rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hearing loss tinnitus night game being over 50

Anyone over 40 ? 50 ? Hearing loss ? Tinnitus ? I have bad hearing loss and tinnitus starting in 1996 at age 33--now I am 51 and both are getting worse...Very serious as I am now really starting to have issues with communication which affects my game immensley..Hearing aids are not far off :-(....So my nightgame is limited to the streets, 7/11's, cafe's, coffee shops, night markets, quiet bars, lounges and resteraunts are the way to go for me...Clubs and anywhere with live music are 100% out even with ear plugs...Acoustic or unplugged music 100% ok and I love that..So I get really depressed when I read about nightgame on here..Anyhow I hate drinking--alcohol is bad bad bad--it supresses REM sleep which causes hangovers, it dehydrates you, is bad for your skin, messes with your libido etc., etc...Even if my hearing was ok I would still hate bars and clubs...Thoughts feedback appreciated..And any of my over 40 Los Angeles brother hit me up...I have been to Fils 1x, Thailand 3x, Europe once, and have studied with some of the best PUA/s :-)

I've got hearing loss and Tinnitus (hough I'm in my mid-thirties). these days I'm pretty awkward in clubs.

You've seem to have adapted though. When 40+ Night clubs is a diminishing market and you should be leveraging areas where an older man is instantly in more respect. Hotel bars, seminars, work situations (though dont' shit were you eat) and higher order social functions like the Del Mar Racetrack.

I am an animal rights vegan so no horse racing lol...Yes since I got back from Asia last month I have created an amazing varied life..Art events, meetups, tech events, animal rights, churches, Buddhism, driving for Uber, acting gigs, tantra, the gym, game at Whole Foods, street game, even game at 99 Cents, store, radios show, acting gigs :-)
I've got hearing loss and Tinnitus (hough I'm in my mid-thirties). these days I'm pretty awkward in clubs.

You've seem to have adapted though. When 40+ Night clubs is a diminishing market and you should be leveraging areas where an older man is instantly in more respect. Hotel bars, seminars, work situations (though dont' shit were you eat) and higher order social functions like the Del Mar Racetrack.
[/quote]

Quote: (07-24-2014 03:42 PM)newarrior Wrote:  

Anyone over 40 ? 50 ? Hearing loss ? Tinnitus ? I have bad hearing loss and tinnitus starting in 1996 at age 33--now I am 51 and both are getting worse...Very serious as I am now really starting to have issues with communication which affects my game immensley..Hearing aids are not far off :-(....So my nightgame is limited to the streets, 7/11's, cafe's, coffee shops, night markets, quiet bars, lounges and resteraunts are the way to go for me...Clubs and anywhere with live music are 100% out even with ear plugs...Acoustic or unplugged music 100% ok and I love that..So I get really depressed when I read about nightgame on here..Anyhow I hate drinking--alcohol is bad bad bad--it supresses REM sleep which causes hangovers, it dehydrates you, is bad for your skin, messes with your libido etc., etc...Even if my hearing was ok I would still hate bars and clubs...Thoughts feedback appreciated..And any of my over 40 Los Angeles brother hit me up...I have been to Fils 1x, Thailand 3x, Europe once, and have studied with some of the best PUA/s :-)

There is more than one cure for tinnitus. Some are more voodoo than others. But there are various angles of attack.

One is magnesium. Eat more porridge.

http://www.tinnex.in/index.html?option=co...d=927:diet

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/articl...-ears.html

And eat less of the Marmite with its http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxicity

Glutamates. MSG. They don't tell you that it is in there but it is. I need Marmite for its complex of B vitamins. But the shit it contains is a minefield. A little is good. Too much is bad

This is where it is better to be a meat eater. Sorry, I just eat fish, so am semi-vegetarian.

Having failed that, forget about diet. Go out to a loud club and blast your ears with music. Not recommended. But worked for me.

There are also other ways of testing your ears and finding out what frequency your tinnitus is at. That can then be counteracted by giving the opposite of the frequencies. Not talking about wearing a masking device here, but just identifying the frequencies, and undergoing a course of alternate frequencies. Many people report it has a therapeutic effect.

But I might have got things mixed up or even wrong, don't take anything I say with any seriousness.

