rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The all things douchey thread

I've been looking up some different brands of dress shirts online. I was checking out some shirts with a different pattern fabric on the inside of the cuffs and collar.

I stumbled upon a thread on a style forum while googling and they were calling this style "douchey". It never crossed my mind that it come across that way especially if you do it subtly.

What do you guys think? What other things would you consider questionably douchey?

Team Nachos

Any polo shirt with a popped collar. Pair it with bermuda shorts and you're a walking stereotype!

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

Don't forget the white framed sunglasses [Image: dodgy.gif]

Team Nachos

It was cool, 6-7 years ago?, when not everyone was on it, but Robert Graham and the other department store brands ran with it.

Contrast Trim

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBERT-GRAHAM-10...339154f38e

It's either very Italian or very Hong Kong.

They do it with Ties too.

http://generalknot.com/collections/neckties

[Image: attachment.jpg19573]   

WIA

Quote: (07-06-2014 10:50 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I've been looking up some different brands of dress shirts online. I was checking out some shirts with a different pattern fabric on the inside of the cuffs and collar.

I stumbled upon a thread on a style forum while googling and they were calling this style "douchey". It never crossed my mind that it come across that way especially if you do it subtly.

What do you guys think? What other things would you consider questionably douchey?

Space Dandy?

[Image: tumblr_n7ibw9E9tU1tccao4o1_500.jpg]

So Mr Archie Style Guru to the stars ...pick out some new dress shirt styles for me [Image: lol.gif]

Team Nachos

It depends why you want the shirts. If you want them for work, you would be better off with something more subdued. If you want shirts for going out or casual wear, wear what you personally find attractive and comfortable on your body. Clothing snobs aren't always good looking, sociable, or even well dressed, and you have no idea who's commenting on a style forum. Could be the lamest people in the universe, could be Alexander McQueen.

No harm in a little contrast...it's not like you'd be wearing Ed Hardy.

Pocket Square Explosions

[Image: tumblr_n3d56gPoPQ1s5kpbpo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n5c3y5dViT1spg8fto1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n4x6npmU511snsaoko1_1280.jpg]

Quote: (07-06-2014 11:15 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Pocket Square Explosions

[Image: tumblr_n3d56gPoPQ1s5kpbpo1_500.jpg]

It looks like he's about to pull a rabbit out of his pocket.

That's some gay dudes pulling off some style trolling. Haha

Team Nachos

Quote: (07-06-2014 11:11 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

So Mr Archie Style Guru to the stars ...pick out some new dress shirt styles for me [Image: lol.gif]

Right now, I like gingham, big and small.

[Image: tumblr_n7sz1mDbfE1s24zpuo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n5a1wkZLcF1r93jooo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m93xm36xWm1qdxoa9o1_1280.jpg]

Club Collar/Short Collars/Short Oxford Collar/Button Down

[Image: tumblr_n6h3j5lI1P1qc1ogno1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n50e4hU3hW1qc1ogno1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n7crfchANi1qlvrxko1_1280.jpg]

And this is some G level stuff, not a gingham, but a subtle check

[Image: tumblr_n7h9i8u0DA1rkdemgo1_1280.jpg]

Back to douchey.

It's a guy designer trying to get all Ice Berg, but going Disney-ish. I forget his name, but Cartoons are his big motif.

[Image: tumblr_n7mjlhu9kv1s7t05ao1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n7dowp8Ge31rw59xto1_1280.jpg]

And this fucker standing up

[Image: tumblr_n7p2fkTfMg1ratsilo1_1280.jpg]

I have too big of a neck for that spread collar style. I wear 18 1/2 36/37. Plus I hate ties.

I'm thinking about finding a shirt guy and going custom if I can keep it under a bill a shirt.

Team Nachos

#menswear douche

I like this entire get up, but the dude looks tres douche.

[Image: tumblr_n768nv4kOF1scbh3so1_500.jpg]

Quote: (07-06-2014 11:26 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I have too big of a neck for that spread collar style. I wear 18 1/2 36/37. Plus I hate ties.

I'm thinking about finding a shirt guy and going custom if I can keep it under a bill a shirt.

Under a bill?

Good luck. But all custom/bespoke/made-to-measure ends up costing either more money or a lot more time.

