rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I tried accutane but had to quit

I got the idea of trying accutane from Chris over at GLL.

I started last November but had to quit after three months. I was doing blood tests once a month and some of readings went too high.

I think the doc was asleep at the wheel. I raised some concerns about side effects and she told me to suck it up. The next month she is calling my cell telling me to stop and desist and contact a dermatologist.

[Image: lolwtf.gif]

[Image: fuckthat2.gif]

Should I give this another shot with a different doc? My acne is not that bad (just a bit on the forehead) but the promise of clear skin is tempting.

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Have you already eliminated all other factors that could be contributing to your acne (for example, stopped eating sugar)?

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Which side effects where you suffering and what was your daily dose?
Whats your diet?

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote: (03-15-2014 10:21 AM)void Wrote:  

Which side effects where you suffering and what was your daily dose?
Whats your diet?

It started with dry lips and some cracking. Later my earlobes started to get dry and scaly.

I was taking about 60mg which was only one step up from the initial (40 mg) dosage.

I was also drinking very little which is the main thing GLL points out -- you're not supposed to drink (much). When I had the bad results, she said it was as if I had been binge drinking. I was surprised because I got into accutane fully aware that I would probably need to give up drinking for 4-6 months.

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Lower your dosage to 40mg and see how things go.

When I was on accutane, I was taking around 60 mg at one point. Unfortunately, I got a lot of nose bleeds so I went back to 40 mg or 30 mg and was fine.

Trump is playing chess while Soros is playing checkers, and the other cucks are off playing Candyland at Jeb's house. - iop890

Have you tried zinc?

Have you tried going to a doctor who fixes the cause of the problem and not to try to cover it with a band aid?

How is your diet? Be honest.

Quote: (03-15-2014 10:37 AM)quino_16 Wrote:  

Lower your dosage to 40mg and see how things go.

When I was on accutane, I was taking around 60 mg at one point. Unfortunately, I got a lot of nose bleeds so I went back to 40 mg or 30 mg and was fine.

And how did things end up? Did you get a good result?

Quote:MidniteSpecial Wrote:

Have you tried zinc?

Have you tried going to a doctor who fixes the cause of the problem and not to try to cover it with a band aid?

How is your diet? Be honest.

I was taking a zinc/calcium supplement at the time. I was also taking a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar daily.

My diet was typical Americana. Sugary drinks (Coke) but no McDonalds/Wendys/Taco Bell.

I had a señorita at the time cooking me quite a few homemade Mexican meals which I'd say was an overall plus.

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Do not take calcium supplements. Ever.

Take a high quality zinc supplement. Take 25 mg or 50 mg three times a day for now.

CUT OUT ALL SUGAR. NOW. if you really care and want to make a change.
Cut out all dairy. Don't eat any processed flours. Do this for at least 30 days. Strict. You want to find out if your diet and lack of nutrients is causing your acne. How old are you?

I can lead you to water but can't force you to drink. If you really want your acne gone you will try this. You have nothing to lose.

So you should be eating a lot of fruits, vegetables and clean meats.

No vegetable oils and no fried foods.

Carrot beet cucumber juice as well. If you want good skin you have to start from within.

Don't wash your face with any product. Just cold water and don't aggravate the skin with rubbing.

A friend of mine fixed his problem by doing colonics.

He used to have it real bad, like "I don't want to be seen in public bad", now he goes out 4-5 nights a week, and keeps up the therapy once a month.

The con is making you believe that putting something on topically is going to cure something that is clearly an internal problem.

If you had only very small amount of acne, mild acne, then why did you use a dosage that high? I don't think GLL is a very reliable source because he never had acne which is why he never was forced to really learn about this shit for real.

I got very mild acne, mostly bacne, and started microdosing myself with 3x20mg per WEEK. After 3 months I have gotten good results but still pretty strong side-effects: dry skin, lips and rash in armpits etc. Also got very dry joints/tendons which sucks ass.

According to research, supplementing with vitamin D & E while on accutane helps with the side-effects because vitamin A(which is what accutane basically is) and D have antagonist interaction with each other. Don't take my word for it though, http://jn.nutrition.org/content/115/7/929.full.pdf

Zinc, D, Retinol, B-vitamins and avoiding crap surely help, but some people have different causes of acne where they may not really help. I have had mild acne since my teens and have tried(and I am currently trying) all this crap which is supposed to work, like many others who are doing the same without any luck.

It is hard to find good quality acne information on internet because acne is one of the most profitable markets out there and thanks to the millions of internet marketers, there are acne niches for every possible fatty acid, mineral, vitamin, (dry) brushing, natural oil/food/miracle shit, washing style, towel type, satanic ritual for acne, diet etc. where everyone is marketing themselves as the miracle cure with very convincing marketing pitches, "studies", personal experiences and whatnot.

