rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Doing Medellin solo

Doing Medellin solo

I am, for lack of better way to put it, the world's least social guy when it comes to game. I appreciate the value of social circle game, and I tend to do better when I embrace it, but in terms of me just being comfortable and doing my thing I almost always go everywhere solo. To the extent social game exists for me, it's either running into friends who also just happen to be out, or cobbling together ad hoc circles with whoever is around. Frankly, I tend to find social groups to be an impediment.

All of the MDE data sheets indicate this is going to be a problem for me.

My Spanish is good but not fluent. I am conversant with a patient partner who can tolerate the semi-regular, stammering grasp for big ideas and the occasional swing-and-a-miss on a far outside pitch handling the local dialect.

In terms of physical appeal . . . Hispanic women in the US tend to go flat-out dumb for me. I posted a barebones OK Cupid profile for a Miami trip a while back, and I ended up with more opportunities than I had time.

Am I simply liking the smell of my own farts, or is there some room for solo game in MDE?

Second . . . safety. Everyone says you don't want to be out in MDE alone at night.

I'm a night game guy, rolling solo. I manage my alcohol load well enough that when I hit sobriety checkpoints stateside at 3am I am at or near 0.00 BAC. I'm not a dumbass drunk begging to be robbed.

In my experience, other people everywhere don't want to fuck with me. I am 6'2" and a rather lean 270 pounds (picture something like an NHL defenseman or an NFL defensive end). I grew up rough. I project a quiet "if you don't fuck with me, everyone gets out alive" vibe.

How much do I really have to worry about in MDE at night, presuming I don't walk toward the sound of gunfire?

I have a location-independent business that requires my attention during much of the daytime, especially during the week. Night game is non-negotiable for me.

Is Medellin really for me?

Doing Medellin solo

Give it a try, but DO NOT underestimate the safety part. It's simple : They don't care if they have to put a bullet between your eyes, and you would not be the first time. They do not use fists. Or for example, if somebody starts problems with you, in Colombia they never go 1-to -1, you would see them scurrying out and bringing all their friends on you (calling the combo).

Doing Medellin solo

Quote: (06-30-2014 01:49 AM)Volk Wrote:  

Give it a try, but DO NOT underestimate the safety part. It's simple : They don't care if they have to put a bullet between your eyes, and you would not be the first time. They do not use fists. Or for example, if somebody starts problems with you, in Colombia they never go 1-to -1, you would see them scurrying out and bringing all their friends on you (calling the combo).

I don't really find Medellin to dangerous at all if you stick to the better barrios and clubs.

But Volk brings up a very good point. If you do some how piss off some Colombianos and think for a minute that you are just going to go outside and settle your differences in a brawl or with just your fists.... you are making a huge mistake. That whole concept of settling something with just a fight is a foreign concept to them.

Doing Medellin solo

If you're around Parque Lleras or Poblado, you should be pretty safe just about all hours. I walked home alone at any hour of the night. I did however get robbed, but I genuinely felt it was just the wrong place, wrong time scenario. I had been walking all around at 2,3,4 in the morning by myself, and never felt any danger for weeks.

Just don't go looking for trouble. Like the guys above said, if someone's going to get you, there's a chance they'll have a gun. I don't care how tough you are, you're not dodging any bullets. I got robbed at knife point. I legitimately think I could have kicked the shit out of the kid even with his shitty little Swiss army pocket knife, but to me it wasn't worth it. He got a wallet and maybe $30 max out of me. I don't really put myself in situations to lose things I'm not willing to lose. For example, I only bring out my debit card to get money out of the ATM. I never bring out my passport unless absolutely necessary. I bring out my driver license if I think I need ID. The only valuable possessions I carry on my are my clothes and accessories.

Colombians are very friendly people, so don't be shy. It seems just about any girl on the street will at least talk to you and be nice. Even if she wasn't into, it softens the blow where as in a place like Miami, a girl will just completely shut you down. By the way, I'm surprised you did so well with online dating in Miami. I tried and it just didn't seem worth it there. Shit, the whole US doesn't really seem worth online dating to me, at least the few places I tried. The only place I do online dating these days is while traveling.

