rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting a Second Bachelor's

I graduated in 2012 and have so far not used my degree for anything, it's not that it's worthless per se, but my interests have radically changed since I committed. Has anyone gone back to school for a second BA or BS?

Imho even a first degree is questionable unless its for something targeted. Too many people have degrees in leisure studies or general liberal arts degrees that are basically worthless. It boils down to many office jobs cant be had without at least having that piece of paper so it opens a door but thats about it.

I normally tell people dont pursue a masters on your own dime unless your company is paying for it. Most jobs you can get some experience and sell yourself into a job so unless your going back for teaching or something which absolutely requires a degree and license dont get yourself in more debt. For masters get a job with tuition reimbursement and let them pay for it dont do it on your own dime.

Can you give more specifics? My thought it your going to be wasting 4 more years of your life and lots of money to get a job making 35k that you could probably get with your current degree.

Quote: (07-28-2014 10:55 AM)clever alias Wrote:  

I graduated in 2012 and have so far not used my degree for anything, it's not that it's worthless per se, but my interests have radically changed since I committed. Has anyone gone back to school for a second BA or BS?

The big question is why and what do you hope to do? If you want to work in another filed, it is possible to do so without another degree. As an example, Goldman Sachs doesn't necessarily care if you have a finance degree or not. They've hired a French Literature major to work as an IB.

If you do want to go back to school, then why not an advanced degree such as a Masters or MBA? Again, you don't necessarily need to have a related bachelors degree.

im looking to get into engineering. my current degree is not STEM. I can take pre-reqs for a master's, but the amount of pre-reqs will itself take 2 years or so then the actual masters degree. the only downside with this is that the engineering i focus on (looking at systems) is going to be much more narrow than doing it undergrad style.

Or skip the process altogether and start your own business, honestly at the rate the college inflation is, by the time you graduate, it's going to require a lot more education for the same jobs.

Get experience working as a consultant and make connections, get experience, it's honestly way better than beginning the process of school again.

Edit :If you're doing engineering then yeah, go back to school.

Life is good

Quote: (07-28-2014 11:34 AM)simondice Wrote:  

Or skip the process altogether and start your own business, honestly at the rate the college inflation is, by the time you graduate, it's going to require a lot more education for the same jobs.

Get experience working as a consultant and make connections, get experience, it's honestly way better than beginning the process of school again.

Edit :If you're doing engineering then yeah, go back to school.

I wouldn't bother for anything else, but you cant really learn it on the job

I'm guessing your american so you should try LEAPs at boston university. It basically crams a BS and MS together and you go straight to a MS of engineering in your choice.

Yeah that's why I edit my last post

Life is good

My advice to you is make absolutely sure it worth it and you know exactly what you will use your degree for. But if your interests have changed and your degree is not worthless you can also see what kind of jobs are available to you.

Personally, I'm going to get my Master's degree next year, but only doing so because 1. my dad is a gulf war veteran and has the Hazzlewood act which is like the G.I bill in Texas it pays up to 150 credit hour-more than enough for a masters degree all I have to pay for is supplies and daily living expenses. And 2. I have plan of were I want to work and have several business plans that i'm currently working on to execute after I get some money saved and networking done.

I suggest you take inventory and make sure you know why your getting this degree, that you can afford to pay for it, and you have an idea of were you want to work and if you eventually want to have your own business, self-employed, or become a freelancer .

I graduated in 2012 and went back this past fall to get a second bachelor's. I regretted the decision almost immediately. Like you, I also went back for engineering. Almost all of the advice I read beforehand recommended NOT doing this, and I did it anyway. If you do decide to go through with it, make sure you have an exit strategy if it doesn't work out.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

Quote: (07-28-2014 08:15 PM)Sweet Pea Wrote:  

I graduated in 2012 and went back this past fall to get a second bachelor's. I regretted the decision almost immediately. Like you, I also went back for engineering. Almost all of the advice I read beforehand recommended NOT doing this, and I did it anyway. If you do decide to go through with it, make sure you have an exit strategy if it doesn't work out.

can i ask what went wrong?

Quote: (07-28-2014 01:16 PM)Anthony A. King Wrote:  

My advice to you is make absolutely sure it worth it and you know exactly what you will use your degree for. But if your interests have changed and your degree is not worthless you can also see what kind of jobs are available to you.

Personally, I'm going to get my Master's degree next year, but only doing so because 1. my dad is a gulf war veteran and has the Hazzlewood act which is like the G.I bill in Texas it pays up to 150 credit hour-more than enough for a masters degree all I have to pay for is supplies and daily living expenses. And 2. I have plan of were I want to work and have several business plans that i'm currently working on to execute after I get some money saved and networking done.

I suggest you take inventory and make sure you know why your getting this degree, that you can afford to pay for it, and you have an idea of were you want to work and if you eventually want to have your own business, self-employed, or become a freelancer .

if i cant get it on the cheap (my state school has a really good engineering school), im not going to bother. if i can get while avoiding taking on debt (quite possible, also a lot of my previous bachelor credits may transfer), then i dont see why not. im not doing anything else overly productive here

Depending on your field, you're better off just getting a (marketable) masters. Masters is often a lot quicker/easier than a bachelors.

Why do you want to go back to school for an engineering degree?

I don't know if this would be of interest/applicable to you, buy you could look into doing ROTC. They'd pay for everything, plus give you a stipend. Now, of course you'd have to serve 3-4 years in the military but you're doing engineering stuff either way. You won't make bank, but it has it's perks.

Something to think about, especially if $$$ is an issue.

thanks for all the responses. i think im gonna go for a masters through a transition program for non STEM majors. now i just gotta see if the price is right