rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Medellin: watch your back, fellas

So last night I had two cabbies try to scam me, and one I think angling to rob me. I was meeting a chick at La Strada in Oviedo. I clearly and carefully told him "OVIEDO" and "La Strada" which anyone within a 50 mile radius is familiar with, especially cab drivers. The first guy was a fat little toad. He played like he was lost around oviedo and kept doing circles around a neighborhood, acting like he didn't know what I was saying. My spanish is alright and what I do know is pronounced accurately (per the locals compliments)....

So I jump out of the little toads car at a light. The fee is up to 9.900 so i toss him a 10 mil note and slam his taxi door as hard as I can.

I start to walk on foot for a few blocks when I flag taxi #2. Only this time I pull out my blackberry with the translator program on it. I typed in "I would like to go to Oviedo, La Strada Plaza". I put the translated message in his face so there was no confusion. He nods and starts driving. But wait! all of a sudden home boy doubles back and gets on the highway and starts speeding.

I have been to Medellin 6 times now and i'm getting familiar with the place. This guy was clearly leading me away from oviedo and into an industrial type area. I said "AMIGO.....NO ES OVIEDO"'

Then he said "San Diego"?

I punched his dash and said MOTHERFUCKER you will take me to oviedo now or i will eat your fucking cab and beat you to death! OVIEDO! so cabbie jumps on his phone and pulls into a residential neighborhood. I tell him "no telefono, amigo" and motion for him to hang up.

He looks over at me (I'm far larger and younger than him) and he knows I mean business. I tell him. OVIEDO.

Magically, he remembers where it is. I have him drop me off by the hard rock in oviedo. HIs bill is 10,500 or so. I tell him "amigo, you went in circles" and threw 5,000 cop at him and slammed his door hard enough that the security guard started marching over. I hoof it the 6 blocks to la strada where I met up with yet another gold digging colombian cunt, which has been a reoccuring them this trip. Flakey girls, dishonest people, and thieves. Everyone here has an angle or a scam..

Now, had I been drunk or in bad shape I would have been at this guy's mercy and this story would probably look very different. This trip I must tell you I don't think medellin is a safe place. watch your ass in these taxi's!!!

There are also a LOT more stories floating around about gringos and colombian men getting drugged and literally stripped of everything including underwear, socks, laptops, watches, anything they can steal. Again, NOT an honest place and I will be looking for another destination to spend my time after this trip.

As an aside, I am looking for a wing. if any of you are in medellin I make quite a good wing...pm me

Sorry to hear the story bro

You sound like this american dude i met in DR, he was really mad with dominicans because almost all of them are unreliable, liars, dishonests, but the good looking women compensated the stay there.

Anyway, this is the latin culture, people believe that in order to have something in life, they need to rob from the next person, in Brazil there is a strong belief that if you are rich,people should rob from you, they see rich people as bad and that they should share they wealth with the lower class, its a fucked up mentality, instead of admiring the rich and follow their ways, they do the opposite.

Are you black by the way? I think us blacks are less of a victim specially when you look or act like a thug, i had few arguments with dominican niggas but they just back down when they see that you dont back down. But remember, you are not in your home city, if beefs can be avoided then avoid it, these motherfuckers will shoot you over nothing, sometimes is who you less expect to be trouble that will give you trouble.

Basically if i was you i would just hang around malls and busy high streets and approach chicks and whenever you need to get to somewhere get a public transport (well i never been to Medellin so i wouldnt know how good or effective their public transport is).

But yeah forget what happened and enjoy it..fuck these medellin chicks hard for the dishonesty of their people..enjoy your time..

Quote: (02-04-2011 05:46 PM)lottery Wrote:  

Anyway, this is the latin culture, people believe that in order to have something in life, they need to rob from the next person

Ummm..No. I'm latin, and was raised with latin culture. I am very successful without having to rob anyone in my life. It's not culture, thugs exist everywhere.

Now Brazilians, well, those cats are a whole other breed. They do not even consider themselves "latin". That's another story.

Medellin is dangerous, and you will be tested if you are a foreigner. It's a calculated risk you take for easier ass in foreign lands.

Just like it would be a risk for a clean-cut, white boy to walk the streets of Bushwick, Brooklyn or the Bronx.

Sorry to hear that BBL, I myself have been tested many times in Colombia and Brazil, but then again, I've been tested in Miami and New York too!

Mixx

"Anyway, this is the latin culture, people believe that in order to have something in life, they need to rob from the next person"

Yeah, this comment is way out of bounds. No culture is based on robbing people. Especially Latin culture (one of the most beautiful and rich of all cultures).

