rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Erbil, Iraq data

Erbil, Iraq data

Most people would not think of Iraq as a travel destination. Baghdad was recently judged "the worst city in the world," which I am not sure it deserved even though it's a bit dangerous. But Baghdad and Fallujah are not the only places in Iraq.

There are places in Iraq that are safer than some of the destinations listed on this forum, like Bogota or Rio. These places are in the "Kurdish region," which is autonomously ruled by the Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) and in the north of Iraq. Erbil (Hawler in Kurdish) is the capital of the KRG, with its own parliament and ministries. It is pretty much a separate country from the rest of Iraq. Their security services do an amazing job of keeping the place peaceful, when you consider that one of the most dangerous cities, Mosul, is only 100 km away.

Getting there:

You can fly to Erbil on Lufthansa, Austrian and several other airlines, Royal Jordanian, Emirates, Turkish, Pegasus, Qatar, Air Arabia, FlyDubai, Iraqi, etc., see
http://www.erbilairport.net/Main/Main.aspx

Iraqi Airways flies from Istanbul and is often pretty cheap, but you have to go to a travel agent to get a ticket and their schedules are "flexible."

I don't know anything about the overland route from Turkey, but I think Chaos did it.

Visas:

USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, Japan, S. Korea and EU can get visas on arrival. Entry is for 15 days, which is enough for a good tour of the KRG if you want. I had no questions when I presented my US passport.

Hotels:

There has been a boom of hotel construction in Erbil, lots of new hotels in the $100 per night range, some less. Some are listed on Bookings.com or Agoda. If you want to go out at night and drink you should stay in or near Ainkawa, which is a suburb of Erbil mostly populated by Christians, so most of the nightlife is there. The Noble Hotel, the Sun Palace, the Classy Hotel and others are in Ainkawa.

The best/most expensive hotels, the Rotana and the Divan, are also near Ainkawa.

Nightlife:

This would not be a big swooping destination, but it is possible, mostly with the expats. Bear in mind that there are reportedly more "honor killings" proportionally in Kurdistan than in other parts of Iraq. The family of a dishonored girl will also cut your dick or balls off - it happens.

There are few nightlife destinations.

Deutscher Hof on Thursday evenings. This is a German restaurant run by a foundation. They have imported German beer on tap. The food is OK, not as good as it used to be. On Thursday they have a barbeque buffet and a firepit outside in the cooler weather.

It draws a nice crowd of expats, including some attractive women who are working as teachers and in the international businesses. It's also a place to network if you are trying to find a job in the growing oil exploration and production industry or elsewhere in the KRG.

Skybar at the Noble Hotel. This place draws more of a local crowd, so if you wanted to get a local girl, this or the malls would be your best bet. Mostly couples and groups, though. It has a DJ.

T Bar. This is in Ainkawa, a short walk from both the Deutcher Hof and the Skybar. It's the closest thing to a regular bar I've seen.

On Monday they have a Quiz Night in English for expats. It's a good opportunity to meet people, you can definitely score among the number of expat business, teacher and NGO women who show up. Also another opportunity to network for a job.

Divan Hotel bar: This is on the upper floor of this new 4-star hotel. Draws a lot of resident expats of the older manager/owner types, with a few women.

RJ's Irish pub: This is in a newer hotel in Ainkawa, can't remember the name, but you can walk from T Bar to it, about ten blocks north.

Not really Irish, more like a bare room with a DJ. I was not there long, a mixed expat, local, Lebanese and other Arab crowd. I did see some Lebanese-type hotties waiting to get as I was leaving and almost turned around, so definitely worth checking out.

Bar at the US consulate: This is very near T Bar across the street. Generally open on Thursday night, draws a few expat women all of the time, you have to go through security procedures which are subject to change.

Iskan Street: Definitely not a place of swooping but worth visiting for a cultural experience. It's closer to the center or Erbil, busy with tea shops and restaurants. 100% male except for old lady beggars and the occasional wife walking down the street with her husband.

There are bars at the Rotana and the Erbil International and other hotels, but not really a scene that I know of at any of them. The Rotana draws the oil and businesspeople, so another place for networking.

