rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Forum Reminder: Don't Use Textspeak in Your Posts [UPDATED]

I've been seeing a significant spike in textspeak in forum posts in recent weeks. Rather than continue to send out minor warnings (20%), I thought a global announcement would make more sense. This goes out mainly to some relative newbies and less-seasoned members who are the major violators, though--like other bad forum habits--can sometimes afflict senior members too.

Don't use textspeak in your posts. Not only is it in Rule 1 of the Finalized Forum Rules, it's often ambiguous, annoying, and inconsiderate to your fellow forum members, who put in the effort to write thoughtful and well-written posts.

Some samples of textspeak I've seen in recent days: The list goes on.

Cogent, considerate writing is one of the things that keeps up from becoming the very iPhone-addicted, semi-illiterate American broads we enjoy ridiculing as a matter of course. Let's keep it that way.

[Image: attachment.jpg20149]   

Previous Forum Reminders

UPDATED: The Importance of Good Thread Titles

If you want to share a news link...

Forum Reminder: Use the Search Feature Before Posting a New Thread

Reminder: posts cannot be edited or deleted... EVER

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Tbh, I use btw now and then, tho imho it's not so bad as long as you don't do it all the time ofc. Idk what the solution is!

Just kidding [Image: lol.gif] This is a good reminder.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

I don't mean to be a stickler here, but most of those examples listed are widely used and understood acronyms, not the more obnoxious word butchering we all love to hate.

To be fair, the rules specify - "don't use textspeak"...so if acronyms have been prevalent amongst users, well, the confusion about the ruling has been demonstratively evident.

And just to be clear here, are we eliminating all acronym usage? i.e.:
  • FSU
  • SEA
  • SMV
  • DHV
  • IRT

The term "FSU" is well-past its used-by date anyway. It doesn't make any sense describe a country as part of the "former Soviet Union" considering that countries like Tajikistan, and Estonia now share very little in common economically, politically and culturally.

The CIS (Commonwealth of Independent States) covers a much more homogenous set of countries.

I think the only text speak I ever use is "lol"
I don't like using it, but its a easy way to show you found something amusing.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (07-26-2014 07:01 AM)Windom Earle Wrote:  

And just to be clear here, are we eliminating all acronym usage? i.e.:
  • FSU
  • SEA
  • SMV
  • DHV
  • IRT

Of course not.

The difference between accepted forum ("industry") acronyms like the ones you've listed and standard textspeak should be obvious. The benefit of the doubt generally goes to the poster (especially established ones), but the slippery slope of posts looking more and more like chick texts needed to be addressed.

There have been several occasions where I had to go look up some text speak thing that I read on the forum. It's annoying.

Quote:Quote:

[Image: attachment.jpg20149]

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

K.

Wald

Loving the shoutout Tuth

Honestly I was kind of taken aback at getting a warning for that, but now that I think about this this probably will only help me. I've got a horrendous habit of using textspeak in blog posts and even school papers occasionally. All subconscious at this point. Fucking phones man.

As long as I can still use my artistic and abstract ways to describe porking sorority sluts then I'm all good.

U​ of Roosh Class of 2420

That was an honest mistake on my part. I blame America.

Bumping this thread to highlight a couple of important addenda to the list above.
  • Using no apostrophes ("Im," "isnt," "cant")
  • Writing in 100% lowercase letters ("i cant say that new york was good for rachel bilson")
These are quickly moving into the top spots for most common violations. "I post on my phone" is no excuse to write like a 17-year-old chick with 7 iPhones.

Quote: (08-24-2014 01:48 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Bumping this thread to highlight a couple of important addenda to the list above.
  • Using no apostrophes ("Im," "isnt," "cant")
  • Writing in 100% lowercase letters ("i cant say that new york was good for rachel bilson")
These are quickly moving into the top spots for most common violations. "I post on my phone" is no excuse to write like a 17-year-old chick with 7 iPhones.

You know, normally I would say these are some draconian laws, but after seeing the way most people write, this is a gift from heaven.

Life is good

Quote: (08-24-2014 01:51 PM)simondice Wrote:  

You know, normally I would say these are some draconian laws, but after seeing the way most people write, this is a gift from heaven.

Exactly. I'm no grammar nazi--and this is no place for that even if I were--but there are some basic writing courtesies that keep the conversations here at a certain level. Most (though certainly not all) of the problems, as I say in the OP, are coming from newer (and frankly younger) posters.

Quote: (08-24-2014 01:55 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Exactly. I'm no grammar nazi--and this is no place for that even if I were--but there are some basic writing courtesies that keep the conversations here at a certain level. Most (though certainly not all) of the problems, as I say in the OP, are coming from newer (and frankly younger) posters.

Perhaps you could include a list of some acceptable abbreviations, OP.

Some abbreviations like CIA or NSA are obviously ok. But others may not be.

Wald

Quote: (08-24-2014 02:00 PM)Walderschmidt Wrote:  

I'm not going to write a style guide or acronym glossary for the forum. Just don't write like you're an autistic teenage girl or rapper and you're good.

As I say above, this isn't a crackdown on acronyms--especially widely accepted ones. It's a corrective on a very significant spike in text-like posts. You're educated enough to know the difference.

The question one should ask oneself when making abbreviations is, will this make things easier for the reader? Are you shortening your words to improve readability or because you're a lazy fuck?

Also, if you're gonna start a thread and link to something, give some explanation of what you're going on about. I'd like to not see anymore posts that read like this in their entirety:

"So what do you guys think?"

Quote: (08-24-2014 02:07 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Quote: (08-24-2014 02:00 PM)Walderschmidt Wrote:  

I'm not going to write a style guide or acronym glossary for the forum. Just don't write like you're an autistic teenage girl or rapper and you're good.

That thread hurts my brain.

Wald

Unrelated but I've been wanting to ask this…how does one post a picture? I've tried attaching photos, but it hasn't worked for me. Thanks.

Quote: (08-24-2014 04:54 PM)CRR Wrote:  

Unrelated but I've been wanting to ask this…how does one post a picture? I've tried attaching photos, but it hasn't worked for me. Thanks.

Copy image URL, paste it into the box highlighted in red. Should be good to go.

[Image: fffcc2a5-46bb-4b64-a38a-2a08939be4b5_zpsc3763e77.jpg]