rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to Keep Your Muscles Strong as You Age

http://online.wsj.com/articles/how-to-ke...=yahoo_itp

Muscle strength is one of the keys to healthy aging, yet after we achieve peak mass in our early 40s, it's pretty much downhill from there. Most people begin to lose modest amounts of muscle at that point and experience progressive deterioration as the years go by, especially if they are sedentary.

Now, with a growing population of aging baby boomers, experts are turning their attention to interventions to help stem the loss of muscle mass, quality and strength, known as sarcopenia. It is caused by a number of complex factors that are not entirely understood, including decreasing amounts of testosterone in men. Muscle decline often goes hand in hand with frailty, a decline of physical function that leads to falls, hospitalization and the need for nursing-home care.

Researchers are looking at promising treatments including inhibiting a naturally occurring protein called myostatin that curbs muscle growth. Pharmaceutical companies already have drugs in the pipeline that act by blocking myostatin or blocking the sites where it is detected in the body, potentially rebuilding muscle.

For now, however, the best medicine available to maintain muscle mass and strength is less complicated and costly—namely, exercise and a healthy diet. Yet about 60% of people over 65 are insufficiently active or overtly inactive, and many have poor nutrition, says Nathan LeBrasseur, a researcher who directs the Muscle Performance and Physical Function Laboratory and the Healthy Aging and Independent Living Initiative at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. Dr. LeBrasseur estimates that most people will lose approximately 30% of muscle mass over their lifetime, and as much as 50% by the time they reach their 80s or 90s.

Keep Your Motor Running

Muscle is also central to metabolism, or the rate at which fat and calories are burned, and can help improve resiliency to the stressors of aging, Dr. LeBrasseur says. By simply stepping up activity like walking, gardening and household tasks, "we can slow the loss and prevent crossing that critical threshold that leads to functional limitations and metabolic issues."

Chronic diseases such as diabetes, which inhibits the metabolism of nutrients in the body, are believed to contribute to age-related muscle loss, and older obese individuals with decreased muscle mass or strength are at special risk for adverse outcomes, according to research funded by the National institute on Aging. Related conditions include cachexia, a state of general physical decline and malnutrition associated with chronic disease and cancer, and wasting disorders that can be associated with nerve disease or injury.

There is still debate about how best to define and measure sarcopenia, and doctors caring for the elderly may not even be aware of the term, which was derived from Greek words for poverty of the flesh and was introduced in the late 1980s. Researchers have a better handle on frailty, a syndrome of decreased strength reserves, reduced resistance to physical and psychological stressors, and cumulative decline across multiple systems of the body, including the brain. A number of frailty scales are available to help doctors evaluate patients.

Jeremy Walston, a professor of geriatric medicine and co-director of the Biology of Healthy Aging program at Johns Hopkins University's Center on Aging and Health, says a major goal of research is to understand the complex interplay of molecular and physiological declines in multiple systems of the body with advancing age—a mix that may increase general vulnerability in frail, older adults. His team is studying changes in mitochondria, the energy-generating components of cells, and the impact of chronic inflammation in the body.

The Johns Hopkins researchers are also studying whether the drug losartan, commonly used to treat high blood pressure, can slow muscle decline in adults 70 and older, after promising results in mice.

More Protein

In addition to the mounting evidence of the benefits of physical activity in stemming decline, Dr. Walston says there is an emerging body of research that suggests older people should eat more protein, with a focus on leaner sources.

According to guidelines published in 2010 by the Society on Sarcopenia, Cachexia and Wasting Disorders, a nonprofit group, as many as 41% of women and 35% of men age 50-plus ingest less than the recommended daily allowance of 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight (0.36 grams per pound). The group recommends that total protein should be higher in that age range, or 1 to 1.5 grams per kilogram per day (0.45 to 0.68 grams per pound), spread equally through three meals.

The group also says low vitamin D levels are associated with low muscle strength, and supplementing it in those cases has been shown to increase strength and function and reduce falls. But it's best to talk to a physician before starting any supplements such as protein or vitamin D.

As for exercise, the group notes that resistance exercises can improve strength, while aerobic exercise can improve overall health and quality of life. The group recommends a combination of the two for 20 to 30 minutes three times a week.

