rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

NY Pizza vs Chicago Pizza

So I work in NYC and get to eat NY style pizza anytime I want. But I've been in Chicago for the 3rd time in the past two months and got to try some Chicago style pizza. I'll try to give a fair comparison here.

NY Pizza
If you've ever had NY pizza you know it's all about the thin crust. Thin, doughy and crispy on the bottom. There's a memorable crunch to it when you take a bite. The sauce is laid on thin but it's laced with oregano and very flavorful. The top is covered with salty "Mutz" (mozzarella cheese). Good stuff.

I've been seeing this trend in NYC lately. Lots of $1 a slice joints popping up all over the place. I'm guilty of hitting them on the way home for a quick bite. 2 slices and a soda for $2.75. Not a bad deal. Not real deal NYC pizza but halfway edible. The crust is paper thin. The sauce is weak and the cheese is obviously low quality.

I grew up in NJ and have a few local joints that I used to frequent in my youth. Family owned Italian pizza restaurants that have 3 generations working there. They know how to make pizza. The crust is thicker but it's still thin crust style. The old man is still tossing dough in the air.

I hear Brooklyn is the place to go for real deal NY pizza. Can anyone confirm?

Chicago Pizza
I tried two different places out here. Both famous for their pizza.

Giordano's deep dish pizza was very good. The small was 6 slices. Each slice was about 2 pounds each [Image: lol.gif] the dough was thick and doughy like I'm used to. The sauce was fresh made and very tasty. Topping we're top notch. I'd give it 7/10.

Gino's deep dish was a totally different experience. The crust had a graham cracker crust type of texture on the bottom and a flaky pastry texture around edge. Kind of a buttery flavor to it. The sauce was excellent. Very sharp flavor to it. I didn't care for the toppings though. They threw sausage and ham on it. Chicago loves ham. They put it on everything. I think it takes away from the flavor. Overall a good pizza. 6/10. They gouge you $7 a beer. Kinda pricey for a pizza joint. That's strip club prices.

I got a small pie and a few beers and got hit for $48.

In Jersey you can get a large pie and couple sodas and it'll cost you $15.

Team Nachos

Patsy Grimaldi's in Brooklyn Heights has good pizza.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

NY Pizza all the way ! Chicago Pizza is good for the novelty of it but NY Pizza is a classic. the $1 slices taste heavenly after a night of heavy drinking and clubbing. Nothing can beat a hot slice on a cold NYC night at 4.00 AM.

Brooklyn has some very good pizza places. Grimaldi's, Moterino. Lots of Brick Oven pizza places are opening up in both Queens and Brooklyn. And I agree with you- the old school family owned pizzerias are the best. I used to buy a whole pie from one of these little pizzeria every tuesday after my evening college($8.00 for the whole pie on tuesday)

I grew up on the West Coast and live in the midwest now.

NYC pizza is hands down better than Chicago pizza.

But neither of those places has a decent burrito or taco.

As one of the New York haters-in-residence at the RVF, I'm under contractual obligation to come into this thread say that New York (pizza) ain't shit.

[Image: tumblr_m17rpvweAA1rnstqpo1_500.gif]

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

[Image: Travolta_Pizza.jpg]
Quote: (04-09-2014 11:04 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

As one of the New York haters-in-residence at the RVF, I'm under contractual obligation to come into this thread say that New York (pizza) ain't shit.

[Image: tumblr_m17rpvweAA1rnstqpo1_500.gif]

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Giordano's is just ok. I much prefer Uno's for Chicago pizza.

Boo Tuthmosis....haha

Quote: (04-09-2014 11:17 PM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

Giordano's is just ok. I much prefer Uno's for Chicago pizza.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

redacted

@Lizard of Oz:

If you're going to show the great Tony Manero, at least give him some audio and video:

[Image: pizzeria-uno-chicago.jpg]

That's what I'm talking about!

Most filling za I've ever had.

You guys can keep your paper thin NYC shit.

^ Not supposed to be that filling that's why you Midwesterners have a bad rep for making crap food and being hogs.

Quote: (04-10-2014 12:02 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

^ Not supposed to be that filling that's why you Midwesterners have a bad rep for making crap food and being hogs.

I normally put away a large Papa Murphy's by myself.

Uno's is a struggle to finish in one shot.

We have good food, just not a big variety which is fine by me. Love steak and pizza. Could and often do live on it.

I went to both places and had pizza.....

New York - Pizza in little Italy. I would have sex with this pizza, was the best pizza I have ever ate in my life I would prob pay $100 to eat this again. (cost $19.99). I still have dreams about how good it tasted, literally blew away any other pizza I have had in my life, I kind of dont really eat them anyway, after knowing what a real pizza takes like.

[Image: IMG_0506_zps6f485c55.jpg]

Chicago deep dish pizza, not as good as the above, but this one is way more filling.

[Image: CHI3_zps82bdcbde.jpg]

NY pizza is the only pizza. All else is conversation.

Eating Chicago deep dish is like eating a cake made from dough and grease.

Quote: (04-10-2014 12:11 AM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

NY pizza is the only pizza. All else is conversation.

Eating Chicago deep dish is like eating a cake made from dough and grease.

yup agree.

Is it possible to find Chicago-style pizza in New York? I loved Giordano's, but when I moved to NYC could not find anything remotely like it.

Lou Malnatis in Chicago had me dreaming about it for days afterwards.

"Not supposed to be that filling that's why you Midwesterners have a bad rep for making crap food and being hogs."

^And Florida is known for what? Ah yes, being the star of the show COPS and for trailer parks.

I grew up in Chitown and still have to side with NYC pizza as being better.

New York for sure

Adding more thickness to pizza is like to adding a second bap to a cheese burger

Deep dish pizza is the culinary equivalent of the rape of Nanking.

When I see pizza Hut putting up commercials for cheeseburger pizzas and I just want to leave the planet.

Chicago-style pizza is a culinary atrocity born from the marriage of desperation and and poor imitation.

It's like they started making pizza--severely dicked it up, and were just like, "Fuck it, we're in Chicago, can't get much worse than this, roll with that shit."

I like pizzas with thick, bread-like crust (though not like a pie like this Chicago thingy). I find that it is hard for a classic thin pizza to not have this unpleasant "papery" or "rolling" texture (even though it's amazing when the thin crust is well done). But in either case, I enjoy ham or salami on my pizzas and have always viewed them as an integral part of the experience. I don't like weird stuff on it like pineapple or shrimp, though.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote: (04-09-2014 11:55 PM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

[Image: pizzeria-uno-chicago.jpg]

That's what I'm talking about!

Most filling za I've ever had.

You guys can keep your paper thin NYC shit.

That looks pretty good. What is it? Some kind of quiche?