rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I got asked to be a "foreign" DJ

Backstory: Traveling in second-tier Russia. Made a couple of friends over the last couple of weeks and met said friends randomly at a bar/lounge tonight. One of them asked me to be their "headliner foreign DJ" at their lounge/disco/whatever the Friday after next (8 days from now). Anyway, I know almost next to nothing about Djing and I told them as much, however, they seem bent of having some American/foreign "DJ" that they can promote and draw crowds. Also, I went through this article and was able to gleam a few nuggets, but since it wasn't 100% applicable to my situation I wanted to throw it out to the rest of the forum. I told them I would think about it, but no promises, so here is my thought process:

Against:
(1) I am receiving nothing in compensation.
(2) I would slightly have to change my travel plans, but nothing that couldn't be accomplished.
(3) I know next to nothing about DJing, especially, since it, I would assume, be for about +/-8 hours (10pm-6am).
(4) I don't want to throw up an airball and embarrass people I kind of think of as quasi-friends.

For:
(1) They probably don't give a shit about what I play, just that they have a "foreign DJ" that they can promote and bring to their venue, also English isn't super prevalent, so I think they are just looking for any angle they can exploit regardless of how shitty the product is.
(2) A story/adventure, something I've never done before
(3) slutty Russians chicks doing slutty things to the "foreign DJ" (okay I really don't truly believe this, but I threw it in there anyway)
(4) Even if I airball, the odds of seeing anyone involved with the event are extremely slim.

Questions:
(1) Is this possible to pull off? I'm thinking there's no way I can learn how to be a real DJ in 8 days, but can I learn how to be a fake DJ in 8 days??
(2) I'm not looking at parlaying this into anything else. This would be a one-time thing. Show up, do...whatever and yeah. Not looking to set anything else up or make a career out of it.
(3) If you recommend doing it, what is the best course of action? Torrenting a bunch of shit? If so, what? Specific tracks, etc? I am not really smart when it comes to music so that is another strike in the "against" column, but in the clubs that I've been in, it has been mostly top-40 crowd pleaser type shit, so I have exactly been *mindblown* by the DJs in this town.

Like I said, I am leaning towards "no" at this point, but I would appreciate any comments/suggestions/questions/omissions/additions from the rest of you out there.

Sounds to me like you should do it!

You've been upfront with them and said you're in no way a DJ, so that's fine.

I'm not a DJ, but I don't see any reason while you couldn't learn to fake it in a week to a 'good enough' level for this event. Especially if you're willing to learn up about it in the next few days and prepare. Sounds like a fun little challenge and likely to end up in a good story regardless, scary as it may be. It might just be a highlight of your trip.

Can't help you with the specifics, but I'm sure there's guys here knowledgeable in this area who will weigh in, and advise you on how best to prepare.

Just make sure somebody takes a couple good shots of you DJing. And make sure to report back [Image: biggrin.gif]

Worst case, just get someone else to run the buttons for you while you stand up there. I had a friend who did the reverse, it was 'story night' where he and his buddies invented new personas while at the bar. He was a DJ. While talking to some girl she said "thats so cool, my friend is the DJ here I bet he'll let you DJ for a bit" and she led him right up to the DJ booth. He had no clue what he was doing and came up with the following "This equipment is garbage, there is no way I'm touching this crap" and pretending to be a DJ Primadonna. The existing DJ got defensive and kicked him out of the booth...problem solved.

Just roll with it, your friends seem to be enabling of the scam already.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

I don't have any specific DJ advice but just wanted to encourage you to go for it man. It can only be a positive experience. Doesn't even matter if they like it. Putting yourself in a new situation with new people is always a good idea and later on you will look back on it and laugh and appreciate that you took a risk.

First of all are you familiar with the setup they have?

I'm doubting it will be Vinyl probably cd based. Most clubs have Pioneer 800's which are cool all be it a little slow to load from USB. Or 1000's which load from a flash drive a lot quicker and saves you burning cd's.

SLSK (Soulseek) is a great file sharing program for you to grab all the mp3's you need and standard torrent sites can fill in the blanks.

I'd recommend dowloading VDJ aka Virtual DJ so you can load mp3's and see which ones flow well together. (There is a Sync button too which automatically matches the tempo of one mp3 to the other on the other deck) if they are using Serato or any Laptop based interface a sync button should be readily available so you wont even have to worry about beat matching on the night.

No flashy mixing is needed and no effects unless youre feeling brave and a little dutch courage gets you there. Just safe mixing will do (blending intro/breakdown/outro) for a smooth transition from one to the other.

Write down your set on a notepad or something. Once you have decided on a great first tune and a nice one to finish it on, organise it in a way so it will be easy to follow.

Also don't forget to have fun and a little dance behind the decks is a must.

(I forgot to mention make sure to listen to every track you will use from start to finish. A track skipping or having some issue can cause a little bit of a mess)

If you are competent with music at all you can learn very basics within 8 days.

It's all counting and timing.

Also it really depends on what type of music you will be playing.

I would do it in a heartbeat. But I've also been DJing for 5+ years.

Play house music and keep the BPM around 120-125 work your way up, you'll be fine.

This is one of those, "I wish I was a DJ in Russia that random Friday night" type of chances. You'd regret NOT doing it 30 years from now.

Do it and smile about it randomly the rest of your life.

Quote: (03-12-2014 04:05 PM)Jeimuzu Wrote:  

First of all are you familiar with the setup they have?

I'm doubting it will be Vinyl probably cd based. Most clubs have Pioneer 800's which are cool all be it a little slow to load from USB. Or 1000's which load from a flash drive a lot quicker and saves you burning cd's.

SLSK (Soulseek) is a great file sharing program for you to grab all the mp3's you need and standard torrent sites can fill in the blanks.

I'd recommend dowloading VDJ aka Virtual DJ so you can load mp3's and see which ones flow well together. (There is a Sync button too which automatically matches the tempo of one mp3 to the other on the other deck) if they are using Serato or any Laptop based interface a sync button should be readily available so you wont even have to worry about beat matching on the night.

No flashy mixing is needed and no effects unless youre feeling brave and a little dutch courage gets you there. Just safe mixing will do (blending intro/breakdown/outro) for a smooth transition from one to the other.

Write down your set on a notepad or something. Once you have decided on a great first tune and a nice one to finish it on, organise it in a way so it will be easy to follow.

Also don't forget to have fun and a little dance behind the decks is a must.

(I forgot to mention make sure to listen to every track you will use from start to finish. A track skipping or having some issue can cause a little bit of a mess)

Quote: (03-12-2014 04:30 PM)Biz Wrote:  

If you are competent with music at all you can learn very basics within 8 days.

It's all counting and timing.

Also it really depends on what type of music you will be playing.

I would do it in a heartbeat. But I've also been DJing for 5+ years.

Play house music and keep the BPM around 120-125 work your way up, you'll be fine.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and after watching some VDJ videos on YouTube I think I can probably swing it. Also talking with them they'd only be asking me to play an hour set and not the whole night (thank god).

The only problem is the music, Biz recommended House music, but any recommendations?

Should I just listen to a bunch of shit and pick out 30 or so songs that I think sound go and go together?

Do it.

Make a 1hr 30min playlist. They say "only an hour", but transition time etc, plus if the crowd is into it...

Play it and just fuck with the effects.

You won't need to transition songs.

I recently found this site for house music. It looks like you can get some of the latest hits http://beathau5.com/

I was looking for the song Animals and that's how I found the site.

I'll probably get crucified for suggesting this, but as someone who knows dick about DJing, couldn't you just download some David Guetta or Tiesto concert sets and play those?

My god, this is like seeing a live showing of "The Emperor's New Clothes"!

[Image: icon_popcorn.gif]

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

For house music I'd recommend downloading tracks by.

Mosca/Lorca/Mr Fluff/Codec/Dusky/Boom Jinx/Andrew Bayer/Joonas Hahmo/Yasmin/Drums of Death/Disosure/Synkro/Sorrow/DFRNT/Volor Flex and anything on Black Butter Records.

