rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I feel no reward from work

Many people here seem to feel that working hard at a job is a masculine thing that is rewarding in and of itself, like going to the gym or something.

I feel great after the gym even though its hard work, I feel accomplished, and surely there are nice-feeling chemicals rushing through my body afterwards.

In all my jobs, I have never felt a sense of accomplishment or reward after working hard. I have always just been waiting for the day to be over so I can leave.

I enjoy working on music. I have recorded an album, that was "work" that I felt accomplished and rewarded for doing. But never some gig I am doing for actual money and not just for the love of it.

Do most of you actually feel accomplished and happy with yourselves after a hard day at the office, or after completing some big project at you job?

I'm the same. I live in the UK and wonder if this is more of an American thing?

I have a pretty easy job - and I don't mind it. But every second at work depresses me. I would much rather be at home.

I don't understand those who enjoy working long hours. Sounds like the same people who used to put their hand up in class and ask the teacher for more homework.

My job means nothing to me - and I keep asking my boss to give me the lowest marks possible in my annual performance review. I tell him to give my high marks to somebody else - since they may actually give a shit.

I feel zero reward or satisfaction for doing something to make someone else rich.

I feel a huge sense of satisfaction and reward when I accomplish something in my own business that directly makes my life better.

Completely agree. For me it is more the knowledge I have about capitalist societies, how governments work, etc. which makes me have absolutely no satisfaction playing a part in this through working. I work for what people would see as the ethical companies/institutions but even then I think it is a load of crap given macroeconomic powerplay. In general now I only work for money and at times because I can learn something, but I will never understand people saying they love their job, nor the workaholics trying to climb the ladder by kissing the ass of their superiors.

Perhaps I should start something myself, not an easy path, but given my mind state it is something I should consider and I would probably be more motivated to put my brain to optimal work then.

I don't hate work because of some anti-capitalist socioeconomic mistrust of the nature of work.

I just have more interesting ways of filling my day. A long lie-in in the morning being a big part of it.

Quote: (03-23-2014 11:32 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

I feel zero reward or satisfaction for doing something to make someone else rich.

I feel a huge sense of satisfaction and reward when I accomplish something in my own business that directly makes my life better.

This is it right here. It does depend on the job, but for me working a regular job gives me absolutely zero incentive to work hard. The reason is the industry I'm in there aren't performance metrics(unless you're an executive). I don't mind working my ass off if the money is going to me, or even if hard work was rewarded with significant raises/bonuses.

I feel more satisfaction when I do physical work, because I get paid to work out.
Or I feel satisfied because I accomplished something good, or my life is better because of such work.

I feel unhappy in an office because I sit down and can't move or roam around.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

St.Patrick's day is the busiest day of the year in work.

We make 30k an hour on top of the usual 15k. Myself and my crew literally sweat for the entire day while under the supervision of a "area manager" who demands we talk politely to one another, don't shout or do anything against "Procedure". She is over 40, never married and loves to promote females. It is on days like this where I can't shoot shit with my colleagues,keep them in line or get things done quickly that I really fuckin' hate my job.

My reward for breakin my back and bustin' my balls to keep the place afloat was a 3 euro smoothie.
I didn't get any extra pay, I won't get a promotion for it and as I'm constantly fuckin' with the managers, I'll be more likely to be fired than rewarded. For the last two years of work, I've been given a 5 cent raise.

There is no real reward for working for someone else.

Pft. I've been saying all this for awhile. I knew I wasn't a lazy, unappreciative ass. I just don't see how spending the rest of your goddamn life working for another person, making THEM more money, just so that you can go home, shit, eat, sleep, and repeat for the rest of your waking days, a particularly bright life.

I just feel like many men are scared to take the proper jumps to escape this reality (myself included). A sense of "uneeded comfort" so to speak. The scared hand truly is the one that never profits.

I'll never understand those people who kiss there bosses ass, enjoying doing there grueling, miserable work. You think the boss man will respect/love you anymore? Your just a damn replaceable cog, you just don't know it. You think the boss thinks any more highly of you for working hard? Yeah right, he smack talks you behind your back.

I can't wait to bounce out this. One day....

Open your own business.. The reward is money and failure is closing your doors and going back to working for others which you will have to wear on your sleeve forever.

