rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I want to buy a kettlebel - advice ?

Hey guys -- Im getting into one of those extremely busy seasons of life, and I am going to have to start cutting down my time @ the gym. I was thinking about getting a kettlebell because, from what Ive heard, I can get a great workout with these at home.

What size should I start out with? - I am about novice - intermediate according to the Basic Strength Standards chart posted on this forum. I weigh about 155lbs. I have never worked out with kettlebells before.

Also - can anybody recommend any videos of workouts with kettlebells?

I was planning to order @ onnit.com, but again, Im open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Quote: (03-07-2014 06:25 PM)se7en Wrote:  

Hey guys -- Im getting into one of those extremely busy seasons of life, and I am going to have to start cutting down my time @ the gym. I was thinking about getting a kettlebell because, from what Ive heard, I can get a great workout with these at home.

What size should I start out with? - I am about novice - intermediate according to the Basic Strength Standards chart posted on this forum. I weigh about 155lbs. I have never worked out with kettlebells before.

Also - can anybody recommend any videos of workouts with kettlebells?

I was planning to order @ onnit.com, but again, Im open to suggestions.

Thanks.

depends what you want to do with it. For stuff like KB swings the typical recommendation I've seen for an adult male is the 45 or 53 pounder.

I would suggest buying your first one locally, that way you can easily return it if you realize its too easy or difficult to start with. Then you will get a better feel for what sizes you will need/want for different exercises.

You'll probably end up getting more than one. I have four, all different weights, but I can see how people can accumulate lots of them.
Not video, but a list of the kinds of exercises you can do:
http://boxfitness.co.uk/news/a-comprehen...-exercises

For a fairly intense workout in the AM, I use an iOS app called "Kettlebell Workouts Wizard" that gives a series of exercises at intervals. It cost a few bucks. There are plenty of free apps I haven't tried.
Try to read up on technique before you start swinging a heavy one around; I've seen guys on fitness sites complaining about literally breaking their arms.

I'm not real big on KBs. I haven't checked prices recently, but I know they are generally a little more expensive. You can do a lot of the KB movements with DBs and get the same effect.

Try and buy local as shipping is usually a killer on heavy items. Check craigslist and stuff too, you never know.

The only other advice I have for you is to maintain form and posture. That's the number one thing I see people do is start swinging a KB around and their lumbar is rounded and they're folding up and doing everything that is bad for you.

I bought my first kettlebell at 25 pounds. I wanted to get used to the movements, and use correct form. After about a month of working on the various exercises I bought some 55 pound bells. I can use the 2 pood (70 pounds one handed or two handed now). Find a place that sells used bells, or look for a sale. In some places used ones can cost less than $1 a pound.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Don't buy a kettlebell. Instead make yourself a T-bar. http://www.instructables.com/id/T-Handle-Kettlebell/

Cheap to make and you don't get stuck at fixed weights. You can add or subtract weight to it.

I think the 55 lb. is to heavy to be learning with as a 155 lb. guy (unless you are short and stacked). Kettlebells require a lot of form and technique, otherwise you're going to injure yourself. I'd recommend going with a 35 pounder to start out with. You can get a tremendous workout with that weight that will kick your ass. Kettlebells are more about total body conditioning and ballistic strength more than lifting the heaviest weight possible anyway.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

If you're in the states, start with craigslist, and move onto places like Play It Again Sports and then your local big box sporting goods stores like Big5, Academy, and Sports Authority. There are a shitload of kettlebell workouts on YouTube. One of the things you need to figure out aside from starting weight is whether you want one or two of the same size. There are some good workouts that use doubles.

10,000 Kettlebell Workout is on my list, and it looks fantastic. Has anyone here tried it?

This is my go to kettlebel guy. Notice his footwear.

Get a pair of adjustable KBs (get the higher quality ones while you're at it too).

I have a pair of 32kg. They can be adjustable from 12kg to 32kg in 4kg increment.

Buy plates, build a t-handle.
Google "Tim Ferriss T-handle" and you'll find a great tutorial on it.

Quote: (03-07-2014 08:46 PM)Big Nilla Wrote:  

Don't buy a kettlebell. Instead make yourself a T-bar. http://www.instructables.com/id/T-Handle-Kettlebell/

Agree 100%. The only catch is that it took me a while to find plates that can accommodate the 1/4" pipe. Most were just a little too small. I've had success with CAP plates bought off Amazon, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Standard-W...B001103EDS

"I'm not worried about fucking terrorism, man. I was married for two fucking years. What are they going to do, scare me?"

to start I would buy a 16kg and a 24kg. The 16 will be good to learn your swings, and you will gradually work up to the 24. To start with the 24 you can pistol squat and deadlift with it. Try Rogue Fitness, World Kettlebell or Dragondoor to buy them.

To add on about Pavel, this is his new training company, and they put out great stuff;
http://www.facebook.com/bestrongfirst

- If you are 155lbs, go with a 35lb KB.
- A 25lb KB will become too light too quickly, and any more and you could throw your back out
- work up your strength with 35lb KB, and just keep increasing reps as it gets easier
- when you switch, go with the 53lb KB. You may end up using both the 35lb and 53lb in your workouts until you get stronger
- 53lb is a good go to KB for the long haul

Oops...sorry Vaun, just realized you posted basically the exact same thing. (well, reassuring to the OP at the minimum).

Do not make your own. I can only recommend that if you are tight on cash. Otherwise how are you going to travel with that contraption? And how are you going to do other exercises besides swings?

I'm also shocked at everyone using lbs on here, I've only used kg when referring to kettlebells. That said, 24 kg is pretty much the standard. Starting out it may be a little much but you will find that its a good weight if you only have one. Personally I think these are cool: http://www.demonbells.com/

Quote: (03-08-2014 01:50 PM)ridiculous_nicholas Wrote:  

I'm also shocked at everyone using lbs on here, I've only used kg when referring to kettlebells.

Well, if you want to be a picky polly, KBs are from Russia and use the "Pood". A pood is 16.38KG.

35lbs is approximately 1 pood (it is actually closer to 36, but close enough)

53lbs is 1.5 pood

70 is 2.o pood

This is why you see 35, 53, and 70lb KBs in the USA (which happens to put most weights in pounds).

Geesh.

There's not a lot of great KB advice on this forum, unfortunately.

Don't order from Onnit. There's no reason to do that, at all. Paying for shipping on a KB is a waste of money as well. Those demon bells look cool but again, you're paying for something you don't need. This is kettlebell work, not a fashion contest.

The T-Bar is amateur hour and you can't do one-handed movements with it. Don't waste your time. Adjustable ones are for girls in yoga pants. They aren't great and typically lack a thick handle, which isn't going to help your grip much or bulk up your forearms. No one who does serious KB work uses adjustable bells.

Go to play it again sports and buy a 16kg kettlebell. I prefer mine without a rubber bottom, but if you're working out at home, that can save your floors from scratches and what not. Doesn't make a big difference. They have new and sometimes used. Compare the handles and grab the fattest one you can. They come in different sizes, although it's not marked or labeled. Sports Authority has kettlebells but they're often in lbs and have a finish that chips easily. A finish that starts chipping on the handle will chew up your hand(s) in a bad way.

Most people do the swing incorrectly and think they look sweet doing it. Don't be that guy. Practice on your own and if there's an instructor in your area, shell out the dough for an hour of instruction. Find someone with certification. Tons of amateur kb "instructors" who do most things incorrectly/inefficiently. Refining the finite mechanics makes a BIG difference when you're dealing with more weight and/or volume. It'll also prevent injury. An instructor can also show you how to clean properly, which is important when you get into higher volume workouts with a lot of overhead work. You can figure all of this out on your own, but having a set of experienced eyes on you with a mind for mechanics is well worth the money spent.

Regarding workouts...I prefer Steve Cotter over Pavel, but it's all preference. This DVD set is what has given me the best results. There are 20 minute workouts where your "rest" period is around the body passes and they get you fucking shredded. The ab/core specific workout is ridiculous too. There are also workouts for size and strength, but require 2 bells. Pavel's stuff is great, but I prefer Cotter based on instruction, his background, and my results after making the switch to his workouts.

I would also highly suggest avoiding the overhead squat until you're supremely efficient and flexible. You can seriously damage your body that way, even if you know what you're doing.

Good luck.

Agreed on the t handle, it's not a Kettlebell or for anyone intending on learning the kettlebell. Some of the online guys have specials on the shipping, but yes on a budget try a play it again sports or a Dicks.

[Delete - posted to wrong thread]

Amazon is selling 'CAP barbell' brand kettlebells for roughly $1 per pound. Free shipping if you have amazon prime

Quote: (03-07-2014 08:46 PM)Big Nilla Wrote:  

Cheap to make and you don't get stuck at fixed weights. You can add or subtract weight to it.

I wouldn't risk swinging this overhead

My adjustable KBs are ProGrade. They are exactly the same build, size and quality as any Prograde KB which is standard in the WKC. Not sure where the girls in yoga pants reference come from.

For someone starting out, they are much cheaper and space saving than buying a whole set. I got one new for $190, and the other off a garage sale (ex-demo unit) for $100.

Here it is: http://www.ironedge.com.au/store/aussie-...ebell.html

Of course if you have the space and cash, buy the whole set.

The T-Handle ghettobell is a waste of your time and money. If all you want to do is swings then just use a dumbbell or cinderblock like Ross Enamait. At around 155-160 my weight the 16kg is the one you want, you want one light enough to learn the movement patterns. I purchased one of the made in China ones off ebay for about $55 shipped, its ok but the grip is annoying, I'd rather have one of the pro-grade ones with the smooth, squared handle.

This website has cast iron kettlebells for about $1 a pound, and $4.95 flat rate shipping for any order under $125. Only caveat is they seem to have a few sizes out of stock. Kettlebells are under the gear and equipment section.