Doing Medellin solo

As long as your comfortable infiltrating groups, you'll be fine, sounds like you are. Yes, everyone goes out in groups there, but even if you aren't travelling solo, 1 or 2 other dues doesn't make a group, and Colombian people are ultra friendly so I think flying solo in Medellin is better than going with, say, a sub-par gringo wing. Sounds like you're a big dude, you'll stand out, be cool to everyone and girls might not approach but will give you signs they want you to, and guys will be friendly and bring you in for drinks. Note: throw in for drinks but don't look like a sucker.

As far as safety goes, you'll be fine. Take taxis at night unless it's a very short walk in a nice part of town.

Doing Medellin solo

The only way to find out if Medellin is really for you is going there. You can ask question on the internet till your fingers bleed and you still won't truly know if Medellin is for you. I think as long as you keep your wits about you that you will have a fine time and see that Medellin could very well be for you.

At 6'2" and a lean 270lbs thats impressive... I can't picture someone thats 270 lbs and lean thats not like 7 foot tall.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Doing Medellin solo

"if somebody starts problems with you, in Colombia they never go 1-to -1, you would see them scurrying out and bringing all their friends on you"

Shit, sounds like my next-door neighbor growing up. He's currently doing life without parole because he and a group of friends stabbed a guy and torched his body.

"I legitimately think I could have kicked the shit out of the kid even with his shitty little Swiss army pocket knife, but to me it wasn't worth it. He got a wallet and maybe $30 max out of me. I don't really put myself in situations to lose things I'm not willing to lose. For example, I only bring out my debit card to get money out of the ATM. I never bring out my passport unless absolutely necessary. I bring out my driver license if I think I need ID. The only valuable possessions I carry on my are my clothes and accessories."

Okie dokie. So, standard procedure that every tourist should be following.

"That whole concept of settling something with just a fight is a foreign concept to them."

I grew up around a very specific bread of white trash, the type that when the police arrest them you see twenty guys in full tactical show up. To be honest, based on what your guys are saying, Medellin is starting to sound like home.

"At 6'2" and a lean 270lbs thats impressive... I can't picture someone thats 270 lbs and lean thats not like 7 foot tall. "

A lot of that is my dad's genetics. He was a 6'4", 210 lb farmboy and looked on the verge of starvation. It kinda sucks actually, because I have to bust my ass to fill out all, and I could never get truly swole. Except for having stubby and ridiculously thick legs, I have no clue where the hell all this weight is supposed to be on my body.

To summarize and to clarify that I'm getting the point . . .

MDE amounts to "don't be hero, don't be stupid". When the dude says "damelo" just give him the fuckin wallet and get on your way.

I'm assuming the greatest threat beyond tourist-centric street crime would be some Colombian guy taking umbrage to me speaking with his chick, right? I also assume that caveman game is practically begging for trouble, correct?

Doing Medellin solo

Quote: (06-29-2014 11:58 PM)mycleverid Wrote:  

Night game is non-negotiable for me.

Is Medellin really for me?

It sounds like it's not the right fit for you.

Medellin is both great and terrible for night game.

Great because venues are fun, social, affordable and have pretty girls. Terrible because they are group oriented and there's no one night stand culture.

At the end of a fun night, you can expect to get a few phone numbers. Sometimes leads will be a bust because you discover the next day she's married, has a boyfriend or just doesn't want to respond. Colombians like to live in the moment. Even if you meet cool people, you indicated you won't want to make the investment of time to see them again.

I love night game in Medellin, but it's not an efficient way to meet girls. When the weekend is over, you've had fun but you've got nothing to show for it.

If you use your free time at night to arrange dates online, you have a better chance to actually close the deal with girls.

Relationships are transactional in Colombia. To fully get a girl into you, you'll have to invest a lot of time into her. I can see it's going to develop into a stand off where you don't want to plan things with the girl and she doesn't want to get closer until you do that.

Doing Medellin solo

I just got back from MDE a few days ago. I've been there about 6 times in the last 18 months and a few of them have been solo.

Medellin it's pretty safe, as long as you don't venture into the dangerous areas. There are cops everywhere. Lleras, Barrio Colombia, Rio Sur, Las Palmas, etc.

