for promotions; nobody whose opinion I cared about gave a shit whether you got a 180 or a 300 if you were a competent, reliable soldier.

There's little correlation between scoring well on a PT test and performance running around in full battle rattle; the PT test is pretty much a pure endurance test and the game changes when you put on 60-100 pounds of gear. Running an 11 minute 2-mile means exactly jack shit if you can't scale a wall in gear when you need to.

Anyway a generic military or police fitness test isn't really useful, even for police or military in my opinion. Why not use more practical standards that involve the stuff you want to be good at? When I was trying out for my battalion sniper squad, I did have to do a PT test but it was just a check-the-box sort of thing. The real tryouts involved memory tests, observation, ruck marching, field skills, land navigation... the shit that actually matters to a sniper, in other words.

So... what do you want to be able to do? That would be useful in determining what sorts of standards or performance goals you should aim for.

Delete

Quote: (08-26-2014 07:50 PM)weambulance Wrote:  

So... what do you want to be able to do? That would be useful in determining what sorts of standards or performance goals you should aim for.

Hee,

I'd like to be strong and big enough to have a cop think otherwise about trying to tackle me to the ground. Obviously, ignoring a gun and taser I just don't want to be pushed around by large "police" guys.

Quote: (08-27-2014 11:33 AM)frenchie Wrote:  

Hee,

I'd like to be strong and big enough to have a cop think otherwise about trying to tackle me to the ground. Obviously, ignoring a gun and taser I just don't want to be pushed around by large "police" guys.

You could always try smoking meth. Jokes aside, just get as big as you can. train hypertrophy

Quote: (08-27-2014 12:57 PM)CaptainChardonnay Wrote:  

Hee,

You could always try smoking meth. Jokes aside, just get as big as you can. train hypertrophy

Figured that much. I'm at 180 lbs at ~ 14-15% bodyfat (6ft tall). I still don't feel as big as most police officers though.

Quote: (08-27-2014 01:00 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

Hee,

Figured that much. I'm at 180 lbs at ~ 14-15% bodyfat (6ft tall). I still don't feel as big as most police officers though.

I have a few friends up here in Canada who are LEOs, I think most of them train crossfit. The ones who are huge are generally guys who have a lot of training under their belts and usually high school athletes.

In the military the majority of people were barely passing the minimum requirement. Its the military, they don't set those standards for people to fail, people fail because they quit. The military want more soldiers. There was a 50 year old woman who passed basic military qualification with me so thats all I have to say about that.

But if your big concern is getting attacked by a police officer then I think you need to reconsider how you deal with LEOs. I have never been in a situation where I have been forcefully put down or tazered or whatever. I have been detained, you just follow their instructions and they'll be reasonable. They use a chart that outlines the escalation of force they can legally use. If for example your not obeying their commands, they can step up to using less lethal means to get you to comply.

Usually its the rookie cops that jump from 0 to 100 but they're usually paired with a more senior guy. When I was detained i was responding in a calm manner to the senior guy when the rookie started yelling at me and then the senior guy looked at him with a "shut up" look. I didn't react, just gave both of them a "whats wrong with you guys" look so they know that I'm not being aggressive, why are they behaving this way.

The whole time just be calm and let them do whatever they need to do. Do not get aggressive. LEOs are just doing their job. If you make it easy for them, they'll make it easy for you. As soon as they feel threatened then they'll escalate. Don't let it get to that level. If you don't agree, then just comply, write down the facts after, ask for witnesses and then argue in court, not on the street.

The thing to remember is just make the LEO feel like you will not be a threat.

Do not make unnecessary movements and keep your hands visible at all times. Even now when being pulled over, I'll keep my hands on the steering wheel until the officer is at my window and can see everything. follow their instructions word for word and dont jump ahead. When you start jumping ahead and rushing thing, they'll have more to worry about.

During that encounter, I had a knife in my pocket so as I was being patted down, I told the officer, "officer, i have a pocket knife in my right pant pocket". Simple as that and then after they gave it back to me when i was released.

Quote: (08-27-2014 01:34 PM)CaptainChardonnay Wrote:  

Quote: (08-27-2014 01:00 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

Hee,

I have a few friends up here in Canada who are LEOs, I think most of them train crossfit. The ones who are huge are generally guys who have a lot of training under their belts and usually high school athletes.

In the military the majority of people were barely passing the minimum requirement. Its the military, they don't set those standards for people to fail, people fail because they quit. The military want more soldiers. There was a 50 year old woman who passed basic military qualification with me so thats all I have to say about that.

But if your big concern is getting attacked by a police officer then I think you need to reconsider how you deal with LEOs. I have never been in a situation where I have been forcefully put down or tazered or whatever. I have been detained, you just follow their instructions and they'll be reasonable. They use a chart that outlines the escalation of force they can legally use. If for example your not obeying their commands, they can step up to using less lethal means to get you to comply.

Usually its the rookie cops that jump from 0 to 100 but they're usually paired with a more senior guy. When I was detained i was responding in a calm manner to the senior guy when the rookie started yelling at me and then the senior guy looked at him with a "shut up" look. I didn't react, just gave both of them a "whats wrong with you guys" look so they know that I'm not being aggressive, why are they behaving this way.

The whole time just be calm and let them do whatever they need to do. Do not get aggressive. LEOs are just doing their job. If you make it easy for them, they'll make it easy for you. As soon as they feel threatened then they'll escalate. Don't let it get to that level. If you don't agree, then just comply, write down the facts after, ask for witnesses and then argue in court, not on the street.