I just finished restoring a old fastback mustang. For money. Could care less but am looking to build another sick BMX Cruiser for myself that makes me happy. I'll do that at work because I boss people around and do what the fuck I want. I get drunk in my office if I feel like it. So what.

Quote: (03-23-2014 12:25 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

I just finished restoring a old fastback mustang. For money

Love to see that. Gotta love them.

Sounds like the original poster needs a new job. Once you find something you love doing, and which you can get lost in, you'll be just fine.

I actually have my dream job. Not kidding. I get to sit around doing fuck all but shoot the breeze and read books. If I could - I would do it for the rest of my life.

But I still hate it - I just hate having my week mapped out and shit like that.

Also - I am not a morning person - so I guess that is a big part of it. And I find it tiring being around people for long periods of time.

There is a lot more to work than just the job itself.

I see what you mean and I'm not sure if there's a solution. The problem is that you don't particularly want to be at work, even though your work is pretty good/decent?

So you'd rather be at home? Wouldn't a life without that type of production have less meaning?

I like work, it's a pain to get up and go but, at least at this stage in my life, I need it to feel all-around fulfillment, to satisfy Maszlow's hierarchy if needs.

The highest form of life. Is play.

Listen to what the philosophers Colin McGinn and Bernard Suits are cooking...

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-25063-...#pid501932

I think that if you want to succeed in business you can't be someone else's drone.

Either figure out how to climb, or go find a different ladder.

Your post indicates to me the importance of having a plan. A plan carries you through the tough moments. Otherwise you lose direction.

"I feel a huge sense of satisfaction and reward when I accomplish something in my own business that directly makes my life better."

^This exactly.

Whether you have a job or own your business, the key is whether or not you are able fit it into your overall plan for long term growth/goals/vision for your life. Are you building marketable skills/experience? Are you honing interpersonal skillets like negotiation, sales, management? Are you building a rolodex of contacts that will be useful? Whether you've got your own gig or you are at a job, if you don't feel like you are building something that is in alignment with your long term vision of where you want to go in life, it's going to be a lot tougher to get motivated day-day.

I used to feel a huge amount of satisfaction when I was a cook coming up in the world. That's an apprenticeship phase and you're learning so much every day that you don't think about how you're making someone else rich. I used to come into work early to make sure that my station was set up and every night was a battle of wits to see who was the best cook.

Then once you start taking chefs jobs you really pull back and see the whole charade for what it is. I'm basically a contractor that makes money for some other asshole. You become much more involved with financials and there's this huge pressure to make money in your department; money for someone else. I stopped getting job satisfaction once I started taking chefs jobs. Most chefs go through this and we reminisce about the "good 'ol days" of being a line cook. It starts to wear on you and kills your passion for this career, but you're making more money, a lot more, so you suck it up and it becomes the daily grind.

Agree with the others. The minute your job starts to feel like a grind and you're counting the minutes until you can go home, it's time to strike out on your own. This is where I'm headed this year. I relate completely. On paper I should be stoked. I work fewer hours than ever and make more than ever, but I fucking hate my job. I hate every minute that I'm here. The hatred built up to an apex and it dawned on me that I have to be happy with my work or just drop out of the whole game and move into my dad's garage or something. To be happy with my work at this point, I cannot work for anyone else. I cannot sit through another meeting and listen with a straight face about how I need to increase productivity and cut costs while maintaining quality for some richkid douchebag owner. I cannot listen to upper management dictating new hotel policies that I don't agree with that I'm supposed to help enforce. I cannot listen to people's feedback about the food, even if it's good. I can't listen to any more opinions. I'm not sure if I'm going to open an upscale wine bar that specializes in grilled premium seafood, or a gastropub slinging burgers and cheese plates, but it's going to be mine and the only feedback I'll be getting is directly from customers. And as long as I'm happy with the product that goes out, they can take their opinion and shove it up their asshole.

Work should be fulfilling, whether you're writing music, building a transmission, or flipping burgers. I think masculine guys have a natural adversity to comfort; it makes us docile and miserable. Just like you need to give yourself new challenges at the gym, so it is with work. Time to strike out on your own buddy.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Sonsowey,

We should grab that drink soon. Perhaps break will be a good time.

Quote: (03-23-2014 11:06 AM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Many people here seem to feel that working hard at a job is a masculine thing that is rewarding in and of itself, like going to the gym or something....