Building Up Reserves

Evidence continues to show the benefits of exercise at any age. Last month, a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that an exercise program reduced the onset of major disability for at-risk older adults by 18% over about 2½ years. The study, the largest of its kind, was conducted by a consortium of major aging research centers and funded by the federal government.

Known as the LIFE study—for Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders—it compared a supervised, moderate-intensity physical activity program with a health education program on aging in 1,600 sedentary older adults. The activity portion included aerobic, strength, flexibility and balance training, based on individual levels of fitness, while the education arm had only limited focus on physical activity.

The study defined major mobility disability as the inability to walk 400 meters within 15 minutes without sitting, leaning against a wall, or getting assistance from another person or walker. Roger Fielding, a co-author of the study and director of the Nutrition, Exercise Physiology and Sarcopenia Laboratory at Tufts University, says the study shows that "even as we advance into very old age, physical activity can help preserve independence." The study group hopes to follow the subjects for three more years to gauge longer-term benefits.

There is some inevitability to declining strength and muscles in aging, "but whatever we can do to mitigate that by building up the health reserve can pay off in dividends later," says Karen Bandeen-Roche, another researcher at the Johns Hopkins aging center. "We can't say frailty can be prevented in all people, but we can compress it to a smaller proportion of the end of life."

Another blue pill article about aging that helps no one other than the most pathetic and useless.

This is how you stay fit after 40.

Quote: (06-23-2014 11:24 AM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Another blue pill article about aging that helps no one other than the most pathetic and useless.

Exactly...these mainstream "fitness" articles are geared towards dunces, lazy sacks of shit, and people who have never worked out their entire lives.

Relax Mike, not everyone is shooting testosterone up their ass. No reason to be so negative.

Quote: (06-23-2014 12:53 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

Relax Mike, not everyone is shooting testosterone up their ass. No reason to be so negative.

I am relaxed. I am direct and tot he point, but my resting heart rate remains at a cool, calm, and collected 58 beats per minute.

The article is garbage.

Any article that talks about anti-aging without mentioning testosterone and HGH is garbage.

End of story.

Quote: (06-23-2014 12:01 PM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

Exactly...these mainstream "fitness" articles are geared towards dunces, lazy sacks of shit, and people who have never worked out their entire lives.

They are also anti-science.

Not everyone has to go TRT. I've never said that.

But if it's not mentioned, then the article is trash.

"Hey, TRT works. It has side effects and what not and is not for everything. But look into it."

But those idiot reporters don't know shit about hormone optimization and even most doctors lack a proper understanding endocrinology (as the numerous men who have gone on TRT learned the hard way).

If you take care of yourself, there's no reason to decline after 40.

The key is a healthy lifestyle, diet, exercise, sleeping habits.

Men really don't peak until their 40s. The problem is that so many guys let themselves
go and get tied down that they prematurely age.

I'm now 50 and I've been lifting since I was 13 years old. Jack Lalanne will continue to be my inspiration. That dude was a bad ass well into his 90s. Does anyone know if he was on TRT or HGH?

When you're getting older it's easy to think that you'll keep grinding the workouts like you did when you were in your 20s and 30s. But your body will start telling you otherwise and give you a harsh bitchslap if you choose to ignore the signals. It's frustrating and tough to accept, but you have no choice if you want to stay healthy and injury free. I no longer do heavy weight for low reps but concentrate in the 10-15 rep range.

The D&P post about staying fit over 40 is right on the mark. You have to go easy on joints and tendons as they are less forgiving. Proper form and control of the weight are critical. No bouncing the weights. Adequate sleep is vital. In the past I heard it said that you need less sleep the older you get. I'm finding the opposite to be true. Also, alcohol has a far greater negative impact on sleep as compared to my 20s and 30s. There's less leeway on your diet and an innertube will form around your waist if you aren't careful.

The past year I've been dealing with muscle scar tissue in the forearms and shoulders. Before then it was never an issue and I had no idea that such a thing existed. At first I considered foam rolling to be the latest fitness gimmick, or just some device you'd see being hawked on a late night infomercial. Was I ever wrong! A visit to a physical therapist changed that idea fast. Foam rolling is now a huge part of my fitness routine and it definitely pays off. Hot/cold Massage balls are also part of my routine and they've help alleviate scar tissue pain.