The thing to remember is just make the LEO feel like you will not be a threat.

Do not make unnecessary movements and keep your hands visible at all times. Even now when being pulled over, I'll keep my hands on the steering wheel until the officer is at my window and can see everything. follow their instructions word for word and dont jump ahead. When you start jumping ahead and rushing thing, they'll have more to worry about.

During that encounter, I had a knife in my pocket so as I was being patted down, I told the officer, "officer, i have a pocket knife in my right pant pocket". Simple as that and then after they gave it back to me when i was released.

That's not the problem. I am incredibly unassuming, have nothing against cops, and have always had pleasant encounters with them.

However an ounce of prevention goes a long way. I'd like an angry cop like the "I'll fucking shoot you!" guy in Ferguson to think twice before coming at me. If i'm bigger than the "rookie" in your story he would have been less inclined to act crazy. I live in a large city and if crowd control measures go nuts I'd like to be able to hold my own.

Thanks for the advice on how to interact with LEOs. However, please keep the discussion on what I originally asked. Thanks!

Standards for Army Ranger school:

Ranger PFTRecommended Scores
Push-ups in 2:0080
Sit-ups in 2:00 80
Pull-ups 12
Two-mile run Sub 13:00
5 Mile run 35:00
16-mile hike w/65lb pack4-5 hours
15-meter swim with gearPass/Fail

Screening test for SEAL BUDS

PHYSICAL SCREENING TEST MINIMUM OPTIMUM
Swim 500 yard breast or side stroke12:30 9:00
Push-ups 50 90
Curl-ups 50 85
Pull-ups 10 18
Run 1.5 miles 10:30 09:30

I'm laughing at you guys throwing out special forces pt test.
I'm sure none of you are performing at those levels either.

the op is looking for realistic benchmark..but a benchmark that one percent of one percent use

op. I dont know how your Google works..but in thirty seconds your can Google us army fitness test and the first or second links will outline for you.

the average person can't do 42 consecutive push up.
most guys in the gym don't train for that muscular endurance.

most people will struggle to do 53 sit ups.

and even a person often in the gym doesn't do enough cardio to run two miles in 16 mins.

those are baseline benchmarks you should shoot for.
that is 60 percent. when it comes to strength and muscle endurance

most places use a army fitness test.

the air force is to easy and the marines is wasting your time..

Google army pt test.

shoot for 80 percent and work from there.

I am the cock carousel

^

You're sending him down the wrong path. He said he wants to be big. Well, spending all his time training for muscular endurance isn't going to help there.

Regarding special forces, it's not like most SF guys are jacked, they look like average dudes. Yeah, the SF guys I trained with were fit, but they were far from superhuman. I didn't kill myself keeping up despite being in sub-par shape compared to my peak athletic condition. D-III athletes would smoke them, because soldiers--special operations or not--are not athletes first. It's just a part of the job, and not the most important part.

People give a lot of weight to the crazy shit special operations guys go through during selection because it's physically demanding but that completely misses the point. It's a test of mental strength, not physical. They push soldiers right past their physical limits to see if they quit or if they sack up and keep trying. It's not like they do that shit day in, day out after selection.

---

frenchie, if you want to get big just do bodybuilding routines. Add in some low rep high intensity stuff to make sure your muscle isn't worthless, and there you go. I think your presence is more important than gaining size, though; I'd look into martial arts for that if you're not already doing so.

That crossfit chart CaptainChardonnay posted is the best set of performance standards I've seen in this thread so far, even if it's a bit nuts on the top end.

Quote: (08-28-2014 10:36 AM)Sp5 Wrote:  

Standards for Army Ranger school:

Ranger PFTRecommended Scores
Push-ups in 2:0080
Sit-ups in 2:00 80
Pull-ups 12
Two-mile run Sub 13:00
5 Mile run 35:00
16-mile hike w/65lb pack4-5 hours
15-meter swim with gearPass/Fail

Screening test for SEAL BUDS

PHYSICAL SCREENING TEST MINIMUM OPTIMUM
Swim 500 yard breast or side stroke12:30 9:00
Push-ups 50 90
Curl-ups 50 85
Pull-ups 10 18
Run 1.5 miles 10:30 09:30

No. Just... no. Hoo-ah School is the toughest school in the Army and those aren't the results for which the OP is searching. Also, most of the guys that go through Ranger School will wash out or get DQ'd with a medical issue.

For realism though, Army Basic PT standards (at least the standards for the exit qualifications: let's say an MOS of 11B here) should be more than enough.

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

Quote: (08-28-2014 03:45 PM)Sourcecode Wrote:  

I'm laughing at you guys throwing out special forces pt test.
I'm sure none of you are performing at those levels either.

the op is looking for realistic benchmark..but a benchmark that one percent of one percent use

op. I dont know how your Google works..but in thirty seconds your can Google us army fitness test and the first or second links will outline for you.

the average person can't do 42 consecutive push up.
most guys in the gym don't train for that muscular endurance.

most people will struggle to do 53 sit ups.

and even a person often in the gym doesn't do enough cardio to run two miles in 16 mins.

those are baseline benchmarks you should shoot for.
that is 60 percent. when it comes to strength and muscle endurance

most places use a army fitness test.

the air force is to easy and the marines is wasting your time..

Google army pt test.

shoot for 80 percent and work from there.

Thanks sourcecode, I did use Google but I was getting massively conflicting standards that were all over the place.

I figured asking here would be the best place to start [Image: angel.gif]