Do most of you actually feel accomplished and happy with yourselves after a hard day at the office, or after completing some big project at you job?

My advice might not be the most common here. But, you need to have a job/career/business that you LIKE doing in the long run. Unless you can run something where you only work a very limited amount of time and the rest is free time, or retire early, you will be depressed unless you actually like what you do. It's too much time to spend on something you hate.

For any job, there are many parts. One part is what actually makes you the money - it's necessary. One part of it is what really gets you up in the morning, and one part is what you can build from it - some kind of legacy.

For me, I do feel good after work. I don't mind getting up to go, and I can see long term satisfaction from it into the future. If you don't then start planning an exit!

Quote: (03-23-2014 03:51 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

I actually have my dream job. Not kidding. I get to sit around doing fuck all but shoot the breeze and read books. If I could - I would do it for the rest of my life.

But I still hate it - I just hate having my week mapped out and shit like that.

Also - I am not a morning person - so I guess that is a big part of it. And I find it tiring being around people for long periods of time.

There is a lot more to work than just the job itself.

Why don't you do your dream job for yourself?

You set the hours...

Your satisfaction is in direct correlation with your level of work.

I am employed in a department which has too many people for the amount of work that needs doing.

So - it is only my dream job in the sense I can do what I want (mainly read).

I am going to ride out that gig until management find out we don't have enough work to do. Has been nearly ten years now. lol

To feel rewarded, you have to fix two criteria:

1. You are working for yourself.

2. You enjoy the process or the activities that you are doing. I'm saying enjoy because it isn't possible to madly be in love with them every time. No matter what you start, there will be some part of it that won't really feel too exhilarating to execute. But overall, it should not be something you hate.

For instance, many people start nerdy software companies even though their love might be sports or hospitality or something that they feel they are more aligned towards. But they won't follow it because opening up a nerdy company seems to be the "real" entrepreneurship somehow.

I really advise people to get their hands on a books called The Monk or the Riddle. One of the best books about entrepreneurship that is out there.

I do freelancing for clients and at night work on my blogs. I like the former and love the latter. The plan is to gradually do only the latter. So this whole endeavor excites me.

But what I really and truly love is training for and playing football(soccer), sex, hanging out with friends, traveling and writing books. This is what I ultimately strive for. That these activities are all that I'll be doing because I would be financially capable of living this life.

So see your life as a series of goals as you rise from something that you love to where bliss can be found.

Just don't make the mistake of starting by doing something you HATE. It should always begin with something that you at least like, if not love.

Quote: (03-23-2014 11:06 AM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Many people here seem to feel that working hard at a job is a masculine thing that is rewarding in and of itself, like going to the gym or something.

I feel great after the gym even though its hard work, I feel accomplished, and surely there are nice-feeling chemicals rushing through my body afterwards.

In all my jobs, I have never felt a sense of accomplishment or reward after working hard. I have always just been waiting for the day to be over so I can leave.

I enjoy working on music. I have recorded an album, that was "work" that I felt accomplished and rewarded for doing. But never some gig I am doing for actual money and not just for the love of it.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of job are you working? If your working an office job maybe getting a physical job may be good for you, get paid for working out and get those endorphins flowing.

I feel the same as you, I have a hard time being motivated working for someone else. I know that nobody will pay me what I'm worth nor do many employees show any loyalty or appreciation for the hard work you do so it's hard to bust your butt for someone you know will lay you off at the drop of a hat if it helps their bottom line just a little.

This is why I started my own company and though I still work my day job the goal is to quit and I'm well on my way to fulfilling that goal.

The only other piece of advice I can give you is if you do want to work office jobs maybe get a job where you help people or where what you do actually matters.

Just for example, if I was a teacher I'm educating kids and shaping kids. If I'm a paramedic or fireman I'm saving people's lives. At my current job nothing I do really matters in the grand scheme of thigns, same with past jobs of mine. At my past job if I took 4 hours of work home with me and busted my but maybe another 1,000 people see a KungFu panda ad...btw...i used to work in online advertising/media buying. But you get the point for me if I'm not being rewarded or paid what i'm worth by my employer I'd at least like to make a difference and working a job where what you do doesn't really affect anything in the grand scheme of things is hard for me to do as well.

I'd recommend either getting into a more physical job, starting your own biz or do some job that makes a difference in the world if that matters to you.