Accutane works for most of the people and very well. It is also backed up very well by science. It is not bullshit. It works but it can be very rough on you if you go with too high dosages. You can maximize the absorption of accutane by eating it with a high fat meal(as far as I remember, studies show that taking it on a empty stomach may reduce absorption for 50 %) I am a lifter with tested high-end testosterone as a natty lifter, and as a result I have had horribly oily skin since I remember. Oily skin can cause acne and clogged pores. Accutane helps with this problem like nothing else -- nowadays my face is too dry.

Don't wash your face with any product -- really? I tried that too. Many who have large pores and oily skin will have then a serious problem with blackheads. It is not about avoiding all face washes but avoiding the bad ones and choosing the good ones. I believe that the best strategy to deal with acne is to treat it both internally and externally. Salicylic acid, BP and antioxidant creams have been shown to work very well for acne(search pubmed for that).

One thing about accutane is that it's not a miracle drug.

I took it for 6 months, and then a full year later went back on it for a month.

It didn't completely cure my acne, although it never got as severe as it used to.

I think acne is just part of the phase really. Eventually you will grow out of it.

Quote: (03-15-2014 11:55 AM)jariel Wrote:  

A friend of mine fixed his problem by doing colonics.

He used to have it real bad, like "I don't want to be seen in public bad", now he goes out 4-5 nights a week, and keeps up the therapy once a month.

The con is making you believe that putting something on topically is going to cure something that is clearly an internal problem.

Colonic irrigations Can work wonders for any over toxicity in the blood problem like acne.

Apple cider vinegar. 2 tablespoons(shot glass full) after meals. Drink more water.

Team Nachos

Stop drinking milk if you currently do. Milk caused most of my acne and when I cut back it got a lot better.

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

I also used apple cider vinegar but I put it on a cotton ball and apply directly to my face.

But once I cut gluten from my diet I stopped needing acv.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

The reason she told you stop probably had nothing to do with any of the side effects you mentioned. People on Accutane need to have frequent blood draws for monitoring because it can cause elevations in your lipids/triglycerides (leading to pancreatitis) and liver function tests--I'm guessing that when your "readings went too high" it was one of those 2 things. Accutane can cause the kind of skin side effects that you were experiencing, but that's rarely a reason to discontinue the drug. Evidence of the drug causing high cholesterol or liver toxicity usually warrants stopping it, though.

Anytime I eat chocolate it makes me break out the next day. Must be the milk in it.

Team Nachos

Quote: (03-15-2014 12:24 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

One thing about accutane is that it's not a miracle drug.

I took it for 6 months, and then a full year later went back on it for a month.

It didn't completely cure my acne, although it never got as severe as it used to.

I think acne is just part of the phase really. Eventually you will grow out of it.

This is true. It's not a guaranteed cure. But it's still the best. And if it comes back typically it's not with similar severity.

OP you didn't clarify how severe your acne is. If it's mild you could try things others mention. If it's severe and leaving you with scarring, I wouldn't play around and would try and finish a full course unless there is really good reason not to. Your GP has been vague in terms of why you should stop it.

Agree also 40mg/daily is more tolerable in terms of the dryness. It may mean you'll need to be on it longer but that's a better route to go.

I sent one of you guys a pdf on how to help clear up your skin on a modified Paleo diet without any drugs or cleansers, after I got a PM

Anyone else that needs it feel free to PM me

Quote: (03-15-2014 10:44 AM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

Accutane does fix the cause of the problem - at the level of the sebacious glands.

To state the obvious - a dermatologist is the best person to take advice from on this. Internet opinions are mostly just noise and not always well informed.

Quote:Quote:

To state the obvious - a dermatologist is the best person to take advice from on this. Internet opinions are mostly just noise and not always well informed.

It's only obvious to one who believes everything an "authority figure" says.

I took Accutane in high school. It would dry out my lips so bad.
I remember my dermatologist describing acne as a "disease".
Naturally, I believed him...when I was in high school.

What makes more sense to me now is that acne is caused by what we put into our bodies. There are certain harmful substances that the liver and the kidney cannot filter out. So the harmful substances are sent out of the body through the skin. This is what causes acne.

As an adult, if I start getting acne, I know it's because I've been eating certain processed foods. When I stop, the acne goes away.

Drug company-controlled medical schools set the agenda on what is a "disease" and what is a cure. Doctors are trained to prescribe drugs.

There is no way in hell I would ever take dangerous drug like Accutane again.

I do not believe that a lack of Accutane in my body is what causes acne.