rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What language should I concentrate on first?

There are quite a few languages I want to learn:

* Russian
* Indonesian
* Serbo-Croatian
* Bulgarian
* Greek
* German
* Hebrew

I'm not sure which one I should do first, so am reaching out to other RVFers for their advice.

,,Я видел, куда падает солнце!
Оно уходит сквозь постель,
В глубокую щель!"
-Андрей Середа, ,,Улица чужих лиц", 1989 г.

Unless you plan of traveling to a specific country, I would say Russian. It is the most useful on this list for women, business, and current events. Roosh actually provided a thorough explanation as to the benefits of Russian previously, placing it, along with Spanish, as one of the two foreign languages every American man should learn.

It really depends where your interests lie and what you hope to get out of it. Honestly, I'd say start with one of the romance languages since that set of languages has common roots and a lot of similarities. That way, if you learn something like Spanish you'll find it easier to understand Portuguese at the same time since the two have similar wordings. It's like a "learn one, understand many" paradigm; you won't necessarily be fluent in the others but you may at least be able to understand a conversational flow with them. Example: I learned Spanish when I was in high school and wound up serving as the middle-man between one of my non-Spanish speaking friends and a Portuguese man she was trying to talk to.

If you're dead-set on the language set you specified, though, your first one should probably be Russian or Greek if you're interested in Cyrillic. If not, start with German.

-Hawk

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

Quote: (06-07-2014 08:19 PM)Brian Boru Wrote:  

Unless you plan of traveling to a specific country, I would say Russian. It is the most useful on this list for women, business, and current events. Roosh actually provided a thorough explanation as to the benefits of Russian previously, placing it, along with Spanish, as one of the two foreign languages every American man should learn.

Your link's broken. It should point to:http://www.rooshv.com/two-foreign-languages-every-american-man-should-learn

В глубокую щель!"

Also, I have thought of learning French as well. But yeah, you're right. I might just do Russian first and see where that takes me.

В глубокую щель!"

While logically Russian makes the most sense (it probably competes with Indonesian as the most widely spoken on your list), as others have said: it depends. Which language do you have a burning desire to learn? Do you have a social circle where you can practice one language more easily over the others (e.g. do you live in a Greek neighborhood? Can you spend time living in one of the countries where the language is widely spoken?

Might want to spend a few pounds and buy the intro version of Pimsleur for all those languages. And after a month see which one hooks with you.

I would say definitely Indonesian.

On that list, Indonesian has the highest number of speakers. It is also the 4th most populated country in the world, and English penetration there is extremely poor. Also, by learning Bahasa Indonesia, you're also covering Bahasa Malaysia as they're basically just variants of the same language.

After that I would definitely say Russian.

However, most of the speakers of the other languages you've listed can also speak English, or are at least learning it. Those languages are really only useful if you plan on living/working in the country where it is spoken.

I wonder, is it possible to do two languages AT THE SAME TIME???

В глубокую щель!"

Quote: (06-07-2014 11:42 PM)fokker Wrote:  

Yes, it is certainly possible to learn multiple lanuages at once, particularly if these languages share similarities (either through common descent or through mutual influence). It goes withoug saing, though, that this requires far more work. However, I would recommend first getting a decent grasp of one language before moving on to another.

I would also recommend starting with the language that (1) interests you mosts and (2) whose native country you will have enough opportunities to travel to and whose native speakers you can have enough contact with. The only really efficient way to get good at a language is to use it on a regular basis. Studying grammar and vocabulary is important, too, but more as a suppliment to using and hearing it constantly.

I have learned French and while I am rusty now, I can pick it back up pretty well in a few weeks. I really want to learn Spanish for multiple reasons, plus I figure it will be very easy with my French knowledge.

Does anyone know what systems are good? I cant find any agreement when I search Google. Some say Rosetta Stone, others say other things, and so on.

I need to watch French films to get back into that.

Quote: (06-07-2014 11:42 PM)fokker Wrote:  

It is, but it will mess with your head a lot and you will think in the other language, if you dont slip and answer in the other language, all the time. I would not recommend it unless its your only focus at the moment.

I would try and concentrate on one language to start. I think if you try and learn too much it just gives you and excuse to fail. I've done a few pimsleur lessons in a few different languages and I found it way too distracting, I've quit until I can commit 100%

OP: From the look of it, you want too learn too many languages and for no specific reason. Classic case. You will probably end up learning none of them.

Others: ranking languages "usefulness" by number of speakers is completely useless. I can't count how many picked Spanish over lesser spoken languages because "it's spoken all over the world"... yet never actually got to even babble few words of Spanish in their everyday lives.

Quote: (06-08-2014 05:52 PM)Spede Wrote:  

OP: From the look of it, you want too learn too many languages and for no specific reason. Classic case. You will probably end up learning none of them.