I will just say, I nearly went mad once with tinnitus. And I cured it. When every one said it was not possible. I still have it now and again, but meet it like an old friend. I produce music and my hearing is better than most people.

You should see an audiologist if you are having trouble hearing. They will either recommmend a hearing aid or not.

Hearing loss is pretty common though. Most people will get it. Men more so due to the fact they are usually involved with loud things. For example, if you have a gas powered lawn mower, then you should be using hearing protection when using it. The average decibel level is between 90-100 for those and mowing your lawn for 30 minutes to an hour is enough to cause noise induced hearing damage.

Similarly, sports stadiums are another place where noise induced hearing loss occurs. Take for instance the battle of loudness that happened between NFL teams last year where they tried to set the noise level record. The decibels levels were in the 130 and at that level your hearing is instantly damaged.

Then factor in loud clubs, which can average 90+, and live music. Hearing damage is pretty common. It's not uncommon for people to have mild to moderate high frequency hearing loss and not really notice it.

Unfortunately hearing loss is progressive and as of now there is no cure or treatment to restore the hearing you lost.

I don't mean to e-whore, but these two organizations I donate to and they are researching cures...
http://www.hearinghealthfoundation.org/
http://hearinglosscure.stanford.edu/

Also for tinnitus there is no cure. None of the herbal supplements have shown to be effective.

There are programs one is TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) and the other is neuromonics for people with severe tinnitus, but they do not work for everyone though. These aren't cures though.

I could type out more for tinnitus but that's it for now.

Quote:Quote:

Also for tinnitus there is no cure. None of the herbal supplements have shown to be effective.

This isn't 100% correct. There's no cure for tinnitus that comes along with noise-induced hearing damage (IE you went to too many rock concerts). If it has another cause, however, and it sometimes does, it can be eliminated by removing that cause. For instance, sometimes it's caused by taking medicine, or TMJ. Stop taking the medicine or correct the TMJ, and it'll go away. If you've got serious jaw pain or muscle spasms in your face as well, you may want to look into this.
A fairly well-regarded ENT at a major research hospital also told me that melatonin supplements have been shown to be effective in reducing, though not necessarily eliminating, tinnitus. He may have been mistaken, or his knowledge may be out of date, but the stuff's harmless anyway, available at any drugstore, and is dirt cheap, so it may be worth a try.

It can also in some cases be induced by sleep apnea. This is very rare, but it does happen. If you're tired, overweight, and snore a lot, get yourself checked out at a sleep clinic because as much as tinnitus sucks, the ultimate consequences of untreated sleep apnea are even worse.

tl;dr If you have tinnitus and you don't know WHY you have it, get yourself checked by a doctor because there may be (possibly) a way you can improve your situation. In either case, you have my deepest sympathy, and I hope your symptoms improve.

Quote: (07-24-2014 05:42 PM)Faust Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

This isn't 100% correct. There's no cure for tinnitus that comes along with noise-induced hearing damage (IE you went to too many rock concerts). If it has another cause, however, and it sometimes does, it can be eliminated by removing that cause. For instance, sometimes it's caused by taking medicine, or TMJ. Stop taking the medicine or correct the TMJ, and it'll go away. If you've got serious jaw pain or muscle spasms in your face as well, you may want to look into this.
A fairly well-regarded ENT at a major research hospital also told me that melatonin supplements have been shown to be effective in reducing, though not necessarily eliminating, tinnitus. He may have been mistaken, or his knowledge may be out of date, but the stuff's harmless anyway, available at any drugstore, and is dirt cheap, so it may be worth a try.

It can also in some cases be induced by sleep apnea. This is very rare, but it does happen. If you're tired, overweight, and snore a lot, get yourself checked out at a sleep clinic because as much as tinnitus sucks, the ultimate consequences of untreated sleep apnea are even worse.

tl;dr If you have tinnitus and you don't know WHY you have it, get yourself checked by a doctor because there may be (possibly) a way you can improve your situation. In either case, you have my deepest sympathy, and I hope your symptoms improve.

There are many cures for tinnitus. You should never give up if this problem affects you.

It is very likely that you will never cure it and that you will always suffer from it. But that is not definitely the case. People with very bad cases of tinnitus have cured them, maybe not totally so, but often in a way to make a big change to life.

