rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Have you fallen in love with a city?

Is there a city you've ever completely fallen for as in you feel this is the patch of earth you were meant to live on and could see basing the rest of your life in? It's everything you want, gives you your ideal lifestyle, meets your social needs, energizes you, challenges and stimulates you?

Is anyone currently living in their personal paradise?

I grew up in Los Angeles and had a love/hate relationship with it. The last few years I tired of it and felt it was time to move on at some point. In my new city my feelings are "could be better, could be worse" but I have no intentions of remaining here for too long as it doesn't fit my ideal lifestyle. I'm just here to make money and save before moving on.

I still don't know where my paradise would be or if such a thing even exists for me. When I'm ready to make my move, I'd like to to take some exploratory trips to places I've never been and see where I could see myself settling in long term.

Hard so say really. I've felt that way about a few cities initially. But my attitude changed a bit once the honeymoon phase was over. I felt that way about Vancouver for a while, I had been there many times but in the summer months. One time I had a connecting flight through Vancouver in January, I saw the awful fog and grim, dark, rainy skies that the city has for weeks on end in the winter months. Changed my perspective quite a bit.

As much as it gets negative press on this forum, Miami is pretty awesome for my current lifestyle. If you're trying to make money and find bitches who want to go along for that ride, it's one of the better places you're going to find. I'm not trying to get married or have kids, so I'm basically done with a bitch after a few nuts. I'm also still in my 20s for a little bit.

I know there's a lot of bullshit in the manosphere about wanting to latch on to traditional Christianity and start a family. That's obviously not going to get much traction in the U.S. and guys who are expecting that are dinosaurs. Unless you're going to live in a very remote corner of the world you really can't expect that anymore.

I love Washington D.C., Toronto, and all the other poosy paradises like these.

Edit: Can't forget Zanesville.

Quote: (08-17-2014 02:03 AM)Vitriol Wrote:  

If you're trying to make money and find bitches who want to go along for that ride, it's one of the better places you're going to find.
I know there's a lot of bullshit in the manosphere about wanting to latch on to traditional Christianity and start a family. That's obviously not going to get much traction in the U.S. and guys who are expecting that are dinosaurs. Unless you're going to live in a very remote corner of the world you really can't expect that anymore.

What line of work are you in, man? I grew up near Miami...the salary/COL ratio is not too good there from what I remember.

I agree with you 100% on the traditionalist nonsense. That time has come and gone. Guys just need to accept that society/morals are in a rapid state of decline. Live by the new rules or perish. And the 1st rule is don't tie yourself down with a woman who on a whim can take half of what you own.

Quote: (08-17-2014 01:04 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Is there a city you've ever completely fallen for as in you feel this is the patch of earth you were meant to live on and could see basing the rest of your life in? It's everything you want, gives you your ideal lifestyle, meets your social needs, energizes you, challenges and stimulates you?

Great thread.

It's far from a poosy paradise, but for me personally, I would have to say Tokyo.

If I had a means of making an income in Tokyo, and if I could speak Japanese, I could see myself living there for the rest of my life (or at least for the long-term).

It just has so much to offer me:
- Amazing culture and lifestyle.
- Impeccably clean.
- Very comprehensive infrastructure.
- Extremely safe.
- Amazing nightlife/music scene.
- Good weather (not too hot and not too cold).
- Huge variety of good quality food.
- Japan is a high-income country (although one of the downsides of living in Tokyo is that the cost of living there is very high).
- Beautiful, thin and feminine Asian girls as far as the eye can see.

Quote: (08-17-2014 03:14 AM)Biologist Wrote:  

It's far from a poosy paradise, but for me personally, I would have to say Tokyo.

Tokio seems like a great place to try.

Im personally in love with Mexico City. Has Everything for me and more.

Bratislava. Has everything I want.

Tokyo is pretty awesome, if you can afford it. . . .

I'm in for Kyoto. Small enough, loads of tourist (blessing or curse?), gorgeous temples and shrines, navigable by bike. Great food, if you know how to do it can be even reasonable QPR.
Hot as fuck summers, coldish winters... But that just weeds out the unfit.
Not much nightlife, but good enough. For that there is Osaka nearby.

The dames here seem all class, much better than Osaka, though they are more snobbish. I like challenges, so I could see that with a few more years, and speaking more the language this would be my shangri-la.

Toronto I have a love-hate thing going on, great city, but the winters . . . FUCK THAT. ... Hate them with a passion.

Mexico City has both great weather and awesome vibe, but the insecurity gives me the willies. Plus they are running out of water, it's gonna be a huge problem.
Great food though. Fun people. But if I'm starting all over again I'd rather do it in a first world city.

Quote: (08-17-2014 03:14 AM)Biologist Wrote:  

- Japan is a high-income country (although one of the downsides of living in Tokyo is that the cost of living there is very high).

