rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

liquid natural gas LNG boom in BC soon?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/news...e17742281/

been reading about it all over the internet...Scotian, any insights ?

Yeah I did some work up there between Fort Nelson and Fort Liard in march. A huge exploration project. Actually two huge projects back to back. The most drills I have ever seen on a job. Close to 50 if I remember correctly.

They intend to pipeline it to the west coast and ship it to Asia. It's still in the early stages though. The pipeline hasn't built and neither has the refinery as far as I know. There is big money being thrown at it though so they must be fairly certain everything will go through. Each Drill costs them in the vicinity of $10,000 a day. So they were spending close half a million a day just on drills.

I'm in the oil & gas biz. Seen the market share of LNG getting bigger the last 2 years and has yet to reach its peak.

It's cleaner than oil and more compressible (600% between liquid and gas state). On paper it's superior to oil in almost every way there's just an infrastructure missing for it (engines etc).

The boom has already kicked off but is slated to get even bigger. It's going to be a labor struggle with AB and the other Eastern provinces...which only means higher wages and better terms.

Quote: (05-18-2014 04:08 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

I'm in the oil & gas biz. Seen the market share of LNG getting bigger the last 2 years and has yet to reach its peak.

It's cleaner than oil and more compressible (600% between liquid and gas state). On paper it's superior to oil in almost every way there's just an infrastructure missing for it (engines etc).

Do you know of any companies that stand to benefit directly from this? A company like GasLog ltd (TICKER: GLOG) comes to mind.

well BC is certainly more livable than Alberta in my opinion, specially weatherwise, and vancouver is more fun overall than calgary.

what skills should one focus on if they plan to move to BC for the LNG boom ?

p.s. btw any info regarding Quebec's Plan Nord ? with the new liberal party in government for 4 years, seems like it might happen. (80Billion$ investment over 25years)

The first step is to get over the hurdle of the pipelines. There is a huge anti-pipeline movement here. People are screeching all sorts of demonic doom and gloom and at the same time trains are carrying more and more oil and companies like CP are firing most of their experienced engineers, so accidents have gone up steady.

Kitimat has already seen property values soar. They are modernizing the aluminum smelter up there and the terminus of a pipeline carrying bitumen from the Oil Sands in AB. Three LNG platforms are proposed for the area. The town is at the end of a massive fjord so its deepwater all the way. There are nine LNG proposals so far in BC.

I work with the Squamish Nation from time to time, and they have the old Woodfibre Mill on their territory as well as the pipeline that supplies the Sunshine Coast. They have a proposal to upgrade the pipeline to Coquitlam and convert Woodfibre mill to LNG. This will be the closest LNG terminal to Vancouver at about 30 min plus a quick boat ride across the fjord.

I have been watching this closely for the past few years and getting in with the First Nations, as they have the land and the power to make or break these projects.

Hopefully this goes full steam ahead and puts pressure on the Alberta labour market because things have slowed down a bit in the oil sands and aren't supposed to pick up for another year or so, if guys start leaving to work in BC then the oil companies will start throwing money around again. I would consider living in BC, the "land of double time" (double after 8 hours whereas in AB its after 10) especially if they do fly in/out from decent cities such as Victoria, Vancouver or Kelowna.

Laner hit the nail on the head. The problem with the oilsands and the proposed LNG terminal in Kitimat is a lack of pipelines.

Before either kick into high gear(the oilsands had a really slow winter, didn't really pick up until after Christmas), we need to get some pipelines so we can get our resources to market.

Not sure if the problem is Canadian or whether it's outside interference, but there seems to be a serious problem getting these pipelines up. The oilsands should have had a pipeline built at least 5 years ago and yet we are still waiting for one to be built. There are 3 ways to go. To the West coast, to the east coast or to the US. You would figure that one would have been built by now. There must be some big money being behind stalling it because there is definitely big money behind getting it built.

It is coming, for sure.
I was up there a few times this winter and the Alaska Hiway (Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson) is setting up for something big. Many of these companies that work the Montney formation (progress, shell, imperial, big players) are making some huge investments. The work they are prepping for isn't just for a winter drill program like we are use to up here, but they are looking years in advance. Reminds me of Fort Mac 10-15 years ago. Not as big as FT MAC, but they share many similarities.
One thing with all the projects up here, is that they all have Asian investment/partnerships behind them, so there is no lack of money.

the land of double time ? wow!

if the pipelines are built and the economy picks up, I'll move my ass over there from Montreal. Vancouver, Victoria and Kelowna are beautiful with great weather (Canada wise)
p.s. is it a good idea to buy property in Kitimat as an investment or too risky ?

Quote: (05-18-2014 04:30 PM)metalhaze Wrote:  

the land of double time ? wow!

if the pipelines are built and the economy picks up, I'll move my ass over there from Montreal. Vancouver, Victoria and Kelowna are beautiful with great weather (Canada wise)
p.s. is it a good idea to buy property in Kitimat as an investment or too risky ?

If you have the means to do so then don't hesitate- I would give my left nut to own something up there strictly for steelhead fishing every autumn!

After doing a little research it appears it is the Americans that are busy fighting the proposed pipelines. Not all of them obviously. Just a few with some deep pockets. They have a decent war chest. To the tune of close to 200 million of over the last 10 years.

[Image: keystone-donor.jpg]

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2013/11...adian-oil/

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014...ition.html

http://www.globalwarming.org/2012/10/24/...pposition/

Even the British government contributed a little money to the anti-pipeline fight. Though fairly insignificant compared to what the Americans are spending.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/09/bri...evelopment

why are they so against it ? and what is the impact of not building the pipelines?

