rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Alternative Home Designs

Alternative Home Designs

I'm looking for some creative thoughts here. I've looked through some of the other threads and have gotten good ideas, but they still touch upon traditional (yet modern) design. One great idea was the chalkboard paint which I think I will do.

The situation is as follows...I am leasing a studio apartment and the only piece of furniture I currently own is a mattress. No couch, no bookcase, no tables and not even a bed frame. I move in tomorrow.

Given where I live, it is small by many standards (probably 400 sq ft). So I can't do too much with it, but I have some room. The only thing I can't change is the flooring which is a bamboo wood color. The walls are plain white.

My goal is to have it be somewhat different and "interactive." By that I mean when I bring people (read: girls) over, there is something to do. On the same token, make it something that appeals to girls.

So far, my thoughts are:

- Rasturbate my avatar
- Chalkboard paint somewhere so people can write/draw on it
- Projector to display art/music videos via computer/roku
- Some sort of photography setup

On that last one, I know people love to try and be a photographer and bang models, but I have access to some 5k camera basically anytime I want, and a video editor to put together whatever video/photo I do for free. So there is no cost to that.

Finally, it should be airbnb friendly as I can make a lot renting my place out when I'm gone. So no sex swings or BDSM chains hanging from the ceiling.

I still need to have it be livable as I live there, but wouldn't mind bending the norms of what a studio can be. Any and all suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Alternative Home Designs

Get some Phillips Hue bulbs and strip(s). Programmable color LED lighting.

Alternative Home Designs

There is a way to make your own chalkboard paint, which is useful for making different colors. I would imagine a red or blue chalkboard might go over better than a green or black one.

Here is a link outlining how to make it yourself:
http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_web...color.html

Alternative Home Designs

Slubu,

I generally have 'interesting' reads lying around. Little snippets into my life. Guys and girls both comment on the odd collection of reading material in various rooms around my place.

Here is what is lying around prominently in my apartment: GQ, The Economist, Conde Nast Traveler, a novel I'm reading, a non-fiction text I'm reading, and some astrology book of sex.

Alternative Home Designs

Framed paints/posters. Abstract art is a great centerpiece and allows people to see what they want to see. Always interesting to have

Kandinsky
[Image: Transverselline1923.jpg]
[Image: kandinsky.comp-4.jpg]

Miro
[Image: Melancholic%20Singer%20Joan%20Miro.jpg]

This miro piece used to hang over my bed. I'd ask if they want to see a singing fish and bring them over...
[Image: Singing-Fish.jpg]

Seeing that I (like you Slubu) have a boring job, these odd interior designs make you more palatable to a lot of artsy girls. Adds depth to your persona and warmth to your room

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Alternative Home Designs

Believe it or not, Pinterest is a great place to get ideas/"inspiration" for this sort of thing.

Having a mini-photo studio setup on a white wall could be a cool idea. Set up a tripod, and a couple of lights/strobes, and use a plain white wall as a backdrop, and produce some Terry Richardson-esque money shot photos of your guests.

Alternative Home Designs

Agree with DVY.

Slubu, you travel a bunch. Whenever I travel I always bring back a unique piece of artwork that I feel defines wherever I've been. I've pieces from Brazil, Israel, and Thailand around my living room.

Also, I collect masks from wherever I travel. Weird, I know. They're ornate and crazy and always start a conversation. Sometimes I'll take them off the wall and place them on a girl's face.

Alternative Home Designs

Agree with other guys here. Bring home some cool stuff from your travels and hang it on your walls.
Print out some cool pictures of your travels and frame them and hang them up.

Make it personal.
Think and decorate your home like you would walk into the Museum of Slubu.
Chicks really dig it, and guys wish they were you.

And for gods sake, stay away from IKEA.

Alternative Home Designs

Check out svpply.com awesome stuff! Yeah check out the Philips Hue Bulbs. You can find mood settings and automatically set them to adjust at a certain time. Great for going over the top when setting the mood, I swear a puddle will form on your couch when the room suddenly shifts to wine red or sunset orange depending on your settings. I have a list of settings proven to elicit different emotions in people when I find the link to it ill hook you up.

Alternative Home Designs

Since it is a far bigger problem to get a girl to come to your place than to bang her once she's at your place, I wouldn't worry much about this angle. Just decorate for your personal enjoyment.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Alternative Home Designs

Quote: (05-01-2014 09:31 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

Agree with DVY.

Slubu, you travel a bunch. Whenever I travel I always bring back a unique piece of artwork that I feel defines wherever I've been. I've pieces from Brazil, Israel, and Thailand around my living room.

Also, I collect masks from wherever I travel. Weird, I know. They're ornate and crazy and always start a conversation. Sometimes I'll take them off the wall and place them on a girl's face.

I've got a mask that's identical to this hanging in my living room:
[Image: $T2eC16d,!zcE9s4g3hwjBSFUiuPjcg~~60_35.J...880000500F]

It always starts a conversation, "Where'd you get that?". Just reply, "Oh that. Yeah that was from a....well, a very interesting night." with a smirk on your face.

Nice call on the Kandinsky. Prob my favorite abstract painter.

Some friends of mine are incredibly design-conscious, one of them is an editor and does video installations. He's got video installations in his house, most of them are small, about the size of a portrait you'd hang up like any other picture. Except his are videos of elephants bathing in India or other random shit. Not sure if this is something you can buy but you might look into it.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Alternative Home Designs

Quote: (05-01-2014 03:58 PM)Menace Wrote:  

Get some Phillips Hue bulbs and strip(s). Programmable color LED lighting.

Didn't even know this exists. Pretty damn cool, I will implement once I finish designing.

Quote: (05-01-2014 07:48 PM)tarquin Wrote:  

There is a way to make your own chalkboard paint, which is useful for making different colors. I would imagine a red or blue chalkboard might go over better than a green or black one.

Actually Benjamin Moore does that for you. So once I get the color scheme going should be easy.

Quote: (05-01-2014 09:27 PM)kerouac Wrote:  

Believe it or not, Pinterest is a great place to get ideas/"inspiration" for this sort of thing.

Having a mini-photo studio setup on a white wall could be a cool idea. Set up a tripod, and a couple of lights/strobes, and use a plain white wall as a backdrop, and produce some Terry Richardson-esque money shot photos of your guests.

I'm seriously thinking about this.

Quote: (05-01-2014 09:31 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

Agree with DVY.

That made me lol. The mask thing is interesting, same as thedude3737 said.

Quote: (05-02-2014 02:32 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

Since it is a far bigger problem to get a girl to come to your place than to bang her once she's at your place, I wouldn't worry much about this angle. Just decorate for your personal enjoyment.

Logistically I'm fine so that's no issue. And I've figured out for the most part how to bring girls back. I'm trying to take it one step further in implementing something that will bring the girls back for me.

Alternative Home Designs

@DVY and thedude, I hear you with those abstract paintings though not my style. I tend to like words and women doing slightly sexual but naughty things in black and white. I can't decide if I put these prints up, if it will be too much. I think the words one is a bit pushing it, but I really do enjoy my avatar:

[Image: 181119_204391589689538_1999141276_n.jpg]

[Image: 862556563.jpg]

Alternative Home Designs

I forgot to mention:

TouchOfModern.com always has interesting and functional furniture. If I was looking to redesign an apartment, I could easily a few grand on some of their stuff.

Alternative Home Designs

Apartmenttherapy is a good resource for figuring out what to do with small apartments. It's all over the place stylistically which can be good for inspiration. And at 400 sq ft you're basically looking at a standard NYC type studio which is their core audience.