rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

use the Anchor concept to start dressing well

For the guy looking to go from this to this, the journey seems pretty daunting. Especially if you don’t give a shit about fashion. But you need to look good to get laid consistently with hot women, this is the rule and not the exception.

Every basic style guide mentions having a couple pairs of nice jeans and shoes, but it’s necessary to understand why that is so important. There’s a very simple way to get started, which I call an Anchor:

one pair of fitted dark blue jeans and stylish, versatile brown shoes that look great together

That’s it. This immediately will put you in the top 1% of (straight) guys who dress well. Here’s why it works, and how you can do it.

Step 1: The shoes
Holy Christ do most guys have ugly, terrible shoes these days. Steve Carrell's photo is basically what you see everywhere. There’s no faster way to get the average schlub label from a girl than by having bad shoes. Don’t be that guy. There’s more than enough already posted on the forum relating to shoes, so I won’t get into too much detail. Just do this:

Get a stylish and versatile brown shoe in the $100-$500 range. In other words, something dressier than a sneaker but less formal than a dress shoe.

These are some Cole Haan Lunar Grands I picked up for $170. In addition to looking dope, they are equally comfortable to wear all day every day. A lot of standard dress shoes are fine for the office and certain events, but you want something that will be as comfortable at hour 10 as they are hour 1.

The moment you step up your shoe game is when you’ll start getting a ton of compliments. Hot girls love a man who *gets it* when it comes to shoes. Personally I’m a big fan of brogues, but anything within the stylish and versatile framework is fine. Don’t be afraid to drop some cash, it will be well worth it.

(I didn’t include tucked in pics, but if/when you do that, a nice matching belt is a necessity as well)

Step 2: The jeans
This is the tricky part, because it depends on your size. I run 5’9 150 and wear a 29-30 waist, so my body type is naturally suited by the slim/skinny style. But a heavier guy would look awkward with the same fit of my jeans. My advice: get as tight as you feel comfortable with, and then maybe a size tighter, since jeans stretch. Pay close attention to the cut as well, as guys with big asses, quads, etc will be differently suited. If you are unsure about what is *too* tight, get the input of a few cute girls.

My jeans are nothing special, some Levis 511 from Urban Outfitters for $70. Denim material is important, but fit is everything. Don’t feel like you have to drop a wad at Nordstroms or anything, there are jeans everywhere. Just focus on finding dark blue ones that are comfortable and conform well to your legs.

This delves into your overall health as well. Lifting and putting on muscle is certainly a priority of mine, but so is having a small stomach. When you get rid of your gut and start to develop a six-pack you’ll both feel and look significantly better. Bigger guys have a little more leeway in terms of carrying weight, but in my opinion, everyone should be trying to drop a waist size.

Step 3: The top
Now that your anchor is set, there are infinite ways to look good. In my case, I have pictures of outfits for all types of occasions, but could also look fresh in a v-neck, tucked-in dress shirt, peacoat, whatever fits well. I don’t take a lot of risks when I dress, I just like nice materials and shirts that display my physique in a tasteful way.

Note that the polo is from Uniqlo ($10) and the henley is from Urban Outfitters ($30), so you can wear a lot of basic, cheap stuff with a single anchor. Again, focus focus focus on the fit.

When you really start dressing well, you realize there are two groups of men: those who are getting eye-fucked/complimented/touched multiple times a day, and everyone else. Establish a solid anchor and you will be well on your way.

Post images not links

Quote: (08-05-2014 05:23 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Post images not links

I tried several different formats as attachments, but none would load correctly. Is there something I'm missing?

for summer/warmer weather it's pretty similar.

Pair of light-tan or brown boat shoes and one/two pairs of khaki shorts (never going below the knee).

then you can put whatever type of top on, v-neck, henley, or even a collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up and look great.

This is great advice.

I basically work off of this for daily casual dress.

I spent over a year not wearing jeans outside of my home just to get myself comfortable going for a less casual look, but having discovered how good a perfectly fitting pair of jeans make me look, I've fazed them back in.

It is all about the jeans being the right colour for your skintone/eyes and being the correct fit, combined with a good pair of shoes.

Shoes do wonders.

I recommend having four pairs minimum. Two more standout pairs and two more subtle pairs, so that you don't end up being that guy who wears the same cool shoes every day.

How many pairs of jeans you need depends on how distinct they are.

Generally, one very plain (but correctly fitting) pair of jeans and two with distinct weathering, etc will be more than enough.

Since I'm not a very built guy, I'll often pair this look with a blazer, provided that they weather isn't too hot.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (08-05-2014 07:45 PM)Suits Wrote:  

I recommend having four pairs minimum. Two more standout pairs and two more subtle pairs, so that you don't end up being that guy who wears the same cool shoes every day.

How many pairs of jeans you need depends on how distinct they are.

Generally, one very plain (but correctly fitting) pair of jeans and two with distinct weathering, etc will be more than enough.

Definitely agree. And once you have several anchors you can start mixing and matching to avoid wearing the same outfit very often.

One more thing about nice shoes is you should diversify the materials. For example, I have another pair of Cole Haans, but they are suede and beige, meaning they get scuffed/stained very easily. So I might wear them for a date on a nice night, but not when it's likely to rain or if I'm going to a nightclub and risk getting a drink spilled on them.

So if you're looking for your first pair, I'd recommend something sturdy and darker in color. Something like this will hold up well over a long period of time.

Nice article.

I'd say being in shape weight wise is as important as fashion. In that picture, Steve Carell as well as bad clothing looks a bit on the overweight side.

you absolutely have to be in shape in order to have clothes that fit right for your size. nothing kills a look more than a stomach bulge. You can get around this but it's very tough.

Also to this I would add: contrast! At least two articles should contrast in some way. The rest neutral.

1. right click on the Steve Carrell/Gosling Photo
2. Click "copy image location"
3. On RVF, hit post
4. when the post reply button comes up, there's a Mountain Range with a Sun/Moon in the menu bar - click it
5. Paste the image location

[Image: Steve+Carell+Ryan+Gosling+Ryan+Gosling+S...4fCYml.jpg]

6. Hit preview to see if it comes through.

You're done.

WIA