I hate to see anyone make sweeping negative generalizations about a people or culture from a few negative experiences. Hell, I was physically attacked 3 Times in Latvia, and I have never made a single negative comment in my life about Russia, Russians, Latvia or Latvians. In fact, I think they have a beautiful culture (and of course girls that are mad fly). Every culture and people have their hoods.

Honestly, the above story could happen anywhere. I Have had it happen to me in America many times. And its almost to be expected. Traveling is not for the meek or weak of heart. We glamorize it a lot on here with our wonderful tales, but if you don't realize you are constantly one step away from disaster at all times, then you are naive.

Hell, I have had guns thrust in my face before in America. Does that make me think all Americans are evil? Hell no.

Quote: (02-04-2011 06:15 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (02-04-2011 05:46 PM)lottery Wrote:  

Anyway, this is the latin culture, people believe that in order to have something in life, they need to rob from the next person

Ummm..No. I'm latin, and was raised with latin culture. I am very successful without having to rob anyone in my life. It's not culture, thugs exist everywhere.

Now Brazilians, well, those cats are a whole other breed. They do not even consider themselves "latin". That's another story.

Medellin is dangerous, and you will be tested if you are a foreigner. It's a calculated risk you take for easier ass in foreign lands.

Just like it would be a risk for a clean-cut, white boy to walk the streets of Bushwick, Brooklyn or the Bronx.

Sorry to hear that BBL, I myself have been tested many times in Colombia and Brazil, but then again, I've been tested in Miami and New York too!

Mixx

Well its obvious that is not every latin person with that mentality. I am brazillian and my all my brothers and sisters are very honest people but i guarantee you that is very hard to find people with such principles in Brazil. Yeah i agree that us brazillians dont consider us latins, but the ones who spent most of their lives in Europe or USA know that these people love to categorise brazillians as latins so many of us immigrated brazillians just call ourselves latins.

Some societies have high levels of corruptions, others dont, the way a system is contructed or the way a system behaves tends to affect the way its population behave. Look at how corruptive some of these latin countries are, do you think their population will be honest? I probably should speak only about Brazil because thats what i know the best but from what i could gather from dominican republic is exactly the same thing. Even this black american guy that was there was complaining all the time about how people were unreliable there, if the same thing happened in the states,he wouldnt say anything about it so im sure not all societies are like that. The topic here is not robbing from other people now, i have moved towards dishonesty, unreliability, lack of professional people everywhere you go, the rude customer service..yo i could go on for ages.

I had many arguments about this topic, i already got my bases about this and i wont change it.

damn the quoting system here is weird..

It seems like this sort of thing happens more to cats that go to other countries with the hubris of thinking they can put in minimal effort--like not bothering to get a decent-enough command of the local language--yet still land some tail with no other consequences. No work, free pussy, no drawbacks? Doesn't exist. This is typical entitlement, Ugly American arrogance.

One way or another you gotta put in effort; otherwise, things tend to balance themselves out one way or the other. Colombia, Brazil, and other countries aren't simply free-pussy buffets for you to go visit. The country (whether it's through the taxi drivers or "gold-digging Colombian sluts") have to get back something for what you're extracting out.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Gmanifesto- Are you trying to tell me that taxi drivers in America are just as dangerous as in medellin? That's obviously not accurate.

I caution those who travel to medellin against the taxis

BBL did you call a taxi the first time or hail one?

The tone of your initial post made it seem like you were about to get kidnapped, but in all likelihood they pegged you as a gringo and wanted to give you the long ride to pad the fare. Happened to me all the time.

Showing the phone with spanish wasn't a good idea because it was safe for him to conclude that you were a newb.

Agree. Being overcharged for a cab ride is not something I'd even bother to remember next day, this happens everywhere.

There's definitely more of a culture of shaking people down and hustling in Latin America than you'll find in places like the US, W. Europe or Japan. Part of feels like countries that treat visitors like that don't deserve to be rewarded with more visitors. Afterall, I have a limited amount of time and money to spend traveling internationally and I could've gone to another place and had just a good a time where you don't have to be on guard 24/7 against hustlers and con artists. I would still go to Latin America again, but I can totally understand why some would just say fuck it and go to Europe instead.

BBL, were you taking unofficial taxis or legit taxis?

