rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

One month in Colombia

One month in Colombia

Looking for a bit of advice here on where to live in Colombia for a month in July-August (learning Spanish). I've been to Colombia before but only backpacking. I'm hoping, if it's possible, to find an accommodation that's more local, e.g. a room in a shared house/apartment off airbnb, rather than a hostel. This might be difficult unless I go with a host family which I'm not too sure about as I want to be able to go out when I want.

I'd originally thought Medellin which obviously gets plenty of press on here. That's the concerning thing: is it so well-known now that being a gringo doesn't get you the exotic advantage it gets you in other parts of South America?

Other possibilities:
Bogota, Cartagena, or one of the less touristy cities on the coast like Barranquilla or Santa Marta.

My current level of Spanish is intermediate II (at least that's what my last teacher's books said). I can hold a conversation and make jokes but I still struggle for vocabulary at times.

Any advice appreciated.

One month in Colombia

It has been discussed to death. Try the search feature next time. Quick answers:

- Gringo factor is wearing off a lot in Medellin. Don't expect miracles. Try Pereira, Armenia, Popayan and Ibague if you want a chance at the "White God Factor" or however they call it, but I guarantee nothing.
- Bogota is also good but not on par with Medellin. Infraestructure is apocalyptic, taxis are known to be the biggest assholes in Colombia, plan ahead.
- The coast is fine but be wary, don't pick the wrong girl.
- Airbnb is possible.
- Bring your own money
- Have fun.

One month in Colombia

Compartoapto.com is a Colombian site for local Apt. Shares. Airbnb, being an American site, will definitely be more expensive/fancy. Compartoapto is for a real ass colombian apt.

Look in to Cali, Colombia. In my opinion, the food, music, weather, dancing, culture and people are all way better than Cartagena/Medellin/Bogota, especially if you are on a budget.

One month in Colombia

Quote: (06-05-2014 04:19 AM)Volk Wrote:  

It has been discussed to death. Try the search feature next time. Quick answers:

- Gringo factor is wearing off a lot in Medellin. Don't expect miracles. Try Pereira, Armenia, Popayan and Ibague if you want a chance at the "White God Factor" or however they call it, but I guarantee nothing.
- Bogota is also good but not on par with Medellin. Infraestructure is apocalyptic, taxis are known to be the biggest assholes in Colombia, plan ahead.
- Airbnb is possible.
- Bring your own money
- Have fun.

I don't know if the Gringo factor is wearing off or there are just too many guys hitting on strata 6 women with kinder garden Spanish.

I was quite surprised with what a couple of guys I met in Medellin pulled out of San Diego Mall with poor conversation skills. And then there are those the seem to think "Bello" is the place for hot women that are easy to seduce.

One month in Colombia

Quote: (06-05-2014 02:43 PM)WEDO Wrote:  

Quote: (06-05-2014 04:19 AM)Volk Wrote:  

- Airbnb is possible.
- Bring your own money
- Have fun.

I don't know if the Gringo factor is wearing off or there are just too many guys hitting on strata 6 women with kinder garden Spanish.

I was quite surprised with what a couple of guys I met in Medellin pulled out of San Diego Mall with poor conversation skills. And then there are those the seem to think "Bello" is the place for hot women that are easy to seduce.

Yeah, if I spend 15 minutes in Parque LLeras I begin to hate gringos myself, so imagine how the local girls feel.

To the OP, I think Medellin can still be good given a few things. Briefly, they are: Get the fuck out of lleras, dress well, speak spanish, be there for at lest a few weeks, and get the fuck out of lleras. Donnie 514 posted a trip report/data sheet a few months back that I think illustrates all this well: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-29507.html

I think a second-tier city would be fun too, since you already speak ok Spanish. I wouldn't suggest the coast though, I think the accent and dialect there makes it a bit harder to learn.

One month in Colombia

Maybe try somewhere else other than Colombia if your just learning Spanish possibly DR or Peru? You'd get a lot more interest and 'white value'.