Jobs: Erbil and the KRG are booming. There are many oil exploration and production firms operating in the region, some are hiring. There are also teaching jobs at universities available. Emaar is planning a huge "Downtown Erbil" development, a smaller version of Downtown Dubai. You might be able to find a job there, a lot of the usual websites listed by Scotian on his oilsands thread also list jobs in Erbil.

Things to see: It's worth going to for the history. Erbil is said to be the oldest city in continuous habitation, like 6000 years old. The Citadel is the old city. I talked to a British archaeologist working for UNESCO who said the height of the Citadel is because it's been built on the ruins and refuse of the previous 6000 years of habituation. The Souk, which has recently been renovated, is next to the Citadel, and there is a nice public square there also.

[Image: 13092566335.jpg]
Citadel from http://www.traveliraqikurdistan.com

Another good picture, with the Souk (left) and the Square:
.jpg]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AkBotRUrB7k/UXrOuh5IeeI/AAAAAAAABHU/1o96DtWXR-g/s1600/photo-hewler-park-erbil-iraq-33925-xl[1].jpg

Malls: There are a few malls in Erbil, Family Mall is the biggest. There's a movie theater there.

[Image: 10235040_family%20mall%20arbil.jpg]
Family Mall

There is also Majidi Mall, I haven't been there.

[Image: Majidi_Mall__2010_12_04_h23m53s15__HA.jpg]

It's possible to talk to women in these malls. You will not get your dick cut off right away, but be discreet for their sake.

Sulymaniyah and Dohuk: The other cities in the KRG. Both are also developing rapidly. Not as much to do as Erbil, in my opinion, but some people prefer Sulymaniyah. You'll have to hire a driver to get you there, or there are also vans and buses, but I don't have the details on bus service.

Taxis: there are a lot of taxis in Erbil. I found taxi drivers in Erbil to be pretty honest and service is cheap.

Security: As I said, it is considered to be pretty safe, but again, it's only 100 km from Mosul and you want to be aware of your surroundings and not be staggering around drunk or behaving in a way that would offend the locals.

Erbil, Iraq data

Great datasheet Sp5. I totally missed the nightlife when I was there, maybe because I had a badass fever.

I actually hitchhiked over the border from Turkey, but shared taxis departs all the time.
My goodness, I'll never forget when my guy overtook at least a line of 4 km of trucks meanwhile we were meeting other traffic.

However Sp5, I'm really curious what kind of jobs I could score there?
I have some Iranian friends who moved to Erbil to teach English, but that's not for me.
You maybe know any website where I could look?

Erbil, Iraq data

Hehe, that's why I paid lifetime for this site, nowhere else do you get this.

It did make a change, in the hour from when I first read the data sheet, I fluffed around looking at Erbil jobs, got a lead to a good job elsewhere in Asia.

I'm probably not eligible for the job, but I have applied.

This site spurred me into action, I won't die wondering.

Erbil, Iraq data

The best thing I have done in Iraq is visiting the old Babylon site.

But apparently at some point in recent history it was taken over and done up as a place for entertaining. It is still deserted now and locals will give you tours for like $2

The less fucks you give, the more fucks you get.

Erbil, Iraq data

Quote: (03-25-2014 02:56 AM)Chaos Wrote:  

Great datasheet Sp5. I totally missed the nightlife when I was there, maybe because I had a badass fever.

I actually hitchhiked over the border from Turkey, but shared taxis departs all the time.
My goodness, I'll never forget when my guy overtook at least a line of 4 km of trucks meanwhile we were meeting other traffic.

However Sp5, I'm really curious what kind of jobs I could score there?
I have some Iranian friends who moved to Erbil to teach English, but that's not for me.
You maybe know any website where I could look?

Rigzone has occasional jobs in the oil biz: http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/countries/IQ/iraq_jobs.asp

Halliburton has a lotta jobs there: http://www.halliburton.com/

MSelect is a local site: http://www.mselect.iq/

also http://erbiltopjobs.com/ and http://www.kodojobs.com/en/

Of course, a lot of these jobs are for locals or will be filled by Indo/Paks, Bangladeshis or Turks, too.

I would suggest a Finnish company like Nokia which is doing business in the KRG, too.

