rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Quito

What´s going on here? I´m moving here for a while and need to know where to go, how people are and what to do.

Thanks!

Quito

Unglamorous city. There are two main parts in centro:

Old Town: Not much going on, lots of mom and pop establishments, markets. But a more genuine feel.

New Town: Tons of bar and restaurant choices with the dredlocked gringos that go along with it. Very dangerous at night.

If you're a gringo ecuadorian girls will dig you, but they are not too attractive. The richer the place you go, the hotter they will be (cuenca down south has hotter girls).

Here's my mini-guide on quito:

http://www.realmantravelguides.com/trave...ador/quito

Quito

Has anyone been to Quito lately? Where are the nightspots to check out?

Quito

I am going there this Sunday.

Quito

For any future Quito-goers, I've been here for a bit now and can point some things out: last night some guys I met kept insisting that I go to a place called "The Blues" close to the street "La Republica" and the park La Carolina. They described it to be a rave sort of club, with $12 entrance and completely open bar. They also proclaimed it had the best girls etc.

In terms of the mariscal area, No Bar costs $5 to enter with a free drink token and is swarming with a much younger crowd (and probably has the thickest density of gringos of any CLUB), small-ish but in a good way. There's Finn McCool's which is an Irish pub filled with ex-pats, a pool and foosball table, a huge projection of whatever the most anticipated sports game at the time is, a bar, some small tables, and a small area that people who are beyond drunk usually (try to) dance in (this bar/pub has the greatest gringo ratio of anywhere in town). Tequila Sunrise has a lot more local/gringo distribution, but I'd only recommend going on Th/F/Sat, as the last time I went during the week I was hit on by way too many cross-dressers and other dudes.

There's really a huge party scene here, except for on Sunday where they can't sell any liquor, and there's literally not a single person to be seen in the area (and I live VERY close to the main square) as I type this. Despite what others have said, I've found the girls here to be very good looking, but that could just depend on where I'm going and what I'm doing, and also on the fact that I'm younger and may have a completely different audience in front of me. Either way, gringo or not, if you head out to the bars chances are that if nothing else, some (probably mediocre) women will approach you (even if they're like 15 years older in my case... haha) to dance. I just play along for a bit to have some fun and loosen up, but I certainly don't stay there all night (or more than 10 minutes).

That being said, the area is and isn't dangerous-- it depends on how dangerous you make it. Want to be mugged or robbed or beaten half to death and left in a dumpster? Fill your wallet to the brim and make a nice bulge in your back pocket. Otherwise, try what I do and either get one of those 'discrete fanny-pack' things that lay flat around your waistline, or start using the tiny inconvenient pockets usually inside the right pocket of most jeans. Don't wear lot's (or any, really) of jewelery, super nice sunglasses, etc. Don't EVER, EVER, EEEEEVER bring your laptop anywhere outside of your hotel/hostel/secure living quarters if it's not hidden away--don't be surprised if someone just runs past, snags it frmo under your arm, and takes off. Technology is very expensive here, and even a crappy digital camera worth $30 in The States goes for $100+. Always, AAAAALWAYS, avoid abandoned streets or streets with less than 10 people, some cars, and good lighting. The road Joaquin Pinto is the scariest road I've found so far, and on the corner of JP and Juan Leon Mera is a housing complex filled to the brim with drug addicts/vendors. If you stand out as blatantly as I do, expect to be harassed repeatedly on that corner (especially if you travel solo).

I've been in Quito on my own for quite some time now, making trips all across the city by myself from wealthy areas to slummy areas that have never seen a gringo walk into their 'turf' before. I have yet to be attacked/robbed/mugged/confronted, but I'm also incredibly aware of what I need to do in order to prevent such an occurance. If you let a huge camera dangle from a strap on your neck, you have no right to complain when someone tries to take it. Also, never be afraid to take a cab instead of walking a moderate distance. In a 10 minute walk you could quite possibly be attacked if you're intoxicated (or not) and look like you may have something of value on you. I'd also like to add that these guidelines are probably true of most countries, just don't be flashy and stupid while abroad and you should have a great time :-)

Love,

CrabRangoon

P.s. Sometimes I keep this old city map in my back pocket when I feel like I may need it, but I think it'd be hilarious if someone pick-pocketed me and only got a map I recieved for free. Or, maybe I'll walk around with headphones in listening to music and wait for someone to steal it from me. Won't they be pleased to see I'm using a portable cassette player ;-) Now where the hell can I find a cassette player these days...

Quito

@ CrabRangoon

What exactly are you doing in Quito (working?) How old are you?

How many young gringos do you see when you go out to the good dance clubs in Quito?

Quito

Don't go to quito. Go to Guayaquil....Girls are banging HOTT down there.

Your welcome.

"The biggest mistake I ever made was being fearful of losing someone. One should never be afraid of losing a girl" El Diablo

Quito

Quote: (06-19-2011 04:18 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

@ CrabRangoon

What exactly are you doing in Quito (working?) How old are you?

How many young gringos do you see when you go out to the good dance clubs in Quito?

I'm 20 and in Quito to improve my Spanish and work an internship (which is cutting my expenses and giving me a place to practice businessey Spanish) as a receptionist. Sometimes when I go out I'm the only non-local in the club, or the group I go in is the only group of gringos, but it is VERY dependant upon where you decide to go (and 70% of us are college students). Similar to what I said earlier, NoBar had a strong number of foreigners (about... 50/60%) but there are tons of bars that only the locals go to, or only the highschoolers tend to go to etc. I don't remember the names, but I walk past these places all the time and I'll try and remember next time I go that way.

--And about the coast, I keep hearing that's the place to be, but in the end I have classes and work here that I can't miss, so I'll have to mess around with my options for a while to figure something out.

Peace out,

CrabRangoon

Quito

Crab

How did you get the job at the hotel? Are you doing some sorta of school program to learn spanish organized in the states or did you just roll down there by yourself?

Quito

I'm doing a program through my school, but I'm the only student intern here. They usually tend to have one intern at all times here. From what I've heard, abroad students can't work (legally) for wages in most countries, which is why they cut the expenses of my trip instead. So, if you're looking to study abroad, good luck finding work--I'm sure it's possible, but probably difficult.

Quito

Quote: (06-19-2011 04:20 PM)Diablo Wrote:  

Don't go to quito. Go to Guayaquil....Girls are banging HOTT down there.

Your welcome.

Yep, hotter babes there, but i didn't think Quito had bad looking girls. Go party in Banos one weekend to, that place is pretty cool

Quito

Sounds good! I'm pullin' real hard to get my schedule changed so that I can head out there :-D