Not sure about this. It *was* a very rich country (in the 80s) but has been on long-term decline economically. Nowadays the average Japaneses salarymen are making no more than their western counterparts (we are talking about a couple of thousand of euros per month here), which is a raw deal consider how long they have to work. When I was in Tokyo last time, one thing struck me most was the constant stream of office workers (ususally in groups of 9 guys + 1 gal [Image: wink.gif] ) leaving office towers nearly my hotel at 10pm, every night.

For high salary incomes, go to Switzerland/Norway in Europe or HK/Singapore in Asia. Of course, if you have location-independent incomes, it doesn't matter anymore [Image: smile.gif]

Good thread

I have fallen in love with Singapore, yeah it's expensive and the chicks aren't that great compared to the rest of SE Asia. But here I can earn decent money and live in a comfortable clean city with a great social scene for those who are in the know. The main thing for me is I have been lucky enough to build up an absolutely awesome social circle with expats who have a critical mass here to organise regular events and trips away. I'm part of a football club with 5 teams and around 120 members, pretty much all of whom are absolute legends. Although the nightlife scene is a little unpredictable just now with a load of new places opening up I did before have my regular club on lock and pulled some real quality chicks from there as well as meeting the occasional celebrity. Often I loved the nightscene and hanging with my mates so much that I would even turn down chicks who were DTF if it was too early in the night.

But the great thing I love about Singapore is the location where it is so easy and cheap to fly to a whole host of locations around SE Asia. The comparable earnings and cost of singapore normally means going for a weekend to thailand, Nam, Indo, Phils everything is so comparably cheap that it isnt a big impact on your wallet. If anything a weekend away can be even CHEAPER than a big blowout weekend in Singapore. I'm using the opportunity to get away as much as I can, especially while the nightlife scene here is in a current state of flux. Yeah the top end of chicks are tougher work here and theres more competition, but I find that just helps me keep my game tight so I can go clean up in the likes of Nam, Indo, Phils etc when I go on my weekend pillaging sessions.

I may be forced to move back to the UK however due to family reasons, but the long term goal is to move back out here as soon as i possibly can. For sure I can see myself staying here for the forseeable unless circumstances change. Just ticks all the right boxes for me. However, doesnt necessarily mean its for everyone. And there may be some other cities out there in SE Asia which tick my boxes even more. Just being based here gives me a good opportunity to get out there and explore them

Irish

Even if I'm from Montreal, it's hard for me to not be in love with the city, especially during summer. Yes, it is insanely cold during winter but there are so many good restaurants, joints, pubs and bars that it's just impossible to not have a good time there even on a slow night. People are very friendly, even the girls with high bitch shields can be somewhat approachable with the right mindset. With 3.5 millions people there is a lot of chances you will never run into the same people going out in the same bar 7 nights a week. The food is great, architecture is great (old European and French architecture from 1600-1700 mixed with modern skyscrapers. People are incredibly friendly compared to Paris, and there are so many festivals during summer timer that you will always stay busy.

If you like variety, Montreal is the place to be. With as many Anglophones and francophone, there is only one city that comes close in term of feeling of a rivalry between two languages in the same city and it is Brussels. If you like anglo girls, you're at the right place and they are much friendlier than in Toronto, French Canadian girls? That's the place to be. French girls from France? There's a HUGE community of French workers and students right now so you don't have to fly to Paris to try to pick up one of them. Morrocan, Lebanese, Asians? We got them all! And even to some extent Canadian poles, Columbians trying to learn French, Latinas.. there is really something for everyone.

Outside Montreal, I would say I really fell in love with the city of Lausanne, I had a good vibe from women being French Canadian there and I love the outdoors and skiing. For the same reason I'm sure I would love Munich but I have no visited yet. I like bigger cities so I'm sure Munich could be great for me (always had great vibe from German girls)

Hiroshima- great group of expats. None of the snobbery that Tokyo affords. Compact friendly and lively nightlife. Big open spaces next to sea. Not too big not too small. Fukuoka seems another fun place.

Quote: (08-17-2014 02:31 AM)Exiled Princeling Wrote:  

Quote: (08-17-2014 02:03 AM)Vitriol Wrote:  

If you're trying to make money and find bitches who want to go along for that ride, it's one of the better places you're going to find.

What line of work are you in, man? I grew up near Miami...the salary/COL ratio is not too good there from what I remember.

I agree with you 100% on the traditionalist nonsense. That time has come and gone. Guys just need to accept that society/morals are in a rapid state of decline. Live by the new rules or perish. And the 1st rule is don't tie yourself down with a woman who on a whim can take half of what you own.

Disagree.
Because society and morals are in a rapid state of decline, good luck finding any woman who won't take half of what you own. Traditionalism exists, just not in the U.S.

It's more like: Live by the new rules and perish, or leave.

two scoops
two genders
two terms

I can honestly say that I've come close to falling in love with almost every city I've spent more than a few months in, probably because I'm very selective about where I live and money isn't the major driving factor.

Having said that, like every woman I've been in love with, the feeling hasn't lasted more than a year.