The fit, older dudes at my gym say that they have to deal with aches and pains. But they add that those aches and pains would be far, far worse if they stopped working out.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

Quote: (06-23-2014 01:33 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

I am relaxed. I am direct and tot he point, but my resting heart rate remains at a cool, calm, and collected 58 beats per minute.

The article is garbage.

Any article that talks about anti-aging without mentioning testosterone and HGH is garbage.

End of story.

I beg to differ, I'm 59. If you've maintained a regular work out program kept up your protein and fats the decline is way slower. I'll also add that if you go heavy, you won't likely be in the gym much past your 40's without incurring injuries that put you out of the game for extended periods. I switched up to body weight and HITT routines about three years ago when an injury put me out of the gym for almost two months. Since then I no longer have any issues with joints or injuries, and my stamina is actually better now than when I was pounding the iron. I'm not as bulkly, but 185-190lb at 6'1" is a good look for me.

Right. You shouldn't go heavy. My uncle, who used to go heavy into his 50s, can't maintain his old workout regime anymore and suffers
a lot of aches and pains.

Once when I was 17 I was squatting with 315 lbs. and using poor form. On the last rep I tweaked my lower back. The next day I woke up as if nothing happened. If I did that today I'd be in a world of pain and out of the game for a few weeks. Today I avoid back squats and only do front squats with around 135-155 lbs. in the 12-15 rep range. The margin for error is much, much slimmer as one ages.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

What do you guys define as "heavy"?

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote: (06-23-2014 06:50 PM)RexImperator Wrote:  

What do you guys define as "heavy"?

It's all relative to the lifter, of course. For me, any weight that only permits 1-6 strict reps is considered heavy. Seven to 10 is medium, and 10-15 is light. This would be for 3 sets per exercise.

- George Carlin

Go take the time to listen Mikes podcasts. Your comment is completely ignorant of that material and advice is he putting out.

Id rather take first hand advice from someone who walks the talk and posts high quality material on here daily.

Mike gives a very balanced and well thought out view on steroid use and testosterone treatment. His advice is the best information I have seen on the subject.
Plus his podcasts cover a massive range of other topics.

Quote: (06-23-2014 03:32 PM)birdie num num Wrote:  

I'm now 50 and I've been lifting since I was 13 years old. Jack Lalanne will continue to be my inspiration. That dude was a bad ass well into his 90s. Does anyone know if he was on TRT or HGH?

For the record, this is what Jack LaLanne said about steroids:

Quote:Quote:

KING: Steroids? You ever take steroids?

LA LANNE: Steroids, I wouldn't take a steroid if you'd give me $10 trillion.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

The way people talk about steroids you'd think it was plutonium. Jack La Lanne was a great man...but even great men don't know everything.

The past year I've been dealing with muscle scar tissue in the forearms and shoulders.

1. For working through shoulder scar tissue, there is nothing better than the stick exercise. Here is an earlier post of mine about it. You can also read through subsequent posts in that thread to see that Blackwell, to whom I recommended this for a rotator cuff injury, derived massive benefits from it. It is a fantastic exercise -- do it exactly as shows in Sukie's video below.

link to the post

Quote: (03-28-2014 08:58 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

I want to emphasize once again the immense benefits of the rotator cuff stick exercise for general shoulder health and for both healing and preventing shoulder injuries.

I used to get more or less serious rotator cuff tweaks all the time from bench pressing and other movements. Now I never do and it's entirely because of this exercise.

I do sets of 50 of these -- yeah it sounds like a lot but you want to always be coming in a little with your grip as the set progresses. However, you don't need to start with 50. Do these religiously and your shoulders and rotators cuffs will be thanking you every day.

Here is a great thread that describes the exercise in detail, posted by the guy who basically invented it (the great Dante):

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=6997

And this is the absolute best video demo on how it's done. I posted it before but I'm doing it again because this demo is so good:

2. To work through forearm scar tissue, get the Armaid:

http://armaid.com/

It is the best tool, bar none, ever invented for forearm and hand health. I have used it and seen other people use it, and it is incredibly effective.

Here is a great video demonstrating its use:

You can heal these injuries and remove scar tissue mechanically by doing these two exercises -- the stick exercise for shoulders and the Armaid for forearms. Good luck!

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Quote: (06-23-2014 04:31 PM)lovejoy Wrote:  

I beg to differ, I'm 59. If you've maintained a regular work out program kept up your protein and fats the decline is way slower.