Others: ranking languages "usefulness" by number of speakers is completely useless. I can't count how many picked Spanish over lesser spoken languages because "it's spoken all over the world"... yet never actually got to even babble few words of Spanish in their everyday lives.

1000% this. Languages take years of effort to learn, assuming you are targeting fluency.

Only learn a language if:

1) You have been to the country and liked it
2) You like the girls from that country (If you are a blonde guy, why the fuck would you learn Chinese? Just don't do it.)
3) You have a true interest in the culture

The "usefulness" is all subjective anyway. Spanish is spoken by a lot of people but that makes its price cheap. Knowing Danish could be a useful niche for the right guy.

If you just want to converse a little then discard the above and go knock yourself out.

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

Quote: (06-07-2014 07:22 PM)fokker Wrote:  

* Indonesian
* Serbo-Croatian
* Bulgarian
* Hebrew

I'm not sure which one I should do first, so am reaching out to other RVFers for their advice.

Do you have a specific reason for learning one of these languages? If you're not planning to move to the countries in which they are spoken or work as a translator, I would not recommend them until you have already mastered a second language.

German

I have a degree in this language. Many people recommend German because English is a "Germanic language" and German should, therefore, be "easy to learn." Nothing could be further from the truth. It is, like any foreign language, difficult to learn. I would also argue that because of the heavy influence the Romance languages have had on English, that Spanish would be easier (and more useful) than German for a native English speaker to learn.

Also, English penetration in the German-speaking countries is high so speaking German will at best be a novelty and probably won't help you get laid or paid.

Russian

This would be an excellent choice. Russian is the langua franca of the ex-USSR states. If you are interested in working in the oil and gas industry, Russian would be useful.

Be aware that Russian uses the Cyrillic alphabet (not that hard to learn) and that, although it is an Indo-European language, it has fewer cognates in common with English than German, French or Spanish. This is the language I'm working on.

Spanish

Not sure why you skipped Spanish. If I could go back in time, this would my first foreign language.

As long as you are serious about learning (I'm not talking High School or Rosetta Stone) this would be the most practical foreign language to learn.

You would also need to travel and read Spanish language websites to keep up on things. Ordering a enchilada from one of the 30 million illegals in this country doesn't count as "having a conversation in Spanish."

It's a shame that the illegal situation in this country has brought such a shame to the Spanish language. Kind of turned it into the "language of the slaves" to quote The Mummy. lololzlzlz

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Quote: (06-08-2014 07:49 PM)svenski7 Wrote:  

German

I have a degree in this language. Many people recommend German because English is a "Germanic language" and German should, therefore, be "easy to learn." Nothing could be further from the truth. It is, like any foreign language, difficult to learn. I would also argue that because of the heavy influence the Romance languages have had on English, that Spanish would be easier (and more useful) than German for a native English speaker to learn.

Also, English penetration in the German-speaking countries is high so speaking German will at best be a novelty and probably won't help you get laid or paid.

I'm bilingual in English and German (lived in both the US and Germany for half my, life respectively). I'd say the the "ease"/"difficulty" is relative. There are indeed many similarities between the two languages, and even more so between older forms of the two languages, but those similarities only become obvious when you compare grammar and words side by side, and they're not close enough for either speaker to understand eachother without having learned the other language.

German grammar is also generally more complex than English, involving more declensions, verb conjugations, and it uses grammatical gender. On the other hand, English tenses are arguably more complex than German tenses, and German spelling is much more phonetic than English spelling, making it easier to read. The pronunciation can be a bit awkward for many English speakers, though. Generally, I'd say German can be relatively difficult for English speakers to learn, if you compare it to other Western/European languages, but if you compare it to learning a non-Western language (like Mandarin/Chinese or Japanese), then obvoiusly it will seam much more similar.

Quote: (06-09-2014 01:41 AM)Sargon of Akkad Wrote:  

Quote: (06-08-2014 07:49 PM)svenski7 Wrote:  

German

I'm bilingual in English and German (lived in both the US and Germany for half my, life respectively). I'd say the the "ease"/"difficulty" is relative. There are indeed many similarities between the two languages, and even more so between older forms of the two languages, but those similarities only become obvious when you compare grammar and words side by side, and they're not close enough for either speaker to understand eachother without having learned the other language.

German grammar is also generally more complex than English, involving more declensions, verb conjugations, and it uses grammatical gender. On the other hand, English tenses are arguably more complex than German tenses, and German spelling is much more phonetic than English spelling, making it easier to read. The pronunciation can be a bit awkward for many English speakers, though. Generally, I'd say German can be relatively difficult for English speakers to learn, if you compare it to other Western/European languages, but if you compare it to learning a non-Western language (like Mandarin/Chinese or Japanese), then obvoiusly it will seam much more similar.

Despite having studied it lesser than Spanish and French, German is arguably my best language and the one that comes as easy to me as Spanish.

It definitely comes with greater phonetic intelligibility than French and it's not spoken with the rapidness often found in Spanish. Having said that the verb declensions and grammatical cases still do my head in but verb conjugations are reasonably straightforward of you have a background in Romance languages.

