rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

[Fitness]Paid weightloss programs. Helpful? Or Just a trend?

Had a discussion with the opposite gender about her wanting to switch workout routines and leave the gym.

So I asked her if she's done any other get fit quick programs and she's told me she's done the following:

P90X

Insanity

Zoomba (purposefully misspelled)

Hip Hop Abs -Sean t

Crossfit

At the gym she's done various other classes, which I don't care to list.

So now she wants to do a Netflix style of workout called Daily Burn which is 9.99 a month.

The amount of cash she's spent overall for these programs and gym membership she could have bought her own equipment and be set.

"I just wanted a different routine"

[Image: wtf.jpg]

Btw. Still not happy where she's at despite all of these programs.

I've tried Insanity before. It was good initially, but I wasn't a fan of jumping around all over the place. Felt kinda silly to me.

Anyway, the amount of money spent on these programs to be socially fit is astounding. While I applaud the people for doing something to get in shape I don't see the overall benefits of doing these programs compared to just traditional exercises with some increase of intensity and reps over time.

Thoughts? Would like to hear them.

Yeah, this shit makes me laugh. A fool and his(her) money.... Plus like you say you look stupid.

Weights and diet will get you fit and cut quick. No need for all this crap.

Respect to the marketing guys who get people to pay for being told what to do.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

One of the best and most efficient ways to make money in the US is through legal exploitation of people's insecurities.

This is why the fitness industry is valued at billions. Everyone want to be fit, but at the same time they're too lazy to hit the gym and instead look for the easiest way out. This is what led to creations of products like the shake weight, ab belt, sauna suit, etc.

I used to work in a gym as a membership salesman. After only a few weeks I had become adept in the art of subtly bringing out people's deep rooted insecurities about their bodies and effectively motivated them into buying a membership. It's not like I'm doing them a disservice, since a gym membership is great, but it made me realize just how many people in this country do have a desire to get fit. There are just varying degrees of how hard they wanna work for it.

Getting back to the topic: it's all in the marketing with these fitness gimmicks. A well funded marketing campaign will yield results for pretty much any stupid fitness equipment bullshit they're gonna sell.

For the 10% of us who know that it all boils down to weights, some cardio and good diet, it shouldn't be much of a concern.

U​ of Roosh Class of 2420

A pull-up bar is all that is needed to get fit.

An olympic barbell is all that is needed to get strong. (Plus plates and a squat/bench rack)

No need to spend anything but if you have money to burn spend it on a lifting coach or nutritionist who's worked with lifters. Just make sure they're legit - both a coach and especially the nutritionist should be able to provide you with plenty of referrals from high level amateur if not professional athletes.

Quote: (07-21-2014 08:44 PM)JustJay Wrote:  

haha, good find!

Andrew WK's the man! Professional party all the time workout!

All those fitness programs are total crap. The only thing money needs to be spent on is a gym membership. Its still hard to believe that people fall for these hypey "Lose Weight" fast programs and supplements, but all whats needed is to hit the gym regulary (4-5 times a week) with a good regiment of weightlifting and running, Drink lots of water and watch what you eat (because thats 75% of the battle).

The results will start showing in due time as long as you are Consistent with those things.

Quote: (07-23-2014 04:16 PM)coolmike Wrote:  

All those fitness programs are total crap. The only thing money needs to be spent on is a gym membership. Its still hard to believe that people fall for these hypey "Lose Weight" fast programs and supplements, but all whats needed is to hit the gym regulary (4-5 times a week) with a good regiment of weightlifting and running, Drink lots of water and watch what you eat (because thats 75% of the battle).

The results will start showing in due time as long as you are Consistent with those things.

Damn right. You don't even need to bother with the running to get cut and strong. Although if you have time for it, it can 'put the cherry on the top of the cake', so to speak, in terms of building a good body and endurance.

People just want their hands held and someone to say, 'follow me, this is the easy way to do it'.

It's laughable. But never mind- this is what keeps us in the top 10% of men.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

A lot of people know deep down that it takes a lot of effort to get in shape but are loathe to expend any more than is absolutely necessary.

Quote: (07-24-2014 03:29 AM)Hades Wrote:  

A lot of people know deep down that it takes a lot of effort to get in shape but are loathe to expend any more than is absolutely necessary.

thing is, nobody wants to lift weights. When i think that i have to squat 100 kg, i don't have a smile on my face. The thing is, that you start lifitng and then you get this hormonal release (dopamine?idk) that makes you crave more in the future. people just need to start doing something.