Beg to differ about what?

My point was that any story about anti-aging that doesn't cover actual anti-aging strategies is bunk.

Do you really differ with that? Do you hate science or something?

Quote: (06-23-2014 08:50 PM)Atlantic Wrote:  

Go take the time to listen Mikes podcasts. Your comment is completely ignorant of that material and advice is he putting out.

Id rather take first hand advice from someone who walks the talk and posts high quality material on here daily.

Mike gives a very balanced and well thought out view on steroid use and testosterone treatment. His advice is the best information I have seen on the subject.
Plus his podcasts cover a massive range of other topics.

Glad you like it, thanks. I always laugh at the juice monkey comments, especially since I actually post lab work and anyone who has read my answers to questions sees this theme, "It's a personal decision. Here are the guidelines. Decide what is best for yourself."

It's funny. I'm one of the only people who posts pictures and blood work and yet haters obey and read articles by anons or garbage reporters or people who are clearly are on gear but lie about it.

Some people want to be sheep and can't tolerate thinking for themselves. Well, that's most people.

Quote: (06-23-2014 09:11 PM)Menace Wrote:  

The way people talk about steroids you'd think it was plutonium.

Yeah, it's pretty funny how blindly the sheep follow their masters.

"Steroids will kill you overnight!"

Ok, but what about this guy who posts his blood work? He seems healthy - in fact, his blood work is better than yours.

"Lalalalalalalalalalala, I can't hear you."

Quote: (06-23-2014 11:00 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

The past year I've been dealing with muscle scar tissue in the forearms and shoulders.

1. For working through shoulder scar tissue, there is nothing better than the stick exercise. Here is an earlier post of mine about it. You can also read through subsequent posts in that thread to see that Blackwell, to whom I recommended this for a rotator cuff injury, derived massive benefits from it. It is a fantastic exercise -- do it exactly as shows in Sukie's video below.

Thanks, Lizard. I really appreciate that feedback.

- George Carlin

Quote: (06-23-2014 11:11 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Quote: (06-23-2014 04:31 PM)lovejoy Wrote:  

I beg to differ, I'm 59. If you've maintained a regular work out program kept up your protein and fats the decline is way slower.

Beg to differ about what?

My point was that any story about anti-aging that doesn't cover actual anti-aging strategies is bunk.

Do you really differ with that? Do you hate science or something?

The idea Steroids or HGH are a must for maintaining your health and muscles post 40.

Quote: (06-24-2014 11:08 AM)lovejoy Wrote:  

The idea Steroids or HGH are a must for maintaining your health and muscles post 40.

Except I didn't say that. Here is what I wrote: "Any article that talks about anti-aging without mentioning testosterone and HGH is garbage."

That doesn't make TRT a must. It means that you inform people and let them decide.

That's an obvious distinction to any clear thinker.

D&P has a great post on nootropics. As a man ages, cognitive decline is a real concern.

If someone doesn't me or my site, that's cool. D&P is not for everyone and most men aren't ready for it.

But don't lie or misrepresent what it (or I) am about.

Don't talk about me as if you know what I'm doing when you don't - since I post everything on my site and it's easy to know what I'm about.

P.S. I went off of TRT.

Keeping your muscles strong is easy!

Just use them! Work them. Challenge them.

I want to add 2 things to this discussion:

1) Variety -- Our muscles get used to doing the same exercises over and over again. It's important to occasionally change up our workouts. "Shock the muscles" by doing something new.

I like to rotate between body weight exercises -- free weights -- machines -- cables -- kettlebells -- plyometrics -- etc. (sometimes, all of the above in the same workout)

Doing the same workouts all the time gets boring to me, I mix it up not only for my body but also for my mind.

Keep it fun, fresh, and challenging!

I am currently doing a lot of "complex" barbell exercise like this:

2) Flexibility -- This is a very underrated aspect of mens strength training. Flexibility makes you stronger by loosening and elongating your muscles, tendons, and ligaments which allows your body to move in a full range of motion.

Flexibility also helps prevent injuries and speeds up recovery time.

I stretch everyday and do yoga a couple times a month.

As far as steroids, testosterone, hgh, etc.

I have no experience with these things so I can't comment.

But, as I get closer to 50, I will start to investigate and explore these things more and more.