Last week a girl robbed a friend of mine, she took his cell phone. He just said that to the police and they searched the girls (requizaron) and the whole taxi they were in.

You should always have your passport on you. I've been asked for it by the police and while they may let you go, if they want to, they can take you to the "comisaria" for not having it on you (if you don't have a cedula).

The place I feel the least safe when I'm there is in taxis. I feel the most vulnerable.

If you've never been you should learn some spanish. If you don't know any, your pool of women will be limited to prepagos and tourists. I have a social circle there and I've noticed that girls don't care much for tourists if they don't speak spanish. I've seen many tourists in parque lleras with a smile on their face, [probably] not knowing the women on their arms were prepagos.

Doing Medellin solo

"You should always have your passport on you. I've been asked for it by the police and while they may let you go, if they want to, they can take you to the "comisaria" for not having it on you (if you don't have a cedula)."

Would I be able to get away with using my passport card (the one that allows you to get into Canada overland)?

"prepagos"

I love that term, considering a "prepaid" is a cell phone in the U.S. Well . . . a shitty cell phone, anyhow.

I do tend to be a whore magnet everywhere I go. I don't look local anywhere I go, so they identify me at 100 meters away.

Please tell me that the whores in Colombia aren't as pushy as I've seen elsewhere. Based on the idea that some guys don't even know they're pros, it sounds like whoring is a different proposition in Colombia than in many other places.

"Relationships are transactional in Colombia."

So my patented system of barely acknowledging a chick, treating her like dirt, and then going full caveman on her may not work? Ah . . . damned American women messin with my overseas game.

"Colombians like to live in the moment."

And yet they don't have a ONS culture . . . hmmm.

I forgot to add: I can salsa dance. I frickin lerv salsa nights in the U.S. because guys here are total pussies about getting out there. I've never seen a salsa night in the U.S. that wasn't at least 70% women, and half of the men were part of a couple.

Doing Medellin solo

MycleverID, how long a trip are you talking about? That's probably important before we go further, Colombia is fantastic for spending a few weeks/months, but not so great for a week long trip trying to get as many ONS as possible.

Doing Medellin solo

I'm aiming for at least two weeks. I have plans with a friend in the U.S. in August that are going to prevent me from going longer.

Doing Medellin solo

Quote: (06-30-2014 12:35 PM)mycleverid Wrote:  

I'm aiming for at least two weeks. I have plans with a friend in the U.S. in August that are going to prevent me from going longer.

Smart move. The last time I went to Medellin, I went for two weeks. About my third day there, I got really sick, maybe the sickest I have ever been. A doctor gave me a prescription and I felt much better just a few days later. By the time I recovered, I still had plenty of time left in Medellin. Night game in Medellin is not a waste, but it is difficult to get more than a number that way. It's really easy to get numbers there with night game, though. Day game is your best bet and it's best to do it in areas other than Poblado.

Doing Medellin solo

"sickest I have ever been"

Know what it was?

I know my personal doctor stateside went monkey shit scheduling blood work for me when I told him I was going to Colombia and intends to hit me with everything in the arsenal before I go there.

"areas other than Poblado"

How bad is Poblado for game? Is it just that Poblado = foreigners? Is it a stuck-up bitches and money thing? Something else?

Doing Medellin solo

Quote: (06-30-2014 01:16 PM)mycleverid Wrote:  

"sickest I have ever been"

Know what it was?

I know my personal doctor stateside went monkey shit scheduling blood work for me when I told him I was going to Colombia and intends to hit me with everything in the arsenal before I go there.

"areas other than Poblado"

How bad is Poblado for game? Is it just that Poblado = foreigners? Is it a stuck-up bitches and money thing? Something else?

It was a terrible infection in my throat. I'm pretty sure I got it from drinking out of a glass at either Hard Rock Cafe or Hooters which wasn't very sanitarily washed.

Parque Lleras, which is in Poblado, is notoriously bad, due at least in part to there being too many foreigners. In other parts of Poblado, you will not see as many foreigners, although you will see more than in other parts of Medellin. I have had success during the day at Mall Santa Fe, which I believe is in Poblado.

