rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What Workout Programs have you tried?

Kazillion programs out there...p90x, insanity, tae bo, strong lifts, starting strength ; it never ends...

What have you tried and what was the result?

Would also like to hear from anyone with experience with the body by science method/arthur jones/mike mentzer involving slow movements and less frequent workouts; the idea of being at the gym less with similar results is certainly appealing if it's true...

I started about 4 years ago with Starting Strength 5x5. Good beginner's strength stuff, you need a foundation. You will be fitter, you may not look like an underwear model quickly but you need to start somewhere.

Scooby made a good review of several workout plans on his site. It is a BS free website from someone who's not trying to sell you stuff. You can find it here : http://scoobysworkshop.com/the-best-workout/

Starting Strength and Mad Cow.

It's best to pick ONE program and stick to it for several months, if not a year.

Right now I'm doing a basic push/pull/squat, without the squats due to knee problems from Jiu Jitsu. So basically I'm Johnny Bravoing it for the time being.

Building the Gymnastic Body is fantastic

Quote: (08-11-2014 03:59 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

It's best to pick ONE program and stick to it for several months, if not a year.

I could not agree more. Consistency is the key. As long as you don't pick a retarded workout plan, you'll get results if you stick to your program.

Wendler's531 - My personal favourite as it never fails to bring progress, also lots of variations. I'm currently doing the 531 and back down version that I got from Beyond 531, where you work up to your max reps set as usual, then work back down and do another max rep set using your first working weight of the day. I really like this, and then I just do the boring but big assistance (although I do the variation of this where I don't do the assistance for the same movement on the same day, for example the 5 x 10 bench I do after 531 Press, and vice versa

Joe Defranco's WS4SB - Good programme, gained strength nicely, lots of flexibility to include movements you like / need

Doug Hepburn's triples and singles and power and pump programmes - Not bad, gained some strength, but boring

Joe Defranco's Built Like a Badass - Again pretty good (uses a somewhat similar scheme to 531, but only trains one main upper and lower body movement which would be drawback for many), lots of room to maneuver with exercise choices, not too time consuming

Starting Strength - Horrible for me, I think straight sets across is probably the worst way I've ever tried to gain strength.

A routine devised from reading Stuart McRobert's Beyond Brawn - worked very well for me as I started microloading with platemates, was consistent, and made a lot of gains in this period.

One set to failure after reading Mike Mentzer's book - gained no strength and no size, got a little fatter eating the same calories as I was previously. I really do far better with volume.

A kind of regular bodybuilding routine with 5-6 days on per week, lots of exercises, lots of volume, and lots of intensity technique - Gained lots of size and a good bit of strength, but stopped as I decided to go back to boxing

German Volume Training after Poliquin raved about it - Some results, a bit boring, too much volume for me at the time

I've used others but can't think off the top of my head. Next I'm planning to look properly into Westside if 531 ever stops bringing me results.

I don't know where the OP stands on the fitness scale, whether he's ever trained before or not etc.

When I started lifting I was a pure neophyte. I was overwhelmed by all the dude-bro advice about this program versus that program and the "do you even lift bro?" approach to guys getting religious about their programs. Programming seemed daunting.

The trick is to find a program that is simple and accessible, that you will do consistently and correctly. I doesn't matter if so and so got jacked doing program X - he didn't get jacked because of that program he got jacked because of eating well, resting well, exercising consistently and intensely.

Personally I found Rippetoe's SS 5x5 to be easy to understand. It took about four years to go from ~200lbs 32% BF to ~193lbs sub-10% BF started training 3x/week the first 1-2 years now 6/1, about 90 minutes a day. After the second year I devised my own 6 day splits which I rotate - but I understand my body now in a way that was impossible those first two years.

Hope this helps. And good luck on your journey.

I did P90X a few different times. Good results, taught me a lot of different moves I could do (as I was new to working out). Now I just do my own routine thats based off of moves that were displayed in P90X. All you really need is free weights and a pull up bar. The main problem with P90X is it's hard to find time to fit it into your schedule. Some of the workouts are about an hour long then you have 15 minutes or so of AB workouts some days. If you have free time I would highly recommend it. I have not tried any other Programs so I can't say this is the 'best' but I did see results for sure.

1. CrossFit (2008-2011) - Introduction/conduit to barbell work.

2. Starting Strength (2011-2014...intermittent) - Completed LP in early 2014

3. GSLP (2011) - 6 months. Decent program.

4. 531 (2012) - 6 months. Advanced program, not for novices.

5. Smolov (several mesocycles of base, one full mesocycle) - Brutal. Will put hair on your balls.

6. Block Periodization - Auto-regulated RPE/RTS (Fall '13-current) - The best so far, very pragmatic and well suited for job (fireman).