rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Vegetarian food for muscle gain

As the title says. What can I cook and what should I be thinking of while I am on my all vegetarian diet. It's only going to for this month but still always wanted go a full vegetarian diet.

Thanks in advance.

You'd have to keep your protein up first. Look for things like different beans and seeds. If you're skinny and want to gain, you're going to want to get plenty of carbs (rice, pasta, bread, potato). I reccomend taking supplements. Good luck, I ike the idea

Thanks, I am not skinny just short I am 5'7(170 cm) and weigh around the 160 mark. Planning to hit 165 and that's it. Just need advice on what to eat and cook. But by rice to you mean brown aswell as brown bread.?

nogamenick is right. Protein is key for muscle gain. I spent many years as a vegetarian. I changed though once I hit a plateau with bodybuilding because I believe I was not getting the right amount of nutrients in my diet. I gained weight at first due to the increased carb intake but it wasn't helping me with achieving the look I wanted. When I cut back on the carb intake and added more vegetables and such, I wasn't eating enough calories to gain mass. I took a good amount of supplements like weight gainers and protein shakes to help. It is possible to do and still live a healthy lifestyle. Being a vegetarian for many years got me on a healthy eating plan that I continue to follow now even though I eat meat. It can be a bigger challenge to achieve your goal but as men, we welcome such challenges.

Tofu post-workout will NOT give you tits and low-T.

You would be doing yourself a solid while not killing any animals if you allowed yourself to eat eggs, whey protein, and cheese while dieting. Lacto-ovo vegetarianism is a smart option. Otherwise what you're doing is veganism, and that would place you at a disadvantage for building muscle.

Here's a useful link -> http://scoobysworkshop.com/vegetarianism/

I agree with Hades, I was raised that way and built a decent frame with a paper round that was uphill both ways....

If you want to go full vegan for a month just to say you've done it then more power to you.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

At the end of the day it's still all about calories in v.s. calories out. Make sure you're eating more than you're burning. Tufo is a great source of protein. I think the weight you're on right now is a good weight. But of course it depends on if we're talking about lean mass or fat. If you're trying to lose fat, make proteins your number one and cut down on the carbs a bit. You could choose to eat brown rice and bread, eventually carbs are carbs. The one's just healthier than the other

if you can get 100 g of protein a day through protein powder, milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. then you will be fine. after that just eat enough calories so you're gaining 1-2 lbs a month.

Thanks alot for the advice guys, i am used to vegetarian food to an extent having a Indian mother and all but sense i moved out vegetarian food has somewhat non existent and i thought that i would give it a serious try

Do your research if eating soy products. Well over 80% of it is supposedly GMO. Personally, I avoid GMO food whenever possible.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

Consider adding more nuts and seeds. Almonds and hemp seeds, if you can afford them, are good additions.

This video has been posted on other threads, but check out Scooby's bulking bars. They've been my afternoon pre-workout snack for a few months now.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

@Hades milk and egg will still be in my diet as it always have been. I am just cutting out the meat. And i thought that cutting the meat out would save me a some money so yeah more power for me.

@ birdienumnum thanks for link, nuts are relatively cheap here so wouldn't be a problem and what is gmo?

Quote: (03-05-2014 04:31 PM)KC4 Wrote:  

And i thought that cutting the meat out would save me a some money so yeah more power for me.

what is gmo?

Shouldn't be about saving money bud, decent food is one of the best investments you can make in yourself. I'm only just starting to realise this myself. You only get one body, it's like a high performance car- you don't put shit supermarket fuel in a Bugatti Veyron.

A decent diet will pay for itself many times over in other aspects of your life.

GMO is genetically modified organisms. Bad.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Yeah i know. But money isn't a issue just thought I'd save a little nore than usual hehe

In terms of bang for your buck you can't go wrong with sesame seeds. Loaded with protein, good fats and they're high in calories.
A 500g bag should only cost a few bucks.

Best way to consume them is in milk form.
Soak them overnight and put them through a blender. Then separate the pulp from the milk.

What Roberto said.

You can eat cheap garbage and pay for it later with poor health and medical problems.

- George Carlin

If you can eat dairy and you can still do eggs? You should be fine but it will take a lot of work.

Now in regards to if its cheaper.. thats another story. Carbs are cheap, but veggies for the most part are not cheaper then flesh/protein. Bell peppers for instance are usually 3$ per pound when chicken parts can be purchased for around 2$.

Protein powered economically if fairly cheap, just above bargain proteins like pork, sausage, eggs, and chicken parts but below beef, fish, and lean chicken breast in regards to price per gram, $/gram.

Nuts can provide you with good amounts of protein and healthy fats for cheap. Sunflower seeds are usually the cheapest.

Dried cottage cheese (Paneer) can be cheap if you get from ethnic South Asian markets.

I wouldn't fuck with Soy, its cheap for a reason... the stuff is garbage.

Eggs are the cheapest foods for the amount of energy, nutrients, and protein they contain. On sale 12 will cost you $2 bucks and you can eat 12 a day to give you 72 grams of protein. To put it into perspective a serving of protein powder, which usually nets you 35 grams of protein will cost you .90 cents - $1.15 per serving.

Rice and Beans is another cheap option and probably the cheapest complete protein combo you can east. Everybody reacts different to this combo but if you make this a large portion of your diet for costs just track how your body reacts as some people gain really fast weight of rice and beans.

Beans (esp. Soy) are good suggestions, something else to look into is flax seed. High in protein and provides a good amount of Omega-3s.

Quote: (03-05-2014 08:22 PM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

Beans (esp. Soy) are good suggestions, something else to look into is flax seed. High in protein and provides a good amount of Omega-3s.

Soy is counter-productive. It gets metabolized into estrogen compounds after you consume above like 30 grams of the stuff (a "Soy protein" shake would clock you over for example). You can only eat the stuff if its fermented, other wise its a junk food and shouldn't be a males (or anybody's to be honest) diet.

Quote: (03-05-2014 08:45 PM)kosko Wrote:  

Soy is counter-productive. It gets metabolized into estrogen compounds after you consume above like 30 grams of the stuff (a "Soy protein" shake would clock you over for example). You can only eat the stuff if its fermented, other wise its a junk food and shouldn't be a males (or anybody's to be honest) diet.

I like to use them in cooking, but other beans taste much better too. I don't think a little bit hurts anyone.

Quote: (03-05-2014 08:52 PM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

Quote: (03-05-2014 08:45 PM)kosko Wrote:  

I like to use them in cooking, but other beans taste much better too. I don't think a little bit hurts anyone.

I agree It doesn't. I eat Tofu once or twice a month, no harm done. It just can be a trap to make it a staple because they are so cheap (soy products), so a lot of people try to rationalize using them as mainstays in their diets because of that.

I just noticed that i might have come out as cheap. But there are a few good reasons why i decided to to this.
1. Change of diet.
2. Do something different
3. See what its like to be vegetarian
4. Save few animals lives haha

Quote: (03-06-2014 06:56 AM)KC4 Wrote:  

I just noticed that i might have come out as cheap. But there are a few good reasons why i decided to to this.
1. Change of diet.
2. Do something different
3. See what its like to be vegetarian
4. Save few animals lives haha

I don't want to spawn an ethical argument, but if we didn't eat them, we would never have bred them. Vegetarianism saves their deaths, yes, but it prevents their lives (which in most of the EU are quite cushy).

Quote: (03-05-2016 02:42 PM)SudoRoot Wrote:  
Fuck this shit, I peace out.

No worries there, just stating that eating less meat would be beneficial for me. No need to start an ethical argument. But I do agree if we didn't breed them for food what would it be otherway