Ethan Amarante's datasheets:
*Glasgow

Hong Kong

- Warm year round
- Mountains and forest to hike/camp
- Beaches
- Urban Jungle
- Excellent metro and airport (relatively short haul to SE and E Asia)
- Drunken debauchery in LKF, Wanchai, TST, CB
- Fashionable asian chicks
- Boat parties
- Huge horse track scene

Really has everything

I love all the Scandinavia countries and Los Angeles

Chicago = greatest city

Quote: (08-19-2014 07:03 AM)nmmoooreland20 Wrote:  

Hong Kong

- Warm year round
- Mountains and forest to hike/camp
- Beaches
- Urban Jungle
- Excellent metro and airport (relatively short haul to SE and E Asia)
- Drunken debauchery in LKF, Wanchai, TST, CB
- Fashionable asian chicks
- Boat parties
- Huge horse track scene

Really has everything

I've always wanted to visit Hong Kong. I always look at pictures and sometimes goof around on Google street view. I have a friend in Taiwan who speaks Chinese. I'm tempted to see if he'd be interested in a trip to Hong Kong and meet up.

I lived in San Diego a few years ago for half a year. Won't lie, I absolutely love that city and was well received in almost any venue I went to (except Hollywood). People were really friendly to me there.

I don't think it's possible.

First time I set foot in a Japanese city, I thought 'jesus fuck! this is amazing!'. 'This makes Australian cities look like shanty towns!'. But that was 6 years ago, and after traveling for a while, I now feel 'Meh, yeah OK Japanese cities are still the best'.

Diminishing returns I guess. Everyone I talk to who says 'OMG this city/country was absolutely amazing!!', always turns out to be a new traveller. After a while even the most completely different places start to look the same. None of it is 'fresh' any more. It's like that age old feeling when there are no more 'cool patches' in your bed anymore.

Everywhere has had its pluses and minues. It would take some kind of miracle city to be 'minus-less'. Tokyo for instance, got downright frustrating because of how long it took to traverse the city, the high rents pushing chicks out into various remote suburbs, and last train. FUCK I hated last train, absolutely crippling in a city as big as tokyo, when a taxi trip would cost $70 and owning a vehicle was impossible for the non-rich. Then the fact that girls, like everyone else, were obsessed with working (or more accurately 'being at work'). The 'yes I would like to meet, how is the 22nd next month for you?' BS is well known.

I think it's much easier to love a country than a city. A country you generally associate with the people within it and the general geography. Cities you generally associate with the mundanities of transport, rent, safety, which venues are the best etc.

Also I might note that people often falsely ascribe the 'this place is great!' feeling to cities because they were on holiday. If all you do all day for 2 weeks is eat, visit new interesting stuff, and get wasted with your friends in a interesting foreign setting, you're going to say 'that city was great'. Not a fair test.[/b]

I used to think São Paulo (where I grew up and currently live) was the best city in the world.

I held that opinion until 2012, after a stint in Europe, when I fell in love with Sevilla and Budapest.

I still consider both to be great; but I've since become disenchanted with São Paulo.

For the last couple of years I've been getting more and more into the idea of leaving city life and ultimately buying a small farm/rural estate close to a tier 2/3 city.

Quote: (08-19-2014 08:36 AM)Ringo Wrote:  

I used to think São Paulo (where I grew up and currently live) was the best city in the world.

I held that opinion until 2012, after a stint in Europe, when I fell in love with Sevilla and Budapest.

I still consider both to be great; but I've since become disenchanted with São Paulo.

For the last couple of years I've been getting more and more into the idea of leaving city life and ultimately buying a small farm/rural estate close to a tier 2/3 city.

Damn, I thought Sao Paulo was the most grim looking city I ever went to, until I went to Manila.

For me, the architecture and the rest of the urban environment are a big thing. I like a city to have interesting buildings, a mix of old and new, and the new buildings to be good and not just concrete boxes.

I fell in love with Rome a long time ago, and I still love it. It has wonderful terra-cotta colored old interesting buildings, plenty of trees on the streets, it's an international capital and has all of its old history spread around it, and there are lots of hidden little clubs and restaurants in it.

Among US cities, I like Boston, at least in the spring/summer/fall.

Great old buildings and variety of architecture, plenty of trees, a river and the ocean, lots of things to do without being enormous, stacked and crowded like NYC.

I second Budapest. I don't know about love but I certainly have a lingering crush on the place. Nicest city in EE hands down. I just felt the women didnt match up to Poland or Cz unfortunately. But perhaps 1 month wasn't long enough for a fair appraisal.

I have fallen in love and out of love with many places, every single city has something to offer, and a downside to it as well. There are beautiful women everywhere you go, anyone who says otherwise is a pessimist. There is beauty in landscapes, in skylines, in beaches, in oceans, in the old and the new. I will continue to travel the world in search of my utopia, but I highly doubt I will find it. Maybe the whole world is my paradise.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

Have to 2nd Chi-Town

All 4 seasons
Music/Cultural Festivals
Different Cultures
Cuisine
Hot Women

MDP