Quote: (07-24-2014 05:53 PM)Wreckingball Wrote:  

thing is, nobody wants to lift weights. When i think that i have to squat 100 kg, i don't have a smile on my face. The thing is, that you start lifitng and then you get this hormonal release (dopamine?idk) that makes you crave more in the future. people just need to start doing something.

This is very true, as I'm sure we all know from experience. If they can stick at it for a solid month, I guarantee even the most exercise averse would be looking forward to the next session.

I get nervous before a heavy squat session, and I'm only at 90KG. Then you get the endorphins from lifting, and if you succeed in pushing your work weight the whole set, the endorphins from the success.

If someone could package those feelings in a little pill, it would be a big seller. Trouble is, we know how fucked up anti-depressants are. So folk should really just stop looking for the quick fix and start lifting. For me, lifting is the quick fix.

Quote: (07-25-2014 12:27 AM)roberto Wrote:  

This is very true, as I'm sure we all know from experience. If they can stick at it for a solid month, I guarantee even the most exercise averse would be looking forward to the next session.

I get nervous before a heavy squat session, and I'm only at 90KG. Then you get the endorphins from lifting, and if you succeed in pushing your work weight the whole set, the endorphins from the success.

If someone could package those feelings in a little pill, it would be a big seller. Trouble is, we know how fucked up anti-depressants are. So folk should really just stop looking for the quick fix and start lifting. For me, lifting is the quick fix.

At 100Kg in squats (5x5) I'm not that much ahead of you. I am scared before I get the bar on my back, because I know it's.. well heavy and I also know that it's gonna be a bitch to get that shit up. But i feel good after, and relieved as well when I finish squatting.
For me lifting has been helping with my body figure and strength (mental as well). If i feel good after, even better.

I actually have a smile on my face when I do heavy legs...but that's just me. And and important thing to remember too is don't just do "something" otherwise you will be where this chick is, finding a "better routine that works for you".

Learn form, discipline, and diet, and you will be unstoppable.

They have several excellent and free work out plans on bodybuilding.com. Just ignore it when they try to plug their supplements, and it works out quite well. The only supplements you need are protein powder and multivitamins. I also take creatine for the heck of it (I can get it from my friend for like 8 bucks). I did Kris Gethin's 12 Week Trainer thing and I got good results.

I've been working with an online trainer for my nutrition+training for 15 months.

It's worked very well for me.

[Image: photo_1.jpg]

[Image: photo_2.jpg]

Quote: (07-22-2014 04:23 AM)Hans Dix Wrote:  

One of the best and most efficient ways to make money in the US is through legal exploitation of people's insecurities.

This is why the fitness industry is valued at billions. Everyone want to be fit, but at the same time they're too lazy to hit the gym and instead look for the easiest way out. This is what led to creations of products like the shake weight, ab belt, sauna suit, etc.

I used to work in a gym as a membership salesman. After only a few weeks I had become adept in the art of subtly bringing out people's deep rooted insecurities about their bodies and effectively motivated them into buying a membership. It's not like I'm doing them a disservice, since a gym membership is great, but it made me realize just how many people in this country do have a desire to get fit. There are just varying degrees of how hard they wanna work for it.

Getting back to the topic: it's all in the marketing with these fitness gimmicks. A well funded marketing campaign will yield results for pretty much any stupid fitness equipment bullshit they're gonna sell.

For the 10% of us who know that it all boils down to weights, some cardio and good diet, it shouldn't be much of a concern.

No doubt.

All boils down to discipline, really.

Quote: (08-01-2014 07:22 AM)Krusyos Wrote:  

Just ignore it when they try to plug their supplements, and it works out quite well. The only supplements you need are protein powder and multivitamins. I also take creatine for the heck of it

That reads pretty ironically... [Image: lol.gif]

You don't need any supplements with a good diet. That said, I don't always practise what I preach and have been known to take Zinc.

Do you rate creatine? Because I don't much care how much I lift so long as it's more than last time. If creatine only provides gains whilst I'm taking it, then I'm out.

There are online nutrition coaches that are well known in the lifting circles, that I'd recommend to people who are already consistent and doing at least half right.

But your woman suffers from exercise ¨ADHD¨. This condition affects people who after getting the initial small results from a new program (new stimulation to the body will force it to adapt somewhat) subconsciously realise that they need to put in a lot more effort to get more results. She needs a therapist and a kick up the arse, not online trainers.

Btw guys, saying ¨nobody wants to lift weights / squat¨ is very wrong. Once you've been bitten by the iron bug, you will love lifting weights. Monday is my heavy squat day, and I have all the enthusiasm of a child getting new toys as I look forward to getting under the bar.