When you are suffering from this, you think you are the only person in the world that has ever been there, then you realise there have been others that have suffered worse than you and cured it as well.

Don't ever give up on this untill you have gone the full rounds with people that can help you. Then, sometimes, you will find that is it, you can't be helped. But I bet you, the majority of you, will be able to bring this within manageable control.

My tinnitus was so bad I had to wear ear plugs to wash the dishes coz I could not stand the pain otherwise. No help for me. So I went out to a nightclub with blaring music and nearly half-deafened myself. Somehow I could hear properly in the morning. This is not recommended for everyone, but..

It worked for me.

I also realise how many people that have this problem are in fear and can't accept any kind of solution.

I only give my words for example. Just some food for thought. That is all.

Hearing loss is a bigger issue but thanks
Quote: (07-24-2014 04:42 PM)Rigsby Wrote:  

Quote: (07-24-2014 03:42 PM)newarrior Wrote:  

There is more than one cure for tinnitus. Some are more voodoo than others. But there are various angles of attack.

One is magnesium. Eat more porridge.

http://www.tinnex.in/index.html?option=co...d=927:diet

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/articl...-ears.html

And eat less of the Marmite with its http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxicity

Glutamates. MSG. They don't tell you that it is in there but it is. I need Marmite for its complex of B vitamins. But the shit it contains is a minefield. A little is good. Too much is bad

This is where it is better to be a meat eater. Sorry, I just eat fish, so am semi-vegetarian.

Having failed that, forget about diet. Go out to a loud club and blast your ears with music. Not recommended. But worked for me.

There are also other ways of testing your ears and finding out what frequency your tinnitus is at. That can then be counteracted by giving the opposite of the frequencies. Not talking about wearing a masking device here, but just identifying the frequencies, and undergoing a course of alternate frequencies. Many people report it has a therapeutic effect.

But I might have got things mixed up or even wrong, don't take anything I say with any seriousness.

I will just say, I nearly went mad once with tinnitus. And I cured it. When every one said it was not possible. I still have it now and again, but meet it like an old friend. I produce music and my hearing is better than most people.

Quote: (07-24-2014 06:08 PM)Rigsby Wrote:  

My tinnitus was so bad I had to wear ear plugs to wash the dishes coz I could not stand the pain otherwise. No help for me. So I went out to a nightclub with blaring music and nearly half-deafened myself. Somehow I could hear properly in the morning. This is not recommended for everyone, but..

It worked for me.

That is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard. Loud noise is one of the causes of hearing loss and tinnitus. You self-inflicted loud noise (based on..what? a hunch?) and claim it cured you.

OK, maybe next time I burn myself I'll cauterize the wound with a hot iron!

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Just an FYI that tinnitus and hearing loss don't always go hand-in-hand and the tinnitus doesn't necessarily get worse as you age.

I've had it since I was about 24. In that time, it's remained constant. It was probably caused by either a flu, ear congestion, or lung problems, depending on which doctor you believe.

And yet over the ensuing decades not only has my hearing not gotten worse, it's improved. My ex used to joke I had the ears of a dog. When we worked in the same office, I could tell when she was walking to my desk without looking up from my keyboard because I could recognize the tone of her footsteps.

I can also hear when an MP3 is playing the slightest bit off-pitch or when the treble has been lopped off. When the Beatle CDs were reissued in 2009, I was the only writer who noticed the entire "top end" of the sound spectrum had been rolled off by the Abbey Road gang. Compare "She Said She Said" on vinyl and CD and notice the absence of cymbals on the latter -- this is indicative of all the recordings, but most can't tell. I could also hear that this absence of treble on these CDs affected the sound of the harpsichord in "For No One" -- Paul's triads because two-note chords because the top note of each chord is muted thanks to their crappy, revisionist EQ. And don't get me started about the "breathiness" of the vocals being gone from "Sun King." If you wanna hear it right, get mint vinyl.

(Needless to say, it also drives me crazy that no one else can hear all this, even when I play them a side-by-side with the vinyl. I feel the CDs EQ completely ruined the Beatle oeuvre, making it sound dull and muting the dynamics. Others are like "lah-de-dah, these CDs are great!!" This pushes me to the brink of insanity. How can people not hear how bad those discs sound?!?)

