rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Post-Squat Headache - 5 days later?

I was doing a high intensity leg workout on Saturday - slow cadence, going to failure, etc. Was close to the end of the workout and hit a set of hack squats real hard. I know the key is breathing and I was making an effort to breathe, definitely wasn't holding my breath, etc. But I felt a small headache come on after the set. I went ahead and played it safe and ended the workout at that point.

The problem is, 5 days later, I haven't worked out at all but I'm still feel the dull ache in my head. It ebbs and flows throughout the day.

I've done some research into this - "exertion headaches" - but there's lots of conflicting information out there. Has anybody have a post-squat (or any lift) headache that stayed with them like this? Is there anything else I can do besides give it time?

My diet and hydration are both on-point.

This shit is really annoying because I was just starting to hit my stride going to the gym again after being out for nearly 3 months due to a neck injury. Any tips / relevant experience is appreciated.

Try some caffeine and chocolate. How's your sleep?

Really you should see a neurologist. Neck injury + any kind of neurological symptom is bad news.

Drink a lot more water. Helps me a lot.

Take fish oil?

A few suggestions that might be totally off base but might be one hits the spot:

1)If hack squats imply machine then switch to normal (proper) barbell squats. Find which variation (hi-bar, low-bar or front squat is best considering your neck problem)

2)Start with lighter weight after a 3 month pause. Actually drop your ego and start from an empty bar, like a beginner. Unlike abeginner - add more weight per every next session, to reach your real weight faster but not too fast and definately not instantly.

3)Watch Eliot Hulses videos on youtube's channel "strengthcamp" about proper neck posture while squatting, proper breathing and general structural integrity of the whole body.

4) Get out of city and breath in fresh air.

5)Sleep at night, be active during day. Sleep enough.

6)Try handstands to make blood flow into your head if it gets stuck in your legs. Maybe you also have varicose veins?

Currently working through this myself. There's really nothing you can do except give it rest... had mine over two weeks ago while doing heavy squats, but still had it flare up again yesterday despite doing only light upper body exercises. This article is the best I could find on the subject. Unfortunately, it seems like it can keep you on your ass for a decent length of time.

Listen guys a chinese chiropractor just cured me of some massive damage to my head... you might want to check and see if you've given yourself a spinal injury.

Weird, my head is feeling fine today. I think it just needed a week.

I think the key takeaway is I wasn't being as on-point with my breathing as I need to be for high intensity lifting. I need to literally force myself to breathe constantly. I might have messed up and had a breath get "caught" when trying to bust out a final rep. I'll wait another couple days and go lift again, but just be smarter/conservative and not as life-or-death as I was.

I don't feel heavy squats are worth it anymore. Puts too much of a toll on legs (sick doms) and your spine and knees. Unless you just really want to compete in squats, why do them at all, except maybe some triples or front squats instead. I feel like if you do a sport then your legs will get the workout they need. All these programs with squats 3 times a week is way overdoing it imo. Just gives you too much pain and tiredness.

@beserk - I feel you - I plan on sticking to the machines for going heavy- hack squats, leg press for going heavy. Correct me if you think I'm wrong but I don't think those have anywhere near the risk as barbell squats. I'll still do some reps with front squats, and trap bar deadlifts but not really go too heavy/intense - mainly for the posture/work the stabilizer muscles that don't get worked on the machines.

I notice a big difference my posture, BJJ with my guard, and just overall feeling powerful/athletic when I've been working legs. So I do want to maintain some intensity there.

Sounds like a tension headache.

Observe yourself throughout the day.

Are you unnecessarily tensing up your neck and shoulder muscles...?

You might be surprised...

Had those, it was a breathing problem, I was breathing right but something was wrong in my neck muscles, which affected my breathing without me noticing.

Solution : breath extra-heavy and go light on your workouts for the next weeks.

Poor thoracic mobility (pretty much everyone who sits down a lot is affected) could cause tension headache while squatting esp the low bar style.

it might be a tumor

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV