rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Why Do You Lift?" - Getting Clear On Your Why

I was listening to some personal development stuff today and they said often you don't hit your goals because you aren't clear on your "why."

I've been futzing around with my fitness goals recently, and I realized the reason I never quite seemed to hit them was I wasn't clear enough on the why.

Working out feels good. I am happier and feel better when I workout. But goals around "getting big" or under 10% body fat haven't clicked yet because I don't have a good enough why. I'm comfortable and able to get laid at my current state so why push it the lizard brain says. After all, I live in the 21st century, when this isn't a survival need.

I realize this applies to many goals, and areas where I'm trying to move from "good" to great. I'm curious what why others use for their lifting why, and how you shift your mind from "good enough" to pursuing excellence.

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Good point. I lift because my body type responds well and quickly to it so it is an excellent use of my time.

I lift because it is provides tangible sense of accomplishment via weight amounts, muscles and veins and also intangible via masculine energy and confidence.

If I was a skinny hard to build type I would spend much more of my efforts on MMA

Why do I lift? Lots of reasons.

Because it gets me girls - I think we all start out here
Because it makes me feel great.
Because I love beating PRs.
Because it's as addictive as a computer game but more useful in real life.
Because it builds my confidence.

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

To build the physique of a greek god, the discipline I need and the respect I deserve without saying anything.

I lift to be the biggest force in the room at any given time.

I lift to socialize.

I lift to relieve stress.

I lift because I started out a twig and I never want to be one again.

I work out to hit body weight and strength goals. I also do it because I love the sore feeling I get afterwards. Feels like I accomplished something that day.

The other reason why I work out is because people thought I was a skinny little bitch when I was younger. I was always picked on in school. That gave me motivation that will never die within me. I have worked so hard to prove them wrong and prove something to myself.

Reporter: What keeps you awake at night?
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

OKC Data Sheet

Quote: (02-27-2014 07:22 PM)runsonmagic Wrote:  

I was listening to some personal development stuff today and they said often you don't hit your goals because you aren't clear on your "why."

I've been futzing around with my fitness goals recently, and I realized the reason I never quite seemed to hit them was I wasn't clear enough on the why.
ng

Lifting has so many benefits in so many areas, trying to break into down into "a" goal can be simplistic if it fulfills multiple roles in your life. Have been a serious competitive wrestler/boxer/martial artist most of my life, mostly lifted for performance, but would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the aesthetics of having a good body, or even just the peace of mind from my morning ritual with the iron. Just the mental toughness of fighting all that iron every day, or the social advantages conveyed by just being bigger and stronger than everyone you meet were worth the effort in themselves.

I think you might be conflating a lack of "goals" with a lack of motivation.

I like looking at myself naked in the mirror.

Being strong is the best.

Look and Feel Good

I like the feeling of girls being purely physically attracted to me. I like seeing their faces change when I take off my shirt, or so much as take off my sweater/jacket. I like dudes giving me space without my asking for it. I like that squats elevate my T levels and make me fuck like a champ. I like sexting girls a 1/2-naked pic and have them send me 2 nudes in return.

I'm not huge. But most guys are not fit. When I look at a scrawny or fat dude, I can't help but think he hasn't figured out, or is too stubborn to admit, that size and fitness are essential to getting respect as a man.

Why do I lift? To be a man.

I lift to relax from work.

I used to ask myself this question: if you were alone in a deserted island for rest of your life, would you still lift?

My answer was yes. Training is my favorite pass time. Kung fu master was once asked how he has desire and energy to train all day every day -- he answered: "It is a great way to pass time":

I also have a lofty vision for my body, I want to see what I am capable of and achieve the highest level of strength my body can handle. Initially, I never started training because I should, or it is healthy/improves my sexual market value or anything related: I started training out of necessity. I was entering military service and was completely out of shape... eventually I had 6 months of training behind me I noticed how much I loved it, how much it changed how I feel inside and outside, how awesome it was not to be able to sleep because I was so enthusiastic of the next day's training session...

I've got some written down notes why people lift(can't remember the source, got hundreds of pages of notes from many different sources). People usually fall in these 4 categories:

1. Compliance - "I should lift", you should lift because your doctor said so, you should lift because it is required to stay healthy etc

2. Means to an end - "I have to lift", lifting is something required to achieve something, such as a certain body or to pass some kind of test (like police/military).

3. For the experience itself - "I want to lift" - Finding enjoyment in the sole purpose of lifting alone.

4. Path to personal growth - for "enlightenment", for mastery. Using lifting as an medium for spiritual/physical growth.

1) Aesthetics - your self-confidence improves and other people view you better in all ways when you have an attractive physique (google the 'Halo effect')

2) Intelligence - exercise stimulates the growth of new brain cells and endorphins which have neuroprotective benefits

3) Happiness - not only short-term from the endorphins, but long-term from the sense of achievement and looking at yourself every day seeing a sexy looking mother fucker

4) Success - delaying gratification is necessary in every growth endeavour but with this one we can see the product of that work prominently, permanently and quickly (as opposed to having game, read books etc). This motivates you to have better self-discipline in all areas of life and reaffirms that you have the ability to achieve any goals that you create for yourself

To add the dimension of physicality to my football game (soccer)

To increase metabolism

To feel the endorphin rush

To grow stronger and intimidating

To do something in the gym on days there is no football, because cardio in gym is a complete waste of time (realized that after 8 yrs).

I started writing a list of reasons why I lift and hit number 13 after some 20 minutes, but then I stopped and deleted it all.

Because it's fucking obvious. Lifting helps you everywhere! It's as large as life!

You either have motivation for life or you don't.

Because I want to lift.

I love the high I get, especially after the first set. There are times now that I thank God I can still lift wieghts, because at 43 yrs old I can see there will be a day that I won't. Which makes me savor it all the more.

to be a better man

It's one of those hobbies that visibly improves my appearance over time.

Who doesn't like being the big swinging dick in the room?

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Because the iron never lies to me.

One thing I notice with the why is it clarifies what kind of workout I do.

If I'm training for MMA or training to look big, those may be two different programs.

Free weight vs. machine... same thing. You can look big on purely machine, but I find the deadlifts give a lot of functional strength.

I've also been reading a lot now about combining running with intermediate fasting for weightloss. Again, different program.

Right now I'm doing a hybrid - heavy eating and a few high intensity exercises on workout days with running and IF on non-workout days.

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Quote: (02-28-2014 01:45 PM)anonymous123 Wrote:  

Because the iron never lies to me.

Henry rollins huh

Because strength is central to being a man.

I just wrote about this in the diminishing returns thread, it's important to know the why. For me:

It builds physical strength.

It builds mental toughness.

It teaches me to be disciplined and patient.

It makes me healthier, more attractive, and focused.

It gives me sense of accomplishment.

And it makes me realize how far I've come. I remember graduating college tall and 160 lbs, weak, depressed, unemployed, dumped by my college gf, and having no sense of direction.

Without hitting the weights and starting BJJ I don't think I could have turned things around.

The benefits of lifting, sports, and fitness go far beyond the gym.