Meanwhile, I'm punching this out in a Pharcyde T-shirt and some jeans.

It's really too hot for most of dress shirts, unless you work and PLAY in an all AC environment. It is for me at least. Lotta dope sports coats I'd love to rock, but i'm just gonna be roasting in them bitches if I go to the wrong place.

WIA

Quote: (07-06-2014 11:34 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (07-06-2014 11:26 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Under a bill?

Good luck. But all custom/bespoke/made-to-measure ends up costing either more money or a lot more time.

Meanwhile, I'm punching this out in a Pharcyde T-shirt and some jeans.

It's really too hot for most of dress shirts, unless you work and PLAY in an all AC environment. It is for me at least. Lotta dope sports coats I'd love to rock, but i'm just gonna be roasting in them bitches if I go to the wrong place.

WIA

That's the problem I have. I'm humping all over Manhattan with my laptop bag. I keep my clothes thin and light for work.

Team Nachos

Right now

- camaros
- corvette sting rays
- dodge challengers

But since I'm in Texas, god damn towing mirrors, when the only thing you're towing is your ass to Cold Stone Creamery.

[Image: attachment.jpg19574]   

Quote: (07-06-2014 10:50 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Parlay, it looks like you didn't read through the entire thread:

"In all reality, it would probably improve his odds with 95% of women. It may be tacky when it comes to styleforum standards, but the public's (especially females) opinion of fashion is much less refined. If it was burberry, he'd probably have bar wenches by the 10s coming up to him saying omg I luv your shirt!"

The people on Styleforvm like very specific interpretations of classic English, Italian, and American style. If your style falls outside the "SF approved" wheelhouse then you will likely be met with criticism and snarky comments. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The Puritan hated bear-baiting, not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators. - Thomas B. Macaulay

Rick Von Slonecker is tall, rich, good-looking, stupid, dishonest, conceited, a bully, liar, drunk and thief, an egomaniac, and probably psychotic. In short, highly attractive to women. - Whit Stillman

It's pretty funny that you found the thread [Image: lol.gif] Are you a member there?

Anyway I dig the contrasting fabric style on shirts. I wouldn't go too flashy. Probably a solid color shirt with complementary print trim. Maybe a black shirt with white paisley lining in the collar and cuffs. I don't know. I'm not a style nerd.

Team Nachos

I like to keep it simple and non-pretentious with a nice guayabera.
[Image: mexican-wedding-shirt-300x330.jpg]

Quote: (07-06-2014 11:50 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Right now

- camaros
- corvette sting rays
- dodge challengers

But since I'm in Texas, god damn towing mirrors, when the only thing you're towing is your ass to Cold Stone Creamery.

You're in Texas? Man, I thought you were in the Midwest.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

I'll just be honest and say that think a lot of things are douchey. Pretty much anyone that follows an unflattering popculture trend just looks like a cunt. Ultra deep V neck shirts. Skin tight pants, especially ones that stop before the ankle. Boat shoes. Loafers outside your house. High-top sneakers. Snap-back trucker hats with token flat-brim. Bombastic sunglasses. Trucks with "balls" hanging from the trailer hitch. Dressing a certain way or doing certain things ironically.

Figure out what looks good on you and rock that. Be relevant but don't be a sheep.

Subaru STIs and Scion TC's. Maybe it's just where I live but these seem to be the typical douche ride these days.

Quote: (07-06-2014 11:25 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Back to douchey.

It's a guy designer trying to get all Ice Berg, but going Disney-ish. I forget his name, but Cartoons are his big motif.

[Image: tumblr_n7mjlhu9kv1s7t05ao1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n7dowp8Ge31rw59xto1_1280.jpg]

Anybody whom grew up with hip-hop in the late 90s/early 2000s can see the parallels. The cool thing now is square white kids from the burbs that are grown up now are basically just bringing all that stuff from the late 90s back. Jerseys, sports gear, oversized fitting, cartoon prints. It's obvious but nobody wants to admit it.

I just bought my first black v-neck t shirt...("I never really thought of myself as a v-neck kind of guy..."). It's not deep, but I do wonder if it's a bit too douchey.

Great idea for a thread, though! We need some more not-too-serious threads here.

If only you knew how bad things really are.