rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How important is a decent car?

Background, I live about an hour outside a small, but decent city (as far as culture and women go). I commute an hour, and I basically spend a shitload of time in my car.

Currently I drive a pyle of crap old diesel VW. This car is not cool at all unless you happen to be into old vw's (read, old hippy dudes and some very hippie women, not really my type)

I can get away with driving such a pyle because I am a mechanic and have my own personal shop at home, and it saves me a lot of money (48mpg and very cheap to own)

HOWEVER....I feel like a mega chode driving this thing around. Its horrible. Ratty paint, mismatched wheels etc.

I am considering buying something a bit better, currently looking at a 2006 audi a4. I am very familiar with audis, and its a pretty sick car for the price ($6500)

I am on a pretty tight personal budget since I own a house and pay for everything myself....am I a fool for stepping up my car game? It would surely make me feel a bit less like a chode rolling in something nicer.

I don't really NEED a better car for any practical reasons other than I wouldn't mind feeling like less of a douche.

Besides the basics of being reliable and getting you from point A to point B safely (and affordably?) then everything else about a car is an accessory. You want to feel good about what you ride around in, and you want to get noticed? Getting new wheels would be a smart move. A4's of that body style look pretty sharp, but I gotta say, especially as someone who wrenches, I'm surprised you want to spring for an 8 year old Audi (presumably with high miles considering the low price).

Those cars are money pits once they get a lot of miles on them. Shit breaks and it's expensive. If you want European I would recommend a Mercedes. If not then get a Cadillac, Lexus, or Infiniti. Classy, sleek, and status-symbol cars.

here is my actual car in question, its actually rattier than it appears in this picture.

[Image: DSCN0555_zps715d2513.jpg]

car that I am considering upgrading too (yes, I know some people think wagons are gay, I"ve had them before and loved them)
[Image: 00z0z_8fNX23vuB8q_600x450.jpg]

What do you mean it's not cool? These diesels run forever.

Sounds like all you need is a little bit of paint correction and detailing, swap out the mismatched rims, cosmetic stuff like that.

Says the guy who is happy driving a 1997 model truck with almost 180.000 miles on it.

Quote: (07-17-2014 02:55 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Besides the basics of being reliable and getting you from point A to point B safely (and affordably?) then everything else about a car is an accessory. You want to feel good about what you ride around in, and you want to get noticed? Getting new wheels would be a smart move. A4's of that body style look pretty sharp, but I gotta say, especially as someone who wrenches, I'm surprised you want to spring for an 8 year old Audi (presumably with high miles considering the low price).

Those cars are money pits once they get a lot of miles on them. Shit breaks and it's expensive. If you want European I would recommend a Mercedes. If not then get a Cadillac, Lexus, or Infiniti. Classy, sleek, and status-symbol cars.
great points.

As for getting an audi vs other euro, I have been into them for 10 years, owned MANY built several into high horsepower monsters, and worked on many more. So, I am comfortable with the level of work they require. Also, I really like to have AWD since I literally live on a mountain and it snows a shitton here. And for whatever reason, I never really like the style of mercedes of any generation.

Quote: (07-17-2014 03:01 PM)WD-40 Wrote:  

What do you mean it's not cool? These diesels run forever.

Sounds like all you need is a little bit of paint correction and detailing, swap out the mismatched rims, cosmetic stuff like that.

Says the guy who is happy driving a 1997 model truck with almost 180.000 miles on it.

I just hate the mk2 style of VW, I know some people actually love them, but I do not. I am currently building a classic audi 90 quattro with a TDI engine in it, but its taking me a long time to complete it. Its just as old as the jetta, but much cooler in my opinion.

It's like style, if you own it your fine with whatever. I agree having one that stands out helps, but that could be an old mint condition Dodge 600 worth $800.

I've never been a car guy at all, so I have no qualms about driving an older less stylish 4-banger. That said, obviously awesome new cars are sweet.

Edit: I suppose it's a little different than style because the cost is so high...but I've seen so many guys in sweet cars who were broke. I suppose it tells a chic one of two things, "I have money and appreciate my car" or "I don't have money but who gives a fuck I will someday". Yeah maybe it matters.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

I have a e46 touring I've been using as my shop car a wagon comes in real handy. My next car will be an Audi A3 2.0 t. They're a little high right now as I want one but the second I buy one the prices will drop 50% so I'll keep you informed.

4dr cars just don't look right to me but wagons do.

I say upgrade and quattro/turbo

Quote: (07-17-2014 03:01 PM)MtnMan Wrote:  

Quote: (07-17-2014 02:55 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

great points.

As for getting an audi vs other euro, I have been into them for 10 years, owned MANY built several into high horsepower monsters, and worked on many more. So, I am comfortable with the level of work they require. Also, I really like to have AWD since I literally live on a mountain and it snows a shitton here. And for whatever reason, I never really like the style of mercedes of any generation.

So you deffinitely seem to know your way with Audi's then. I say go for it in that case - it's a no brainer. Audi's are sharp as hell, the AWD is really nice (I personally could not own a non-4-wheel drive vehicle), and they are nice to drive. I endorse.

Quote: (07-17-2014 03:05 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

I have a e46 touring I've been using as my shop car a wagon comes in real handy. My next car will be an Audi A3 2.0 t. They're a little high right now as I want one but the second I buy one the prices will drop 50% so I'll keep you informed.

agree man, I prefer wagons over 4 door sedans.

yes, the one in question is quattro/turbo/6 speed. Wouldn't get anything else.

But would this car get an alpha pass if I posted it in the "is my ride beta?" thread?

Sure because that's what I want so naturally it's 100% alpha.

Quote: (07-17-2014 03:16 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Sure because that's what I want so naturally it's 100% alpha.
proof of 100% unbiased judgments
[Image: icon_lol.gif]

dude if you drove one of these around Silverlake you'd have tons of hipster pussy being thrown at you, especially since you work on your own car.

Wagons are lame unless you're talking an old toyota cressida that you take camping n shit, def not a chick magnet.

For girls, all that matters is your car is clean, it runs, and it's mostly free of dents or visual scars. Drive what you enjoy. The only cars that are gonna get you laid are once you get above the $80K range.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

A nice ride is always good, for no other reason than feeling like the shit while you drive around.

I have a yellow '07 FJ Cruiser with alot of aftermarket and wouldn't have it any other way.

Just get a car you love, that suits your personality.
The self confidence and good feels you get from loving your ride, is worth more than whatever chicks think when they see it.

I was torn between it and a similar year Audi TT and went with the FJ because I spend a lot of time outdoors/hiking/etc.
Best choice ever.

Quote: (07-17-2014 03:05 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

El Mech, I got a question for you.

Why the fuck are Land Cruisers so expensive? A 4runner or a sequioa can do the same thing for less cash.

Sometimes I wonder why people buy Land Cruisers instead of a Lexus or Range Rover...the price isn't much of a difference.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Quote: (07-17-2014 02:38 PM)MtnMan Wrote:  

HOWEVER....I feel like a mega chode driving this thing around. Its horrible. Ratty paint, mismatched wheels etc.

(snip)

I don't really NEED a better car for any practical reasons other than I wouldn't mind feeling like less of a douche.

I'm in the same situation, with older cars I maintain and couldn't care less what they look like or what everyone else thought about them. I've been hearing shit about it from family and friends for years. Fuck them, every dollar I don't spend on a car is more money for vacation and adventure.

How about an older classic, like a 944 for an early example or something else 1996 or later for the OBD2, like mech said an E46. Keep the VW for commute and the new thing for dates/road trips.

If you're feeling like a douche because of your ride, fix the minor cosmetic shit, and then refocus your money and attention on whatever floats your boat. Who cares about the daily commuter box.

good thoughts guys....the more I ponder it the more I think its a dumb move. I'm fairly strapped financially (ex left me to pay mortgage alone). I enjoy my place, so i dont think I want to sell the house, but it leaves me pretty poor.

