rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Merchant Mariner?

Merchant Mariner?

Hey guys, I just got out of high school a few months ago, and I've been working as an electricians helper for a few months. I've been planning to get certified as an OS ordinary seaman and apply for jobs with shipping companies. My sisters boyfriend has a lot of connections in the industry. His father teaches at a maritime college an his uncle is the dean. This job would be great because I would work for a few months at a time and I'll come back with 30k or so my first trip. As sea time increases so does the pay. 70-200k is possible. Does anyone see any reasons this wouldn't be a good idea. I know the shipping industry has declined but we can't possibly get rid of our whole fleet, and I woul have a jump start in an oil rig career because certified mariners are valuble to them. What do you guys think?

Merchant Mariner?

One of my good friends is in this industry and he makes real good money.

He works for a towing company and makes several hundred dollars a day on a 3 week on/ 3week off split. Not positive how much he makes for the year but i'd say over 70 and thats working half the year. It's definitely possible to have another job when you're back on land or you could travel.

Seems like it's similar to a trade job in the oil fields. High pay with a lot of time off if you want.

Merchant Mariner?

The maritime schools give you a good practical education for a lot of things.

Merchant Mariner?

I'm not sure if I'd want to go to school I'd rather just work up through the ranks. Pissing away money and time seems like a waste.

Merchant Mariner?

I have a family member who is a merchant marine. He makes well over 100k a year. I'm currently working on obtaining my twic card and my mmc(merchant mariner credential). I've been thinking about becoming a merchant marine.

Merchant Mariner?

I went to the TSA office to get my TWIC it was $125 an I have to wait 6-8 weeks to pick it up. Your better off just showing up to the TSA office instead of waiting a month for an appointment. Everyone there when I went was a walk in.

Merchant Mariner?

If you don't want to pay for schooling, try and apply to the Paul Hall Center for Maritime Training and Education. It's in Maryland. If you apply and get accepted the Seafarers Union will put you through the school. But you don't get paid while attending so have some cash saved up however you do get room and food. When you finish the school you get one job on a union ship right away and start off in the union with a higher rating. From there you're on your own. It's always an option to consider.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Merchant Mariner?

Is it four years of schooling or just a few courses?

Merchant Mariner?

One thing is that the U.S. maritime unions give a heavy preference to Navy and Coast Guard veterans for ordinary seaman positions. It used to be impossible to get a job unless you had been in the service.

Merchant Mariner?

Quote: (08-19-2014 10:34 PM)mmedeiros14 Wrote:  

Is it four years of schooling or just a few courses?

I believe it lasts about a year. Google the name of the school and look into it for verification.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Merchant Mariner?

I know a lot of guys who went to SUNY Maritime to get there license. If I could go back I think I might of went to college there (even though there is like 15% female population your half an hour from midtown Manhattan). I also think they ship out as students and travel overseas to Europe if I remember correctly.

They all graduated with their 3rd mate license, and shipped out to make casph and were recruited heavily upon graduation because they had the license so early. 3 of them still sail but 2 have shore side jobs now.