Erbil, Iraq data

Quote: (03-25-2014 01:52 AM)Sp5 Wrote:  

[Image: 13092566335.jpg]

[Image: 10235040_family%20mall%20arbil.jpg]

[Image: Majidi_Mall__2010_12_04_h23m53s15__HA.jpg]

Might as well be on a different planet from the Iraq I saw.

Erbil, Iraq data

nice data sheet..... was there for a few days last fall and had a good time when not working! i blacked-out and went wandering around at 2am without any problems ))

Erbil, Iraq data

So did I miss it? What about the girls? How do you get laid there?

Erbil, Iraq data

Quote: (03-25-2014 04:21 PM)Mumbojumbo Wrote:  

So did I miss it? What about the girls? How do you get laid there?

I'd be hitting that Quiz night at T Bar, the Deutscher Hof on Thursdays and the US Consulate bar and RJ Irish Pub on Thursdays. It's possible.

Erbil, Iraq data

Story about a well-known bar in Erbil, I've been there:

Washington Post: Americans in Erbil make the most of nightlife near a war zone

Quote:Quote:

IRBIL, Iraq — For the first time since Islamic State fighters advanced to within 25 miles of this Iraqi city last month, T Bar Sports Lounge is hopping. Jimmie Collins takes a sip of white wine and brushes back a loose strand of hair. "Can you kill the music?" she asks the bartender, who turns down the dial on the stereo and passes her a microphone.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to quiz night," Collins says to the 60 customers, mostly Americans, at the bar. "Tonight's the usual stuff. We'll have two spoken rounds and three picture rounds."

Outside of this city in northern Iraq, Islamist insurgents and Iraqi Kurdish forces, backed by American fighter jets and drones, battle for ground. But at this bar, the American version of life goes on. Oil workers cluster around flat-screen televisions tuned to National Football League games and women's professional wrestling. They have returned after a brief evacuation, along with aid workers and English teachers who fill the tables by the bar's windows, tinted so people outside can't see in.

[Image: image.jpg]

[Image: image.jpg]

Erbil, Iraq data

was there within the last month... can confirm that all is normal and nightlife seems to be growing..... there is a Persian night at some fancy nightclub that is worth checking out but i can't remember the clubs name....... at least from my experiences in KRG those pictures exemplify how hideous the foreign western women are there!

Erbil, Iraq data

Kurdish girls?

Erbil, Iraq data

Quote: (10-07-2014 04:36 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Kurdish girls?

they're ok.... and it's possible to score with them but like said above you have to watch your back..... i know someone that does pretty well with the locals but he lives there....... big downside is erbil is really a small place when it comes to 'nightlife' so it's nearly certain you will run into the same people regularly

Erbil, Iraq data

Bump. I'm going out there at the end of the year, anyone been lately?

Erbil, Iraq data

The idea of living in a warzone scares the hell out of me.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Erbil, Iraq data

OMG. Never thought I'd find this thread here.

Former expat in Erbil here. This place is literally hell on earth for the game. Average ratio of 15 male to 1 female anywhere you go. Always the same 5-6 places to hang out. female expats who would be 1s or 2s in their home countries become 8s and 9s there.

And now that the oil price has gone down, all foreign firms have fled the place.

Erbil, Iraq data

Quote: (08-11-2018 03:34 PM)McBain Wrote:  

Former expat in Erbil here. This place is literally hell on earth for the game. Average ratio of 15 male to 1 female anywhere you go. Always the same 5-6 places to hang out. female expats who would be 1s or 2s in their home countries become 8s and 9s there.

And now that the oil price has gone down, all foreign firms have fled the place.

the oil price has gone down?

Erbil, Iraq data

I'm very interested.

1. Do they speak Arabic there?

2. What's transportation like?

Erbil, Iraq data

Quote: (08-11-2018 04:21 PM)lookslikeit Wrote:  

Quote: (08-11-2018 03:34 PM)McBain Wrote:  

the oil price has gone down?

Since 2014 ? you bet your ass it has

Erbil, Iraq data

Quote: (08-11-2018 04:21 PM)lookslikeit Wrote:  

I'm very interested.

1. Do they speak Arabic there?

2. What's transportation like?

1. Yes & no. Arabic is really more of a second language there.

2. Non existent. Get your own car. Or put your life at stakes using taxis