Doing Medellin solo

Your doctor is a moron. There are no tropical diseases at 1600m in Medellin, except Dengue. It's more likely to get bitten by a hippo than getting dengue.

Doing Medellin solo

"get bitten by a hippo"

Pablo Escobar is the gift that keeps on giving back to Colombia, isn't he?

"Your doctor is a moron"

In his defense, he's concluded that I'm a degenerate who'll do anything. He's especially fearful of my tendency to try new foods without caring where they came from. I am a total culinary slut, especially when I travel.

Doing Medellin solo

Quote: (06-30-2014 05:47 PM)mycleverid Wrote:  

"get bitten by a hippo"

"Your doctor is a moron"

In his defense, he's concluded that I'm a degenerate who'll do anything. He's especially fearful of my tendency to try new foods without caring where they came from. I am a total culinary slut, especially when I travel.

You are not gonna catch anything from the Colombian foods. You would have to eat one of those after-hours Stadium shish made from cat to get anything, and I don't think you'd make it there at 11pm anyways.

Doing Medellin solo

Quote: (06-30-2014 06:16 PM)Volk Wrote:  

"get bitten by a hippo"

"Your doctor is a moron"

You are not gonna catch anything from the Colombian foods. You would have to eat one of those after-hours Stadium shish made from cat to get anything, and I don't think you'd make it there at 11pm anyways.
Anyone can get stomach bug when eating foreign food they aren't use to.

Doing Medellin solo

Quote: (06-30-2014 06:33 PM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

Quote: (06-30-2014 06:16 PM)Volk Wrote:  

"get bitten by a hippo"

"Your doctor is a moron"

Anyone can get stomach bug when eating foreign food they aren't use to.

Of course, still there's nothing your doctor can do to help you out if you "catch the stomach bug". Hell, I caught it in the 'states when I visited.

Doing Medellin solo

"Pablo Escobar is the gift that keeps on giving back to Colombia, isn't he?"

I doubt many would say that especially a doctor. People aren't too proud if him or of that time period. They tend to not talk about that period.

Medellin is no cake walk........ If you are going for a short time and solo, try online dating and line up a few girls. Very little mingling in clubs as most clubs have booths and tables with mixed sets.

Doing Medellin solo

"Medellin is no cake walk........ If you are going for a short time and solo, try online dating and line up a few girls. Very little mingling in clubs as most clubs have booths and tables with mixed sets."

This is what I keep hearing. In truth, I like a tough set. Easy scores are not my thing, and there's a bit of a bent appeal to me about that.

Also, I have other interests. Food is always a biggie for me. Pussy is fun, but I don't consider a city a real success unless I come back jacked to try to reproduce something I ate.

Doing Medellin solo

Quote: (07-01-2014 09:19 PM)mycleverid Wrote:  

"Medellin is no cake walk........ If you are going for a short time and solo, try online dating and line up a few girls. Very little mingling in clubs as most clubs have booths and tables with mixed sets."

This is what I keep hearing. In truth, I like a tough set. Easy scores are not my thing, and there's a bit of a bent appeal to me about that.

Also, I have other interests. Food is always a biggie for me. Pussy is fun, but I don't consider a city a real success unless I come back jacked to try to reproduce something I ate.

I would suggest researching restaurants before you go, because the local Paisa food, while fresh, is kind of bland and gets repetitive quickly. Better food can be found in Medellin, but you have to hunt for it. The place everyone seems to go in Poblado for typical food is Mondongo's on Calle 10, but don't expect to be blown away by it.

Doing Medellin solo

For food, check out Mu (it was previously named good fucking ribs) it has the best ribs I've had in Medellin. Also San Carbon, the best meat in town.

If you're in a hurry you don't have time to get out of your apartment you can order a domicilio (they bring you the food home for like $2,000 pesos which is like $1) http://www.domiciliosmedellin.com. The best one is Marios Pollo.

From 2am-6am when one has a time finding food, check out Mario Bros it's near Lleras.

Doing Medellin solo

@Pete: that's absolutely awesome, because there are going to be stretches mid-week where I'd prefer not to be away from the computer screen.

Is there much trouble getting them past hotel security?