Quote: (02-04-2011 09:12 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

There's definitely more of a culture of shaking people down and hustling in Latin America than you'll find in places like the US, W. Europe or Japan. Part of feels like countries that treat visitors like that don't deserve to be rewarded with more visitors. Afterall, I have a limited amount of time and money to spend traveling internationally and I could've gone to another place and had just a good a time where you don't have to be on guard 24/7 against hustlers and con artists. I would still go to Latin America again, but I can totally understand why some would just say fuck it and go to Europe instead.

BBL, were you taking unofficial taxis or legit taxis?

All legit taxi's. I hail marked taxi's with meters. The guy couldn't have thought I was a newb, I was telling him about the district in spanish AND showed him my translator.

Roosh: "You make it sound like you were going to be kidnapped"

Did you want me to let him drive around the boonies on his cell so I could find out? Clearly these people are by and large not honest people. The women are the biggest lying cheaters on the planet and the men if they are nice to you either:

A) want to fuck you
B) are setting you up

I have not seen any deviation from the above, whatsoever. So far, in my 6 travels to colombia i've met a handful of honest people, and even those people I would never fully trust. If you don't believe me hop on a plane and come hang out.

Night game sucks, everyone goes out in a group so unless you have a group to go out with you'll be a ghost. These people by and large can't tell the truth to save their lives.

day game to get honeys to roll with at night.

all the cabs in central and south america will try to fuck 8 ways to sunday! it has happened to me EVERY time ive traveled south.

I guess my question to BBL is pretty simple: if you hate Columbia so much, why are you there visiting?

Columbia is not the only place with women on the planet.

Easy E is not Columbia, it is Colombia.

Anyway, before i take a cab, be it London, rio de janeiro or santo domingo, i always ask how much the ride will cost to the destination im heading so he wont give me funny prices.

Columbia haha.

From what I´ve read, I gather that the only thing Colombia is good for is picking up chicks, but even that is not easy because they´re so flakey and unreliable.

In colombia and latin america in general you always get a better taxi rate by calling in advance. Still doesn't give them the right to fleece you though.

Quote: (02-04-2011 04:37 PM)bigbootyluvr Wrote:  

I have him drop me off by the hard rock in oviedo.

Anyone have any luck pulling out of this spot. I stopped by here once but it seemed kinda expensive, especially when I had Aguadiente in my apartment.

Quote: (02-04-2011 08:35 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Agree. Being overcharged for a cab ride is not something I'd even bother to remember next day, this happens everywhere.

Quote:Quote:

The tone of your initial post made it seem like you were about to get kidnapped, but in all likelihood they pegged you as a gringo and wanted to give you the long ride to pad the fare. Happened to me all the time.

Showing the phone with spanish wasn't a good idea because it was safe for him to conclude that you were a newb.

I concur, it sounds like he just wanted to take you on the "scenic route" to pad the meter. It happens in NY all the time. If two big Hombres would have gotten in the back of the cab with you then that's a different story.

Quote: (02-05-2011 10:11 AM)playa_with_a_passport Wrote:  

Quote: (02-04-2011 08:35 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

I concur, it sounds like he just wanted to take you on the "scenic route" to pad the meter. It happens in NY all the time. If two big Hombres would have gotten in the back of the cab with you then that's a different story.

I hate getting punked by a cabbie. In a third world country when I actually do find an honest one I tip the fuck outta them and get their number. Even if I end up spending the same amount I'd rather give money to an honest man and not a shyster.

With taxis in general, it's good if you can tell them HOW to get there, ie what route to take.

Hell, sometimes I don't even tell taxis where I'm going, I just tell them step by step where to turn.

Every once in a while you will get an honest and smart cabbie who shows you a good route that avoids crowded main roads. Remember this for the future.

Just one more reason to actually learn the language when you're leaving the first world.

But then, the worst I've ever been hustled by a cabbie was in Philly (PA, not the philippines)

Quote: (02-05-2011 12:22 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

With taxis in general, it's good if you can tell them HOW to get there, ie what route to take.

Good tip. In Spanish all you have to do is say "por [street name]"

I do this in D.C. even for short rides. Cab drivers are vultures.

Quote: (02-04-2011 10:01 PM)bigbootyluvr Wrote:  

I was telling him about the district in spanish AND showed him my translator.

Showing him your translator was a newb move. I'm guessing it was a blackberry or something very desirable over there too. When you're traveling around with high-tech gadgetry you most definitely shouldn't be flashing it around! I dunno if you noticed but the majority of people in Colombia are renting cell phones by the minute from the cell phone renter people, whatever they're called. This is why I'm surprised it isn't common sense that when you have something that the majority of the people don't have, don't flash it around, otherwise you're going to get what's coming to you. [Image: whip.gif]