For both of you and anyone else with more experience in the culture, is German really that useless a language to learn as some would assert? Granted, as svenski7 mentioned, English language penetration is high in those areas and those are countries that place higher value on language learning. I've even heard claims that "everyone in Germany speaks English" (wasn't the case when I travelled there) and it is possible to get by travelling and living briefly there without knowing a single word of German.
I have an engineering background and hope to work further my studies in Germany in the near future.
While I'm not expecting it to have anywhere near the same value or international reach as Mandarin or Spanish (both of which I speak); will a proficiency in German still be looked on favourably in a professional context (and not, as mentioned, merely seen as a novelty similar to being able to iron your shirt)?
Or would be expect responses along the lines of, 'why the hell would you bother learning our language' (something that I've encountered with Dutch)?
Insofar as I was under the impression that it's still widely taught in Eastern Europe and using it there will be looked upon more kindly than Russian.

Quote: (06-09-2014 03:32 AM)JWLZG Wrote:  

Despite having studied it lesser than Spanish and French, German is arguably my best language and the one that comes as easy to me as Spanish.

It definitely comes with greater phonetic intelligibility than French and it's not spoken with the rapidness often found in Spanish. Having said that the verb declensions and grammatical cases still do my head in but verb conjugations are reasonably straightforward of you have a background in Romance languages.

For both of you and anyone else with more experience in the culture, is German really that useless a language to learn as some would assert? Granted, as svenski7 mentioned, English language penetration is high in those areas and those are countries that place higher value on language learning. I've even heard claims that "everyone in Germany speaks English" (wasn't the case when I travelled there) and it is possible to get by travelling and living briefly there without knowing a single word of German.
I have an engineering background and hope to work further my studies in Germany in the near future.
While I'm not expecting it to have anywhere near the same value or international reach as Mandarin or Spanish (both of which I speak); will a proficiency in German still be looked on favourably in a professional context (and not, as mentioned, merely seen as a novelty similar to being able to iron your shirt)?
Or would be expect responses along the lines of, 'why the hell would you bother learning our language' (something that I've encountered with Dutch)?
Insofar as I was under the impression that it's still widely taught in Eastern Europe and using it there will be looked upon more kindly than Russian.

The statements that "you don't need to learn the language to get by in Germany because everyone speaks English" are greatly exaggerated. Yes, most under 45 have learned English in school and speak it to a certain extent, and there's a relatively large number of people who are very proficient in English, especially at universities. However, that doesn't mean everyone is fluent or even competent in it. There's a reason why almost all Hollywood films are dubbed on TV and in movie theatres -- it's still a hastle for many. Granted, foreign language education is relatively good (especially when compared to that of most Asian countries), but other than university students (who rely heavily on English), most simply don't use it on a daily basis, and won't be super exited to have to speak it. There are still also quite a few establishments where people may not be particularly proficient in English, most menus, signs and written documents are not particularly English-friendly outside of major cities.

Yes, you could survive on English only, especially if you're just there on holiday or a short-term study program, but you're limiting yourself by not learning the language if you want to find a job or live there long term. Even if you are there short term, you're still at somewhat of a handicap if you don't understand the majority of what's being said around you. Outside of university campuses, big cities and large international firms, most people don't speak particularly good English.

Spanish.

The language you WANT to learn most, and can actually use most, is the one you should learn.

If you are dedicated to learning Serbian, and will have real contact with speakers of Serbian in your general life, to the point that speaking Serbian will become typical for you, than go for it.

If Serbian is an academic curiosity, and there are no Serbian speakers near you, and you arent going there soon, then you will likely not make much progress.

Just make sure you are truly motivated and will actually use it in your real life. It doesnt matter if the language is "hard" or "easy". All that matters is time and effort you spend on it.

Quote: (06-07-2014 07:22 PM)fokker Wrote:  

* Russian
* Indonesian
* Serbo-Croatian
* Bulgarian
* Greek
* German
* Hebrew

If you really are planning on learning all of those, I would suggest learning Latin first. It will make it much easier to learn other languages.

I posted a thread here referencing the tools I am using learning Spanish:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-16196-...#pid672765

The tools I describe in the post (advantages of each):
Duolingo
Memrise
StudySpanish
italki
"girlfriend" in Mexico

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Usually when people ask for advice they are looking for others to confirm the decision they have already made. Which one do you want everyone to tell you to learn first? I'd go with that one.

Why do you want to learn so many languages?

Quote: (06-09-2014 01:08 PM)Hades Wrote:  

Why do you want to learn so many languages?

It's just those few that I find interesting. I have no idea why. I think I might just stick with russian for now.

В глубокую щель!"

I know in Australia we have truckloads of Greeks, Indonesians and Macedonians (basically Macedonian is a bulgarian dialect).

В глубокую щель!"