rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Time limit for eye contact?

I've been practicing holding eye contact with lizards (who I'm not actually in a conversation with yet) until they break it first. I'll practice this technique anywhere, even with ones who are unattractive or obviously in a hurry. Doing this felt weird at first but now makes sense.

Normally, the chick breaks eye contact within a second or two. But I got in a staring contest with an 8 who was working at the restaurant I was at. She held eye contact for about 3 seconds - I lost that one.

Is there a maximum amount of time after which we can look away? Will it seem creepy to keep it up too long, even if she does? Or can we hold eye contact all day if we have to?

Also, if we look at someone and she doesn't make eye contact, can we can just look away whenever?

Quote: (03-20-2014 03:06 AM)0210 Wrote:  

I've been practicing holding eye contact with lizards (who I'm not actually in a conversation with yet) until they break it first. I'll practice this technique anywhere, even with ones who are unattractive or obviously in a hurry. Doing this felt weird at first but now makes sense.

Normally, the chick breaks eye contact within a second or two. But I got in a staring contest with an 8 who was working at the restaurant I was at. She held eye contact for about 3 seconds - I lost that one.

Is there a maximum amount of time after which we can look away? Will it seem creepy to keep it up too long, even if she does? Or can we hold eye contact all day if we have to?

Also, if we look at someone and she doesn't make eye contact, can we can just look away whenever?

Not much point in just looking. If you're holding eye contact, make sure to give her a smile or a wink too - chances are she'll smile back, and that's your invitation to approach.

Quote: (03-20-2014 04:28 AM)Vroom Wrote:  

Not much point in just looking. If you're holding eye contact, make sure to give her a smile or a wink too - chances are she'll smile back, and that's your invitation to approach.

The point was to practice eye contact, not actually to approach. I was trying to practice that specific technique until it becomes second nature.

I like the idea of smiling and winking as a good next move.

Quote:Quote:

But I got in a staring contest with an 8 who was working at the restaurant I was at. She held eye contact for about 3 seconds - I lost that one.

If you just want to practice your will with this don't put a time limit out there. Keep staring until the other side breaks down. Also if you think it would be weird you are limiting yourself with your own fear there.

Quote: (03-20-2014 12:31 PM)Bad-Habit Wrote:  

If you just want to practice your will with this don't put a time limit out there. Keep staring until the other side breaks down.

Good, I just wanted to confirm that this was the preferred strategy.

Quote: (03-20-2014 12:31 PM)Bad-Habit Wrote:  

Also if you think it would be weird you are limiting yourself with your own fear there.

Good point. Being overly cautious is one of my sticking points. Much of my life was spent in places where approaching the wrong lizard was physically dangerous or where the feminists had a lot of influence. I'm out now, so time to change this.