rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice you received (or didn't) when you were young

I'm interested to know what kind of life advice other RVF'ers experienced when they were young. From authority figures, older relatives, teachers etc; about women, being independent, being successful, career and work advice etc.

I come from a background of basically having received zero valuable advice, be it from teachers or parents or friends or whatever. It is only after having had to do all the learning myself, from the ground up, over many many years, that I have realized how incredibly lacking some young men are in terms of basic education. It also made me wonder, were other young men getting taught the basics, be it from their fathers, uncles etc?

You're all probably familiar with the fluff: 'just get out there', 'be yourself', 'get good grades, then work hard in your job', 'getting a girlfriend will "just happen"' etc etc. That was basically all I got.

How do the rest of you compare?

My dad did alot of the "dad" stuff peopl take for granted.
He was british navy for 33 years, recently retired. He grew up in post world war 2 england. Both of his parents were veterans.

I learned alot of lessons the hard way.

One lesson i'll never for get was about keeping my word. He said i could go out to a party once i finished my homework. I lied to him and still wen to the party.
When i returned home piss drunk i snuck back into my room and got into bed with my clothes on. About 2 minutes later he clears his voice, i look over and he's sitting in my chair at my desk.
He says we're going for a run in 2 hours. Be ready to go downstairs. Will i have to come up and get you? I say "No".
Later on that day i knew that if you say you're gonna do something, do it. Or don't say anything at all.
He's like "Women and homosexuals make up excuses for shit. Men don't."

When i was 16 i though i was a big man and thought it would b cool/funny to talk back to my dad. We were nearly the same height but he was considerably more filled out than me.
He pretended not to hear what i said, so i came closer and said my slick shit again and he hit me, only once because i dropped instantly. He said "never talk shit to someone who can obviously beat you".
If you talk back to someone know they might hit you.

He also put me into martial arts at 8 so that if i needed to defend myself i could. My mom was against it fiercely.
To this day i'm thankful for him not allowing women bullshit dictate my life.

"Listen, this campus is full of girls. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Date as many as possible -- these are college girls!"

This came from a college advisor whose job was mentoring me on the campus newspaper. But he took it upon himself to school me in the ways of women when he learned I was depressed over a breakup.

I absorbed what he was saying, but you have to get to be 40 to really, truly appreciate how right that is. You're never going to be around thousands of single women ages 18-22 again. Get to it!

Pop would say 'Be self-sufficient, when you fall nobody will be there to catch you'

Never let anyone put their hands on you

He also taught me how to shoot & gave me my first gun - chrome .44 Mag

MDP

"If you're going to make a mistake, make a great mistake." - High school Football Coach

"If you keep one foot in the past and one in the future you end up shitting on today" - My Dad

"Your responsible for the effort, not the outcome" - My Dad

I received zero advice whatsoever hence having to resolve stuff at a later date. If someone comes from a loving and supportive family, it must give them a lot of confidence along with perspective and reference points of looking at the world.

Always date younger women, preferably 10 years range. -dad

Received lots of advice, here's one chestnut that sticks out

If you can't talk to the person you're with, you can't be with them.

I think that advice has scarred me in unimaginable ways.

WIA

Dad said don't get married til I'm 30. So far so good and I can see why. At 24 I'm still single with no kids. I've got friends and acquaintances who are married, divorced and/or on the 18 year payment plan. They're miserable.

I almost fell into the trap at age 19, but he talked some sense into me and I can't express my gratitude enough. My dad kicks ass.

He's also never heald my hand since I've been on my own. No free money, free cars, rent, etc. it's made me a better and more self sufficient man. When I look at my peers and how dependent they are on mom and dad I cringe.

Don't let the bastards get you down.

Translate ...People will work against you when they see your true talents and gifts. You can only relie on yourself in this world. Don't place important on what others say or think about you

Quote: (08-12-2014 01:16 PM)Dantes Wrote:  

Don't let the bastards get you down.

Translate ...People will work against you when they see your true talents and gifts. You can only relie on yourself in this world. Don't place important on what others say or think about you

This right here.
There are a lot of haters out there. They are basic and simple. Envious because you can do what they cannot.

I never had any useful advice from my father. Much of the wisdom I've gotten comes from books and common sense.

I've learned more in a year of consuming this forum and the R writers than I learned in the 19 years previous.

"If it flies, floats or fucks, you're better off renting it".

I wish I hadn't learned how to be the perfect beta male. My son will learn the opposite from me.

Barry

"Never live outside your means"
"Never buy shit you can't afford"
"Never listen to women's advice"
"Always trust your gut"
"No ones ever going to hand you anything Kaotic"

My uncle raised me, he's never been married, does whatever the hell he wants, and he's happily traveling the world.

I used to blame myself for him not getting married since he had to raise me. Turns out he loves the life he lives.

"Get it in writing."

My mom and dad said I should listen to my wife. Fuck that shit. She has to listen to me. Most of the time she doesn't even understand what she is talking about.

Strike while the Iron is hot
Never stay in the same spot for too long
Its easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission