rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Wine

I want to start a thread for wine. Wines you have tried. What to order on a date/business meeting/brunch. Anything you want to add about processing/ratings/etc.

I'll write more when I get a chance but I just tried this one the other day, buy a bottle if you see it.

http://www.freixenetusa.com/cordon-negro...g-wine.php

It's a Sparkling wine (Cava) from Spain, and you will feel like a millionaire after one sip.

Wine

Feo,

Ha. Freixenet Cava is the ultimate playboy-on-a-budget move. You are going in a direction where many Playboys have gone before you.

I went to their winery when I was like 19 and started using that as a "champagne substitute" for many years after on unsuspecting American girls.

A little slice of psedo-luxury for like $10 a bottle.

I wrote about it years ago http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2006/06/fan...loses.html as a closing technique. (Everything you need to ever know pretty much is in that website).

Wine

For its price Le Grand Noir is a steal: http://www.shopmerwins.com/084279978222.html
From California Kendall Jackson and Ravenswood are pretty popular but still worth trying

It would take to long to list out all the great European wines right now but I'll say Petrus is top of the line for France.

Wine

YoungGunner,

Ha. Its kind of funny you mentioned Kendall Jackson and Petrus in the same post.

Kendall Jackson is something they serve a TGI Friday's in Zanesville, OH along with jalapeño poppers.

Petrus is something they serve at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon in Paris with foie gras and quail.

That all being said, stay away from the Kendall Jackson. Don't support mass produced corporate crap. This applies to all things in life.

Ravenswood Zin can be a good move for the up and coming players on a budget.

Wine

I gotcha, I like to have some diversity in the wine rack though, high-quality wine for high quality girls and low quality wine for label whores and low quality girls (personality wise), nah mean? No reason to waste expensive wine on girls who don't appreciate it.

Wine

In Washington State where I live-
"In recent years, Washington's wine industry has become the fastest-growing agricultural sector in the state. The number of Washington wineries has increased 400% in the last decade, attracting two million annual visitors to Washington winecountry and creating a two million dollar wine-tourism industry.

Located approximately on the same latitude (46ºN) as some of the great French wine regions of Bordeaux and Burgundy, Washington State wine country now includes 11 federally recognized American Viticultural Areas (AVAs), commonly known as appellations"-from WINESNW

The quality meets or exceeds California wines without the cost. That said, price is not a good indicator of taste. I dated a Wine Snob for a while and the one thing the blind tastings proved is cost is NO solid indicator of quality.

Simply try lots and drink what you like.

That said, my everyday wine is Cruz Garcia Real Sangria from Spain. You can get it for $5.95 a bottle at Target. Light, easy drinking and slightly sweet goes well with red meats and pastas.

Maison de Padgett is a local winery that sells a Magnum of it's Lip Service for $25. Lighter, slightly sweet red that's very smooth and not too dry.

Whitman Cellars in Walla Walla has a Chocolate Port that you can only buy if your a member of their club, and even then it's $50. Totally worth it, if you have a woman that loves chocolate this will make her panties wet.

Wine

I don't drink much wine but I'll buy the occasional bottle of Sterling Cabernet

Wine

Ok, promise not to tell anyone else, but Schloss Biebrich (sold at Trader Joes for like $5) is the shiiiiiiit. It's not brut, it's more sweet, so it might be considered sec (or sekt in das deutsch).

[Image: schloss_biebrich_sekt_11_6_0_75_l_flaschen.jpg]

Relevant: Chicks dig it

Wine

Alright, I can see where I can steer everyone in the right direction.

"Target"? "Trader Joes"?

I know my fellow American's have an obsession with always paying the least prices (which little do you realize ends up costing you more in the long run).

Here is a little tip: Stop going to to corporate spots and make friends with your little Italian wine shop's owner down the street. Return to Quality.

Soon he will tip you off on the good bottles, give you free bottles and tax free purchases.

This is a hallmark of The G Manifesto.

A higher level of the Game if you will.

Wine

Feo, thanks for directing me to this thread.

I need some recommendations for purchasing wine. My plan is to get a Champagne (Dom? Rossi?)and a red wine. I am not a big wine guy since I favor liquor, however do realize that a home bar would not be complete without a few bottles of the vino.

So what are your recommendations for the red? I am willing drop a hundred or so on a good bottle.

Wine

BostonBMW,

"I am willing drop a hundred or so on a good bottle."

For a special occasion? Or just to sit in the home bar?

The reason I ask is a $100 plus bottle is pretty unnecessary in a home bar wine collection of just one.

You don't want your idiot drunk buddy to crack the bottle when he needs something to drink with his "meat lovers" Domino's pizza after he struck out at the local dive bar.

Wine

My game is too caveman for wine...sorry.

Wine

Quote: (01-24-2011 11:22 AM)Rocco81 Wrote:  

My game is too caveman for wine...sorry.

Ha. Don't let modern culture and stereotypes fool you and limit you.

People have been drinking wine since 8000 BC.

I would say its about as "caveman" as it gets.

Wine

Yeah ..I guess people have been drinking alchohol or some sort as long as man has been around. Some fermented fruit and grain could be considered wine and/or beer too I guess.

Wine

Quote: (01-20-2011 11:22 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Here is a little tip: Stop going to to corporate spots and make friends with your little Italian wine shop's owner down the street. Return to Quality.
Soon he will tip you off on the good bottles, give you free bottles and tax free purchases.

Solid advice. There's a small wine shop in my hometown I used to frequent. This guy never let me down on selection. I'd simply walk in and tell him what I was making for dinner and he would steer me in the right direction. Most bottles were around $6-8. Most of the expensive stuff he carried was intended for the wine cellar. The best red I had from there was Tinto Zamora, a Spanish table wine. The owner invited me to tastings, and would call when his distributor's came in to help in deciding what to buy.

In my disillusionment of American women the best they'll get now is a bottle of ripple and a hungry man dinner.

Wine

Wine

I personally keep a bottle or two of river from Germany's Rhine river valley every time i go there for business about once a year or so. I was surprised the first time i went out the the "wine castle" out there was much more then i expected from an area i didnt know much about, and it was impressive for the 10-15 Euro a bottle. Then again i am no means very versed in the wine culture, but i have a general understanding.

The thing for me is as long as my wine is from Europe, and cant be bought at the local supermarket, most Asian chicks are dying to get back to my place to try it. All that matters is the name on the label and whatever the current pop wine country is is. For example PBR beer is marketed as champagne of beers and the locals drink it up at hugely inflated prices. Stupid rich people believing everything they see on TV.

Wine

Alpha: Geramany has some good wine that people sleep on for sure. Also that was a quick leap from German wine to Asian girls. Any insite on that? Are other ethnicities as excited about the foreign wine?

Also Miller High Life, is the official "champagne of beers" (I used to deliver this stuff in Junior College) but is hardly worth bathing your dog in IMO. I do know that Pabst is huge now amongst hipsters. The same guys that order a $8 Belgian ale (tasty but absurd to pay that for a beer) will order a $2 tall boy of Pabst the next night at a different venue to seem "Indy" or more working class I guess. Used to be Pabst was the beer of auto factory workers, dock workers and bikers but now its just as commonly seen bieng pounded at the gay bar (pun intended)

Wine

Most Asian girls like wine, minus the ones who have an allergy to it (its actually more common then i thought moving here) The thing is people know jack all about wine. They know that good wine comes from France (not true anymore since i think cali and SA have had them beat across the board last year). The more expensive it is, the better is it (which was a way to make a killing in Beijing 5 years ago, had a mate importing Aussie wine that cost him 12 bucks a bottle and was selling it to wine bars for 150 a bottle). And other common wine myths. Since i have a bit more of a basis, girls tend to listen to me about wine, and a nice German wine is something they will never have had before in china, so it gets them back to the crib, since wine = classy in china. I was just using PBR as an illustration of how whacked marketing and buying habits are here.

Ive been in china for over 5 years continuously, and 11 years total. I tend to use Asian and Chinese interchangeably, since i only really chase after girls of Asian decent in china. Other ethnicity i have no idea about.

Wine

Got it...that explains a lot now. I assumed you lived here in US and just picked up Asian women in the US with German wine. It seemed an interesting point that I didn't understand fully. Thanks!

Wine

Quote: (01-24-2011 09:26 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

BostonBMW,

"I am willing drop a hundred or so on a good bottle."

For a special occasion? Or just to sit in the home bar?

The reason I ask is a $100 plus bottle is pretty unnecessary in a home bar wine collection of just one.

You don't want your idiot drunk buddy to crack the bottle when he needs something to drink with his "meat lovers" Domino's pizza after he struck out at the local dive bar.

I am not really a wine drinker, so I wouldn't be popping that bottle at any random time, but your point is well taken. I want something that's respectable, in case I run into a wine snobette who doesn't drink the cheap trader joe stuff. Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to pop open a bottle. I like wine with a good dinner (steak, fish) at a top notch spot, and it makes be incredibly drowsy.

As for the buddies, I don't keep cats that are into Dominoes meat lovers or amy of their concoctions. Even when my friends are over, I have an old italian lady who lives down the street who cooks for me - nothing beats home cooking by someone who makes food from scratch.

Any suggestions on the vino?

Wine

If you have a smartphone theres an app called Cellar Rat that rates wines from 1990-2010 based on area grown.
It basically rates how the grape harvest turned out for the whole area, which is a good indicator of wine quality.
Let's say you have a brand you never heard of but you know it's from Argentina 2006. Argentina's grape crop was excellent that year so odds are that it's a good wine. Let's say you come across a 2002 wine from Provence. Horrid grape harvest that year, AVOID.

It's a handy shortcut when dealing with unfamiliar brands as all bottles indicate year and area grown.

Wine

The only deal with wine is that it makes me sleepy. But I think I may give up the hard liquor completely and stick strictly to wine from now one, for health reasons more or less.

Wine

Rex Goliath 47 Lbs Rooster is a great wine for the younger cats on a budget, the cab is the best of the bunch, its like 10 bucks a bottle another good one for the same price is Camino De Los 7 Lagos cab is pretty good as well. Both better than some wines ive had that cost quite a bit more.

Wine

Quote: (01-27-2011 04:29 AM)Jack Frost Wrote:  

Rex Goliath 47 Lbs Rooster is a great wine for the younger cats on a budget, the cab is the best of the bunch, its like 10 bucks a bottle another good one for the same price is Camino De Los 7 Lagos cab is pretty good as well. Both better than some wines ive had that cost quite a bit more.

I went to Walmart several weeks ago and saw a California brand that covered your normal wine varieties, both red and white. All were $1.97 per bottle. For shits and giggles I got the cab. Was it good? No. But most young girls in the U.S. don't know shit about the fine art of fermenting grapes. If it has a nice label and you tell them it cost $20 they'll swear it was the best shit they've ever drank. Go pick up the pinot or zinfandel, chill the hell out of it, and pair it with some fresh strawberries. The chicks will be impressed and will save you some dosh.