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2014/02/25/us-...nadian-oil

This article suggests they do it to get cheaper oil and to give them time to get America's oil and gas production up to speed.

I have also heard other people suggest that those that have a huge stake in rail road transportation of oil are also against the pipelines.

If the pipelines aren't built it won't be as busy as it could be. Western Canada's economy will be somewhat stifled. The pipeline to the west coast is crucial to the development of B.C.'s huge natural gas deposits. The US has plenty of it's own natural gas so we need the pipeline to the coast to get it to the Asian market.

Oil by rail baby!

A huge rail terminal has sprung up near Hardisty. Also oil-by-rail means we can ship to any refinery in the states we want.

As for BC LNG boom, if BC can get its shit together. It's the home of greenpeace, flakey governments, and carbon taxes. It'd be good to see growth there, but they seem content with their 7%+ unemployment rate and razor thin wage margins.

Quote: (05-19-2014 09:51 AM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  

Oil by rail baby!

A huge rail terminal has sprung up near Hardisty. Also oil-by-rail means we can ship to any refinery in the states we want.

As for BC LNG boom, if BC can get its shit together. It's the home of greenpeace, flakey governments, and carbon taxes. It'd be good to see growth there, but they seem content with their 7%+ unemployment rate and razor thin wage margins.

The only problem with shipping it by rail is that it has a higher spill rate and rail roads tend to be closer to urban centres, of course it can also blow the fuck up and kill a bunch of people as we saw in lac-Megantic, QC last year. Pipelines are by far the safest option but they aren't perfect and the residents of BC haven't forgotten the Kinder morgan one that blew up in Burnaby a few years ago and spewed crude all over a residential neighborhood:

Still, pipelines have a pretty good track record and North America is covered in them, I don't see why its such a big deal since so much of the existing pipeline is 30-50 years old and the new ones will be built better and the governments will be regulating them strictly.

[img][Image: 11jvr61.gif][/img]

As far as the USA anti-oil groups, apparently the Saudis and Venezuela are funding them as they don't want the USA to rely more on Canadian oil than their own, Calgary based political journalist, Ezra Levant (who's a bit of an idiot) writes extensively about it in his book "Ethical Oil" and makes some really good points:

BC is probably my favoite province in Canada and I think its entirely up to their residents if they want to build the gateway pipeline or not, its a beautiful place and I can appreciate their concerns, the oil will find a way out somehow and the Irvings in New Brunswick (home of Canada's largest oil refinery) have already said they'd take on Alberta oil. The one thing I really noticed about BC is that all of the guys who I work with from there, who mostly come from Vancouver island and the interior (Vernon, Nelson, etc) are all huge red necks and all for more work, but it seems like the hippies and Natives have a lot more pull in the province.

^^^
The hippies always forget to mention it was a home builder with a backhoe shovel that hit the pipeline and ruptured it. The whole "Call Before you Dig" campaign. Yeah, must not have got the message.

Shipping oil by train works when there is a balance of commodity. Not when they are leaving grain by the roadside so they can run straight oil on their trains like they did last autumn. Greedy fuckers.

The current government is going to side with the pipelines eventually. They have already seen the shift in ideology as graduates are pushing the unemployment rate higher and after four years of constant eco-feminist bullshit are finally seeing that the world is not going to end if we ship LNG to Asia, but they might not ever get ahead if they continue to work at Starbucks and Cactus Club.

Quote: (05-19-2014 04:26 PM)Laner Wrote:  

^^^
The hippies always forget to mention it was a home builder with a backhoe shovel that hit the pipeline and ruptured it. The whole "Call Before you Dig" campaign. Yeah, must not have got the message.

Shipping oil by train works when there is a balance of commodity. Not when they are leaving grain by the roadside so they can run straight oil on their trains like they did last autumn. Greedy fuckers.

The current government is going to side with the pipelines eventually. They have already seen the shift in ideology as graduates are pushing the unemployment rate higher and after four years of constant eco-feminist bullshit are finally seeing that the world is not going to end if we ship LNG to Asia, but they might not ever get ahead if they continue to work at Starbucks and Cactus Club.

Ya but will the servers and baristas work up in Kitimat or Fort St. John? I think they already have been importing coal miners from China in BC because young people don't want to get their hands dirty anymore, same can be said across Canada though.

I have one of these friends, can't get him to go to work for love or money. Thinks cause he went to university, he's too good for that 'low brow' work so he just sits at home on the computer hoping the world will end.

Nothing is more rewarding than manual labor. You get paid and you get to work out!

"Oh, but you studied so you shouldn't get dirty!"

"So you would rather sit in chair and get fat rather than get paid to exercise?"

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

I don't think this will happen easily. BC is not Alberta where economics trump everything. First Nations and hippies will delay if not cancel it (see the fuckup with the ring of fire mining projects in Ontario). BC has some of the most complex, slow and screwed up forestry regulations so I can only imagine new mining developments will also be equally ruined.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idU...2?irpc=932

Russia building lngs with pipelines direct to China, cutting out BC supply. Any comments?

Far easier for the Russians to do it, with the added bonus of being able to develop their far east. This is also a shot across the bow to the EU.

Russia is far more efficient at building infrastructure necessary than Canada unfortunately. We can't get shit built with all the opposition to pipelines, especially in BC.

There's too much groups that can stifle good projects here.