rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Waking up early to lift!

Waking up early to lift!

Recently I've started waking up to workout in the morning before work.
This used to be impossible. I was a "oh I can't workout in the morning" type of guy. I felt like I was weaker in the mornings.

However, recently I changed this and now I practically only like to workout in the morning. One of the crucial things that is needed for me to be able to get up at 6AM and rush to the gym is a good pre-workout formula which jump starts my system. Without it I think I wouldn't be able to manage this.

The point is now I love it. I feel much better throughout the day, much happier and it frees up my afternoon to do other shit.
I also enjoy the quietness of the gym a lot. Only a handful of people walking around the gym makes it much more pleasing to be in there.

Any ideas on morning workouts vs afternoon or evening workouts?

Waking up early to lift!

Aren't testosterone levels at their peak in the early morning? I asked about getting a test at a hospital and they told me I had to come in around 8AM for that reason. Makes sense to lift in the morning then. Never did it. You could also consider lifting in the morning and doing sports in the evening. Would be interested in recovery if so.

Waking up early to lift!

It's more waking up the CNS that I'd have trouble with. I can barely move in the morning, let alone lift. OP, do you have to warm up longer than for an evening workout? Do you drink coffee beforehand?

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

Waking up early to lift!

I prefer morning workouts as well. Usually I'll start off with a shower, ending it with cold water, then I'll have coffee and a light breakfast consisting of a protein shake and some berries. If the cold shower and coffee hasn't woken me up, the walk to the gym will do it.

The problem I have with working out in the evening is that it gets difficult for me to fall asleep afterwards.

Waking up early to lift!

For me it's more about time management and the fact that my gym is too crowded right after work so i'd either have to go when it's crowded and have to wait for equipment Or then i could go really late after 9pm but then my whole day would be "waiting for the gym to clear". Much easier to get gym done right away in the morning and then go to work, giving me the rest of the day free to do whatever i want.

Waking up early to lift!

Quote: (06-18-2014 03:08 AM)dreambig Wrote:  

It's more waking up the CNS that I'd have trouble with. I can barely move in the morning, let alone lift. OP, do you have to warm up longer than for an evening workout? Do you drink coffee beforehand?

As I said it's all on the Pre Workout formula. Its like taking 5 espressos.
I cant move as well in the morning, but usually I drag myself out of bed and into the gym and take it before running on the treadmill for 5 minutes for it to kick in. After that I am a beast.

I also take ZMA sometimes before bed and when I do I guess it helps as well in the morning with the Testosterone levels high.

Forgot to mention I have also started going to bed early to be able to do this. Going to bed at 1AM to wake up at 6:30AM doesnt work very well obviously....

Waking up early to lift!

I'm a big fan of this. Unfortunately in my job field my work day starts at 5-5:30 am as the athletes I train start coming in to workout at 6. Which is great for them, but I usually end up lifting late morning to early afternoon when I have the time.

Waking up early to lift!

Funny, this morning I overslept and missed my chance to get to gym when it opens. I go to a community gym (real cheap, but lacks a lot of weights I should be doing). Only people there when it opens are skinny fat old people doing cardio, or extremely thin old people doing 1000 reps of 10 lbs.

Waking up early to lift!

I work out exclusively first thing in the morning, the key is in doing all your prep the night before.

Lay out your clothes
Measure out whatever powders you need and put into the shaker
Pack your gym bag
Have a shower
GO TO BED EARLY <-- sleep is not optional

Then just roll out of bed and run on autopilot.

I don't use preworkout, I don't do cardio style warmups, I go in, get changed, walk up to the equipment and do 3-5 reps with an unloaded or light bar before starting my routine. Get the form right and know your limits and injuries are rare.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

Waking up early to lift!

I think I'm going to try this. But not tomorrow [Image: lol.gif]

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

Waking up early to lift!

Quote: (06-18-2014 02:34 AM)Doc_J Wrote:  

Any ideas on morning workouts vs afternoon or evening workouts?

I've always done mornings because it makes it a priority and I'm not tired from doing other things or distracted. Plus, knowing I have to do other things afterwards means I'm less likely to waste time, and the overall gym mindset in the morning is also more business since people have to work afterwards. I tend to workout on an empty stomach (just water) and eat a good meal after the workout.

Waking up early to lift!

I'm going to give this a go tomorrow AM. I live rural, so I work out at home, but I have so many other things to do in the evening (especially in the summer) that this might be the ticket to keep my workout on track. Been dropping the ball since the weather got nice.

Waking up early to lift!

You guys underlined a good point.
Having to get to work afterwards makes me increase workout intensity and focus on the important routines. <- another plus.

I also go empty stomach and have a good breakfast after.

Waking up early to lift!

I have experimented a lot over the years.

I would rank it like this.

1. Evening (after 6pm)
2. Morning (5am-10am)
3. Noon/Afternoon (11am-5pm)

I have been doing morning for the past year now, but my best workouts were when I would lift in the evening. Don't get me wrong I still have good workouts and it is nice to get it out of the way early, but it's not as enjoyable as an evening session.

Evening workouts are so enjoyable for me because they are a great way to cap off a day, or to catch a second wind going into the evening. I would look forward to it all day, so by the time I got in the gym I was ready to crush it.

Afternoon sessions are the worst because I always feel like there are better things to be doing.

Waking up early to lift!

I had an early morning lifting schedule for awhile several years ago. I remember liking it because I felt super energized for the rest of the day. Getting in a hard workout before most people even drag their ass out of bed is a nice feeling. Once you adapt to that schedule it's very nice. The only drawbacks were having to train on an empty stomach and having to stretch/warm up more since your body is fresh from sleeping. Both fairly minor.

It's definitely worth trying out if you're a morning person. I'd especially recommend it to any guys who are stuck working a corporate job. Since you're forced to get up and in the office on their schedule anyway, you might as well wake up a little earlier and take care of your fitness before you go in. It's more fun to wake up in the morning and go to the gym than work, at least. Then you don't have to find the motivation to hit the gym after a long day at the office and can just chill when you get home.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Waking up early to lift!

Why not both? I work out in the morning and at night. If you throw in a light day here and there it's plenty bearable to lift twice a day, six days per week.

Waking up early to lift!

I tried this out this morning. Woke up an hour early (5:10). I basically rolled out of bed, did some gentle crunches and push-ups to get my heart going. Then did 5 sets of 10 pull ups and proceeded to bench press, curls and overhead press.

At first I was WEAK, and was struggling, but after a few sets I started to lift closer to my normal amount.

Not as bad as I thought, however mid day is my favorite time to work out. That is just impossible with my schedule. I don't like the morning thing very much, but its nice to get a workout in an have the evening to take care of everything else I need to do.

Waking up early to lift!

Morning workouts are great. If you're still at university it's your best shot at gaming the athletic girls without any competition.

I ended up working at my school's athletic center front desk senior year and it was a definite social goldmine.