rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tylenol has made me a better man

http://www.livescience.com/5966-pain-pil...lings.html

Getting the snub from friends can feel like a slap in the face. Now researchers say treating such social pain may be as easy as popping a pain pill. They warn, however, that more research is needed before anyone tries the approach.

The finding builds on research showing that psychological blows not only feel like they hurt us, they actually do. For instance, scientists have found a gene linked with both physical pain and a person's sensitivity to rejection. And some of the same brain regions are linked with both pain types.

So perhaps it's not surprising that a painkiller would alleviate both as well.

"The idea that a drug designed to alleviate physical pain should reduce the pain of social rejection seemed simple and straightforward based on what we know about neural overlap between social and physical pain systems," said lead researcher C. Nathan DeWall of the University of Kentucky. "To my surprise, I couldn't find anyone who had ever tested this idea.

The study, which posits an expanded view of how the human brain processes different kinds of pain, is published in the journal Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science.

“Pain exists in many forms, including the distress that people feel when exposed to thoughts of existential uncertainty and death,” says Randles.

“Our study suggests these anxieties may be processed as ‘pain’ by the brain — but Tylenol seems to inhibit the signal telling the brain that something is wrong.”

The study builds on recent American research that found acetaminophen — the generic form of Tylenol — can successfully reduce the non-physical pain of being ostracized from friends.

Prior research has also determined that when the richness, order and meaning in life is threatened — with thoughts of death, for instance — people tend to reassert their basic values as a coping mechanism.

anterior cingulate cortex activates in response to situations where there is a possibility of the environment producing unpredictable consequences. When our predictions of how things should go turn out to be inaccurate, the ACC lights up and tries to figure out where the error occurred. This discrepancy between prediction and outcome is what causes us some anxiety. It seems that chronic administration of Tylenol counteracts this response.

Whether or not the ACC activates determines the emotional response that is produced by the situation, and the difference is quite interesting. It turns out that without the activation the ACC, violations of expectations produce humor rather than anxiety. This is fundamentally how comedy works. An expectation is set up, then it is violated in an interesting way, and hilarity ensues. As it turns out, there is a fine line between situation that are scary and ones that are funny. And a way to move that line seems to be taking acetaminophen.

http://qz.com/77004/do-it-all-drug-can-t...xiety-too/

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/...nxiety.htm

http://www.chron.com/life/healthzone/art...442777.php

white trash anti depressant? I never would have guessed....the conclusion seems natural though. Drinking makes you forget about injuries and offences. I have many recollections of college friends doing stupid things after being injured or in surgery and then drinking. My favourite was some guy who had septum surgery and felt like his gauze was bothering him (while drunk) so he reached up there and pulled it all out with some needle nose pliers from his work toolbox. Bleeding and infection of course ensued.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

How did it make you a better man though?

Interesting. I've read the early research data that shows that there is a strong inflammatory component in depression and schizophrenia, and that adding low dose aspirin to treatment greatly improves the treatment response, supposedly by controlling the pro-inflammatory aspects of these disease (inflammation interferes with brain function - that's why a pneumonia can cause confusional delirium, even though the pathology is outside of the brain).

So perhaps we can formulate a tentative Rooshvforum anti-depressant cocktail: Tylenol (aka paracetamol outside of North America) + low dose Aspirin + L-theanine ?

You can't really drink alcohol if you are on chronic tylenol though.

Random fact: We still don't know exactly how Tylenol works.

Pop an E-Bomb or two and all your worries melt away.

Team Nachos

It won't make for a better liver though, especially if you're mixing it with alcohol. I'm assuming you're into night game?

The Peru Thread
"Feminists exist in a quantum super-state in which they are both simultaneously the victim and the aggressor." - Milo Yiannopoulos

Midnite: a jest? Ala "Zink made me..."
Nova. Why do you think I drink

Quote: (05-16-2014 08:44 AM)NovaVirtu Wrote:  

It won't make for a better liver though, especially if you're mixing it with alcohol. I'm assuming you're into night game?

I don't think enough people knwo about this but how true. I remember my boss telling me he was in brazil for a bachelor party popped a couple tyelnol before going back out drinking woke up like puking and shitting blood i think had to rush home. I guess tylenol and drinking are very dangerous, and lots of people are like oh i have a headache ill pop a tylenol before I go out drinking but not a smart idea. I never knew this until he told me that but ever since very cautious doing this

My friend's girlfriend is a pharmacologist, so I've heard a bit about this. I've taken my share of tylenol and can't report any difference though. Drinking and taking a couple of tylenol is not dangerous at all for an adult, but the problem with tylenol/paracetemol is that there is actually a quite low overdose level, not more than 10grams or so which is 20 pills. Still not something you'd take by mistake.

Codeine on the other hand seems to have a soothing relaxing effect, which isn't strange considering it gets converted into morphine in the blood.

Warm sunlight and hard workouts do wonders for me when it comes to feeling mentally and physically better. I frequently get a high like feeling hours after a hard workout and pains and worries go away.