There is a school of though that says some people have tinnitus because their brain is so finely attuned to sound that it allows them to hear things other can't. So maybe the docs were wrong and this is really what's up with me.

So if you have this, it's not the end of the world. It worried me a lot when I was young, but my hearing stayed OK and I continued to go to concerts and live normally. If you call hearing the smallest of small details in CDs living normally.

@Faust

Yes, there might be certain physical abnormalities like tmj and bone growth in the ear that once corrected can eliminate tinnitus. However, for a vast majority of people tinnitus is idiopathic. Which is to say, it spontaneously occurs. Some are lucky and can point to a cause like a gun shot, or a concert, ototoxic medication, or other things along those lines. But then there are people who will tell you one night or one day it just started out of the blue.

I can see melatonin helping if those people cannot sleep well enough and the melatonin allows them to sleep. SSRIs have also shown to reduced the severity of tinnitus, but they don't cure it.

I agree that if someone has tinnitus or symptoms of hearing loss they should get checked out.

@Rigsby

There is no cure. There is a process called habituation which allows someone to only hear their tinnitus under a specific circumstance, i.e. listening for it intentionally or being reminded of it. Look up William Shatner and tinnitus. He was suicidal over it but underwent Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT).

Many people habituation to tinnitus and completely forget about it.

Also the description of being sensitive to clanging dishes isn't tinnitus. That's called hyperacusis. It's not uncommon for people to get tinnitus and hyperacusis together. Especially if they get severe tinnitus.

@DaysofBrokenArrows

You're right that tinnitus and hearing loss do not go hand in hand. However, most people that go to an audiologist or an ENT and complain about tinnitus do have some degree of hearing loss.

The two popular theories about tinnitus is that 1) hair cell death causes tinnitus and 2) It's essentially a brain problem.

I got hit really hard on the head recently and it fvcked with my spine, it was almost as if someone turned the volume up from 0 to 100... For a couple weeks there I could hardly walk around outside without having serious ear aches. I had to stick balled up tissues in my ears to muffle the blast from the street... I don't recommend it but there is something in your head that can be turned on and off like a switch. My hearing used to suck, I went to REALLY loud electronic music parties as a kid... now I need people to talk quietly to me. Crazy right?

I've got horrible tinnitus in both ears. If I think about it too much, it drives me crazy so I'm in a constant state of ignoring it.

I was wondering if it would be possible to regrow the damaged tissues and replace them....

I've had it since I was a kid, I think after I had spinal meningitis but I don't know.

God, I would give anything to have some relief.

Quote: (07-25-2014 11:37 PM)BadWolf Wrote:  

I got hit really hard on the head recently and it fvcked with my spine, it was almost as if someone turned the volume up from 0 to 100... For a couple weeks there I could hardly walk around outside without having serious ear aches. I had to stick balled up tissues in my ears to muffle the blast from the street... I don't recommend it but there is something in your head that can be turned on and off like a switch. My hearing used to suck, I went to REALLY loud electronic music parties as a kid... now I need people to talk quietly to me. Crazy right?
That might be hyperacusis. I would recommend trying to find a qualified Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) clinician and see what they say. I say that because they usually know more about it than an ENT. It's very possible if it's hyperacusis that you can be back to normal with the right protocol.

Quote: (07-26-2014 01:53 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

I've got horrible tinnitus in both ears. If I think about it too much, it drives me crazy so I'm in a constant state of ignoring it.

I was wondering if it would be possible to regrow the damaged tissues and replace them....

I've had it since I was a kid, I think after I had spinal meningitis but I don't know.

God, I would give anything to have some relief.
Like I said earlier you can try things like Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) or Neuromonics. People also do other things like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and other things. However, TRT and Neuromonics is expensive could be around 4-5k and they do not work for everyone. There are instances where tinnitus has bothered people for years and then they go through stuff like TRT and it doesn't bother them anymore.

The only thing I would recommend is donating to places like Standford's initiative to cure hearing loss (SICL), The hearing health foundation (HHF), the american tinnitus association (ATA), and the tinnitus research initiative (TRI).

I donate most to the SICL and the HHF. I think hearing loss research will probably show more insight into tinnitus at a point than tinnitus research.