I am fixing up an old audi quattro that I am swapping a TDI diesel into, and I personally think that car is MUCH cooler than the VW. So I am just going to finish up the old audi, sell the VW and continue rocking the old german classics.

Like engineer said, every dollar I dont spend on a car is another dollar I have to go traveling or whatever.

So in conclusion, I DO need a cooler car, I already own it, I just need to get off my arse and finish it up.

Cars don't matter nearly as much as you think they do. (Except when you own lambos or stuff like that and you can directly pull with it) I have a 700$ car, 1998 Ford Taurus. Hood is bumped up, doesn't even lock anymore. Windows don't work.

So far no girl has complained, because I don't make a big deal out of it. I just tell them to get in and that's it.

I think the car thing has so many variables.

Your age is important; nobody's gonna mind a teenager/early 20s guy driving any old POS.

As you get older though you need something congruent. It doesn't have to be expensive, just congruent.

I think car discussions can sometimes essentially be the same as the old don't buy a girl a drink stuff…an excuse for meanness to disguise financial concerns over such a purchase.

I am 30 and an engineer, so people are surprised when I roll in a junker. I think my next car, even though its old, will be much better since it is in much nicer shape, and is getting basically restored.

I think what I am driving now is just a bit lower than what it should be.

Quote: (07-17-2014 08:36 PM)MtnMan Wrote:  

I am 30 and an engineer, so people are surprised when I roll in a junker. I think my next car, even though its old, will be much better since it is in much nicer shape, and is getting basically restored.

I think what I am driving now is just a bit lower than what it should be.

Just keep the car looking stock (okay paint, matching wheels, no "hood rich" accessories) and you're good to go.

My daily driver is a 10 year old Camry and people never look at the age because.....it's spotless clean! Even the guy at the auto parts store was impressed.

Wash it and vacuum it once every 2 weeks and you're good to go.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

my 2 cents on a car and getting girls

a regular car (unless its a lambo or ferarri) will not help get a car. In fact a lambo or ferrari will not help you get the girl either unless u have swag - because i know this total loser who drives a lambo and cant get a girl for shit.

HOWEVER, a cool car will help you KEEP a girl. Girls love to brag to their friends "oh yeah he's got this cool car that he loves and it's really sporty and fast and new and a cool color." But this doesn't mean much cause theres a million other things girls can brag about u to their friends than a car. Then it reaches a point with how congruent you are where girls just flat-out EXPECT you to be driving a cool car.

If u want a new car get it because u want to drive it, not for anything else.

Coilovers + BBS rims. On the VW. nuff said.

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas

Unless you drive this, you cannot get laid.

[Image: SxTjikG.jpg]

I guess it depends on how much you are into cars. I assume your into cars since your a mechanic so if you get a lot of joy out of a car, and you spend a lot of time driving then by all means it may be worth it to you to step up your car game.

If your talking strictly from a perspective of picking up women or getting a car women would like don't buy a car for that reason.

Personally I'm not really that into cars. I want a car thats comfortable to sit in and drive and clean as I spend a lot of time in my car and also use my car as kind of an office on the go but I just drive a hyundai elantra. I think anything that has a good paint job nad decent interior will do the trick. there's cars I woulda rather bought over my Elantra but from a gas mileage and warranty perspective I was simply going for economy over cool factor.

I don't think most women are that swayed by cars, at least not cars like an Audi or a BMW, how many retail employees at the mall drive those and pay the $500 carnote with their enttire check, they just don't have that wow appeal so unless were talking really impressive cars it's not worth the money for a beamer cuz most people won't be all that impressed anyway.

I actually think your car is pretty cool, I like old VW'ss and man if you put a biodiesel conversion kit on it which I imagine you could probably do fairly easily you could probably get a pretty penny for it. I agree your car isn't the prettiest and like you said roughter than the pics do justice. Honestly I'd drive it into the ground or if you want to get something nicer I'd go for like a 8 or 10 year old accord or something like that. I've never been a fan of the Audis and BMWs and stuff. My dad owned a few and it was constantly problems some big many small