If you need any more just drop me a message.

Quote: (03-13-2014 01:37 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

I'll probably get crucified for suggesting this, but as someone who knows dick about DJing, couldn't you just download some David Guetta or Tiesto concert sets and play those?

Yeah or maybe less known DJs so they don't realize. Just look cool playing someone else s set [Image: banana.gif]
Oh yeah,don't forget to report back,preferable with pictures, how it all went down..[Image: blush.gif]

What do DJs actually do during their set that couldnt be pre recorded beforehand?

Honest question.

What are they playing in the clubs and on the radio?

I like House music but the classic stuff, they might like deeper House or that new stuff. The reason I ask is to get a feel for what will go over.

It would be fun all the same.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Yeah, I'm definitely doing it now. I will report back afterwards. Thank god for YouTube/rooshv/internet.

I'm a huge believer in "do it for the story."

Aziz Nuts in yo mothafuckin' mouth - @aziz_nuts

Do it for the vine.

Do it man! Will be one of the highlights of your trip and one of the fondest memories of your life! Actually I'm putting DJing in a Russian 2nd tier city on my bucket list![Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (03-13-2014 07:30 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

What do DJs actually do during their set that couldnt be pre recorded beforehand?

Honest question.

Yeah I was wondering that too. Can anybody weigh in on this? What is the point of the DJ even being there and adjusting things on the fly? Can't he just do that at home beforehand?

I guess the answer is reacting to/feeding the vibe and mood of the crowd...each crowd will be different so the DJ has to be aware of it and regularly make changes in real time accordingly. Just a guess though.

Quote: (03-13-2014 02:08 PM)Espresso Wrote:  

Quote: (03-13-2014 07:30 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Honest question.

Yeah I was wondering that too. Can anybody weigh in on this? What is the point of the DJ even being there and adjusting things on the fly? Can't he just do that at home beforehand?

I guess the answer is reacting to/feeding the vibe and mood of the crowd...each crowd will be different so the DJ has to be aware of it and regularly make changes in real time accordingly. Just a guess though.

They have to be able to react to the mood. If the set has a bunch of songs the people don't like the DJ would be in dire straights to keep playing more of the same. That said, if you go to a big rave or to see any mainstream international DJ their set is prerecorded to go with the lighting.

I went and saw Steve Angello in Vegas last December. Hardly anyone was there so I go right up next to his booth on the dance floor, it was hilarious watching him turn knobs and act like he was actually doing something.

del

1 hour is easy.

Clarify what kind of music they will want you to play.

It will probably be house, being in Russia it may very well be trance, it could be techno which is similar but distinct to house (for all intents and purposes who cares about the differences, most DJs in this genre will play more typical house songs in a set too), also electro is also very popular across the world with few exceptions so it could be that.

Whatever style go to http://www.1001tracklists.com and find a recent 1 hour set by whatever DJ in that style and copy their track list 100%. Dowload those songs & practice mixing those songs before hand. If you get the hand of it mix the set beforehand and record it all to file, this way if you get stage fright you have a prerecorded set to fall back on and you'll be sweet. Make sure you invite all the hot chicks up to the DJ booth, have a card with your number on it to give out, dance around and have fun when you're not cuing a song up.

House & Techno: Carl Cox, Dubfire, Jooris Voorn, Marco Carola, Richie Hawtin, Roger Sanchez, Sven Vath.
Trance: Armin van Buuren, Bobina (hugely popular Russian trance DJ), Dash Berlin, Paul van Dyk.
Uplifting trance (this is sufficiently distinct from more typical trance so it's worth clarifying): Aly & Fila, Bryan Kearney, John O'Callaghan.
Techno:
-Electro: Laidback Luke, Michael Woods, Sander van Doorn, W&W..

@ridiculous_nicholas Steve Angello is hugely talented, check this out he is mixing across 7 CDJs. Yes he was caught playing a prerecorded set once before so I have no doubt he does this from time to time, but when he is going for it, he is at the top of the world.

I just want to comment that this sounds sooooo fun.